Where To Get A Millenium Bell ?

handgripperman

I was wondering where I could get a Millennium bell. I heard Alan Radley sells them How do I contact him ?

Edited by handgripperman

Alan and I co-created the dumbbell. Alan is very hard to get a hold of and if he was still selling them I'd want to know - we split the small profit on each dumbbell. The last time we spoke about it I agreed with him to smash the cast/mold they are made from. If this hasn't been done you're looking at about $1000 US as shipping on a 228lbs cast dumbbell etc is a bitch.

How close would a plate loaded dumbbell with the proper handle size be if you tack welded the the whole thing together so it was solid?

How close would a plate loaded dumbbell with the proper handle size be if you tack welded the the whole thing together so it was solid?

Its just not the same !!!

Get the mold if not destroyed and have one made at a foundry in the U.S.

Maybe you could rent it or something.

That's not gonna happen either. First he's buying one from Shane and secondly the idea of destroying the mold is to make the few bells exist rare and thus increase in value. Plus there's both the lack of profit - we made about £30.00 each per bell, the added expense of shipping to the USA and the new site I linked to yesterday.

Why? :erm

Why? :erm

It's been asked before and it's the physics of a solid globe style dumbbell are, regardless of tack welding or in my case tight collared but plate loaded dumbbell, different. I can lift way more on a plate loaded non-revolving bell than I can a solid dumbbell (although I think even more on what will be a thin for me 2-inch thick handled bell).

But if everything is welded together it is like solid - or not?!?! Anyway, it would be a shame to destroy a nice plateloadable DB in that manner - better buy a solid DB! :happy

AS ALREADY STATED AND DISCUSSED MANY TIMES no it is not. Ask those who own an Inch replica and a loadable thick handle and they will confirm this - as I did.

If the handles are the same diameters and the proportions are the same, then providing there is no turning of the plates on the handle, then it will behave as a solid dumbbell. The trick is to find a way to prevent plate and or handle rotation relative to each other. Not easy without welding the plates and handle all together.

I was asking as a training tool to use to progress towards an actual Inch lift. I don't have one and the few times a year I'm around one certainly can't be called training for it. I can lift it (a real Inch DB replica - American 2.47") with finger pressure onto the side of the bell to stop some of the rotation but how close is that - who the heck knows - it might be close, it might not. If welding one up out of plates is actually close enough for training purposes, I would make one up, if it's not I won't. I already have a plate loadable one - actually a couple of them. Wow, didn't mean to start a war here :calm

Check out the Excalibur DB from Infinite strength. It's a loadable DB that the shell is solid. Paul is the man to talk to.

• 11 months later...
If the handles are the same diameters and the proportions are the same, then providing there is no turning of the plates on the handle, then it will behave as a solid dumbbell. The trick is to find a way to prevent plate and or handle rotation relative to each other. Not easy without welding the plates and handle all together.

Untrue. Try it.

If ALL the dimensions are the same it WILL react just the same!

The main difference between a globe dumbbell and a welded plate dumbbell is that the diameter of the plates tends to be bigger than the spheres, this means the globe dumbbell will turn easier because there is less inertia to overcome, same as the flywheel principle! :rolleyes

You are wrong. It is physically impossible to get plates to occupy the same area as a solid globed bell. I've trained on both and have lifted both the Inch and the Millennium. Those that know physics have written as to why etc. So both they and I agree.

You argue against it but then prove it at the same time. If, as in the Millennium, the globe is (at a guess) 9-inches thick, then to make up a 228lb dumbbell using similar plates means a dumbbell that is not globe like - ergo it will not feel the same. It is far easier for me to pull a 228lbs plate loaded dumbbell with a similar sized handle than it is the Millennium. This is proven by the sheer lack of those that have done so.

How big is the difference of a solid globe dumbbell and a plate loaded dumbbell, if you lift them untilted? I guess it's there, but not as big as some people say. JMO.

The physical properties - weight and distribution - do not change whether it is stood on it's end, tilted whatever. The mentioned rotation 'adds' the same weight I have mentioned many times in several posts.

The only way plates would have the same effect as a globe, would be if you melted the plates down, and cast then in a globe mould, before threading them on the bar. Otherwise the physics would differ greatly.

I know a guy who can lift the InchDB righty and lefty (not a the same time). This guy lifts 5kgs more on a plate loadable dumbbell. So there's a difference like Mob said. Obviously not for everyone the difference in weight is as big as he said.

It seems that there is a very large misunderstanding of VERY BASIC physics, just check out some Newtonian principles! :rolleyes