Does Anyone Know The Record For The Hub?

THOR

Does anyone know what the record is for the best hub lift?? Or does anyone know where I can find the listing of all the records for certian lifts, so i dont have to keep coming on here and sounding like a dam idiot asking all these stupid questions. I just, do these lifts and I just want to have a number to shoot for, thats all... my best so far that I just pulled last night at fatboys house was 85lbs. I went for 90, and almost got it then I went for 87 and by then I was to tired, so I just had to settle with the 85.

Congrats - that is a HUGE weight.

To answer your question, it depends on HOW you lift and WHAT you lift.

Try the search function and you will find something.

This topic was discussed severel times when I remember.

When you use a hub device the question is how you lift it. Do you lift it only with your fingertips? If yes, congrats 90 lb is in my eyes the WR. Hubgeezer mentioned sometimes that he saw on a competition someone (dont remember the name) lifting 70 or 75 lbs. Thats the heighest weight I heard from on a IM hub lifted only with the fingertips.

When you lift it more like a VBar, not sure what are good or bad numbers. I think meatball lifted the IM hub this way but i dont remember his numbers.

When you hublift a plate then 90 is for sure the record!

Karl Nordberg own it on a plate with 75 lb!

Have you a photo so that we can see your lifting style?

I read in the gripboard forum that 90 lbs is the record on a plate. Use the search function and you will find the discussion about this there.

Well the best way to call the style i heard someone mention it as a fat bar lift. i have a vid in my gallery of me doing 77 1/2 for the first time, and that is where i heard someone LABLEING my style. I know that it is a credited style i learned it from kevin bussi ( a very strong young man) and i heard a brief story about how the creator of the hub gave an 80lb record to some 18 year old kid, and i lift the same way he does, so well just have to see i guess :tongue

Well the best way to call the style i heard someone mention it as a fat bar lift. i have a vid in my gallery of me doing 77 1/2 for the first time, and that is where i heard someone LABLEING my style. I know that it is a credited style i learned it from kevin bussi ( a very strong young man) and i heard a brief story about how the creator of the hub gave an 80lb record to some 18 year old kid, and i lift the same way he does, so well just have to see i guess :tongue

that is a good lift i use to do it that way to but when meatball did it http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=15242&hl= it was a question if it was a leagal lift or not so i started doing it claw style for me the ironmind hub and the vbar way to grab it is easer plus the weight pulling down in one direction the center helps when loading extra plates on a 45 plate its hard to get them balanced and puts more pressure on your fingers anyway nice lifting send in a photo to ironmind they might put it on there website

I think I know the answer to this as much as anyone, as I have had many conversations with Dale Harder, and he has spoken to many people about it, including Richard Sorin.

Plates. It appears to be Steve Stanko. John Grimek reported on page 72 of the Sept. 1987 Iron Man magazine that Stanko lifted a 55 lb plate plus 35 lbs on top of it. (Harder's Strength & Speed Newsletter, Septmeber, 2005) Stanko may have done 95 but Dale wrote "this claim must be regarded with caution until the sources can be documented. Hub lift research done by Kevin O'Rourke." 90 pounds is the closest thing to an official record.

IM Hub. Traditional "fingertips" method. Wade Gillingham years ago on his website stated he could do 75. In his case, my understanding is that is plates only, small IM pin.

I think Richard Sorin has done 80, but I don't know if that was plates only,small pin, large pin, etc.

Rob Vigeant, in his Mash Monster interview, said he had done 80. Again, don't know if it was total weight, plates plus small pin, large pin, etc.

I would tend to believe all 3 of whatever any of those say.

IM Hub. Vbar Method. aka Grab Method. aka Hub Any Style. In the summer of 2005, a lot of talk about "Meatball's"unconventional style. Folks arguing whether it was "legal" or not. His name was Aaron Provence, was 16 at the time, and was a friend/understudy of Richard Sorin's. He did 80 using the Vbar Method.

Kevin Bussi uses that style, and he won a contest with 62.5 at Kevin Meskew's gym in November 2005. At the time, he told me he had done 70.

Now there is Thor, who also uses the that style/technique/method, and has done 85.

I use what I call a "claw" technique. My bests are 65.5 in competition, 70.5 in total weight on the large pin (I weighed them afterwards), and 70 in plates only on the small IM pin.

The bottom line is that I have never heard anyone say they could lift 85 on the IM Hub using any type of technique, except Adam. So, it may not be "a record", but it very well could be more than anyone else has ever done.

As to the "legality" of the lift, I think it is its own category, and that it is up to the person holding the contest to decide whether it is legal or not. So far, except for Kevin Meskew, I think you can count on one hand the times the Hub has been used in contests in the US, and I doubt if it has ever been in any European contest.

I have not whined about that technique being used in contests. If all kinds of guys start lifing 100 using that method, then I will protest. :D

Oh yeah, Dan Praydis can put up big numbers vbar style, but I don't have the details on that.

I have also communicated with Randy Strossen on the subject before, and he made the IM Hub based on what the old York Gang could do with York plate hubs. He said that there was so much variation over the years in plates that his product was not based on any one type. The plates more or less inspired the invention of the device.

Hubgeezer

As to the "legality" of the lift, I think it is its own category, and that it is up to the person holding the contest to decide whether it is legal or not. So far, except for Kevin Meskew, I think you can count on one hand the times the Hub has been used in contests in the US, and I doubt if it has ever been in any European contest.

Hubgeezer

Absolutely, I fully agree with you!!!

the question is not if its legal or not, it is simply an other style to lift and train on the hub device!

Wow Hub that was quite a knowledgeable write up, and i agree with moser1972 that it can be just another way to use the hub and not be classified as a wrong way but just a different way.

And as for dans request on me getting some photos i will work on that ;)