Lgc Vs Fbbc Vbars

Mikael Siversson

Leading up to the Australian championship I averaged 302.5k in training over the last four workouts. In the competition I got 319.1k. The difference is normal for me as I always pull considerably more in contest than in training.

After the competition I changed my minimum lifting height from 50mm to 73mm. Just to get used to pull it a bit higher and improve my chances of getting a lift passed by the judges.

This makes it a bit harder. I am guessing that a 302.5 total with 50 mm blocks equals about 292.5-297.5 with 73 mm blocks.

All my workouts are the same when it comes to repping etc. so they are comparable. I finish them off by working up to max, or rather a max after some repping with a heavy weight.

I am lighter than I was prior to the Oz competiton so I don't have the same level of strength but I am working on that bit.

23 April

LGC vbar - 145(right)+127.5(left)=272.5k

29 April

LGC vbar - 146.25+132.5=278.25k

5 May

LGC vbar - 141.25+127.5=268.75k

11 May - no regular training, mainly maxing out with LGC as well as FBBC vbars, the latter brand new and unseasoned.

17 May

FBBC vbar - 144+140.25=284.25k

The suction effect of the brand new FBBC vbar was, as expected, gone now. My initial impression of the FBBC vbar from last week remains though. It is easier to pull the weights really high with this vbar. At this stage the two vbars feel quite different. The FBBC is also less painful, probably as a result of its slightly larger diameter. My right hand was a bloody mess at the end as I have not been able to heal a cut on one finger. This held back the right hand to some extent. I will keep track of the 3-workout average for both bars. This would cover a 36 day period for each bar. The 3-workout average for the LGC is currently 273.2k.

• 2 weeks later...

LGC vbar today.

Pulled 145+133.75 = 278.75k

Stronger this time than when I lifted with the LGC vbar last time (5 May - 268.75k).

Three-workout average for the LGC vbar is now 275.4k

The single FFBC vbar workout produced 284.25k

Next week is the FBBC vbar.

The FBBC vbar was quite slippery today. The black paint has started to come off every time I change a weight. The paint in itself is slippery and some of it is scraped off onto the area where you grip the bar. Rather than go through a few weeks of mediocre workouts until all paint has been scraped off I will remove it all chemically and have another go next week. I did manage a total in the low 280-ies but I don't count it as the bar was very inconsistent in the amount of friction it offered. If I made these vbars myself I think I would skip the paint.

The long and slow seasoning process that people seem to go through with the FBBC vbar may in fact be the slow but progressive removal of the slippery paint. The part where you grip the bar is not painted but there is always a small amount scraped off when you change plates and some of this will end up on the gripping surface.

Out-of-left-field question I hope you wouldn't mind my asking: How much did postage/shipping costs cost you to order the FBBC VBar from Fat Bastard Barbell? I want to order one but John Beatty's email sent me an automated response that he's on vacation for 2 weeks. I want to know how much the shipping cost is for me to order a VBar to Alaska. I assume you are in Europe so the shipping must be at least the same. Stupid question but I hope you will answer it. Thank you!

The vbar is a gift from Gamidon and John paid for the shipping. We want to know if we can use it as a fully comparable substitute to the LGC vbar in competitions. With seasoning they are becomming more similar in feel. It will take me another couple of months before I can give an educated oppinion on how close they are poundage-wise.

FBBC vbar today.

Pulled 151.5+136.5 = 288k

Two-workout average for the FFBC vbar is currently 286.1k

Three-workout average for the LGC vbar is currently 275.4k

LGC vbar today.

Pulled 143.75+137.5 = 281.25k

Average for the last two workouts with the FFBC vbar is currently 286.1k

Average for the last two workouts with the LGC vbar is currently 280.0k

Could you tell what kind of rep scheme you use? 5 sets or 3? how many reps?

5 set of 3 reps

Always the same routine. I never vary my vbar workouts. Why should I? ;)

To tell you the truth I have never tried any other repping scheme. I just picked one without really comparing it to other routines with higher or lower sets and reps.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got...

(or something in that spirit à la Coleman)

Well I got what I wanted. If someone takes it away from me I am going to get it back.

5 set of 3 reps

To tell you the truth I have never tried any other repping scheme. I just picked one without really comparing it to other routines with higher or lower sets and reps.

Was this the first routine you tried and just stayed with it or did you try others and then decide this worked better for you?

5 set of 3 reps

Was this the first routine you tried and just stayed with it or did you try others and then decide this worked better for you?

Previously I just worked my way up to max via 10-12 singles with increasing weight. That gave me good results as well but the repping gives me a more stable (and higher) base strength.

FBBC vbar today.

Pulled 150.25+139.0 = 289.25k

Average for the last three workouts with the FFBC vbar is currently 287.2k (284.25, 288.0, 289.25)

Average for the last three workouts with the LGC vbar is currently 276.2k (268.75, 278.75, 281.25)

LGC vbar today.

Pulled 148.75+135.0 = 283.75k

Average for the last three workouts with the FFBC vbar is currently 287.2k (284.25, 288.0, 289.25)

Average for the last three workouts with the LGC vbar is currently 281.2k (278.75, 281.25, 283.75)

Totally drained after the workout. Maxing out in the vbar AFTER a repping workload of around 3 metric tonnes is a killer. The 283.75k equals roughly 300k in competition but this is at a lifting height of +70mm. Not too bad as I am about 3k lighter now than when I pulled 319k in Sydney.

FBBC vbar today.

Pulled 147.75+142.75 = 290.5k

Average for the last four workouts with the FFBC vbar is currently 288.0k (284.25, 288.0, 289.25, 290.5)

Average for the last four workouts with the LGC vbar is currently 278.1k (268.75, 278.75, 281.25, 283.75)

Are you working on your base strength right now? Because the max numbers aren't that high..

Where do you store your Vbars and 2HP when not in use Mikael? I keep mine near the furnace room in my basement thats relatively dry but I still get surface rust continually if the metal isn't completely covered in chalk. Even then it starts to get a little on it. I was thinking about maybe a plastic baggie with a rubber band over the handle when not in use and something similar to the 2hp when not in use. Wondering if you did something along those lines.

Are you working on your base strength right now? Because the max numbers aren't that high..

Last workout with the LGC vbar was 283.75k.

This was achieved using two 70mm high wooden blocks. Competition requires 50 mm blocks. The higher you pull the weight the harder it is. With a 50mm block I would easily have pulled 2.5k more each hand which would give a 288.75k total.

This figure does not represent a max lift but rather a max lift after considerable repping (as explained above).

Right now I am not doing any reverse style bending which normally add about 10k to my right hand vbar.

I will pull heavy weights when it matters. ;)

Where do you store your Vbars and 2HP when not in use Mikael? I keep mine near the furnace room in my basement thats relatively dry but I still get surface rust continually if the metal isn't completely covered in chalk. Even then it starts to get a little on it. I was thinking about maybe a plastic baggie with a rubber band over the handle when not in use and something similar to the 2hp when not in use. Wondering if you did something along those lines.

I'll ask elsewhere, thnx.

Sorry, forgot to reply.

I store my pinch stuff and vbar in my office actually as it is the driest room. Best would be to simply check the relative humidity and then store the equipment in the driest possible place. There is minute amounts of rust on my vbar but not on the pinch discs. I have not considered more extreme storage measures for the vbar as the amount of rust is not enough to be of any concern as this stage.

Basements tend to be humid.

My gym is in my garage - unheated except when I warm it up before lifting in the winter. I keep all my equipment out there - my v-bars have developed little or no rust. My copy of David's Euro pinch set up, on the other hand, kept developing a very light coating of rust under the chalk until I finally chromed the darn thing. It's more of an industrial anti rust chrome (sort of golden color) instead of the super slick car bumper type chrome. It doesn't hold chalk very well but surprisingly - it is only a little bit harder than the Euro Pinch set-ups I have competed on. For training it's great. In my case the rust seemed to be a function of the condensation that formed during the heat up - cool down phases in the building.

Yea the metal plates on my 2hp are the ones that seem to rust up the most. I'm gonna try keeping it upstairs and see if that makes a diff at all. Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Had a little break from training.

I will not continue my log as the two vbars are not close enough in difficulty for me to make it worth the extra effort of constantly switching between two different vbars. Better to grease the groove using the brand that will be used in the Oz championship.

The best LGC workout is not even equal to my worse one with the FBBC vbar.

I will resume my training with the LGC vbar and focus on the next Oz championship in February next year.

I need to get considerably stronger as I expect my total vbar WR to fall on July 29 in Michigan.

I enjoyed using the FBBC vbar though as its slightly larger diameter makes the lift slightly less painful. I also found it easier to pull the vbar higher with the FBBC one.

I will experiment with a few supplementary exercises. I also would like to bring my left hand strength up a bit in this lift.

I started this log as some people were interested in finding out if the two vbar brands are fully comparable.