Pinch Grip

Ironisland

I am training my pinch grip. I am using 3 10 pound plates for pinch gripping. I cannot handle 4 10lb plates together yet. How do I increase my pinch grip strength to handle the 4 plates together?

I figured I could use 2 25lb plates together and practice that, which I can do, but the width is reduced and weight increased. Or should I go with 4 or 5 5lbs plates together which is more wider and less weight and more difficult for me to do. My question is, is the 4 or 5 5lb plate width more important than the 2 heavier 50lb plates weights to increase my pinch grip strength and get to hold the 4 10lb plates? Thanks.

I'm not sure this topic belongs under grip FAQ, but Wannagrip will move it if he thinks it should be moved.

It seems that the issue here is that you need to improve wide pinch strength to handle the greater width of 4 10's. If you're using your plates at home, you have many options, but in a gym, you'll likely be limited as to what you can do.

If you can tape the 4 10's together, they won't slip apart as easily and will be easier to lift. If you still cannot left them that way, then you can do negatives with them where you lift them assisted by the other hand, and then let go and hold until failure. If it still slips right thru your grasp, then you'll need to lower weight and tape a 5 lb plate into position in the bundle rather than a 10.

If you cannot tape the plates together maybe you are strong enough to hold negs with 4 untaped 10's for a couple/few seconds. If not, then I suggest pinching as many 5's as needed to get to the approximate width of 4 tens. If that is too easy, then add some weight to it with a loading pin thru the center.

The key thing it to get your hand used to exerting more pinch strength at a wider width than it currently is doing.

Also, you'll want to strengthen your thumb and 2" and 3" pony clamps are good for this for wide pinch.

If you want a cheap place to buy plates, I suggest Play It Again Sports since used plate weight is normally about 30 cent/lb. I'll be heading to at least 1 nearby one tomorrow, to try to find a couple tens that match the size of my others, since I don't have 5 that come close to matching and I'm painfully close to finally getting 5 tens up (which is a wide stretch for me since I don't have large hands).

.. neilkaz ..

I am training my pinch grip. I am using 3 10 pound plates for pinch gripping. I cannot handle 4 10lb plates together yet. How do I increase my pinch grip strength to handle the 4 plates together?

I would recommend working on 4-10's with a bar through the plates. You could also keep working on 3-10's, with a 5 lb. plate added to the end.

thank you Neilkaz and David. I will use both of your idea.

Tim

thank you Neilkaz and David. I will use both of your idea.

Tim

Good luck and let us know how you do, and get your hands used to that wider width and I think you'll soon do 4 10's.

.. neilkaz ..

I figured I could use 2 25lb plates together and practice that, which I can do, but the width is reduced and weight increased. Or should I go with 4 or 5 5lbs plates together which is more wider and less weight and more difficult for me to do. My question is, is the 4 or 5 5lb plate width more important than the 2 heavier 50lb plates weights to increase my pinch grip strength and get to hold the 4 10lb plates? Thanks.

do you use hand chalk to lift with chalk up the weights and your hands and try again some paint is as slick as glass . good luck you will get it soon

Thanks Dan, I do use chalk at my gym. I dont know about the paint though, that would not be popular for me at the gym. I would have to get my own plates for home use and try that.

Thanks Dan, I do use chalk at my gym. I dont know about the paint though, that would not be popular for me at the gym. I would have to get my own plates for home use and try that.

I don't think Dan was recommending using paint, but that he was mentioning that some types of paint are very slippery !

.. neilkaz ..

I don't think Dan was recommending using paint, but that he was mentioning that some types of paint are very slippery !

.. neilkaz ..

I use a peice of PVC piping and 2 clips on either side of my 10lb plates to keep them together. Fits the olympic weights perfect and has increased my pinch strength a lot

I am pinch gripping my powerball and using it like that. I seem to get a decent amount of burn with it like that even at low speeds.

Aaron

• 1 month later...

and also when the 3 10s becomes very easy then go for 4 10s