Ggc 2006...calling All Big Dogs!

Too Tall

Are any of the big dogs going to compete in the GGC :rock ? Show? Clay? Heath? Jad? Big Steve? Dave Thorton? Kevin B.? Dave Morton? Eli K.? and there are many others :rock:rock:rock

I know Big Jedd, Eli (red bender), Smitty, and most all the NC boys, and the Ohio blob masters, and Geezer will be there...but come on lets make this comp one to remember :rock:rock:rock

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• madss

• mobsterone

• Too Tall

I'm saving myself for the (hoped for) worlds. I'm hoping Jedd and Smitty will host it. The GGC 2006, if the worlds doesn't happen, is too close to the British for me.

World's? is there a worlds coming??

It all depends but there is a hoped for Worlds possibly being held in the US AFTER the GGC (ie: Sept). Next years is hoped to be in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible Worlds? I hope so of course but who knows - I KNOW the GGC is coming so I'm going to the sure thing for now and if they have and if I get lucky enough to qualify for the Worlds - I'll go to that as well. While I completely understand those from Europe and far away not coming if there really are going to be Worlds due to travel expenses, who else is coming to GGC this year? I mean, the GripBoard has tons of members, and lots of people seem to have an interest in competitions, especially judging by the WHSA posts here a while back. It really seems only fair that if Worlds are planned, that an announcement be made about it so plans can be put together by all concerned. Guys, the GGC looks like it is going to be the biggest grip contest this year - and from the "rumors" I'm hearing - a lot of the "big dogs" are staying home - what's up?

I think a World Championship worth the name needs to have dates, events, agreements among organisers of main grip competitions, etc. sorted out a year in advance. Otherwise, there will probably only be a couple of Europeans coming over. Those of us who have families with kids can't just jump on a plane with a few months notice.

Because the 'big dogs' wanna compete on the world stage? GGC is good but it is effectively the US nationals.

Jedd and I are putting our efforts into GGC this year. I have spoken, via PM's, with some Europeans about their potential participation if there was going to be a Worlds in 2006, but it seems they will be unable to make it.

I think the best bet for Worlds will be in 2007. I want to make sure there is an International contingent so that it will have legitimacy.

GGC 2006 will be again the US Championships and I hope everyone comes out to support this great event.

GGC 2006 will be again the US Championships and I hope everyone comes out to support this great event.

Who in the USA wouldn't want a chance to be the "US Champ"? This is going to be a jam up intense competiton :rock

Defending champ Jedd Johnson will be there :rock :rock :rock

We have all these men that do all these amazing things in grip on this board...and we cannot get any to make up their mind and come out and show case those skills in front of some of the all-time legends of the sport.

I have talked with a few that have previous strongman plans, or have to work, or are going on vacation on that date...and all that is very understandable...and understood :rock

But, there are several great competitors on here that would do well...but they say that they do not have enough time to get ready or they do not like the events or they were hoping it would be in Sept. to have more time to train. If you are on the fence...or not sure how you would do in certain events because who will and want be there...that is no excuse. If funds are not available for travel this go around...that all is understood too...and I am not talking to you.

I drove 15 hours to PA last year for the GGC...and I did not do good in grippers, or the sledge...and I hate those 2 events because I suck at them...but that did not stop me from driving that entire way. I knew that I would not win...but 3rd was not bad and well worth the trip. This was also my first grip competition.

I am not calling anyone out...and those of you that know me already know this.

Lets go...lots of you have been training for years...it is time to get a mean on :rock

10 weeks till game time...those that are going should know by now...lets go ahead and get those entry forms in and start making a list of competitors right away :rock

See you all there,

Chad Woodall

I am pretty sure most of these guys you are referring to Chad are hesitating because of the very strong inclination towards a large hands contest. Winning a small hands division is still not quite the same as taking the large hands division as the latter winner would lift more with the events included.

The promoters took a risk by taking on board IM (credit card set) and Sorin (blob by the face).

I think it is perfectly fine to have these events but it will probably not attract as many of the strongest as it would if the contest had been less hand size dependant.

I quote: "Defending champ Jedd Johnson will be there"

Well Chad, that is the reason. Who cares about the 2005 GGC champion of the small hand division? Not you (or you would have mentioned Tommy) so why would these smaller hand guys make the effort and compete? I am sure you admire Tommy for his strength but it is human nature to remember the overall (large hands) champion.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Thanks for the discussion.

I really hope a lot of guys come out to this contest. It should be in a much more friendly location, which was one of the main criticisms we got last year on our feedback form - "too far to drive," "have it in Pittsburgh or Ohio..." Well, it's not in those exact places, but it is definitely more toward the southern and central regions.

I guess I do not agree that the events are taylored toward large handed individuals. I see the cc set as just another challenge. We have an array of grippers to try for, and you can drop down if you fail to close the first gripper you choose. With the pinch, and v-bar, these are too events where hand size should not matter, due to their adjustable and small nature.

The other events were partially chosen because they involve commonplace implements. The rolling thunder is one of the most common implements I know of, next to grippers. If people don't own a rolling thunder, they normally have a loadable inch dumbell or another rolling handle from FBBC, Mannino, Edgin, or other variations. The implements are available to train on. The only event I see where it is going to be really challenging for the smaller handed individuals is the blob event. But if I can watch Brad Martin with hands shorter than 7.5 inches lift the blob, then other dudes should be able to accomplish this.

Remember that the points system is in effect. Points are being awarded for the execution of designated weights. You should train to hit those weights. Rack up the points that you can and work to be even with both hands to hit those bonus points.

Everyone will have a great time at this contest. Best of luck in training to both hand groups.

-Jedd-

Well I would go if I could. With the standard vbar and pinch there is always the option of going for a record for example.

I am pretty sure most of these guys you are referring to Chad are hesitating because of the very strong inclination towards a large hands contest. Winning a small hands division is still not quite the same as taking the large hands division as the latter winner would lift more with the events included.

The promoters took a risk by taking on board IM (credit card set) and Sorin (blob by the face).

I think it is perfectly fine to have these events but it will probably not attract as many of the strongest as it would if the contest had been less hand size dependant.

I quote: "Defending champ Jedd Johnson will be there"

Well Chad, that is the reason. Who cares about the 2005 GGC champion of the small hand division? Not you (or you would have mentioned Tommy) so why would these smaller hand guys make the effort and compete? I am sure you admire Tommy for his strength but it is human nature to remember the overall (large hands) champion.

Inclincation towards large hands? Have you forgotten that we're having two seperate groups ( large hand and small hand) that will be competing? Big hand guys will always be able to do more than smaller hand guys when it comes to grip feats. And the same could be said of any strength contest, that's why they have weight classes and such. Part of the reason why we're having the CC set and the Blob event is to keep things interesting, who wants to see the exact same events contested year after year? Step a little out of your comfort zone and train a for a few new angles, this is grip strength at it's best! No more excuses guys, train and come have fun!

Thanks for the discussion.

I really hope a lot of guys come out to this contest. It should be in a much more friendly location, which was one of the main criticisms we got last year on our feedback form - "too far to drive," "have it in Pittsburgh or Ohio..." Well, it's not in those exact places, but it is definitely more toward the southern and central regions.

I guess I do not agree that the events are taylored toward large handed individuals. I see the cc set as just another challenge. We have an array of grippers to try for, and you can drop down if you fail to close the first gripper you choose. With the pinch, and v-bar, these are too events where hand size should not matter, due to their adjustable and small nature.

The other events were partially chosen because they involve commonplace implements. The rolling thunder is one of the most common implements I know of, next to grippers. If people don't own a rolling thunder, they normally have a loadable inch dumbell or another rolling handle from FBBC, Mannino, Edgin, or other variations. The implements are available to train on. The only event I see where it is going to be really challenging for the smaller handed individuals is the blob event. But if I can watch Brad Martin with hands shorter than 7.5 inches lift the blob, then other dudes should be able to accomplish this.

Remember that the points system is in effect. Points are being awarded for the execution of designated weights. You should train to hit those weights. Rack up the points that you can and work to be even with both hands to hit those bonus points.

Everyone will have a great time at this contest. Best of luck in training to both hand groups.

-Jedd-

Very well said Jedd...and very true :rock

Tommy is in a league of his on in grip...trust me :rock I have not talked to Tommy as I have the others like Jedd. I know Jedd will be there of course...but since I had not spoken to Tommy...I did not want to speak for him and say he would be there...and he not be. Forget hand size...Tommy can compete with anyone :bow

Big hand guys will always be able to do more than smaller hand guys when it comes to grip feats.

Tell that to David Horne.

Big hand guys will always be able to do more than smaller hand guys when it comes to grip feats.

Tell that to David Horne.

David is the man, no doubt! I was speaking in general terms- big guys have an advantage over smaller guys, all other things equal. This is why we have different classes to compete in.

Edited by anson

I -just like everyone - would like a contest of the events I consider my favorites or the ones I'm strongest at. But every contest can't be everybody's "best" events. And if I'm weaker at CCS than MMS - so what - so is everyone I know. And yes the Blob's favor big hands but hey - they have hand size divisions - so the difference in each group won't be that big - except that stronger small hands will beat weaker small hands - that's as it should be. The Rolling Thunder favors large hands as a max effort event but - I'm curious how the total reps will come out between the two hand size groups considering the weight difference. It won't surprise me if small hands get more total reps. As for changing the time from Sept to June - I know that if I'm doing my normal workouts, at any given time - I'm only a couple months from a "peak" on any given set of events. So will I work this set of events, of course I will, but everyone knows the events so that's fair for all as well. Now about Tommy - Tommy's a kind of wild card because he actually has a good chance to win a so called "overall" contest if all events are completely even in regards to hand size (not counting a notable Brit that i don't think is coming). I could be wrong but I'm not aware of anyone else I think can do that at this time. For him to win what "most" will consider the overall - he will have to compete in big hands, where he will have a disadvantage. It reminds me of weight clsasses in all other competative weightlifting - people come in different sizes and the big ones are stronger - that's just the way it is. Compare it to the Olympics - a Gold in the 56K class is just the same as a Gold in the Superheavies. So the big guy is always considered the strongest in the wolrd - I don't know or care if that's "fair" - it's just the way it is. So I for one don't veiw a win in the small hand division as "less than" a win in the big hands. Someday, maybe we'll have so darn many competetors we can even have "age groups" - now how about that?

Edited by climber511

The Rolling Thunder favors large hands as a max effort event but - I'm curious how the total reps will come out between the two hand size groups considering the weight difference. It won't surprise me if small hands get more total reps.

Geezer East raises a point a few months before I thought it would come up...Mannino in the "Small Hands" division with 140 pound Rolling Thunder? Hmmm, that should be like M Ali working a speed bag.

Geezer West

• 4 weeks later...

That's going to be something to see.

-Jedd-

Mannino - where the heck has he been lately - I haven't seen much of him on the board. Anybody know if he's coming for sure?

He said he was. I know he was going to be moving soon and he is very busy with work. I hope he does come.

-Jedd-

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys just a few weeks to go before the GGC. Anson and I finished up the platforms for the 50 blob and the V-bar. Everything is falling in place. From what I have heard the field is stronger then last year. I can't wait to see what numbers you guys bang out!! Get your game face on it's getting close to crunch time. Going to have great food and great people so don't miss this one. Competitor's get your entry forms and fees to Smitty so we can get a est. on head count.

For the guys on the fence come on down you will not regret it. You will learn more on this day then you will in months of board surfing plus there will be lots of protein food!! :rock