Greatest Display Of Grip

cityhick

Goerner for certain, also the man that did the double inch farmer walk for a heck of a distance. Sorry I dont remember his name.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• viper

• Teemu I

• Wayne

The double Inch is one great accomplishment but I have noticed people with very long fingers even untrained lift it quite easily. We had an Inch replica at a show and a tall, athletic guy walked up lifted the bell, walked 25+ feet put the bell down and said" Gee ,that makes my legs tired". After looking at his 9" + hands and how they encircled the handle my thoughts on lifting the Inch changed a might. As Mr. Roark once mentioned with adjusting the "feat" to relative hand size made more sense in compairing thick bar feats. Anyone with 8" or less hands would have to posess a super grip to do a single OR double Inch carry.

i have torn a tennis ball before - didnt know it meant anything

the best feat of grip strength ive seen is magnus doing 4 reps on the #4 with 3 fingers - he certainly has one of the strongest crush grips of all time, if not the strongest

Edited by viper

the best feat of grip strength ive seen is magnus doing 4 reps on the #4 with 3 fingers - he certainly has one of the strongest crush grips of all time, if not the strongest

is that one on video.never heard of it

Steve,

I personally don't believe that He couldn't lift His own bell, maybe not in the ways he claimed

but at least off the floor.

I don't think i've ever read of him having insufficient grip strength?. As you yourself

stated plenty of people are lifting it now, although again not in the manner he proposed for

himself.

Regarding you having to explain what the challenge is for your dumbbell to an audience,

imagine a geriatric Inch trying to convince a Pathe newsreel audience that his somewhat

smaller bell would be any kind of a feat, probably the reason the enormous fake bell was used

a more visually dramatic impact, aside from the fact age had taken it's toll.

Thanks

Ray

Greatest feats I watched in person (in no particular order)

Steve Gardeners Inch lifts both hands, with thumb and thumbless

David Hornes WR in the 2-hand pinch

Jim Wylies WR in the vbar

Jim Wylie handling a 21# sledge like childs play

Greatest feats I watched on video:

1. Dave Mortons #4 attempt (not close!!) from early 2003

That time only one certified #4 closer did exist and there was a big controversy, if a #4 is really closable.

2. David Ostunds Red Bend DU with IM Pads

Both videos are in the old gripboard movie gallery.

I watched both videos for countless time.

Edited by FrankyBoy

Viper. I know you well from your many posts on other boards including (among many that you were banned on) Muscle Talk.

Do not make claims on the gripboard like that. Videos of you doing 9 reps on a CoC 2, crushing a potato, rolling a frying pan against your leg (as opposed to your hands) do not mean you can tear a fresh tennis ball. Tearing one that has a hole in - which most here could do - isn't a feat of strength. As for Magnus there is a photo of him shutting a 3 (or so it says) with three fingers. I haven't seen a video.

Remember on the GB there are guys with strength who you wish to one day emulate and it's not good to get a few posts of the 'I can do stuff' when only at the weekend I saw what you can do on your own site. You are half way to where you need to be - tearing a tennis ball in half straight out of a tube of balls and in one whole piece is way beyond where you are right now. :trout

Steve,

I personally don't believe that He couldn't lift His own bell, maybe not in the ways he claimed

but at least off the floor.

I don't think i've ever read of him having insufficient grip strength?. As you yourself

stated plenty of people are lifting it now, although again not in the manner he proposed for

himself.

Regarding you having to explain what the challenge is for your dumbbell to an audience,

imagine a geriatric Inch trying to convince a Pathe newsreel audience that his somewhat

smaller bell would be any kind of a feat, probably the reason the enormous fake bell was used

a more visually dramatic impact, aside from the fact age had taken it's toll.

Thanks

Ray

Indeed I have argued in the past that many see his 'showmanship' as more of outright lying and less a man trying to make a living.

But by the same token we had a Canadian claiming he was holding a world championship consisting of him and his buddies.

There are many here who can close a 3, lift a blob and so on and more than a few that could do the Inch either one hand off of the floor or, from an even smaller group, press it over head. And that's just here on the GB. Ask yourself if Inch were alive today and had a challenge and you spent a year working your way up to the strength to do it (as Gray and Gallagher did) and he turns around and says 'that's not how I do it'. esp when he never did it at all.

What I and I imagine others aspire to is that what we do is talked about tomorrow. I wouldn't be filmed (in Inch's case by Pathe) doing a feat of strength and claiming foolishly that it was my famous challenge bell. A bell yes, a challenge bell - maybe, but his famous challenge bell - not even close. The daft thing was that even as an old man he was hellishly strong and could have made a good deal out of him being well over 50 and still among the strongest men in Britain but instead he tried to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

It's not on Vipers site either: http://www.piczo.com/athletecentral?g=5840203&cr=2

It's not on Vipers site either: http://www.piczo.com/athletecentral?g=5840203&cr=2

1 thing before the post here - with all due respect (and its there) you dont know me, you've never even met me

i dont know if it had a hole in it, didnt notice one, but it wasn't fresh, as i said, i didnt realise it was a very difficult thing, i guess it would depend on the quality of the ball but i have torn a tennis ball - ill try find another/an will attempt it on camera

i never make a claim that i haven't already done mobster - despite what some people may think

whats on my website does not show much to what im at right now to be honest (although i do agree with you that i have a long way to go) - i can crush bigger spuds / can crush most apples without fingers / ive got the #2 for 26 reps now / im thinking the reason the pan is rolled like that is because i dont know of any other way?? (how do you do it with just the hands?)

i will attempt to roll a wok (already bought it) and am gonna get 50 reps on the #1 an 100 reps on the trainer (all reps being full) on vids pretty soon

Edited by viper

You are quite correct in that we have never met but I am familiar with your claims and your reputation. One problem with video of a tennis ball tear is that there were certain tricks the old-timers used. One was baking the ball and another freezing it. Freezing worked best as the color stayed the same. For the tear to be a feat it needs to be done with a brand new ball straight of a pack.

You'll notice I never directly refered to any claims of stuff you may have made regarding other feats of strength other than those on your site. I am familiar with the many times you have told others they were doing it wrong but weren't yet capable of such feats yourself.

Two things: one is to take care with any such claims in the future with a view to being taken seriously and becoming the grip guy you wish to be - and good luck as there is no denying your enthusiasm and secondly post a link to the Magnus video for others to see it - I think you'll find it was a photo not a video.

Finally get yer arse down here to Gloucester and do some stuff or go to a grip competition and compete. I would be more than happy to buy a tennis ball for you to tear and to post pictures and put my name up as a witness. The apple and potato crushes are stuff the guy in the street is impressed by. For the pan rolls (easy enough) both Clayedgin (on www.heavygrips.com) and myself on my forums (www.wheyconsortiumforums.co.uk) have photos etc of the hand rolled version.

Edited by mobsterone

I'm curious if Wade has gotten the 3-35's with out the bar, b/c that definitly changes things.

Thinking about it, Morton's reps on the 4 were out of this world, and being that I have never seen the Magnus DVd, still sounds very crazy.

Viper, quick question. What do you mean you can crush an apple without fingers. The vid on your site doesnt provide any clarity. I'm just curious. Also, trying crushing the apple, like into juicy little pieces of pulp, not just splitting it. Should have to wash your hands afterwords!

Magnus Samuelsson is a real deal. Just watch his DVD Worlds Strongest Arms (I bought it and it was worth it) and he will impress you. Those #4 closes he does on his DVD aren't by any means done in the way that one should, if we are talking about certification style. His hands are so huge, that handles aren't showing. But it sure looks like they are tightly together. If somebody wants to doubt him because of that (like Joe Kinney was doubted) go ahead. I wouldn't though. Just watching him lift 129,6 kg with Rolling Thunder handle was nothing but amazing. DVD was motivational all the way. I don't sell these DVD:s, so I guess it's ok for me to say this.

You are quite correct in that we have never met but I am familiar with your claims and your reputation. One problem with video of a tennis ball tear is that there were certain tricks the old-timers used. One was baking the ball and another freezing it. Freezing worked best as the color stayed the same. For the tear to be a feat it needs to be done with a brand new ball straight of a pack.

You'll notice I never directly refered to any claims of stuff you may have made regarding other feats of strength other than those on your site. I am familiar with the many times you have told others they were doing it wrong but weren't yet capable of such feats yourself.

Two things: one is to take care with any such claims in the future with a view to being taken seriously and becoming the grip guy you wish to be - and good luck as there is no denying your enthusiasm and secondly post a link to the Magnus video for others to see it - I think you'll find it was a photo not a video.

Finally get yer arse down here to Gloucester and do some stuff or go to a grip competition and compete. I would be more than happy to buy a tennis ball for you to tear and to post pictures and put my name up as a witness. The apple and potato crushes are stuff the guy in the street is impressed by. For the pan rolls (easy enough) both Clayedgin (on www.heavygrips.com) and myself on my forums (www.wheyconsortiumforums.co.uk) have photos etc of the hand rolled version.

other claims were a 532lb half squat first time doing any kind of squatting (never claimed it was to depth) - that was true

only other i can think of is 23 wrist hold chin ups with right / 1 minute later 18 wrist holds with left - again was true

i dont know what your talking about with me saying people are doing things wrong but it dont sound like me, i prefer to say this is how i would do it, or i think blah blah etc not you 'are' doing it wrong (my way is not always right)

the bans were bodybuilding.com basically because i told the truth and wouldn't change my mind and lie about the half squat (is that even a big deal??) - the other was muscletalk due simply to dale norris - no other reason

the tennis ball vid is being uploaded as i type this - it was pretty tough but it was gonna happen from the off

i remembered how to do it, just not in detail, so you can see on the vid im playing around with it trying to find the right hand positions etc

the best way for me is using a finger tip crush grip with 1 hand on the side, mainly to crush the ball together to make it more tight, the other hand on top, crushing in with the finger tips and pulling away from the ball also - firstly you have to break the mold at least in some point around the ball

in both the balls ive torn theres 2 halfs sorta molded together, i feel this is the weak point of the ball / if you crush/twist/pull hard enough you should feel that part getting weaker (its still pretty tough though) - eventually it got a little tear via my middle and index right fingers an after that it was just yank / twist the f*ck out of it till its in 2 bits

i dont know anything about freezing or baking but that would make it pointless - the ball is not brand new though, it was just an everyday tennis ball i found lying around - i made sure it had no holes in it

i wouldn't think im strong enough to compete in anything yet, ive only been grip training for 4-5 months - lets wait a bit - ill buy new tennis balls when i get paid an try tear through a whole bag of em or something

oh yeh - magnus does that in his swedish power dvd, its no picture, you can see him do it - he does it sitting down with his arm rested on his leg - he shows its the #4 an then does 4 reps with 3 fingers an makes it look rediculously easy

Tearing older balls for starters would be a good idea to get some feel to it. If anybody (else than John Brookfield) is able to tear brand new balls that is just amazing.

Edited by Teemu I

It's #3 Magnus Samuelsson does those reps with in Swedish Power, just watched it again because I wasn't sure of this. He does reps with #4 on his other DVD Worlds Strongest Arms.

It's #3 Magnus Samuelsson does those reps with in Swedish Power, just watched it again because I wasn't sure of this. He does reps with #4 on his other DVD Worlds Strongest Arms.

check again - it says 4 on it

have not seen swedish power yet, i ordered it and it should get here this week. in the worlds strongest arms he does 2 singles with #4, no reps. both are held closed for a good 10 seconds with ease and are 3 finger closes, which is because his hands are simply to big to use all 4 fingers.

Tearing older balls for starters would be a good idea to get some feel to it. If anybody (else than John Brookfield) is able to tear brand new balls that is just amazing.

I saw a picture of big steve and another guy sitting on a table and have many deck of cards ripped and two(or one, can't remember well) tennis ball ripped in half. i searched the forum but i didn't find it. sorry.

Suprised no one has mentioned Kinney's #4 close. Though there is some controversey there, that was pretty damn amazing and has not been duplicated in similar fashion.

I'm gonna say Mark Henry cleaning and pressing the inch dumbell, as well as the Apollon's Axle. Mark Henry is truly amazing.

Edited by Wes

Suprised no one has mentioned Kinney's #4 close. Though there is some controversey there, that was pretty damn amazing and has not been duplicated in similar fashion.

Well....

best feat: 4# close of Joe Kinney - it's so unreal (especially the set) that You won't believe it...

Still, agreed.

Yes, I have done 3 -35's more than one time without a bar. Just never on video. It's not something I can do all the time and having the camera there has never helped me. I still don't have 3 good plates that fit together solid so it's trial and error to keep turning them so they don't spread apart when I squeeze - anyone who has tried 6-10's knows what I am talking about. The two hardest pinch grip feats of strength I have done is pinching a 70lb hex standing on end and not using the indentations, and 3 - 35's. The blob is a joke compared to either of these.

Wade