Greatest Display Of Grip

cityhick

Recently I saw a video of a strict onehanded curl of a 50lb blob that was being held pinchgrip style. That is the most impressive grip feat to my mind.

are you talking about jeds blob curl

I think he uses the name Maidenfan.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• viper

• Teemu I

• Wayne

It may or may not be the greatest feat of them all. But I'll throw this in anyway: John Brookfield tearing 3 decks of cards stacked together.

How about that tennis ball tearing? Is someone else able to do it?

Brookfield ripped a tennis ball? I heard about that but never found out if that was true or not, can anybody else confirm this??

He rips it on one of his DVDS. It's like the greatest hits or greatest moments or something to that effect. Of course the doubters' argument is that he probably had a hole or slice in the seam ahead of time. I think he can do it but it would be a very hard feat to document unless you actually showed yourself opening a sealed canister of tennis balls, even then, I'm sure there would still be doubters.

It may or may not be the greatest feat of them all. But I'll throw this in anyway: John Brookfield tearing 3 decks of cards stacked together.

How about that tennis ball tearing? Is someone else able to do it?

Brookfield ripped a tennis ball? I heard about that but never found out if that was true or not, can anybody else confirm this??

my brother was at one of his sciminars and watched him and talked and demonstrated with him...He watched him open a brand new pack of tennis balls still sealed and tore it in half right in front of him...he still has the pieces.

I've seen Jim Wylie curl the Blob for a few reps...it may even be on video.

Nick

wades 2 45's around the back 12 times! dave mortons 4 reps with the #4.

There was a pilot named Henry Dempsy that got sucked out of his small commuter jet when a door latch failed near the rear of the craft (he had gone to inspect the hatch due to a warning light and it popped just as he got there). He managed to grab onto the ladder attached to the hatch as he was sucked out. He held on in 200 mph winds for 10 minutes while the co-pilot made an emergency landing. Luckily they had just taken off so he was at an altitude he could breathe and wasn't too far from the runway. When he was finally on the ground, he couldn't let go of the ladder! EMT had to pry his hands off. I think this happened in the early 90's.

I'm sure his grip is nowhere near the pros, but probably one of the few cases in history where grip was a matter of life and death.

--

Jeff

Goerners one hand deadlift...... reguardless of what the Ironhistory said and Apollons near snatch of the equivellent of the Millenium bell !!!

As you are a member of IH and even posted in the thread it seems strange that you'd say that. Here's the thread: http://www.ironhistory.com/forum/index.php...1679&hl=Goerner

They present a ton of evidence. The reality is you, like Mark who posted shortly after, WANT to be believe it. But like all who posted there and everyone else alive now no one saw it - not you, me or Mark. There are no photos or film. Most of the 'proof' comes from his best mate.

Goerners one hand deadlift...... reguardless of what the Ironhistory said and Apollons near snatch of the equivellent of the Millenium bell !!!

Any evidence you have to prove your position is always welcome, Chris. I never argue about personal opinions.

If we were going to pick just one, wouldn't we need to categorize the greatest display of grip in each discipline?

Crush - no set

Pinch - one hand/two hand

Support - one hand/two hand

Levering - one hand/two hand

Tearing

Bending/Scrolling

Grip and Feat - using grip to do a feat - for example - clean and press the INCH

So we potentially have 7 (or more) categories...

Then, possibly do a poll to narrow these down to just one Greatest?

Nah Smitty - I think the intention was to describe a lift you saw or know off that is mind blowing regardless.

Steve,

Wasn't Apollons lift made in front of friends and colleagues? is there film or photo evidence of any of

the lifts attributed to him?

If not, why are his lifts to be believed and Goerner's not?

Thanks

Ray

Nah Smitty - I think the intention was to describe a lift you saw or know off that is mind blowing regardless.

got it - thanks...

Steve,

Wasn't Apollons lift made in front of friends and colleagues? is there film or photo evidence of any of

the lifts attributed to him?

If not, why are his lifts to be believed and Goerner's not?

Thanks

Ray

I have no real idea and indeed so far have posted not a single lift that impressed me - not yet. I did, however, recall some of the post on IH site regarding Goerners efforts. I have read a good description of Apollons efforts (inc the one Chris refered to) and from what I do remember he claimed very little himself it was his contemporaries (his competition) that were most amazed at what he did. Now if your competition says 'he is the strongest of us all' it does seem more likely that people will judge you better. The little I know of Goerner, having read just the first page of the IH thread linked to above and no more is that it was friends of Goerner who made the claims and that just a little background work showed that his C & J for example was not, as was claimed, the best at that time.

Chapmans book on Sandow showed how well he was capable of avoiding those he could not beat but challenging those he could in order to better his reputation and Joe refers to the tricks of Inch which many, Chris included worked to beat having been of the opinion after research that we were in fact better at his pet lift than he himself was. Indeed Chris putting the bell overhead is as good, if not better a feat, than any one hand lift off of the floor and I have done that AND witnessed Chris's efforts.

It can be quite a 'downer' when one realises that the hero we aspired to emulate wasn't quite the hero we thought he was. I suspect Chris is in that place now. The evidence outweighs the denial.

Steve,

Joe Assirati told me personally of the feats Goerner did in front of him and said his strength was out of this world.With no warm up one hand deadlifting over 600lbs !! One hand swinging over 200 lbs in front of Joe !!

Pullum described Goerner as the strongest he'd ever seen , including the Iron Master Arthur Saxon.

Apollon's feats like Goerner's were also recorded by his friend Desbonnet, but i still believe and get inspiration from them.

But the biggest reason why i believe in these seemingly impossible lifts , is the fact that there are people on this board including yourself , David Horne, Wade, Big Steve , Dave Morton and others that are doing the "impossible", some times in every workout.

That's very kind but people like us rarely see what we do as impossible else we would not do them or try to. I've read as far as the part where you talk about Joe Assirati - page 4 (as an aside you know I also chatted one time with him and later attended his funeral and wake) and noticed that none of those arguing disagreed with the 600+ efforts.

Goerners 727 deadlift IS my favorite lift to think about as "spectacular" but, remember he was a great deadlifter, used a HOOK grip, his other hand pushed down(helping the lift) on his thigh, he used his entire back, torso and both legs to do the lift so , with a really strong guy like him I think it was a doable task,(if deadlifter Andy Bolton used a strap I would think he could get this as well ) As for the Master of the Blob Wade does fantastic things with them but,in a related feat as I saw on his video the 3 -35lb plates were held together by a bar joining them turning it into a 105 lb. pinch lift (fairly wide pinch but far from a record for a man of his great strength) I think the pinch feats of David horn are the best ever and as far as a tough, dedicated, all-rounder he is in a class of his own. I would love to see some of the "greats" try the assembled "Grip Gauntlet" at the Sorinex compound during the big grip get together/Global Grip Challenge on June 24th. There will be plenty of feats to try, lots of witnesses AND great photo opportunities for mags like Milo when outstanding lifts are done.

As for the Master of the Blob Wade does fantastic things with them but,in a related feat as I saw on his video the 3 -35lb plates were held together by a bar joining them turning it into a 105 lb. pinch lift (fairly wide pinch but far from a record for a man of his great strength)

I'm pretty sure he has since done it without the bar.

I'm going with Goerner's one hand deadlift. I can't even deadlift that weight with two hands right now.

Steve,

Are you able to pick the Millenium up at will?

If you were in Inch's place and made a living from your feats,

would you also have lighter bells made for the times you couldn't or

didn't need to pick the real thing up?

Thanks

Ray.

No. I can if I train for it. Recently I have done two displays 2 weeks apart. I have another next week and 2 more in the near future. At those I can shut the 3 at will, tear books at will, bend nails at will, pick up a large grown man on the v bar and smaller one on an old RT handle at will - but the Millennium is at the top of my game and requires 6 weeks of training on it and the others merely require general grip training. An additional problem with the Millennium is that people have no real idea what the challenge is - I or the man on the mike explain a little about it (much like showmanship spiel) in that we say only 4-5 have lifted it and that I was first.

Of course Inch NEVER actually lifted the full size Inch dumbbell so it kinda negates the question. There's a bunch of evidence to suggest that he claimed no one else could and yet look how many have since he passed away. The problem is less his 'showmanship' of switiching to lighter bells but more that he outright lied and never actually did it himself.

Edited by mobsterone