Idea For Armwrestling Device

Elfer

Don't know if these already exist, but whatever

I was thinking about this, and how people have difficulty finding exercises that transfer over to armwrestling well. So I thought, why not just make a device that mimics the motion?

Basically, it's a table with an angled bar to replicate a human arm. The bar is attached to a gear which is part of a rack and pinion assembly which hangs through the table and connects to a loading pin that allows the user to load weight onto it.

When you rotate the gear by grabbing the arm and doing the arm wrestling motion, the pinion rotates and lifts the rack thereby lifting the weight. Pretty simple really.

You should have the idea now, but I can draw a diagram if you need it. I really have neither the skill nor the means to build one of these, not to mention I don't have a strong interest in arm wrestling. If anyone wants to steal this idea and build it themselves, please feel free. I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

Edited by Elfer

No, but to be fair, that might be a better idea than mine.

The design I had in mind was specifically designed not to have a power curve, actually. My first idea was to have a cable rig of some sort, but I realized that something like that would have a weird force curve when you work out the related rates of the angle of rotation and the length of the cable pulled.

With the rack and pinion design, each degree of rotation results in equal vertical displacement of the weight. The design you showed doesn't result in this, as shown by the graph. Since the loading bar is mounted at a 45 degree angle, once you force the bar down 45 degrees, the weight will have the greatest rate of vertical displacement at that point, as shown in their graph. I could probably determine whether or not their "70%" figure is correct, but it's the weekend so I don't want to do geometry and calculus at the moment. Let's just say that they've got the shape of the graph right.

On the design I have, the graph of resistance would just be a flat line, y=100%, which could be better or worse, depending on how you look at it.

By the way, anyone who was wondering what calculus was actually useful for, this is it. Comparing designs of ridiculous machinery for effectiveness.

What exactly would "realistic resistance" be, anyway?

Where would the sticking points and easy bits be?

When you armwrestle a person, the more you pull the more he pulls back. With rubber tubing and bands or springs, the more you pull the greater the resistance becomes.

That's only true with non-hookian elasticity. I'd have to look into elastic coefficient graphs for different materials for something like that.

Although if you're looking for something that will pull exactly as hard as you do, I might suggest say, a chain or a brick.

If you're talking about something that gets harder and harder the further you force it down to the table, that's also possible with three pinion gears. Tehcnically you could do it with no pinions at all, but that would make it too easy at the beginning.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it some more, with elastic resistance, the static tension would increase the further the arm is bent, so yes, it would get harder and harder just to keep the arm rotated.

However, this doesn't mean the design needs to be modified much, you just replace the loading pin with a hook and loops of surgical tubing.

Edited by Elfer

That's only true with non-hookian elasticity. I'd have to look into elastic coefficient graphs for different materials for something like that.

Although if you're looking for something that will pull exactly as hard as you do, I might suggest say, a chain or a brick.

If you're talking about something that gets harder and harder the further you force it down to the table, that's also possible with three pinion gears. Tehcnically you could do it with no pinions at all, but that would make it too easy at the beginning.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it some more, with elastic resistance, the static tension would increase the further the arm is bent, so yes, it would get harder and harder just to keep the arm rotated.

However, this doesn't mean the design needs to be modified much, you just replace the loading pin with a hook and loops of surgical tubing.

Try not to make it as complex as a V-Bar. :trout:flame:tongue:calm

Agreed, that does look like some quality equipment - $962.00 US seems like a fair price when you look at the build quality. Looks like Pexter has a new project!

Agreed, that does look like some quality equipment - $962.00 US seems like a fair price when you look at the build quality. Looks like Pexter has a new project!

I am curious....

How in the world did you calculate the $962 mfan? I said 2500 just figuring it looked like it was 2500. :)

I am curious....

How in the world did you calculate the $962 mfan? I said 2500 just figuring it looked like it was 2500. :)

On the link it said the machine was 800 euro...checked a conversion calc and it came to $962 USD. Dunno, maybe I made a mistake.

I am curious....

On the link it said the machine was 800 euro...checked a conversion calc and it came to $962 USD. Dunno, maybe I made a mistake.

Ok. You are most likely correct. I did not see what the cost was, or even looked for it. Thanks!

Just buy the ADDJUSTAPULL...Or follow Dan Praydis's suggestion.

Does anybody know how much this would be to ship to Canada. looks like a great machine.

http://www.armpower.net/shop/product_info....&products_id=59

similar thoughts-

i am considering one for my wifes fitness center--i wonder how much to ship to iowa/usa?(52601 zip)-

$962 U.S. seems reasonable :blink (especially after spending $10,000 on a climbing wall-LOL) -- shipping guesstimates?

--can someone translate the weight stack?other details

Edited by BigPaulFromCityHall

Does anybody know how much this would be to ship to Canada. looks like a great machine.

similar thoughts-

i am considering one for my wifes fitness center--i wonder how much to ship to iowa/usa?(52601 zip)-

$962 U.S. seems reasonable :blink (especially after spending $10,000 on a climbing wall-LOL) -- shipping guesstimates?

Ive just got off the phone with Iron Dog in Halifax Canada to see if they will build me a version of this machine. I will post their answer soon

similar thoughts-

Ive just got off the phone with Iron Dog in Halifax Canada to see if they will build me a version of this machine. I will post their answer soon

Just got off the phone with Iron Dog and they said they would not be able to build this machine. Does anybody have any contact information concerning this product with somebody who hopefully speaks english

I don't armwrestle, but it would seem to me that if the purpose was to mimic the leverage points, or whatever, you would want a static weight. If you just want a super hard pull all the way thru, you'd go with bands. If you aren't loading weights, I don't see the need to have that 2nd loading pin arm. Just get a piece of pipe, drill a hole, get a bushing in there, run a short peice of pipe thru the bushing, and mount the whole thing to 2 blocks of wood and the table (narrow enough to prevent side-to-side movement but wide enough to allow free rotation). Then drill a hole at the top, run an eyebolt thru, hook a carabiner on, and attach your bands. I bet you could build something that would work good for less than $30.

-- i e-mailed the company -in english--did not get a reply back--

--if someone could translate the specs i'd appreciate it--