My Peg2 Arrives

Roark

Maybe thats your problem Joe.

That was classy. I give it *****

I won't remove this post.

Now, one could have interpreted John's statement as negative since he pretty much never posts any information or advice here.

Anyway, I read it and pondered his statement. My first reaction was negative based on past data. But, I've been around the block (since the early 1990's) on Net discussion gigs and used ALL the data to turn it positive and what I think he was truly trying to state. I also try and be positive as best I can. It's easy to be negative with people and life in general.

John is a proponent of training -- BUT...and this is a big but. Whole body training. No part neglected. They work as a whole. So, if you aren't training the whole body to gain, don't expect to reach your grip potential and you will plateau at a point below what you might be capable if you trained all the body. So, when it was brought up that Joe wasn't training much of the rest of his body as hard (as I interpret this), that was related to his plateau in grip/wrist strength.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Rick Browne

• Bill Piche

• WildGorillaMan

John's point, in some cases, could explain the situation. In my case, there are other factors related to health. I would train harder if I literally could do so.

How is your progress on the Formulator, John? I assume you train whole body, so what are your numbers for the F these days?

A young man should not give training advice to an old man like myself or Joe. He can only know what it is like to still be young. If he lives long enough and is still working out he will then be a lot more qualified to comment on the training of his fellow seniors. People like Joe and I do what we can at our age and with our health concerns. :calm

As a fellow senior - I have to disagree somewhat - the advice was sound - I think Joe, John, I and others might all be stronger at grip (and all over) if we were able to work our whole body more intensely or at all - that's not always the case with we geezers - most of us have to deal with the limitations life has delt us - doesn't mean we shouldn't do all we can do as far as working every muscle group that still works without too much pain. The fact that we are still in there plugging along counts for a lot. Give the younguns a break - the only cure for that "youngun desease" is time :cool I enjoy John's newsletter - sure I already know some of it - but I learn from it too - heck I learn from the newest guy on here - even if it's what didn't work for him.

"I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work"Thomas Edison

In regard to my workouts: I do what I can in regard to what my limitations are and in regard to what my goals are. At 63, my goals have changed- some of them not by my choosing.

At any rate, I always appreciate sound advice, so thank you.

I am told my numbers are okay for the P and I know from experience the F is easier, so I was hoping some others would reveal the poundages they are using- whether more than I am using, or less, just as a guideline or perspective. There is no illusion on my part that my numbers are great- I am pleased with my progress, but if Wade Gillingham or David Horne, or sixpack decided to get serious with The P or F, I think we all know their numbers would be beyond what most of us could hope to attain.

I thought I had read somewhere (or heard?) that someone had posed the question regarding who would be the first to get a single with the F using 100 pounds. I was curious if anyone had reached that level yet. Apparently, others do not wish to reveal their numbers for whatever reasons?

In regard to my workouts: I do what I can in regard to what my limitations are and in regard to what my goals are. At 63, my goals have changed- some of them not by my choosing.

I am told my numbers are okay for the P and I know from experience the F is easier, so I was hoping some others would reveal the poundages they are using- whether more than I am using, or less, just as a guideline or perspective. There is no illusion on my part that my numbers are great- I am pleased with my progress, but if Wade Gillingham or David Horne, or sixpack decided to get serious with The P or F, I think we all know their numbers would be beyond what most of us could hope to attain.

I thought I had read somewhere (or heard?) that someone had posed the question regarding who would be the first to get a single with the F using 100 pounds. I was curious if anyone had reached that level yet. Apparently, others do not wish to reveal their numbers for whatever reasons?

I'm using my FORMULATOR, but define "serious."

I'm using my FORMULATOR, but define "serious."

In this case, attempting to use more weight as soon as possible. I mean, having a plan/schedule and making all out effort to keep increasing. Working toward a determined, set, goal. Using more weight than was used ten days ago- and that means every ten days (or whatever your plan is). In other words- the opposite of what I do with other exercises :whistel

• 3 weeks later...

One of those mornings in which I did not feel like pushing myself, so I decided to test to see if crossover value from Peg2 to the barbell wrist curl had been maintained.

Bodyweight 203 lbs.

Did a couple reps with 200, and then a set of ten with 170.

One of those mornings in which I did not feel like pushing myself, so I decided to test to see if crossover value from Peg2 to the barbell wrist curl had been maintained.

Bodyweight 203 lbs.

Is that good, for you?

From an outside perspective, that looks pretty solid, in general.

Bodyweight 203 lbs.

Is that good, for you?

From an outside perspective, that looks pretty solid, in general.

I'm pleased with it considering I have not used the barbell for a workout (occasional test) since I got the P2. My best ever with barbell was 225 for 6 reps in 2005, but after I did that I stopped because of injury. So probably I could get back to that point in a couple of months if I trained for it, which I do not plan to do. So long as I can wrist curl 200 with barbell anytime I am warmed up- that's good enough for me.

I never really knew exactly the kind of man I wanted to be when I got older. However, over the years I have learned the kind of man I did not want to be like. Certain things about people would just make me think to myself, I don't ever want to be like that. One of those things is that close-mindedness that a lot of older people tend to have. They just seem to be "set in their ways" and can't even consider different viewpoints, for whatever reason. So limiting... so pathetic.

Chris, I don't know you well enough to say I want to be like you "when I grow up" but you damn sure have traits that I find admirable. I haven't found these things to be prevelant in your age group.

But what do I know? I'm just a young guy.

I never really knew exactly the kind of man I wanted to be when I got older. However, over the years I have learned the kind of man I did not want to be like. Certain things about people would just make me think to myself, I don't ever want to be like that. One of those things is that close-mindedness that a lot of older people tend to have. They just seem to be "set in their ways" and can't even consider different viewpoints, for whatever reason. So limiting... so pathetic.

Chris, I don't know you well enough to say I want to be like you "when I grow up" but you damn sure have traits that I find admirable. I haven't found these things to be prevelant in your age group.

I don't know Chris any better than you do, and I can't pretend I'm all that young any more... but based on Chris's posts on the Gripboard and Grippermania, I would be happy to be like him "when I grow up".

Rock on, climber511 :rock

Who is even training seriously with an F on a regular basis?

You have asked a difficult question, it appears.

I've been beavering away on mine once or twice a week. I've got nothing earth-shaking to report, however.

My forearms are thickening up, even as my bodyweight reduces, but what with a) eating right and b) exercising, it could be anything that's been causing that.

I'm "training seriously" with my Formulator. I got a little crazy with it when I first got it - 3 times a week, 2 sets to failure proved to be a little too much, especially for the extensors. 1 set to failure with higher reps performed once or twice a week seems to be just right... and that's not normally the set/rep scheme I prefer.

I'm up to 13 reps with 15lbs for extensor work, and 15 reps with 50lbs for flexor work. My wrists are definitely thicker (an area I've always thought to be relatively small/weak) but I can't say whether or not I'm seeing carry-over to other exercises... I'm always getting stronger, so it's hard to tell.

Edited by Dan Cenidoza

I'm "training seriously" with my Formulator. I got a little crazy with it when I first got it - 3 times a week, 2 sets to failure proved to be a little too much, especially for the extensors. 1 set to failure with higher reps performed once or twice a week seems to be just right... and that's not normally the set/rep scheme I prefer.

I'm up to 13 reps with 15lbs for extensor work, and 15 reps with 50lbs for flexor work. My wrists are definitely thicker (an area I've always thought to be relatively small/weak) but I can't say whether or not I'm seeing carry-over to other exercises... I'm always getting stronger, so it's hard to tell.

That's quite good Dan. My best sets so far are:

Extension 12.5lbs x8 1/2 *end loaded

Flexion 27.5lbs x10 *end loaded

Extension 7.5lbs x30 *bottom loaded

Flexion 27.5lbs x22 *bottom loaded

I've been training with my FORMULATOR end loaded to make it a lot harder. Lately on days when I feel low on gas, I'll work at it with the unit bottom loaded.

So far so good...

aside from gorilla man and Dan C, noone is training it??? i thought lots of people on the board owned one?

I own one but don't have any impressive numbers to report...

I've been using it for extensions mainly (3 sets of 10 with 10lbs middle loaded) and some cheating during the lasts reps....

I have a Formulator but I don't use it the way Joe describes as serious. I just do the Power Forearms routine with it - it sure feels serious at the end but by a different definition is all. Different goals is all - not all that interested in one rep stuff right now.

I'm lost. Which one of you is Chris?