My Peg2 Arrives

Roark

This morning I moved up to 55 pounds (from 50) for my top set.

Managed only 8 reps, murderous reps, and knew a second set would yield probably two reps, so I fell back to 45 and did sets of 15 and 9.

It has been 12 hours since that workout and my forearms literally feel as though they have been punched repeatedly.

The jump from 50 to 55 felt like an increase not of 5 pounds but of 20. It will be a few weeks before I can get 2 sets of 10 with 55.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Rick Browne

• Bill Piche

• WildGorillaMan

You might need to pick up some 2 1/2s there Joe! :)

That way it will feel like you're bumping up the weight by only 10lbs at a time.

Managed only 8 reps, murderous reps, and knew a second set would yield probably two reps, so I fell back to 45 and did sets of 15 and 9.

It has been 12 hours since that workout and my forearms literally feel as though they have been punched repeatedly.

The jump from 50 to 55 felt like an increase not of 5 pounds but of 20. It will be a few weeks before I can get 2 sets of 10 with 55.

Does mean the Peg has approximately a 4 to 1 ratio of plate weight to percieved weight?

Does mean the Peg has approximately a 4 to 1 ratio of plate weight to percieved weight?

The Formulator is said to be a 4:1 ratio. For a quick check, I put a 25lb. plate on the Formulator and knocked out 20 reps. Felt good. I then put a 25lb. plate on the Peg2. Doing 20 reps was much harder and extremely more intense. The 25 felt heavier also. (I rested for 3 mins before the Peg2 reps). I could pop the Formulator reps fairly fast. The Peg2 I could not pop as fast. This is the flexion move I am talking about. The offset handles of the Peg2 are the key to this device. The weight plate and the loading pin hang at a lower angle than the Formulator, giving a wider range of motion.

My buddy, to whom I gave my Formulator to 3 weeks ago, brought it back to me this past Sunday. He said it was messing up his golf swing. :)

Edited by zcor

The ratio is difficult to calculate (even if I knew how) for the P2.

On a barbell, the fulcrum never changes- the weight is added laterally and always pivots in the hand.

On the P2, as more plates must be added, on some of the steps of addition, the plates must be placed farther forward on the horn, increasing the leverage.

45+5 on the P2 is easier than 25+25 for this reason. Although I have not tried it, I suspect 5+45 would be harder than 25+25.

When the LSA become available, this factor may become moot since the weight stack will always be the same distance forward from the hands (assuming you sit in the same place), but on the other hand ALL the weight will be at the tip of the horn and therefore I am guessing numbers will decrease in the same way that if you move a single 25 pound plate to the end of the P2 horn it would be more difficult than were that plate closer to your hands.

Just thinking here, do you think a leverage wrist curl device where the plates were loaded on the side would be better than one where the plates are loaded on top of each other like they are now?

Anyone know of videos of the Peg2 in action?

Just thinking here, do you think a leverage wrist curl device where the plates were loaded on the side would be better than one where the plates are loaded on top of each other like they are now?

Interesting question. Such a device would necessitate a much wider loading bar (to allow knees in-between the plates) which would of course drive up the price. I don't know enough about design to anticipate if their would be a benefit, but I suspect if the horn of the P2 could be loading heavier without moving the load farther from the hands, the feel would be the same/similar to what would be experienced in this idea.

For extensions, the weight of the proposed apparatus might be too heavy to begin with?

Joe,

I think if one removed the rubber handles on the lower crossbar of the ACD/CHI one could load plates on there. This could be additional loading without having to overcome more leverage plus weight, but I could be wrong.

My ACD/CHI has my forearms so messed up and sore its simply amazing to me. On top of that I am simply trying to rehab a wrist injury so I am using baby weights compared to what Joe is using. My best so far as been this loading pattern- 2.5+5+10+10+10x3 reps.

Also Joe I have one question. Are you gripping the crossbar with your fingers on the wrist curls on are you keeping your fingers straight and inline with the hand for the wrist curls? I did a few sets using my hand like a paddle and it seemed to hit my forearms and wrists much harder.

Edited by MeatPlow

THis seems to be the hot topic for the peg2, so I figured I would ask it here. The question is, is one able to perform the extension movement on the peg2 without having the fingers extended. In the picture on the site, that is how they show the device being used, the fingers are extended and it seems that it would not catch on ones hand if the fingers were curled around the bottom bar.

picture!!

I think that this is an important question in that finger extension can add to the movement of wrist extension. Of coarse, this isnt a bad thing persay, just not true complete isolation of the wrist extensors if you want to be anal about it. Anyway, those who have one, let me know! Thanks!!

You can do extensions with your fingers curled (not on the bottom bar) but like making a semi-clinched fist.

If you want to curl the bottom bar then the cross bar would have to be moved in really tight to maintain leverage. I find doing them as in the pricture works the extensors better especially the part between the wrist and the upper forearm. It also leaves my forearms trembling after my workout so it is hitting the spot right :)

THis seems to be the hot topic for the peg2, so I figured I would ask it here. The question is, is one able to perform the extension movement on the peg2 without having the fingers extended. In the picture on the site, that is how they show the device being used, the fingers are extended and it seems that it would not catch on ones hand if the fingers were curled around the bottom bar.

picture!!

I think that this is an important question in that finger extension can add to the movement of wrist extension. Of coarse, this isnt a bad thing persay, just not true complete isolation of the wrist extensors if you want to be anal about it. Anyway, those who have one, let me know! Thanks!!

On the flexors with the P2 I grasp it like I would a barbell. I see no advantage is keeping the fingers straight for this exercise because the handle rests in the same area of the palm whether you grasp the bar or keep the hand straight- so the point of impact is the same, and grasping is more natural for me.

On the extentions I keep the fingers straight. I am now up to a whopping :( four sets of 10 with 3.75 pounds! I cannot use 5 pounds and perform 4 x 10. If the resistance were against the back of my hand I could use more weight, but would I get more benefit?

This morning 55 lbs for sets of 11 and 8, then 45 for 10 and 7.

Was playing around with extensions- did some kneeling perpendicular to the bench with forearms resting on the bench. This is easier than straight arms on knees while sitting on the bench.

This morning 55 lbs for sets of 11 and 8, then 45 for 10 and 7.

Was playing around with extensions- did some kneeling perpendicular to the bench with forearms resting on the bench. This is easier than straight arms on knees while sitting on the bench.

Fuh-ged-about -it on the straight arms :). Most intense and humbling. More weight can be used in the normal positions eh Joe?

This morning I simply did not feel like doing my usual Peg2 workout, so I figured I would test myself for a single rep.

35 x 10

55 x 4 (I misloaded and thought this was 60, and thought it sure felt easy; duh!)

65 x 1 very hard [45+10+10]

70 x nope- even when I began by swinging it for momentum, I could only get it to parallel. The circus fat lady may as well have been standing on it. [45+25]

50 x 10

45 x 15

My new goal is to get 70 for a single rep.

I thought by now I would be used to the Peg2 and would not get the severe pump. Wrong.

I returned the Formulator, but based on the fact that I got 4 reps with 60 on it the first time I tried it, I believe at this point (if I could stand the pad digging into my hand) I could get 80 lbs on it for aa single rep.

This morning on P2:

35 x 10

60 x 5

50 x 10

45 x 10

35 x 10

Extensions:

using 5 lbs

one set over knees ,ten reps

3 sets 10 regular (over bench) alternated with reverse curls on low pulley cable.

This morning on P2:

35 x 10

60 x 5

50 x 10

45 x 10

35 x 10

Extensions:

using 5 lbs

3 sets 10 regular (over bench) alternated with reverse curls on low pulley cable.

Apr 21, 2006 same workout as last time, except for one set of the extensions I went to 7.5 lbs.

I will not be updating my progress until I reach a set of 10 with 60.

Next week I will have an opportunity to try the Formulator again, and although I have no interest in working out with it, I am interested in trying for a max single.

This morning on P2:

35 x 10

60 x 5

50 x 10

45 x 10

35 x 10

Extensions:

using 5 lbs

Apr 21, 2006 same workout as last time, except for one set of the extensions I went to 7.5 lbs.

Next week I will have an opportunity to try the Formulator again, and although I have no interest in working out with it, I am interested in trying for a max single.

Getting up there in weight Joe! Good job. John S. at PDA emailed me and said my Peg2 Long should be shipped out this upcoming week. I decided on going with the 16 inch handles. This Peg2 Long will be exclusively for fexion and the Peg2 will be for extensions. I will never use the Formulator again. ;)

This morning on P2:

35 x 10

60 x 5

50 x 10

45 x 10

35 x 10

Extensions:

using 5 lbs

Getting up there in weight Joe! Good job. John S. at PDA emailed me and said my Peg2 Long should be shipped out this upcoming week. I decided on going with the 16 inch handles. This Peg2 Long will be exclusively for fexion and the Peg2 will be for extensions. I will never use the Formulator again. ;)

May as well sell it to me. I'll give ya $10 right now. Serious. Paypal.

This morning on P2:

35 x 10

60 x 5

50 x 10

45 x 10

35 x 10

Extensions:

using 5 lbs

May as well sell it to me. I'll give ya $10 right now. Serious. Paypal.

Ok, plus $119.95 for shipping :rolleyes Actually, I just passed it off to someone this week.

Ah well, had to try. You guys are makin' it hard to pass on the P2. I can get away with just one right? I only have so much plasma to donate....

Ah well, had to try. You guys are makin' it hard to pass on the P2. I can get away with just one right? I only have so much plasma to donate....

Yes, you can get away with just one. Do not pay attention to my eccentricity for getting 2. :whacked