Deadlifting With No Hands

t-wehner

Ok, for PT today, i did a little of everything. here's how it went:

push ups 5x25

situps 5x25

hanging leg raises 1x8, 1x5 ( had a hard time holding the bar with left hand, to much swinging)

pull ups 3x5 (yesssss! was able to do pull ups again. good ones too. i'm getting better)

sand bag carries, all bear hug: 120lb sand bag

150' on left shoulder, then 150' on right shoulder ( had to get it from the car to the stairs)

3 laps up and down 2 flights of stairs, resting at the top and bottom of the stairs for 30 seconds only.

then did the 300+ feet back to the car switching shoulders as before.

felt good, and felt smoked too. did the whole workout in 25 minutes

take care and good lifting

:mosher:mosher wooo hooo, got me some new toys to play with......

why is it, even when we take this stuff seriously, working out and stuff, that when we get some new equipment, we can't help but just go at it as soon as we get it out of the package. dang.

got my Heavy Grips today, i like them so far too. Was able to crush the HG250 easily, and found it to be just a little easier than my IM#2. I forget which forum it was on, equipment i think, but the rankings of the HG's compared to the IM's was right on, and was a determining factor in my choosing them. I think it was LEFTSIDE's appraisal of them that i read. thanks

now instead of only three strengths, and the hand gripper helpers, i have 8, and the helpers. the no set close of the IM#2 is my new short term goal, and the HG300 is my new mid range goal. once i get the HG300, i will order the #3.

take care and will tell ya bout today's and tommorows workouts later tommorrow. Gonna go hang with the wife and kid for awhile and play some monopoly.

Today it was squat day, so here were the numbers.

power rack

135x5/225x5/245x5/275x4/295x3/305x1missed short (upped my workload from last workout, though i failed to hit 305 parralel, still feel good bout how each rep felt)

1/2 squats (not parralel, but not just lockouts either)

305x1/315x1/335x1/355x1/365x1

tried to do some farmers carries, but 40lbs dumbells for 100 feet was bout it, followed immediatly by 10 reps in the bench press with the dumbells, then taking them back to the rack by way of walking the 100 feet again.

before i broke my hand, i was doing this with 100lb dumbells. I was farmer carrying 150lb dumbells. felt depressed, oh well. this is the next challenge.

grippers

did some warm ups with the trainer, and HG150, #1, and HG200 of 2 reps each, then hit the HG250 for reps:3/3/4/2/3/4. felt good, when i got home i hit a good close with the #2, just short of cc set. but it was the first time it closed so easily for me. going to update my grip workout here tomorrow, and will let you know how it'll be. gonna do a three day schedule, heavy, medium, light day scheme, and inter mix two other grip exercises into each workout. should be well rounded, and give me plenty of recovery days too.

welp, take care and good lifting.

hit squats again today. Was raining and lightning this morning, and was in no mood for it, and didn't run, so i decided that squats would be the leg workout for the day.

did 135x5/ 225x5/ 295x1/ 275x6 took off the plates and immediately did 255x5, quickly changed plates and did 225x6. that was about it for today, although i did do some hub lifts today. warmed up with a 25lb plate, then added weight to it till i had lifted the 25, with two 5's, and two 2 1/2 lb plates on it. i then went and lifted one of the few 45's we got at the gym with a hub, and then added two 2 1/2lb plates on top of it, and broke it off the ground. hand was fried. Will post some of the bo0dy weight stuff i have been doing during PT in the morning, and will post my new gripper routine also.

till then take care and good lifting.

had a pretty good workout yesterday, kinda sore ttoday. Here's what i did:

PULLDOWNS 5X5X90LBS

DUMBELL PULLOVERS W/1 DB 5X5X50LBS

DB BENCH 5X5X50LBS

CURLS DB LEFT HAND- 3X20LBSX5/ 2X25LBX5

RIGHT HAND- 1X25LBX5/ 2X50LBX5/ 2X3" HNDL 50LBX5

140LB SANDBAG TIMED HOLDS, TWO EACH

RIGHT SHOULDER 36SECONDS/ 34 SEC

LEFT SHOULDER 36 SEC/ 30 SEC

BEARHUG 36 SEC + 5 SQUATS/ 34 SEC + 5 SQUATS

GRIPPERS

TNS X1 EA- HG100/150/200/ COC T/#1/ GOT TO WITHIN A HAIR WITH THE HG250 ON TWO ATTEMPTS, AND 1/8 ON THE #2

THEN DID

4 OVERCRUSHES WITH THE HG250

ATTEMPTED THE HG300 FROM A PARRALEL SET, GOT TO LESS THAN A 1/4 INCH AWAY

3 FORCED CLOSED NEGATIVES WITH THE HG300

AND THEN 1, 15 SECOND STRAP HOLD WITH THE #1 WITH 10 LBS.

FELT GOOD, FEELING GOOD, AND TAKE CARE AND GOOD LIFTING

p.S. WILL HAVE THE NEW GRIP ROUTINE I'LL BE FOLLOWING POSTED HERE LATER.

yesterday was a light day with my buddy and i doing farmers carries and thick bar pull ups. did about 10x150' with 5x5 of 2" bar pull ups, and then 6 sets of 10 shrugs. did it all with only fifty pound dumbells, but they were enough to do the job.

today i did squats in the power rack. tried 305, and barely got it, not happy with the way it felt. following the warm up and the singles ending in the 305 attept to parralel, i set the pins to half squat height, and did 15 bottom position squats with 335, these were done back to back, non stop, only pausing long enough for the bar to settle on the pins before pushing off again. then added 20 lbs and did 5 more in the same fashion. in between sets i did stiff leg deadlifts with 100 lbs, as that is all my left hand can handle.

friday i will do full bottom position for 5 singles, and lockouts for singles. will also do some light deadlifts too i think, can't wait.

will post again later this evening.

Edited by T-Dog

welp, just did my medium day workout for the grippers. here's how it is going to look for the next couple of weeks:

medium day (medium day will either be this or pinch lifts, and thick bar timed holds, wrist curls. this is a day to switch up if needed, for either recovery, or to break up the monotony)

all single table no set, doing the ladder up, and then down, 8 times. one set, the third and fourth trips up and down are done with the hand gripper helper added on, still TNS.

it looks like this:

HG100

CoC T

HG150

HG200

(then back down =1 set, 8 sets, 2 with the IM helper)

light day will be friday, it will look like this

5xHG100xmax reps

5xTxmax reps

5xTx10 spring pointed down

5xHG100x10 spring pointed down

heavy day will be monday's, and it will look like this:

W/U with 10 reps on the HG100, then 5 on the Trainer, then 5 reps on the HG150.

then its setting the gripper #2 as needed, and going for singles x 3

then the HG250 for reps x 4

then its attempt at a HG300, but forcing it closed if unsuccessfull, and doing a slow negative x 3

then 2 strap holds with whatever gripper i can hold close, x 10 lbs.

thats it save for a cool down.

will do this for the next four weeks, and then test my self to find out if i have progressed, or ? we'll see how it goes.

take care and good lifting.

Edited by T-Dog

Hit the squats again today, but today i focused on full bottom position singles for five sets, and top position lockouts for five sets. maxed out on the bottom position squats with 2x255, which is my new pr, and a 10 pound increase from my old pr.

on the lockouts, i maxed out at 395 and it felt good.

did 5 singles on the 45lb hub lift to lockout, and also did plate pinching with 4, 10lb plates, to full lockout.

did my light day gripper workout, as per my last post, and dang it was tough. totaled 190 reps on the HG100, and 194 reps on the trainer. extensor band finished things off. hands were slightly sore from earlier in the week, so next weeks totals should rise up some. we'll see.

welp, gotta go,

Edited by T-Dog

welp, monday, i hit my heavy day with the grippers, and it went pretty good. did the warm up, and then tried three attempts with the #2, but was short each time by a hair. so i hit the HG250 at parralel for reps, and then hit the #2 again for a single, and crushed it. did this for six iterations.

HG250 3reps/4 reps/ 3 reps/ 5reps/ 3reps/ 4reps

#2 5 singles in between HG250 sets

HG300 forced closed negatives x 3 ( hand was so smoked the negatives were pretty quick)

tuesday i hit the gym for some squats, was trying to get it done quickly cause of the heat, and ended up not doing so well, did 5/4/3/2/1 maxing with 295.

I did do deadlifts for the first time in six months, and they felt pretty good. left hand held out OK, and was able to do 1x135/1x 185/ and 3 x 225. not trying for reps yet, and will add these onto squat day for a while, and keep them for singles till i get to where my hand feels closer to 100%, won't ever be 100%, but i'll get close as i can make it.

today i did my medium day grip workout, hands felt good and my TNS technique is getting more natural, and my hand is getting stronger already, two more weeks and i'll test on them and check for improvement.

welp, will talk at ya'll later

• 2 weeks later...

it's been awhile, but when we are in cycle, as a drill sergeant, ya just don't have all that much time for things other than training troops and stuff.

since my last log in, i have been able to keep to my gripper routine, and last mondays workout proved to me i am making gains. was able to rep the HG250 for the usual 3-5 reps each set, but i am able to do 2-3 reps now with the #2 now between sets. almost to no setting the HG250 also. got my heavy day tommorrow, and hope to be there or better, but the no sleep, or regular meals for the last week and a half may take their toll. we'll see.

my medium day routine has gotten easier too, and i am now thinking of adding a ladder or two to the routine in order to keep the challenge. my TNS is getting more natural, and comfortable.

light days are slowly increasing in the rep ranges also, in the 55-60 rep range for almost all sets, save the first and the last.

was doing pinch lifts with 2, 22lb plates today, and they were easy. also did deadlifts today, two handed, and got up to 295. felt good to be able to deadlift again. man did it.

will post tommorrows workout later

for my last heavy grip day, i felt pretty good. gott 5 sets of three reps with the #2, a new PR, and was getting 5 reps on the HG250, for 5 sets. these were all done parralel set. when i got to the house later that night, i did an attempt at the HG300, and got to 1/8" from closed. started talking to the wife, and while discussing something, set the HG300 to parralel, and squeezed, and it closed fully. she saw it, and asked which one it was, and had to check to make sure it was the 300 :rock . been real consistant with my routine, and my gains are coming quicker than i thought. very happy. i think the consistantcy was what was missing from my training. i'll test my self next week, and see how far i've come against my journal when i first started the routine.

today was heavy day, and a test day as well.

warmed up, tried the HG250 for a TNS, and got to 1/8" away from closing. I then hit the HG250 for 2 sets of 2 reps. was not feeling it really, and was getting peeved, but moved on to the #2 and only hit 2 reps for the first set, but from there i got in the groove, and the remaining 4 sets were 2/3/3/5 reps. i start the set at parralel, and the reps are opened only about 3/4", to an inch. the fifth set was a new PR with the #2.

to test my progress, i got the HG300 out, and then was able to do 5 singles, from parrallel, to fully closed, with a 2 second hold. progress has been made, yessssss :rock .

Modifying my workout now. heavy day will consist of 2 sets of HG250 closes, 5 sets with the #2, and 5 sets of HG300 closes.

On medium day i will add the HG250 to my TNS closes, for 3 sets only.

light day will remain the same.

Feeling good, and the wife says i can order the #3 now too, so wooooo hooooo.

take care, and good lifting.

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile, but i am luckily keeping up with my heavy, medium, and light day routine. here are some of the gains since last posting.

getting the HG300 pretty easily now from parralell.

still about a 1/8 of an inch from TNS with the HG250.

my reps from parralell with the coc #2 are up to 7 now.

i now get 70-75 full reps with the trainer.

i also threw in the coc #1 on light day just to shock the system, got 50 reps with it, all from just wider than parralel, for 4 sets, and thirty on the last one.

pinching has gone up too, can now pinch 2, 25 pound plates.

all and all, not too bad, still making gains, and progressivly making the workouts harder. my left hand is getting better also. doing light pinch work with it, and i can finally close the HG100 for several singles too.

For other workouts--- was finally able to hit heavier weights on bench, 95 dumbell bench press for 5 reps, and 225 from the bottom in the power rack. getting there finally.

hit the gym today, got 235 from the bottom in the power rack on bench press. did 1x135/ 1x185/ 1x225/ 1x235/ 1x235

got 245 from the bottom in the squat, first time squating in about three weeks.warmup set of 15x135 full range squats, then did 5 bottom position singles,1x135/ 1x185/ 1x205/ 1x225/ 1x245

also got my weighted pullups going again with singles- 1x40/ 1x50/ 1x60/ 1x70/ and 1x85.

hand is getting back up there, albeit deformed, and not fully functional. oh well, adapt and overcome.

take care and good lifting.

Edited by T-Dog

had a day off finally, so i got to go to the gym and hit the weights hard for once. had to start a real abbreviated training routine as of late, two days a week, but ya know what, i'm making some gains strength wise just the same. started off with some light farmers walk for only three sets of 25 feet with the dumbells i was going to bench 40's/60's/70's

hit the DB bench hard 1x40x5/ 1x60x5/ 1x70x5/ 1x80x5/ 1x90x5/ missed attempt with the hundreds, but thats ok, went right over to the power rack and hit bottom position BB benches and got my old PR again.

1x185x1/ 1x225x1/ 1x245x1

then hit someeasy deadlifts for singles 1x225/ 1x275/ 1x275 tried 325 twice but was getting a little wobbly from the heat, so called off any other attempts

hit two bottom position squats 1x135/ 1x185 but was still wobbly, so i went to the leg press machine and knocked out 20 reps with 200lbs.

then hit the grippers #2: 3/3/2/1/1 HG300: 1/1/1

stopped there and hobbled out the gym.

been having some off days with the grippers the last week or so, so i have cut back on using them some, and doing other grip work for awhile.

welp, thats all for now, take care and good lifting

hit the garage yesterday for a quick and hard workout.

hit the grippers for some squeezes IM #2 for 2/2/1/1 and the HG250 for 3/2/2/1/1

did bnch press farmers carry combo- farmers carry for 30' then 10 reps incline with the 70lb DB's carried. from there it was the same carry, but this time flat bench for 10 reps, then finally carry, and then 10 reps decline. felt pretty good after this one

then took the sandbag, from the ground, to over the shoulder and walked 30', switched shoulders, and walked back. did this 2 times. sandbag still weighs 140lbs. when i can press it consistanly, i will add another 20lbs.

then it was sandbag press attempts, was pretty smoked by now, and only got the dern thing halfway up over the head for i had to lower it back to the ground. did 5 attempts.

then hit the pulldowns for 2 sets at 150 lbs. was getting pretty hot by now, me and heat don't mix all that well anymore so slowed down some, and hit the curls for 5 sets of three, with the 50lb DB's (handle on the one in the good hand is 2.5inches) hands were so sweaty couldn't do more than tree reps for the handle got so slick i couldn't get a good grip.

that was about all they wrote for last night.

oh yeah, did some clean and push presses for the first time in a while today. did 5 singles in the clean, and did another 7 singles of the clean and push press, and one set of ten reps of the shoulder press with the same weight. gonna start hitting these hard.

did a quick workout as soon as the garage cooled down enough.

timed sets of pushups: 30 seconds: 56reps/44reps/45reps/42reps/ then did 15 hindu pushups to finish up

did some swings with a 50lb dumbell, see it done with kettlebells all the time so i gave it a try with the DB. not bad, going to do these every once and awhile from here on out.

did one set of side bends with 70lb DB for 20 slow reps each side

did 10 deep squats with the 140lb sandbag held bearhug style.

not much but enough for now, gonna hit squats tommorrow at the gym if i get time.

welp, been busy the last week or so, and working out has been low on the priority list. sleep was number one. we did the troops final roadmarch the other day, and the heat got to me, had cramps, and was near exhaustion. did finish about 10 of thhe 15km with 90lbs in the rucksack fore i had to stop. really dehydrated for the next couple of days. over the next couple of days following, at work, i hit clean and press for singles, and some shoulder presses. 145 is my max for now, but not my true max. will test out on it here soon. more to follow on that. in the standing shoulder press, it was 135x8. now these were only truely half presses, not to the chest, or back of the neck or anything, just till the upper arms were parralel to the ground, then back up.

today i jit the gym. bench with DB's-55x5/65x5/75x5/85x5/95x5, then did two single benches from the bottom position, 185x1/225x1/tried 245, but got half way up and stalled.

did some shrugs 135x10/225x10/225x12

did some squats too, but not really to much, only enough to get the blood pumping 135x5/185x5/225x5/275x2 and then called it a day. did hit a no set with the HG250 though today. hands have been off for the last couple of weeks, and have been struggling with the grippers. but gonna start my program again tommorrow for another four weeks or soo. we'll see what happens.

till next time, take care and good lifting

Was going to start with my Hvy-med-lgt routine again, but decided to do a two week course first. basically it is three days a week, about 10-15 sigle attempts, with either the HG250, or the coc#2. They will only be from the full open position, no setting, but holding the spring with my other hand till i get my index and ring finger on the handle, or TNS attempts. when tired, will hold the spring till i get the ring and pinkie finger on the handle. no more parralel sets. just full range singles. can now, after one week on it, can get the HG250, full range, and have gotten it twice TNS. The #2 is just bout there, but it too will not be long in the coming. I will start the H-M-L schedule again in a week. all reps will be full range, and i will do it for four weeks. if at the end of this cycle i'm hitting the #2 TNS, will order the #3, and begin working it till i get it too.

will do a workout here in a few, gotta let the garage cool down some.

got a chance to go to the gym today, and had a pretty good workout.

hit the squats, 135x5/ 205x5/ 225x5/ 275x3/ 275x1/ 295x1/ 305x3 1/4 squats

then did some clean and presses. would clean, then do reps of 1/2 presses overhead. 135x5/135x4/145x3/145x2/155x1 missed the press though

then did some deadlifts from the knees in the power rack, with 5second hold, 225x1/ 295x1/315x1/405x1/405x1

then hit some pull ups with weight, did one set of 5 full range dead hang, with 75 pounds strapped to me.

felt pretty good, can't wait for the next work out.

my brother is in town for a couple of weeks for school, and so we decided to hit the gym this morning for a quick bench workout.

barbell, flat bench- 135x5/ 185x3/205x2/225x1/245x1/255x1/245x1/245x1

flat bench, dumbells- 80x5/ 90x5/ 100x3

pull downs, 2 sets 200lbs, 5 reps each

not much, but enough to get the blood pumping

last night i hit some carries,

farmers carry- 5 sets, 50', 70lb BD's

waiters carry- 5 sets, 50', 50lbs (this is where you press the weights overhead and walk with them like this)

4 sets, 50', sandbag bearhug carry.

• 2 weeks later...

we are in the beginning of yet another cycle of trainees, have not had anydays off in the past 5 weeks, and the 20 hour days over the last two weeks are starting to suck. losing mass, and losing some strength. but today went and hit the pull up bar with some weights attached to me.

did 26 with out weights from a regular bar, palms away.

then about an hour later, hit the 2" thick bar, did 3 sets of 5 with 50lbs hanging from the waist, palms away

next did 1 set of two reps with 100lbs strapped to me, full range, dead hang, palms towards me, then finished off with a single with the same weight.

still feeling week in other exercises, but the full range closes with the HG250 are now a consistent event, and the closes full range with the #2 are getting there too, but are still not consistent.