Best Hammer Curl?

JamesG

A triple with 60, and a strict single with 65, I'm pretty light tho, bout 155-160, just to put that into perspective. Though I haven't trained them in sometime, I can still do about 60.

I have done 68lbs on some 2" handles with knurling. One rep and not super duper strict either. I hate the movement honestly.

I like them, but as soon as U hit a wait you can't really curl, cheating is inevitable.

Lately I have hit 15 reps each hand with an 85 pounder and 5 reps each hand with a 90 pounder. I hope to hit my 100 pounder by spring. This is full extension on a Preacher bench (so cheating is at a minuimun. And, yes, when you use heavy weight in curls, the weight will be out on front of you, so some counter-balancing is required to keep one's self from falling forward. This is no big deal. Just crank it up and don't worry about curling like a bodybuilder. The key is just cranking up the weight for a full movement.

Dave...

And, yes, when you use heavy weight in curls, the weight will be out on front of you, so some counter-balancing is required to keep one's self from falling forward. This is no big deal. Just crank it up and don't worry about curling like a bodybuilder. The key is just cranking up the weight for a full movement.

Always what I've believed, preacher's benches do help that tho.

• 1 year later...

6 reps right and left with 100 pounders in November.

a nice change is doing hammercurls with a barbell

my best is 22 kilo. single . :p

Its hard to compare numbers because everyones form is different and things like keeping your elbows glued to your sides makes it much harder. I know a board member and one of the best in the country said his max with 1-arm was 80 lbs superstrict and that most pullers who claimed more werent even close to out backpressuring him on the table.

Dunno how much I can do.....I stick with negatives for one week then no biceps the next week and just let them get the recovery blood flowing with the back work.

I do warm ups with 40s before I hit the negs....

Kyle have you hit any tournaments recently?

No....

Unfortunately I don't have enough money to do that at this time.....I'll be saving up though so I can get to some of them if not late this year next year some time.

Plus I don't have any vacation time from work so that helps my cause a lot as well :(

Its hard to compare numbers because everyones form is different and things like keeping your elbows glued to your sides makes it much harder. I know a board member and one of the best in the country said his max with 1-arm was 80 lbs superstrict and that most pullers who claimed more werent even close to out backpressuring him on the table.

Precisely, you really have to take the numbers with a grain of salt until you know exactly how they're doing them. Some guys train strict and others use quite a bit of body english because they want to pull like they train. I can see the advantages of both methods. Your wrist and your hand have to be strong too, otherwise you won't be able to use much of your backpressure horsepower. Speed is another factor, if you get owned off the start you're already at a disadvantage so the guy with lower numbers may get you.

I agree with what Josh said. Great hammer curl strength with a weak front wrist and your overall backpressure on the table will be subpar. Ive seen guys who can hammer curl a ton not have much backpressure because thier wrist is bent out of position easily and its hard to generate backpressure from this position. . .

I agree with what Josh said. Great hammer curl strength with a weak front wrist and your overall backpressure on the table will be subpar. Ive seen guys who can hammer curl a ton not have much backpressure because thier wrist is bent out of position easily and its hard to generate backpressure from this position. . .

Unless you train it.......... :whistel:upsidedwn

i think the only way to isolate the weight and get a good idea of a max poundage is doing them on a preacher bench arm straight down and up for a rep. :blink

I've only been working out for about 8 months or so and I didn't start out particularly strong but my best for hammer curls is around 50-55lbs for a good solid rep with good form (no swinging or leaning back), cause I know I can do 45 for reps even towards the end of a hard workout.

I've started to train my backpressure a different way recently though. I have been lucky to start training with Mark Maxey, a very good armwrestler who is just getting back into it after taking a long layoff due to a back injury (He took 3rd at the worlds in Russia in 1999). He got me started doing a new exercise for backpressure. We have a table setup with a pulley out in front of it. Take a rope and run it through the pulley so that you can hang weights from the end of it in front of the table and grap hold of the other end of the rope. But instead of holding onto the rope, tie the rope to a towel. Then, grab the towel so that you are squeezing it with your hand but it goes over your knuckles. Pretty similar to how some people do hammer curls with a towel over their knuckles. This way it really hits your front wrist hard. It's quite hard to control for me. Plus, you're at the angle that you would be on the table, so I think it helps. I can only do like 30 lbs 1RM on this haha, he was doing 75lbs for reps.

Just thought I'd share that, maybe it will be usefull to some others.

i think the only way to isolate the weight and get a good idea of a max poundage is doing them on a preacher bench arm straight down and up for a rep. :blink

To dangerous for negs so I don't even think about doing it.......

To dangerous for negs so I don't even think about doing it.......

huh???