Beginner's Workout

lukaz_

Ok guys, I am 16 years old (I would say I still have a lot of growing and gaining strength only by aging), 6 feet tall and around 150lbs. My hands are around 7 inches, pretty small, hope they still grow some :D.

I got interested in grip training on the middle of the year. Bought a trainer.Couldn't even close it once, so I began working with some forced assist reps through the day, on a GTG approach (Grease the groove, by Pavel Tsatsouline).

Then i bought a #1 (can close it 3 times with right hand), #2 (this is tough for weaklings like me) , powerball with no clock, dexterity balls, expand bands, mastery of hand strength book, made a pinch grip device which isnt very wide nor very small, made a forearm roller, have adjustable dumbell, also took a stick and put 2kg on the edge, to do levering and rotation exercises, and instead of raising the weight i keep going farther back on the 1 inch marks i made on it.

Thats the equipment i got....now for the actual program:

I will be performing these with no rest between each one in a circuit way:

Warm up with powerball

Pinch hold, normally using a weight that i can hold for 5-10 secs

Hold with a nail bending grip on a thin rope

CoC #1-1 rep

CoC T-5 reps (addin a rep to the #1 each week, and takin one of from T)

Finger extension-Assisted reps with the one above what i can open, and the one i can open for around 15 rep

Reverse wrist curls- 5-20

Wrist curls- 5-20

Forearm roller- 1 or 2 reps with a heavy weight, wrist down only (to correct inbalance)

Levering- 5-20reps

Rotation- 5-20reps

I will basically do Monday-heavy, Wednesday-light/nothing at all, friday-moderate

I will be doing deads, pull ups, and some stuff with thick bar on the other workouts.

Thats it guys, what do you think?

I am sorry if i may sound too newbie, and please pardon my english, I am not from the USA (thats why i got a bunch of stuff at once).

Thanks for you help :D

That's got to be taxing with no rest. I don't train the "right" way so I really can't give you any advice, but you might want to list your goals and such in this thread. What is your primary focus? etc. things like that. It's easier to judge a routine that way.

Sounds like a good all around workout leaning perhaps to an armwresteling program?

Hehehe good guess, I like armwrestling a lot, but what I tried to do is get down a good base on all aspects of grip.

I am using the thin rope hold for holding nails, and somewhat simillar to telephone book rippin,which i can do only with half a book once i learned the right way yesterday :D.

Also I will have wednesday as a free day in which I will work only if I dont think its too much.

I also will be rotatin the first exercise and set/rep pattern because I will be studying a lot this year, so I wanna make a program that I wont have to change much during the course of the year.

I just toyed around with finger walking and may add that since i felt it a lot on my pinky, which I think is something i probably lack as a newbie.

I know every1 is different, but since I am 16 and can close trainer around 15 times and #1 around 3, how long do you think it would take me to close #2 if i use this workout?I got from not closing the T to closin the #1 once in about 3 months but thats probably because i adapted to the motion, and learned the technique better, but anyway, what would you guys guess?

Thanks a lot for your help guys :D

PS:Also on wrist curls, should I restrict my training to more reps like 15-20 or its totally fine to go on the lower 1-8 range?My goal it max strength, which I think would come with functional (myofibrillar) hypertrophy.

I think generally your routine is fine except for the circuit/no rest componant. If you are after endurance solely then maybe thats fine, if you are after the fastest strength gains possible then you can train hard but you cant train long imo, short brief intense exericise with 2-4 minute rests between sets always works best for me when trying to get stronger. Circuit training is fun to break things up for a while, but if strength is your goal, serious strength, then insert rest periods between the exercises, keep reps low, and try things like negatives and forced reps etc...

As far as pinkie and ring finger training goes, 2 finger pinch (plate or otherwise) and levering to the rear are great to build strength up :)

Just my opinion

I wouldn't recomend going to hard and try to max on wristcurls. My advice is don't go below 6 reps for the first couple of months.

As for the #2 it is hard to say. Some get there really fast, others do not. I haven't got there myself, so I couldn estimate the time it takes for you to get there... Just keep at it