Reverse Curl Pr's

JamesG

As me & Blackheart discussed on another thread, doing reverse curls with Apollon's Axle or 2" thick bar, on a preacher bench, is a whole nother deal. It's real strict & hard to bring those up, I think. Frigging humbling. I did (4?) X 73 awhile back; elbows hurt for days.

I think Blackheart said he did 90 lbs. It's hell on the thumbs! (and elbows) I guess overhand thumbless might be a neat trick to try, esp. since thumbless thick bar work is said to help make Crushing (gripper) strength stronger. I might try thumbless overhand reverse curls with thick bar, here before too long

TelegraphKey, i was misunderstood!!!! i can do 90 lbs on a regular EZ bar not on a thick bar!!!! I have no access to thick bars! I wish i could try this with a thick bar.... :rolleyes

Oh, ok, that's cool. I did think that was awful strong, to tell you the truth. Reverse curl, preacher bench, thick bar, is pretty frigging hard!

I wonder if you can't go to a hardware store & buy a long (at least 4') piece of PVC pipe that's 2-3/8" thick diameter. This is the same thickness as the Rolling Thunder. If you put a longer piece of either 1" or 2" metal pipe inside the PVC tube, then maybe pour concrete inside to seal the metal pipe in place, you could have your own thick bar!

TelegraphKey, i was misunderstood!!!! i can do 90 lbs on a regular EZ bar not on a thick bar!!!! I have no access to thick bars! I wish i could try this with a thick bar.... :rolleyes

if you have an extra olympic bar you can take one end off with either a allen wrench or a snap ring add a piece of pipe insulation and a piece of p v c pipe and make one i did and the feel is the same as a metal bar put chalk on it and its the same or do the same with a regular bar good luck

My PR in the Reverse Curl is 35lbs.

So is mine. But I do them one-handed on the RT with a loading pin (actually I have Tetting's "The Handle"...same deal though).

Anybody else try these? One-handed is awkward at first, but now I really like them. You have to really focus on keeping your hand pronated--it has a tendency to want to turn into a hammer curl. Still, less stressful on the wrists than a straight thickbar.

I found "The Handle" too thick (for me) and too slick to do these thumbless, so it's a great thumb workout too!

I finally decided to get one of these after reading the diesel crew's armwrestling articles. I love this thing for curls and behind-the-back wrist curls too!

120 pounds for 10 reps in the Rev. EZ-curls.

170 in the EZ-curl.

Both at a bodyweight of 212.

Dave...

154 lbs on a 2" bar.

:blink DANG! :blink

That IS extremely good! Not to be an ass or anything, but how does that compare to a thick bar rev curl on a Preacher Bench?

I believe that a reverse curl on a preacher bench is the most difficult and more strict movement for reverse curls at least.I cannot cheat when doing these...

Got 95lbs for 11 reps last time (olympic bar w/thumbs) - was feeling all rugged and tough, right up until I read the 154lb on a 2" bar - thanks alot Chris!!

154 lbs on a 2" bar.

DANG!!! That's very nice. :mosher VERY STRONG :mosher

I think in Dino Training Kubik was recommending 100 pounds as a reverse curl goal. And 150 for a normal curl.

I think in Dino Training Kubik was recommending 100 pounds as a reverse curl goal. And 150 for a normal curl.

Is that on a thick bar

I have regular curled on an ez bar 154 lbs back, butt, shoulders against a wall, standing, strict form, elbows don't move. On a preacher bench, this goes down considerably. Haven't done this, or even curls period for a long time.

I have done reverse curls more recently, and always on a preacher bench. With all the talk of big maxes, I think I will switch to standing.

We really need to make clear EXACTLY what form we are using when we compare maxes on curls & reverse curls. Standing freely, even if you try not to swing your hips & keep your elbows still, is still much easier than leaning against a wall & never moving your shoulders & butt from the wall & keeping elbows in one place. And leaning against a wall, is in turn much easier than sitting at a preacher bench, where you can't engage any body part except your arms alone.

Is that on a thick bar

I have regular curled on an ez bar 154 lbs back, butt, shoulders against a wall, standing, strict form, elbows don't move. On a preacher bench, this goes down considerably. Haven't done this, or even curls period for a long time.

I have done reverse curls more recently, and always on a preacher bench. With all the talk of big maxes, I think I will switch to standing.

We really need to make clear EXACTLY what form we are using when we compare maxes on curls & reverse curls. Standing freely, even if you try not to swing your hips & keep your elbows still, is still much easier than leaning against a wall & never moving your shoulders & butt from the wall & keeping elbows in one place. And leaning against a wall, is in turn much easier than sitting at a preacher bench, where you can't engage any body part except your arms alone.

I'll look it up on my next day off in Dino Training. Can't remember if it was thick bar or Olympic bar.

Brooks said to shoot for a 150 curl and 100-120 Reverse curl, both on a 2"-3" bar.

He also wrote that he could reverse curl 150 on an oly bar and only 100 on a thickbar, which agrees with my experiences comparing the difficulty of the two lifts.

on a 2'' thick bar maybe but these kind of weights with a 3'' thickbar seem extremely difficult not to say impossible.I must buy some thick bars though....the pumps on the forearms from the thickbars are incredible!! :mosher:mosher

• 1 month later...

200 pounds one hand on my thick handled dumbell............

Just kidding, I'll have to try this to see what I get.