Just Call Me Bendy

Scott Styles

Fresh off of 10 weeks of levering and thick bar work, it's time to start bending again. The previous cycle can be found here:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=16150&hl=

I will be taking a similar approach as the last cycle, except this one will only be 8 weeks. The idea is I can use my engineering and project management skills to make myself strong. Workouts are twice a week, on Tuesday and Saturday. The primary grip focus will be double underhand bending. I will be doing yoga for my joints and round things out with some wrist roller and block weight work. Recovery will be focused on intensely, tracked in 2 week microcycles, as described in the post following this one. Here are the exercises and my goals for them:

Yoga - Strength and Flexibility

My primary source for full body strengthening and streching activity well be yoga. I've got a DVD that combines yoga and pilates. I am going to need to build up to completing the whole DVD in a single session, then focus on improving my ROM in the exercises. My goal is to develop my flexibility and build my core strength for the squat cycle I will have following this cycle. I'm also hoping the yoga will fix my bad shoulder up. If it doesn't, I really have no ideas other than going to a doctor. It's possible I may end up going to a yoga class at some point for fun.

Double Underhand Bending - Crush and Ulnar Deviation

My current PR double underhand is a 6" piece of 3/16" FBBC stock. As a result of the levering last cycle, I have the wrist strength to do more, but my pinkies are weak. My long term goal is a 60 penny nail. I do not know if that will be possible in 8 weeks. I'd at least like to take down a 6" grade 2 bolt. My primary source of steel will be FBBC stock, though if I get stuck, I may get a 5lb box of timber ties to work through. I will be wrapping the nail with simple shop cloths. One of the key factors I need to identify is how far I will require the steel to be bent before switching to double overhand for the crush. I'm thinking 60 degrees. My best bend double overhand is a 6" piece of 1/4" round FBBC stock, so jumping into double overhand early would be cheating myself. I need to print a protractor off the internet to measure the angle of the steel.

FBBC 2" Wrist Wroller - Narrow Pinch and Wrist Extension

With the roller set at chest height, alternating hands, and rolling to stress my wrist extensors, my PR is 50lbs. If I use both wrists at the same time to move the weight, I can do 80lbs. I will be using the alternating hand approach during this cycle. I will do 1 warmup and 2 work sets, starting with 50lbs for the first week's work sets. Weight will increase 5lbs a week.

Block Weight Curls - Wide Pinch, Wrist Flexion, Finger Tip Strength

Taking an overhand pinch grip on my block weight, I do a bicep curl. My PRs here 8x20lbs and 1x25lbs. I've not determined the exact sets and poundage progression yet. This exercise will be "optional" and the first to go if I start having recovery issues. I may also switch up the curls with tosses or max attempts at times.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Starkmann

• chrisof4

• climber511

Recovery

My recovery approach will be broken down into three major groups: Environment, Active Recovery, and Diet. The subfactors for each are as listed below and will be tracked daily on my PDA. Every 2 weeks I will analyze the data in Excel and refine my approach.

Environment

1. Keep the humidifiers at home and work full

2. Wear gloves to bed

3. Wear gloves when outside

4. Get 7.5 hours of sleep

The only hard one here is getting enough sleep. This list is pretty clear after the last cycle.

Active Recovery

1. Do finger extensions

2. Play with dexterity balls

3. Do contrast baths the 2 days following a grip workout

The contrast baths are my weak spot on active recovery. Now that I'm working 10 fewer hours each week, that may improve.

Diet - Eaten Daily

1. Celery and Carrots

2. Lettuce

3. 1 Piece Fruit

4. 3/4 cup Berries

5. Seed Mix of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, and Brazil Nuts

6. Flax Cereal

7. Yogurt

8. Beans

9. Drink iced tea in place of soda

10. 8oz Soy Milk

11. Soy Patty

12. 12oz cup of milk

This is the area where I feel there will be the most change. This is a good start as a result of the last cycle, but may evolve as I learn more. Early next week I'm going to start taking DHA each day as well. If after a month I have no ill side effects, that will become a permanent supplement for me. I will be giving either glucosamine or creatine a try after the first 2 microcyles have passed. I'm not sure which yet.

Diet - Eaten Daily

1. Celery and Carrots

2. Lettuce

3. 1 Piece Fruit

4. 3/4 cup Berries

5. Seed Mix of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, and Brazil Nuts

6. Flax Cereal

7. Yogurt

8. Beans

9. Drink iced tea in place of soda

10. 8oz Soy Milk

11. Soy Patty

12. 12oz cup of milk

Scott, if you dont mind me asking whats your age/height/weight? Are you trying to lose weight or gain? That diet looks like enough for a small sparrow :) Even for a very small person that would likely not even be enough to sustain their basal metabolic rate, much less someone whos excersing like you do. No addition of maybea few pieces of chicken, some carbs (plain oatmeal) in the am, or maybe even a PWO shake and/or dextrose?

Dude, those foods are not the only thing I eat. They are my core, the things I try to eat every day to ensure a balanced diet. Other than that, I eat whatever I want. Like tonight for dinner I had tofurkey with stuffing, peas, mixed veggies, milk, lettuce, celery, and a couple of cookies. Only the milk, lettuce, and celery are part of that core diet.

I'm 24, 5' 7", and around 240. My weight appears to slowly trend upwards, but I don't have any goals for it other than to not limit progress. I got rid of my scale a few years ago and decided to stop worrying about body fat percentages.

Dude, those foods are not the only thing I eat. They are my core, the things I try to eat every day to ensure a balanced diet. Other than that, I eat whatever I want. Like tonight for dinner I had tofurkey with stuffing, peas, mixed veggies, milk, lettuce, celery, and a couple of cookies. Only the milk, lettuce, and celery are part of that core diet.

ok phew, lol. Looked like my diet cutting weight for wrestling. That looks really good then as far as baseline nutrition goes :rock Good luck man

I'm 24, 5' 7", and around 240.

Perhaps a typo, Scott?

Nope, just deep dish pizza and video games. After trying both, it turns out I like good food more than doing cardio.

You don't look 240 Scott. You carry it pretty well man. No joking.

Looking forward to reading your new log. Best of luck man! You'll KILL a 60D nail in 8 weeks with your attention to all the details. I keep a sheet of graph paper for each grip-related exercise that I do...that should at least make us half brothers. :tongue

01-03-2006 - Workout 1 of 16 - Playing: Me, getting humbled like I never expected

Oh boy, was this workout ever an exercise in humility. I got my butt handed to me on the yoga and then the bending. To make it worse, one of Ben's coworkers also just started bending double underhand. She managed to get a piece of 5" long 3/16" square stock. Believe me, I was thinking about that as my 7" piece of square refused to move. End result, this needs to be an 8 week cycle for sure. There is no way I will get where I want to go in 6 weeks.

Yoga: 7 of 16 chapters

The woman leading this DVD is like 50 and probably half my size. She served me a big old pile of humble pie. I got through 7 of the 16 chapters of the DVD before being totally gassed. I couldn't keep up with her on a lot of the exercises and had to dumb them down for myself. I hope lots of progress will be made here very quickly.

Bending, Double Underhand: http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060103DUWO.jpg

FBBC 3/16 Round: 7", 5" (PR), 7", 7"

FBBC 3/16 Square: Kink a 7" piece

Bleh, I suck at double underhand right now. All that levering did me no good. My pinkies let me down and my wrists are at their weakest at the point where I'm suppose to apply the most force. Honestly, my form must suck, because my bad shoulder hurts too. I'm going to need to review how to do this, cause I think most of the force that goes through my wrists is supposed to come from my lats and my traps. Right now I think it's coming from my shoulders. If it turns out my shoulder is just jacked and my form is ok, I'll have to switch back to reverse style.

FBBC 2" Wrist Roller (supported at chest height, alternating hands): 1x25, 1x50, 1x50

I'm content with these. I will stick with 50 for the next workout, then add 5lbs.

Block Weight Curls: 10x20lbs (PR), 1x25lbs, 5x20lbs

I like this exercise a lot. Afterwards I picked up my 30lb block quite easily righty. Got air lefty. I think I have a good chance of getting that 35lb blob up at least righty this cycle.

15 chances left to get stronger

Since I don't really understand how to do double underhand well, I don't know yet. I think part of my problem may be that I'm letting my wrists stretch all the way before I start trying to apply force. It could be a form issue not letting me use the strength I developed doing the rear levers. Otherwise, it may be that overhead levers are much better for building the double underhand strength, since the most force is on the wrist at the full stretched position.

After reading the bending article by Gregg and Dave:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/gregdavebend.pdf

I think my wrists are in the right place, but I'm holding my hands too far from my body. Maybe I'll video Saturday's attempts and get some feedback.

It also appears using the shop rags is a stupid idea. Since I'm not going to use leather, I went ahead and placed the order I've been planning with Ironmind. I got two sets of the bending pads, a set of expand your hand bands, and the Strongman Super Series DVD. Should be sweet when it all arrives.

01-07-2006 - Workout 2 of 16 - Playing: Big Steve Grip DVD 1

The nice thing about being bad at stuff is it's really easy to get better. Improvements all around today. I think I enjoy this part of a new cycle the most. Snuck in some max gripper attempts Thursday evening. Just missed my easy #2 righty, BBM lefty. Considering that I haven't trained grippers seriously in almost 3 months, that's a good sign. I might sneak a few more Thursday evening gripper maxes in as this cycle ramps up. I've been slacking on the contrast baths, after today's workout, it's going to be time to get the buckets back out.

Yoga: 9 of 16 chapters

I went until I started to feel sick and shaky - made it 2 chapters further in. I know I can keep pushing and maintain that sick feeling for a long time without throwing up, but I didn't want to kill my grip work. Still not copying her ROM very well, but getting better. Time will tell if I need to do a seperate stretching session on Thursday evenings.

Bending, Double Underhand: http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060107DUWO.jpg

FBBC 3/16 Round: 7", 7", 7", 7", 5"

FBBC 3/16 Square: Kink a 7" piece to 40 degrees

I'm feeling much better about double underhand after today's workout. The 5" piece went down far more easily than it did last workout. My kink is about twice as big on the piece of 7" square as well. I attribute this to watching Big Steve bend on his DVD, then copying his form. I need to get in the habit of shrugging my shoulders up as I drive down into the bar. My traps and upper back have always developed more readily than my other body parts, so if I can pull my strength from there, I'm set. My only limiting factor will be my left wrist, which lags behind the right.

FBBC 2" Wrist Roller (supported at chest height, alternating hands): 1x25, 1x50, 1x50

50 felt significantly easier this workout. I'm getting used to the feel of alternating hands as I roll the weight up. Will add 5lbs next workout. Need to be careful not to get greedy on this one. I'll kill the progress in my cycle if I add weight too fast.

Block Weight Curls: 2x25lbs (PR), 3x25lbs(PR), 11x20lbs (PR)

Learning how to do these better. Looks like I'll spend most of the cycle driving up the reps with my 25lb block. This really forces me to try and wrist curl the block as I pick it up. My hands were shot after the reps with the 20lb block. I'd been hoping to make attempts at the 35lb blob after the curls, but there was nothing left.

14 chances left to get stronger

Scott wrote: I need to get in the habit of shrugging my shoulders up as I drive down into the bar. My traps and upper back have always developed more readily than my other body parts, so if I can pull my strength from there, I'm set. My only limiting factor will be my left wrist, which lags behind the right.

Neil replies: Another superbly detailed training log here Scott. I wish you success with your DU bending. I bend DU myself since I am too inflexible to get any kinking pressure DO and don't have that body type.

Thx for the shoulder shrugging tip, I was unaware of that (perhaps why I cannot bend much more than a straw).

At your level, I think you will find Home Depot's Hot Galvanized 60D TT's very useful. I snip off the head and blunt the point (in case of accident) and don't have to rewrap often as they slip nicely into my wraps.

One of these TT's snipped in this way is about 5 3/4" and just about the same as 6" FBBC square 3/16" stock. You can off course cut them a bit shorter to make them a bit more challanging as you progress.

.. neilkaz ..

Ha Neil, you read my mind! I stopped by Home Depot this weekend for the sole purpose of getting a 5lb box of timber ties to practice with. I'm afraid I'll run out of square stock before I bridge that gap to the grade 2 bolts.

See if shrugging like Big Steve helps, it's where I seem to generate most of the power in my bends. I really want to find more resources to learn double underhand from. So far I've got Big Steve's DVD and the article from Gregg and Dave, but I know my form is still all over the place. I need to download some videos. Once I think I'm doing my form right, I'm going to post video here to get feedback.

01-10-2006 - Workout 3 of 16 - Playing: Nothing

Another good workout. I've been aching to bend since I got my timber ties on Sunday. Especially since Sunday I bent just one and it felt so good. Meanwhile, I despise the yoga and found myself thinking about ways to get out of it even as I loaded the DVD. It's pretty clear what I'm bad at.

It looks like I'll be going to the Michigan Grip Champs after all, so I'm now much more interested in fitting that max gripper workout in on Thursdays. I think that is the area of my grip that is probably most off peak at this point. Also, the contest is at Don Larkin's gym and I'll be spending Friday and Saturday evening in Three Rivers. So hopefully, since I'll have time, I can get one (or several) of the lifting gurus that will be at the contest to give me some direction on my squat form. That means, of course, I need to practice some on my own prior to the contest. The Thursday workout would be a great chance for that.

Yoga: 10 of 16 chapters

Made it through the all important "Hands and Knees" series tonight. This still kicks my butt, but I am dramatically improving each workout. I like to think that I now look like I'm doing yoga really badly, opposed to looking like I've fallen and can't get up.

Bending, Double Underhand: http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060110DUWO.jpg

FBBC 3/16 Round: 7", 5", 5"

Timber Ties: 6", 6", 6"

FBBC 3/16 Square: Finish the 7" from last workout (PR), Kink a 5" slightly

I love getting better fast. It probably took me a month to get to this point reverse style. The timber ties are in the perfect sweet spot for me to practice form. Just the right length, just the right strength. I will do nothing but timber ties next workout.

I knew I could hit a straight piece of the 7" square since I finished the piece that was already kinked. So I went for the 5" piece. Too much, too soon. I need to limit myself to a max of one PR bend per workout. It's not a race. I also need to be sure to keep the force application even. On the 5" piece I could see myself favoring my left side (good shoulder) in the mirror.

FBBC 2" Wrist Roller (supported at chest height, alternating hands): 1x25, 1x55 (PR), 1x55 (PR)

Going up! Nice and easy. Will repeat the weight next workout, then add 5lbs the following workout.

Block Weight Curls: 3x25lbs, 2x25lbs

Matched the reps with the blocks from last week, which ties my PR. Decided to drop the high reps with the 20lb block since I think they made my thumb ache. If I want a chance to do a gripper workout mid week, I need to keep the volume down a little bit on these.

13 chances left to get stronger

nice bends Scott.

Are you doing your wrist roller in a fixed position(on a sqaut bar or something) or free (just holding the roller out in front of you)?

Starkmann, I've got the wrist roller supported on a safety pin in my power rack. Climber511 made me one out of CRS that is completely smooth with no paint on it. Perfect for use with the wrist roller.

Well, I made all the reservations and bought the train tickets. I'm definitely going to the Michigan Grip Champs!

It's going to cost me $330, but the last grip contest I went to was some of the most fun I had in 2005. I still talk about it. And all the supplements in the world can't beat the kick it gives my training motivation.

01-12-2006 - Workout X of 16 - Playing: Nothing

Trying on the Gripper and Squat Form Workout for size. Definitely enjoyed it and am planning to do it again next week:

Squats

5x45lbs

5x95lbs

Cripes! Words do not do justice to describe how horrible I am at these right now. Luckily, I took video and have screen captures of the bottom of each squat on the set with 95. I feel the need to reinforce that this was an earnest effort and I am not screwing around:

Video

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112Squat95.wmv

Pics of Bottom position

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112Squat95Bott1.jpg

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112Squat95Bott2.jpg

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112Squat95Bott3.jpg

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112Squat95Bott4.jpg

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112Squat95Bott5.jpg

Let me just say that it is a good thing I'm getting help. Wannagrip is giving me feedback. I'm going to Greg's at the end of January, Michigan in the middle of February. The yoga is improving my flexibility. I'm going to get decent shoes. I'm trying.

Problems I am aware of:

1. I'm not going low enough, don't know how to fix it

2. I'm leaning too far forward, don't know how to fix it

3. I look funny at the bottom, don't know why or how to fix it

4. The bar isn't centered on my traps so I'm favoring one side

5. The bar needs to start on hooks that are a hole lower in the rack.

6. I need to be facing the bar when I setup to take it off the hooks

7. I need to put on some shoes

8. I need to put the light source behind my camera so I can get better video

9. The outer part of the bottom of my quads felt achey and a little tired after that. Dang...

Problems I don't see - I'm sure someone is going to let me know. And I thank them for it.

Grippers

Played around working up to a max. Tried to video a #2 close since the camera was out. Thought I had it righty, felt like it was shut, but can't definitely claim it from the video. Getting video of gripper closes is hard. Here's what I got:

Video

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112TwoAttempt.wmv

Pics of the Set and the Near Close

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112TwoAttemptSet.jpg

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/20060112TwoAttemptBest.jpg

I also bent a 7" x 3/16" nail with my Ironmind pads, after attempting to season them. It was tough to get a tight wrap and I didn't like them at all. I think this means they're not broken in yet. I'll keep trying.

I know you have more help than you probably know what to do with on the squat and most of them are a whole lot better at it than I am, but my suggestion is that your foot position needs to be adjusted. When I look at the pictures I see your knees wider than your feet. This is no a good thing. A wider stance may be in order. From the looks of the picture each foot should go 3 or 4 inches further out.

As for the other issues, they will come with time. Flexibility is important, as you mentioned. So is lower back strength. If you aren't already doing Romain Deadlift, Good Mornings, or just plain deadlifts then add these into your program.

In all honesty, practice and weight will help your form more than anything. I find with anything less than 100 i am all over the place, some days even up to 150. I am not trying to suggest that you chuck a couple forty fives on there and go crazy. Just bear in mind that it'll get better as you go.

Starkmann, I appreciate the feedback. I wonder if I'm pushing out with my knees instead of up, or something like that? We'll see how it looks next week. In addition to the items I've listed above, I've also been told to work on the following (paraphrased):

1. Lift my chest up and get the lungs full of air. As much as I can hold. This will help me to stay upright.

2. Don't focus on depth yet. Just be sure not to tuck the hips.

3. Keep the weight at 95lbs, I'm learning form.

4. Do multiple sets at 95lbs, I'm learning form and need to engrain it.

5. Stretch the hamstrings after the squats, this will help prevent hip tuck.

6. Focus on keeping the decent even. This should improve as a tighten my form as well.

7. The faces I'm making don't correspond to the physical effort it looks like I'm putting in

Gotta admit, there's a lot to keep straight. After seeing myself on video, it's no wonder I was never very good at squatting.

Starkmann, I appreciate the feedback. I wonder if I'm pushing out with my knees instead of up, or something like that? We'll see how it looks next week. In addition to the items I've listed above, I've also been told to work on the following (paraphrased):

1. Lift my chest up and get the lungs full of air. As much as I can hold. This will help me to stay upright.

2. Don't focus on depth yet. Just be sure not to tuck the hips.

3. Keep the weight at 95lbs, I'm learning form.

4. Do multiple sets at 95lbs, I'm learning form and need to engrain it.

5. Stretch the hamstrings after the squats, this will help prevent hip tuck.

6. Focus on keeping the decent even. This should improve as a tighten my form as well.

7. The faces I'm making don't correspond to the physical effort it looks like I'm putting in

Gotta admit, there's a lot to keep straight. After seeing myself on video, it's no wonder I was never very good at squatting.

The best advice you can get is from some of the super human guys on this board, so I would not presume to add to it.

I just want to encourage you to stick with it. I am relatively new to squats myself, but they are a GREAT exercise. I love them. Nothing leaves me feeling so wiped out as squats and deadlifts. Your form will tighten up and your flexibility will come as you keep doing them.

My squats are only in the 120 range, so we are not that far apart. You are a pretty big guy, however. I firmly expect your results will explode when you nail your form down. Keep at it. :rock