Someone vs the Phantom 4

Nathan Say

Steve's 445 #3 is hard, probably the hardest black #3 I've tried, much harder, much harder, than my 452. Terminator can attest to that one too.

Very true, and Steve always uses the patented Sybersnott technique of handing me the gripper after my lower arms have totally gone numb so that I don't close it........

I think every genius out there who thinks they have grippers figured out eventually finds out that they missed something. The only thing I need to know is "did I close it?"

I find the subtle differences between grippers to be exciting, I think if I had one #3 and every #3 was exactly the same I would probably go nuts. Need.....more......grippers.....

I find the subtle differences between grippers to be exciting

I find the subtle differences between a Ferrari and my rusty old heap very exciting too :tongue

Depth of handle set and coil tightness have a factor. The coil tightness IMHO is a pretty big factor. The tighter the coil, the harder the gripper will be.

I agree with your points Heath... I also think actual wire diameter

or it's thickness will contribute as well. Maybe not to a high degree

as spring depth or coil tightness would.

Measuring my #3s wire diameter with a micrometer, 2 are dead on

with their thickness. They feel exactly the same in strength or as close

to exact as they can. The 3rd one measures 2000th inch thicker. This

one is harder than the other two.

Small factor indeed but it is a characteristic of the industry.

Thanks

Why is Richards not certified as a # 4 closer then if he did close the Phantom 4 ????

There is also a difference between closing a gripper on a couple of occasions, and being able to close it for the IM witness AND get a picture of a close. I don't think anyone here doubts that Richard closed it, but it doesn't sound like he was ready for certification on it at any time. Still a very remarkable feat.

PDA's second measuring system, the one they developed after they stopped selling the SOS grippers, seemed to be on. Rick Walker also has one of those grippers.

The IP #'s didn't seem to mean much though, from my experiences and from everybody elses.

The reason Sorin isn't certified is because it isn't a #4. The gripper has a spring diameter of .295, just like the BBE. A #4 is some where around .315. I don't even think Dr. Strossen had made the #4 yet.

But, just like RSW said, still a very remarkable feat!

The dynamics factor and even gripper width between the handles comes into play and is HUGE IMO. I think Tom Black will disagree with Heath and also what I just stated. ;)

There are no magic formulas or machines to calculate gripper "hardness" or levels. John at PDA now even admits he went nutso in search of the holy grail. :laugh

The best part about all grippers being different is that you can then organize them yourself based on difficulty-and in turn, build yourself a set of stepping stones in strength, knowing each time you close the next gripper up-regardless of number-you are getting stronger. Which is ultimately the goal!

Here are my grippers in order of toughness:

New double stamped #1, old filed single stamped #1, old filed single stamped #2, new filed double stamped #2, BBM?(havent recieved it yet-still in mail), PDA 387, new double stamped #3, old single stamped #3, BBE (a godd bit harder than my #3s), BBSE, #4 (this beast is hard from start to finish!), BBWC.

Next week I am ordering a new BBE and most likely the RB grippers.

Can't wait to get my hands on Sorin's grippers!

Rick Walker :rock

Just for everyones' FYI (if you are interested that is)

Tetting will be coming out with the Super Master in May.

Other new gripper models in the latter part of May and a new

breed of grip machine.

Sorry, no specific details on the new models or the grip machine

at this time

You can build grippers all day long; the difference being what type of steel you use to build the spring, and what thickness is it? If the steel is a sliver thicker either way... this will determine how difficult it will be to close. That's why some #3's are much easier than others. And also, like Heath said, how tightly the spring is wound plays a big factor.