Someone vs the Phantom 4

Nathan Say

Paul, Randy Strossen gave one to each of Richard Sorin, Dr Ken & John Brookfield as a joke. He said so in his Iron Gripo interview.

Nathan,

Pretty funny joke, huh? So I assume that those are the only three in existence and none are available for purchase?

It looks like I will be able to make the Old Time Strongman's dinner....Sitting together as a grip group sounds like a real fine idea! I will bring the old #3 and Mr. Phantom 4 for the guys to play with.

Richard,

Great news.  I will arrange the table with Mr. Boff, and I really look forward to meeting you in person.

Group pics and attempt pics please! :)

Tom, bring your digital camera!!

• 11 months later...

To those that attended the Dinner and met the man himself

1st coc and pincher supreme :rock

Did anyone have a squeeze of the phantom #4,and what were your thoughts on this BEAST of a gripper :D

After much 3 closing and 4 attempts, I got it to 1/16" infront of Dr. Strossen.

I had a go at it after many 3 closings, and got it to about 1/2" away. It felt kind of spongy at the very beginning of its range of motion, and came on really hard in the end of its range of motion. Heath would have mashed it if he was fresh, because I have seen him close harder grippers. If given a shot right now, he would close it.

Heath and Steve thankyou for the replies.

Steve Awesome farmers mate :rock

Griparn the phantom #4 is a gripper that was rated at 621Ip to close by PDA,and is owned and was shut by the man himself Richard Sorin,it was one of the original #4,s hense the name.

I think this years AOB,there will be no mistakes,gripper wise the @4 will go,maybe more than once,just leave the other toys alone boys till the grippers are mashed :D

Wasnt phantom #4 the hardest gripper that PDA tested? If I recall I saw many #4s that had lower IPs. Whats the story with this? If the phantom could be closed why not all them #4s?

Because PDA's #'s are useless.

I also destroyed an original #3 PDA rated at 527, my 4 came back at 522 and I still haven't closed it.

That is an interesting statement Heath (PDAs #s are useless).

Given your status on the Gboard, I will respect your opinion :cool

I guess one should just be content with the unscientific measurement

of ranking one's own personal grippers in their difficulty to

each other and live with it.

Where's Barney Fife when ya need him?

I agree,grab 1 mash it move onto the next.

This is what Heath,Terminator,Mikael do,it makes it more fun also,and ya get to collect a lot of grippers 2 :D

The dynamics factor and even gripper width between the handles comes into play and is HUGE IMO. I think Tom Black will disagree with Heath and also what I just stated. ;)

I was sent 3 to test, 406, 432, 461 from PDA, rank them I was told. 432 was the hardest, and there was little difference from 406-461. Sweep makes all the difference in the world. The original 3 and the Phantom maybe hard as hell, but the sweep was so easy I smoked through it and let momentum take over. I have 3Crusher's silver BBE here now, stupidly wide, I have held it right at shut, but my best go is 1/4", why? The damn sweep is ridiculous!

Steve's 445 #3 is hard, probably the hardest black #3 I've tried, much harder, much harder, than my 452. Terminator can attest to that one too.

Would the setting depth of the spring be a factor to these grippers

Heath?

When PDA was selling off it's remaining SOS grippers and identifying

them by spring diameter, ie: 260,280,280SD and 295 inch diameter,

It was stated that although the 280 and 280SD were identical inch

diameter, the 280SD spring was set lower in the handles therefore

making it more difficult in closure

Heath and Steve thankyou for the replies.

Steve Awesome farmers mate :rock

Griparn the phantom #4 is a gripper that was rated at 621Ip to close by PDA,and is owned and was shut by the man himself Richard Sorin,it was one of the original #4,s hense the name.

I think this years AOB,there will be no mistakes,gripper wise the @4 will go,maybe more than once,just leave the other toys alone boys till the grippers are mashed :D

Gazza,

Why is Richards not certified as a # 4 closer then if he did close the Phantom 4 ????

This was before the #4 got mass produced and Richard Sorins close was

not put up for certification.

Some people believe ,others dont,who cares,Richard nows the truth,and he has nothing to prove on this board :D