Gripper In Between Bbm And Bbsm

denisbeck

With the new plus sizes available, which gripper would fall directly in between the Beef Builder Master and Supermaster? I'm thinking the number 2.

Denis, I can say that a #2 is pretty close to BBM and the BBSM is somewhere in the 2.6-2.8 range. I havent used any of the plus grippers from Tetting, but assuming what ZCOR and others have said I guess you could go with BBM+, or maybe one of the BBM1 or BBM2 (in another thread there was talk of different mounting depths from WLW). Of course there are other brands such as RB grippers---someone else may be able to give you an idea of which of those to get. Good luck , Mike

My HG250 is easier that my BBSM. It might be a good betweener for you.

Denis, I can say that a #2 is pretty close to BBM and the BBSM is somewhere in the 2.6-2.8 range. I havent used any of the plus grippers from Tetting, but assuming what ZCOR and others have said I guess you could go with BBM+, or maybe one of the BBM1 or BBM2 (in another thread there was talk of different mounting depths from WLW). Of course there are other brands such as RB grippers---someone else may be able to give you an idea of which of those to get. Good luck , Mike

Mike,

I spoke with Bill Ennis from Weightlifters Warehouse after I tried unsuccessfully to reach Mr. Tetting. He confirmed what ZCOR had stated about 4 levels for each gripper being available with the 4 being the hardest (What is also standardly shipped when not specified). Each remaining number has a sixteenth of an inch more tail revealed in descending order, so the 1 would be easiest due to increased leverage. I had thought that while leverage would be increased the would the sweep become greater making it harder to TNS. In the end, I went with the number 1.

What Bill also told me is that Mr. Tetting makes an elongated handled version that is used for negatives to enable the gripper to be put into a power rack and compressed. When I was looking up Mr. Tettings phone number I ran across the fact that he developed the cambered bar with Mike MacDonald that enabled Mike to accel at benching. A very creative man, I would like to find out more about what else he has created in his garage..

From what I have read on Mr. Tettings, he is a genius. :bow Everyone speaks very well of him. Well ,I feel good knowing I have BB4s on all of my models. Did Bill say what the actual measurements were for each one? I know you said they go down 1/16 inch, but what would the starting point be? Just curious as always! Mike

• 2 weeks later...
With the new plus sizes available, which gripper would fall directly in between the Beef Builder Master and Supermaster? I'm thinking the number 2.

The #2 is just a little bit harder than a Master, not a good in between. I would go with an RB 200, get one in all black, they are beautiful.

From what I have read on Mr. Tettings, he is a genius. :bow Everyone speaks very well of him. Well ,I feel good knowing I have BB4s on all of my models. Did Bill say what the actual measurements were for each one? I know you said they go down 1/16 inch, but what would the starting point be? Just curious as always! Mike

Mike,

Porkchop did an excellent job of clarifying this here.

http://www.grippermania.com/index.php?show...=20entry37914

Mr. Tetting is a genius, in trying to find info on him, I found he developed the cambered bar that helped Mike McDonald become the great bench presser he was.

The gap between BBM and BBSM is 60 lbs and the clearly the largest in the inventory of BB's that are useful to most of us. The RB180 fits nicely in that gap.

My RB210 is actually a bit harder than my BBSM.

Also I am wondering how much weaker than weakest of the new BBSM1's is when compared to the standard BBSM4. The BBSM4 has 1/16" handle setting while the BBSM1 has 1/4" setting and is, therefore weaker.

But how much weaker ? .. neilkaz ..

Also I am wondering how much weaker than weakest of the new BBSM1's is when compared to the standard BBSM4. The BBSM4 has 1/16" handle setting while the BBSM1 has 1/4" setting and is, therefore weaker.

Neil,

I received my BBSM1 yesterday. I am disappointed as it is not much different from my BBSM4. To me this range was taylor made for this type of product since the gap is 70ip. When you get down to the lower range grippers the difference will be even more insignificant. The only way these tweeners would work IMO, is if you were able to by the entire range, made from the same stock and wound and set by the same guy. You would pay throught the roof but at least you'ld know what you were getting. Other than that, it's the luck of the draw at $39 a pop.

Neil,

I received my BBSM1 yesterday. I am disappointed as it is not much different from my BBSM4. To me this range was taylor made for this type of product since the gap is 70ip. When you get down to the lower range grippers the difference will be even more insignificant. The only way these tweeners would work IMO, is if you were able to by the entire range, made from the same stock and wound and set by the same guy. You would pay throught the roof but at least you'ld know what you were getting. Other than that, it's the luck of the draw at $39 a pop.

P.S. I have an all black on black aluminum RB180 on order. Thanks

Neil,

Denis, this is quite disappointing, I'd say. The gap in between the BBM and BBSM is from 195 to 255 IP and that is a very large gap for gripsters at our level. With my minimal set training I can barely close my RB180, while I am 3/8" away with my BBSM, and can fully rep the BBM 4 times and IM #2 3 times. So all three RB180's I've seen and used have been somewhat harder than a #2.

Are the spreads the same on the BBSM1 and BBSM4 ? If so, and you don't find much of a difference, then it really seems that BB should come out with a gripper with an in between spring diameter and make it standard.

.. neilkaz ..

Neil,

Denis, this is quite disappointing, I'd say. The gap in between the BBM and BBSM is from 195 to 255 IP and that is a very large gap for gripsters at our level. With my minimal set training I can barely close my RB180, while I am 3/8" away with my BBSM, and can fully rep the BBM 4 times and IM #2 3 times. So all three RB180's I've seen and used have been somewhat harder than a #2.

Are the spreads the same on the BBSM1 and BBSM4 ? If so, and you don't find much of a difference, then it really seems that BB should come out with a gripper with an in between spring diameter and make it standard.

.. neilkaz ..

Neil the spread is an eighth of an inch greater on the BBSM1. There is also no distinguishing marking on it, but you can tell the difference based on the reveal. It also came in no packaging, so when the order is shipped you have to hope whoever is filling the order grabs the right one and has others to compare them to.

I think these tweeners will eventually disappear. I don't think there will be much of a market for them where there is a narrower range, the variance will be negligible and the cost to the consumer will be too high to make them where they should fall at the correct rating.

Neil the spread is an eighth of an inch greater on the BBSM1. There is also no distinguishing marking on it, but you can tell the difference based on the reveal. It also came in no packaging, so when the order is shipped you have to hope whoever is filling the order grabs the right one and has others to compare them to.

I think these tweeners will eventually disappear. I don't think there will be much of a market for them where there is a narrower range, the variance will be negligible and the cost to the consumer will be too high to make them where they should fall at the correct rating.

Hmmm..the spread is 1/8" greater. No wonder it isn't much weaker. If one does the basic geometry and keeps the spring coil exactly the same, then with the handles 3/16" lower, the spread should be about 1/8" greater ! Warren would need to slightly change the standard coil (like for custom narrower spreads) in order to have the spread of these hoped for tweeners be less. Honestly, I am surprised that he didn't do that, and perhaps it is just varience, but somehow, I doubt that.

Unless these tweeners are really tweeners, then they will likely not sell much at that price ! To be tweeners they need to have very consistant spreads.

.. neilkaz ..

Edited by neilkaz

Guys , this is very interesting. So , for example, the BBSM1 and BBSM4 strengths are almost the same, one has to wonder how on Earth anyone could tell the difference between a BBSM2 or BBSM3. While I like all the choices, and to each his own, I have to wonder again if maybe we are getting just a little carried away with some of these strengths. Mike

Guys , this is very interesting. So , for example, the BBSM1 and BBSM4 strengths are almost the same, one has to wonder how on Earth anyone could tell the difference between a BBSM2 or BBSM3. While I like all the choices, and to each his own, I have to wonder again if maybe we are getting just a little carried away with some of these strengths. Mike

Mike,

You that would be difficult, how about making 4 grippers between a BB Superadvanced and a BBMaster? There will be 4 grippers differentiating 22ip. I think it would be great if Mr. Tetting did one of the following: move the BB Master up to 220ip, move the BB Supermaster down to 240ip or create a gripper around 230ip it will fill the gap IMO. However, he's far smarter than anyone regarding these grippers, so I'm sure there is a reason they are at the levels they are at, it just isn't apparent to my simple mind.

Neil,

P.S. I have an all black on black aluminum RB180 on order. Thanks

My RB180 is allmost exactly the same as my #2.

Denis, I agree it would be great to have these in-between sizes. But my question would be, material wise is it even possible for there to be enough of a consistency in the wire used for this to be possible? And is it even possible for us to tell that small of a variation (personally my strength is all over the place depending on time of day, sleep, stress, ect. ect.) in poundage? I mean we all know how much GRIPPERS VARY :blink as it is. I am just thinking out loud though, the more grippers the better! Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Denis, did you ever get that RB180, and if so, is it the tweener you were looking for ? .. neilkaz ..

Denis, did you ever get that RB180, and if so, is it the tweener you were looking for ? .. neilkaz ..

I am checking the mailbox with anticipation each night as it should be here anyday now. I think it has been two weeks since I ordered and Robert said he was shipping them right out. Neil, does it normally take this long?

Thanks

I am checking the mailbox with anticipation each night as it should be here anyday now. I think it has been two weeks since I ordered and Robert said he was shipping them right out. Neil, does it normally take this long?

Thanks

My RB's ordered directly from Robert, arrived here in my distant Chicago burb, 9 1/2 days after I ordered them. However, now I understand Robert has been bogged down by a huge order, and his deliveries have been a bit slow in some cases.

If you email Robert, he can send you a tracking number fro the Austrian post service he uses. The site is in German, but I didn't have much trouble figuring it out. You can PM it too me if you need my help understanding when they were shipped,

.. neilkaz ..

Dennis, a lot of times it takes a month from order time to doorstep. His stuff always gets there, in my experience, it just takes a long time. It once took me about 6 weeks.

Thanks Neil and Jeremy, I wrote to Robert and he replied I should be getting it within a few days. Not in a rush for it, I got a little nervous when I receive my billing statement and the order wasn't on there, thought there might have been a mixup. He was out of the steel grippers that I wanted and was going to send aluminum, which was fine by me. I didn't know you could get them in either metal. I'll give a heads up when I receive it.

Thanks again

Can he do the black handles in aluminum and steel?

Yes.