HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!!!!!!!

Guest scott essery

baldy,

Don't you worry, I'll force Jim to get stronger ALL over. He's still a pup at this game with a lot of learning, training and pain ahead!

David

David,

Why don't you make a grip-training video so that we can all benefit from your experience? I think it would sell BIG!

Actually thats a very good idea - get all the best lifts on video while still at your peak.

Scott - put your lifts up and I'll say if mine are better or not ha ha ;)

I haven't a 3 inch bar so my 2.5 is what I use in training and I have done 114 kilo, Inverted grippers ?, Hammer Curl better than 50 kilo, V-bar better than 120 kilo, Two hand pinch (see other posting - iffy indeed :p ), wrist curl?.

I put question marks against some as I don't do these normally so don't know how good I will be come August. Not only that I don't want to limit myself. Sufficent to say I will beat most of the novices, a couple of the intermediates and may have one or two (of the six lifts) be world class     :D

Guest 115-1005574997

I hope your going to beat the novices Steve, bit embarasing if you dont :)

I'll gladly post my efforts as Ive got nothing to hide (new PBs all round as of last saturday):-

2HPG 70k

H bar curl 50k

TTWC about 90k

vbar 108k

inverted gripper #1 for 10+ secs

but didnt trythe 3.5" handle

All at a BW of 75kg

I think a training video would be a good idea, Dave, Jim and what do you recon?

Guest 115-1005574997

Steve

I dont get it? Get started on b/w?

I only told everyone that im a skinny fella 'cos ive nothing to hide and a 70k 2HPG or 108v bar at, say, 100k b/w isnt that good.

Can you pinch 2x20kg plates together?  

111k is very good, dont get me wrong, and with 14 weeks of training you could have another w/r.  nice one. :)

Thre was a posting on the board asking if bodyweight was connected to lifts. Non-grip stuff yes, grip stuff was questionable, then we got into the should it be included in grip comps and so on. Pure grip, that which does not involve thigh, back strength etc was agreed as being not really connected to bodyweight. Therefore... You might not have seen the posting - I don't look at them all myself

August 3rd 2002 - British Iron grip Championship.

Main event to follow grip competition:  

Steve Gardner Vs Scott Essery in fight to the death to settle grip related disputes. Not to be missed!!!

(allowances for weight and age will be allowed)

Guest 115-1005574997

Your a cheeky monkey at times Jim  

:D

All im going to say is that is going to be a fight to the death by ALL the competitors and you have your work cut out with an old fella wanting a 7th British Title and arguably the strongest woman (grip wise) that’s ever lived.  You cant make this stuff up!! :)

The 3rd of August will make D Day look like a back garden barbeque

Jim you forgot hand sizes ;)

Its ok Scott when we go to the bar after for a well earned pint of the local brew Jim will be providing the comedy act    :D

I don't think you can completely rule out bodyweight as a factor in grip strength regardless of whether it is a deadlift, etc.

Hmm I thought about this a little earlier (I'm sure this would be better in another posting but there ya go).

Truth be known. Just how much muscle tissue is it possible to have in the forearm muscles. There are some BB's - Dorian, Ronnie et al, whose forearms look huige without any specific training being down to the same level that most here do. Even Bill Kaz's purported 18 inch forearms are only three inches bigger than mine (15 just).

Therefore the muscle mass can only be say 30% greater than mine. This can apply to any body. I feel, more than any bodypart, that the strength applicable to grip is less likely to be related to muscle size and or bodyweight, than in any other lifts one cares to mention.

We have seen again and again huge forearms here mentioned (16 plus) who cannot do the No3 or are close to WR status on pure grip lifts. Sure they are big strong guys in the traditional sense but not always grip wise.

I am sure that the recent stats posted up and collated by Roark will (I hope) bear this out.

But muscle size compared to any lift between people is flawed... ie you've got 200 pound powerlifters who can likely outlift most 300 pound bodybuilders, #### even some 150 pound guys would give them a run for their money.

The only thing you can compare is muscle mass in yourself- That is, if all other training variables are equal, will adding an inch on your forearms increase your grip strength?

Also, like you said the guys with 16+ forearms don't do any specific grip work.... The question is would they be stronger or gain strength faster in grip events?

I was thinking BW along the lines of bone size moreso.

Take a look at many of the kings of grip and their hand/wrist size (not muscle size).

Normally, you won't have a 9in wrist on a 180lb guy!

:p

Yeah, like anything, there are exceptions to what I just said among the kings. However, how many REALLY specialized in grip training?  Even HG the German Giant didn't specialize from what I can tell from reading.

Guest 115-1005574997

From what ive seen in the past 3 years of grip lifting, I think the most advantageous thing to have is long, large jointed fingers and a narrow hand attached to a large wrist.  Of course there are some world class lifters with wide hands but you need 8" + wrists to be the best.

But that’s just my opinion.

funny you should say that, scott, I'd rather have large wide palms and short fingers! I think it depends on your focus. For climbing, a wider palm means more friction, and shorter fingers mean more leverage in the crimped or semi crimped position!

train hard

david