Isg Experiment

Jeff Parker

I am doing an experiment to see how much carry over work with an ISG will give me to my regular grippers. To start my experiment I need to list my current gripper strength with the 2 grippers that I will be measuring my progress with. COC2 and RB240N. The RB I got from Ronnie Castro that he rated at around a 2.7

Current Strength: All done with CC set

Right: COC2 closed for 4 consecutive reps opened past parallel

RB240N: 1/4" from close

Left: COC2: 1/4" from close

RB240N: 1" from close

I have never used an ISG before. It is sitting under my Christmas Tree right now, waiting until the 25th to be opened. Today, the 15th of December will be my last gripper workout until I open the ISG. I will run the experiment for 1 month, testing my strength with the same 2 grippers at the end. I will post my workouts with my ISG, using the estimated pounds from the supergripper pounds calculator page so it will be easy to get a general idea of progress with the ISG. I feel this will be easier than listing the different settings the springs are in. I will use the ISG 2-3 times a week, depending on what is going on.

My Hypothesis:

I will be able to close the RB240N for 2 reps right. I will get it to almost 1/4" left. I will close the COC2 for 2 reps left. I will be able to get it 8 times right.

Any guesses as to my progress are welcome, it should be a fun experiment and hopefully my grippers go up because I am doing Bobs MI grip contest in Feb.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas day was the first workout! Not an organized or planned out workout at all. I messed around with it a lot, trying it upside down and right side up. I really liked the feel of it, very gripper like when held upside down. After using it for a couple hours on and off, I decided to go up the chart for a max attempt. I will be using it mostly upside down, and all max attepmts will be done that way, but I also liked using it the other way for a different feel.

Stangely maxed out at 169lbs for both left and right. I assume this is because I had done at least 200 hard closes with each hand that they were both just about fired by the time I tried to go really hard. Next time I am sure my right will be more than my left, and that I will have a much higher max attempt. Also, I will train with it in a organized manner, I was just really excited to use it. My hands and forearms kill today!!!!

The ISG is an awesome tool.  And think... 4 springs... 512 pounds! :blink

That's crazy. Good luck in your training, Jeff. I can't wait to see the results of this.

Im very interested to see how the ISG works out for you.. Im gonna order one in a coupule of days, I didnt even know they existed until yesterday!. lol...

how is the handle on them? comfortable or what?

Everyone that I have talked to about it was uncomfortable with the handle, but I actually really liked it. Plus, when it is upside down and my hand is at the end of the handle, it is at credit card set distance to close. I will be using it again tomorow, cant wait!

so I just got my first blockweight, cut up a 65lb hex, and man was that fun to mess around with! Well, kinda got sidetracked for a while with that, but did some ISG work to. Didnt max out because of soreness, just got in a good rep workout, as well as some holds.

101#x10 left and right

118#x10 left and right

127#x5x5 left and right

doubles left and right with 137, 5 sets

holds with 139 did not time, but left was not as strong as right.

Well, the block weight was callin me names so I went over to it again and passed it around my back a couple times, then between my legs for a few, then did some cleans. Also, altough it dosnt relate to my experiment, did a new pinch PR today with plates. pinched 25s with 5lb extra and passed it around my body for 10 times. The left was the first to go, my right still had a lot more left in it.

Im very interested to see how the ISG works out for you.. Im gonna order one in a coupule of days, I didnt even know they existed until yesterday!. lol...

They're thinner than a gripper. A bit slippery at first, but you can put hockey tape on one or both handles. I just have it on the outside (palm), as you need to let your finger knuckles slip a bit, to get it fully closed. Great gripper. :D

the handle is smooth and thin. definitely not comfortable at all. i recommend athletic tape on the hands. if you don't do that, chalk helps immensely then.

I have been using chalk with mine everytime because if I dont, my hands slip a little, which does not feel like a regular gripper.

Good luck Jeff. I think your in for a big surprise :) I've only been using my ISGDA for no set reps along with a few sporadic #3 attempts and have seen a huuuge increase in my gripping. Looking forward to the experiment

Woke up at 5am to do snow removal. My buddies company for some reason did not get the plow they were going to buy. Everything done by hand, and we do houses with driveways that could be mistaken for a county road. Hands couldnt do anything with the ISG when I got done. Crap. I needed the money though.

Woke up at 5am to do snow removal. My buddies company for some reason did not get the plow they were going to buy. Everything done by hand, and we do houses with driveways that could be mistaken for a county road. Hands couldnt do anything with the ISG when I got done. Crap. I needed the money though.

Whatever it takes to get the job done, pay them bills and train. I understand man. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Ronnie, I see you have been putting in some long hours at work yourself.

Max of right, 169 left, 161

10 sec holds, 4 sets right,143 left, 130

overcrushes 10 singles 127

Went easy today so I could train more blockweights and RT. Next session will be a lot of ISG and minimal thumb work.

Starting to make some progress

Right max 181

left max 161 couldnt get my left hand situated on it right. Had to do these at work so I couldnt use chalk.

10 sec holds

right-147x3

left-127x3

Doubles 5 sets

right-139 First rep was easy, second always really really hard.

left-127 also first rep easy, second a lot harder than I would have thought

Negatives

right-202x1

left-181x1 These kinda hurt my hand.

Its snowing a little, if we get anymore I will have all kinds of fun shoveling for 8 hours with hands that are dead. My 2 handed pinch block came in from FBBC so I used it like crazy today when I got home from work.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was lazy and didnt record the last 3 workouts I had. They were very similar to the last workout posted. I did the results of the test though.

First day back on grippers:

Could barely close the 2 right handed, no dice on the left. Did I get weaker? Can't be, my crush is up from the ISG. I think it is technique problem. Try again in 3 days.

3 days later: Closed the RB240N right for one rep. Very solid close, but could not double it. This was my first time closing it.

Closed the #2 left. Also very solid, almost got a double. Did sigles with it, and got 5 of them within 15 min.

I would say that the ISG definatly helped me, but it should not be used solely. There is a technique change that needs to be worked on. I will continue to use my ISG as my primary work for crush, but only after some hard attempts with torsin grippers so I dont lose the technique.

Add to this, yesterday I TNS my 2 right handed EASY! Even got another rep with it, opening all the way up.

Damn, how could I miss that log?? :blink

I'm doing exactly the same.

I'm focussing right now on the ISG to see how it translates to grippers.

Will be very interesting to see.

I'm doing 'quasi' no-sets only, just position and squeeze.

Where do you get the scale for the ivanko ratings?

I found one on their site, but I am wondering if there are conflicting charts elsewhere.

I dont remember the site, I just typed in something like Ivanko suppergripper scale into yahoo.

Yes, both that chart and the one on ivanko's site are indentical. Good to know everyone is on the same page with the ISG settings. Thanks.