Afghani-grip

bender

Good luck on your goals, Bender. Especially on the chocolate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bender

• Left Side

• supermagnamon

• lifesnotfair

Training has been horrible! :angry:

My block weights and nails are right behind me, but all I do is work. 0730 to 2100 every day, then it's off to the gym, shower, and bed. Wake up. Repeat. No days off, no time to relax.

I train, but it's not scheduled or time set aside for just training. I'm back to being able to easily bend 60D's, and I can finally lever the 12lb sledge to my nose. Parallel, of course. Those are both great feelings.

The blob is still a beast, and I don't have my extra weights to add on to my 40lb hex, so training here has been slow. I used to walk 50feet with that hex and 10lbs attached, but now the full dead lift of just the hex is still a challence. Gains are slow, as my training is slow.

I did have two incredible oppertunities to bend 60D's for the Local Afghani's. They love it. They are a fairly small people, so the feats of strength are pretty amazing to them. Even in their native Dari or Pashtu, you can still make out what they are saying. One guy grabbed his bicep and said the words "Very Strong".

I'm currently involved in an operation to debrief drivers coming from around the nation, who show up at our base with supplies. My plan is to try the nail bending for them at the down-load yard before I start the debriefings, just to break the ice. I'll share those details when I get a chance to try it.

Who said nail bending wouldn't help with your job?

-Eric

Tis true - it helped me show what I could do with the guys at the gym and now I get asked about training all the time. It has also helped me get paid to show off, get free gym membership and get known by the local community. Strength and appreciation of it is breaking down barriers everywhere - good work!

Edited by mobsterone

-Eric

At work, my bent nails on my desk are great ice breakers to new co-workers and customers.

Training has been horrible! :angry:

My block weights and nails are right behind me, but all I do is work. 0730 to 2100 every day, then it's off to the gym, shower, and bed. Wake up. Repeat. No days off, no time to relax.

I train, but it's not scheduled or time set aside for just training. I'm back to being able to easily bend 60D's, and I can finally lever the 12lb sledge to my nose. Parallel, of course. Those are both great feelings.

The blob is still a beast, and I don't have my extra weights to add on to my 40lb hex, so training here has been slow. I used to walk 50feet with that hex and 10lbs attached, but now the full dead lift of just the hex is still a challence. Gains are slow, as my training is slow.

I did have two incredible oppertunities to bend 60D's for the Local Afghani's. They love it. They are a fairly small people, so the feats of strength are pretty amazing to them. Even in their native Dari or Pashtu, you can still make out what they are saying. One guy grabbed his bicep and said the words "Very Strong".

I'm currently involved in an operation to debrief drivers coming from around the nation, who show up at our base with supplies. My plan is to try the nail bending for them at the down-load yard before I start the debriefings, just to break the ice. I'll share those details when I get a chance to try it.

-Eric

good luck on the blob and bending red in the future. Stay safe and keep representing this country man :rock:rock

Thanks for the encouragement. That's why I love this board. I'll do a Blob-work-out right now.

Yesterday I "entertained" a pair of Sergeants Major while they were hiding in my office. It's the most secluded in the building due to the nature of my job. Yes, the pile of nails is nice to have laying around, especially since it's next to the sledge hammer. When I mention nail-bending, three people have assumed that I bend nails with the sledge hammer...

As the hand-strength is comming slow, the gym time and healtyh diet is going extremely well. I went from 216 to 209 in a month, while filling out the old muscles. That's a great feeling. Also, every dead lift work out my weight AND reps have gone up. That feels even more amazing. I just need to get to work on the wrist strength...

I talk to drivers this afternoon too. I'm not sure this is the right time to bend nails, but it will come soon. I'm anxious to share the results.

Can't wait to hear about it, glad to hear the gym training is going well.

Around here people think nail bending is stupid, glad you have an appreciative audience.

• 1 month later...

Well… The great length between posts can only mean one thing: grip training has been horrible.

I’m bending 60D’s with out strain, but G5’s are brutal-hard. Currently, I’m having a load of different 7” steel sent here so I can start working on the dreaded form of bending 7” steel.

I’ve had only a few block weight and blob work outs, and though I’m not blowing away my old PR’s, I’m feeling solid and some days the blob feels liftable. Not quite, but the hand strength is slowly coming back.

Work has been horrendous. 0800 to 2200 nearly every day. I have to work out from 2200-2300, and get to bed by 2330 so I can only grab 7.5 hours and start the next day. It drains the life out of you… Feeling VERY tired. Even when I skip the gym and grab 10, yes TEN, hours of sleep, I still feel tired.

On a much brighter note, I started CrossFit and LOVE it. I can’t believe I didn’t start this type of training earlier. It’s unbelievable. I thought I was “fit”, until I realized that my “8 sets of Cindy” were nothing from other peoples “30 sets”. I just re-defined my definition of “fit”.

I showed up here in country at 216. A few days ago I weighed in at a well-hydrated 202. That’s 14lbs over 10 weeks. 1.4 lbs per week? Not too shabby. Now with crossfit and running, the weight is going to fly off. Dare I even think it… I may get down to 185 by the time I get home… holy cow… That’s almost un-heard of. The last time I weighted 185 was early my Sophomore year of High School, when I was 16!!! I’m 28 now…

The gym has been amazing, and the “fitness” training has changed the way I look at the gym. It’s been a great experience.

I still haven’t bent nails for the Pakistani and Afghani drivers… That’s on the To Do list, but never gets done. I hope to get the chance sooner than later.

On anther note, my solider finally bent two-timber ties. They are the Chinese cheap-o types that bend at about 110, almost like a white or green nail. He bent two at once and was super proud. He should be. He wants to bend a 60D by the time we leave.

Keep up the hard work Bender. I wish I had been into grip when I spent some time in the desert. Watching a rock that is only an inch tall have a eight inch long shadow gets old.

-Sean

SGT. USMC (turned teacher)

Well… The great length between posts can only mean one thing: grip training has been horrible.

I’m bending 60D’s with out strain, but G5’s are brutal-hard. Currently, I’m having a load of different 7” steel sent here so I can start working on the dreaded form of bending 7” steel.

I’ve had only a few block weight and blob work outs, and though I’m not blowing away my old PR’s, I’m feeling solid and some days the blob feels liftable. Not quite, but the hand strength is slowly coming back.

Work has been horrendous. 0800 to 2200 nearly every day. I have to work out from 2200-2300, and get to bed by 2330 so I can only grab 7.5 hours and start the next day. It drains the life out of you… Feeling VERY tired. Even when I skip the gym and grab 10, yes TEN, hours of sleep, I still feel tired.

On a much brighter note, I started CrossFit and LOVE it. I can’t believe I didn’t start this type of training earlier. It’s unbelievable. I thought I was “fit”, until I realized that my “8 sets of Cindy” were nothing from other peoples “30 sets”. I just re-defined my definition of “fit”.

I showed up here in country at 216. A few days ago I weighed in at a well-hydrated 202. That’s 14lbs over 10 weeks. 1.4 lbs per week? Not too shabby. Now with crossfit and running, the weight is going to fly off. Dare I even think it… I may get down to 185 by the time I get home… holy cow… That’s almost un-heard of. The last time I weighted 185 was early my Sophomore year of High School, when I was 16!!! I’m 28 now…

The gym has been amazing, and the “fitness” training has changed the way I look at the gym. It’s been a great experience.

I still haven’t bent nails for the Pakistani and Afghani drivers… That’s on the To Do list, but never gets done. I hope to get the chance sooner than later.

On anther note, my solider finally bent two-timber ties. They are the Chinese cheap-o types that bend at about 110, almost like a white or green nail. He bent two at once and was super proud. He should be. He wants to bend a 60D by the time we leave.

Haha, that was my introduction to CrossFit too, but I think I only lasted about six rounds of Cindy. Definitely a new standard for fitness; worth adding to grip/weight training. Anyway, my first grip forays were inspired by your excellent web site; so thanks and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Well… may as well end “Afghani-Grip” and start a “Afghani-Fitness” thread…

All I do is sledge and 60Ds. With out heavy lifting, my bending feels weak, and CrossFit as so many hanging exercises and pulls that I don’t work block weights as they leave my forearms too tender to hang.

CrossFit has been amazing. I’ve been hitting core-movement for two months now and my ab/core strength is phenomenal. I’ve been focused on hanging-leg raises, roman-chair leg raises, knees-to-elbows from the pull-up bar, and inverted crunches on a decline bench. The results are amazing.

The carry over to Jiu-Jitsu has been intense. Core strength and abdominal health is certainly key. Luckily AFN shows the Pay-per-view UFC fights on about a 2-week delay…

Body weight at 201, down from 222 at Fort Drum. The change has been amazing. With the drop in body weight, I feel a drop in bending strength. It’s a trade-off, but my goals right now are to go home in great shape.

I don’t think the “Red’ and “Blob” will happen, but the “Abs” goal just may come true. In the grand scheme of life, I think the total body health may be more important.

If any one is interested in CrossFit, check it out. The change the body goes through is amazing.

Try:

Sumo-dead-lifts to a high-pull with 95lbs x 10.

Front squats to shoulder Press with 95lbs x 10.

10 Pull ups.

10 Push ups.

Do the whole thing 5 times and record your time.

My favorite so far:

Put on a Flack vest with plates. (20 lbs)

Push-Presses 135x10.

Pull ups x 10.

Burpees x 10.

Do it 5 times, record your time. I nearly died. I sprained my ribs sucking-wind so hard.

Bender speaks the truth, CrossFit is not for the faint of heart and is the best all around intense fitness out there, in my opinion. Puke your guts out and serve it up for a victory breakfast!!! Stay strong Bender.

Bender speaks the truth, CrossFit is not for the faint of heart and is the best all around intense fitness out there, in my opinion. Puke your guts out and serve it up for a victory breakfast!!! Stay strong Bender.

Agreed, but there are somethings I like too much to give up my own weightlifting! When I accompilish a few more goals I will probably turn to crossfit.

• 2 weeks later...

Fully hydrated and "carbed" up, weighed in at 196. That's 26lbs lost, down from 222... Did I spend the last 3 months with a 25lb plate strapped to my back???

Still loving crossfit. I've never "met Pukie", but he's been knocking a few times. The day I sprained my ribs sucking for air, I was fighting him back something fierce. Tonights "barbara" looks like it could lead to something ugly. It "looks" so easy to finsih... It's all a matter of how hard you push it...

Hand strength has been reduced to 60D's, the 12lb sledge, and the IM #2 gripper. Makes me sad, but the fitness part is skyrocketing. Feeling awesome.

Work is difficult. Too many brothers flying home in flag-drapped coffins. I'm staying busy. Too busy. This friday MAY be my first day off in 5 weeks... Looking forward to it.

I finally did it!

Today I talked with about two-dozen Pakistani’s and Afghani’s through a translator, and then “entertained” them with some nail bending. They loved it. One performed a slight-of-hand magic trick in return. It was a great meeting. I closed with a quote from an Islamic scholar I was reading, about how it’s the strength of the body is what makes an animal great, but the strength of the mind is what makes a man great, closing with “it doesn’t matter if you can bend steel, as long as you have a strong mind as it’s through the mind that a man achieves greatness”. It was a great experience.

I love this part of the world. The people I've met have a kindness and openness foreign to most of the populated parts of the US. I wish I wasn’t here under such poor circumstances.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on Afghanistan.

Work has been high-paced, lifting has been good, grip training has been slow.

I’ve been focusing on wrist strength after identifying my weaknesses in arm wrestling. Of all areas of my body, my wrists were my weak point. I have a friend here who just won an arm wrestling tournament, so I asked him to teach me.

Apparently, I know nothing about AW and my technique is/was horrible. After a few classes, I was able to beat him twice with a top roll. Nail bending translates to top-roll strength. : ) Once I have his hand back, I can use my side-to-side wrist strength to dominate his arm. On the other hand, once he hooks me, my fore-arm gives out and he can pin me every time due to some strange lack of front-to-back wrist strength.

So, I’ve started heavy wrist work, mostly wrist curls with a dumbbell. I never did them with my arm horizontal and immediately noticed how weak I was. I could do a 30lb dumbbell for a set of 10, and after a month of training, I can wrist curl a 55 for a set of 10. I’m also noticing that I don’t have fore-arm tendon pain during AW matches, so it’s been going really well bringing up my weak points.

I don’t know if it’s my training, but my card tearing is at the best it’s ever been. I brought with me about three-dozen packs of dollar store cards. I could always tear them, but it’s been slow and up to a minute. One day after a poker game, I tore it in one movement. I thought it was because the cards were softened up, but I recently tore a fresh pack, and then a pack that was still in the box. Both were “easy”. It felt really good.

The gym has been good too. Body weight has been maintained at 202 for the last 45 days, and I’m starting a new cross-fit / paleo-diet phase to get the body weight down into the 180’s. That should be a great feeling to get to the next level of fitness.

The bench is stuck in the 280’s, but my pull-ups went from 5 to 20, which also feels excellent.

The back injury has been horrible and life-altering, but the pain has gone away. I am super aware of posture, I sleep with a rolled up towel under my lower back, and I stretch a few times a day. I no longer have throbbing back pain, or numbness in my left leg, and I feel healthy. That’s the best feeling of them all. The initial fear and dread of a spine injury really got to me.

I dead lifted 315 for a double, with out back pain, but squats really bother me. I feel hesitant going over 135 as I can feel my spine bending and the pain coming back. This injury is just further motivation to focus less on brute strength, and more on fitness.

The next mission is to get the body weight down to 185, and the pull-ups up to 30. I don’t have the right tools to meet my grip goals, but the wrist strength has been going well.

Yup. That’s my update. Today is the 50% mark. Only 6 more months.

Great to hear your back is doing so much better now.

Maybe a Super Squats Hip belt or something similar could help you?

• 2 weeks later...

I caught dysentery…

Ick…

Not very pleasant.

Food poisoning was worse. Much worse.

I may use this as a weight loss phase. : )

I caught dysentery…

Ick…

Not very pleasant.

Food poisoning was worse. Much worse.

I may use this as a weight loss phase. : )

Time for some good ol' charred wood brownies. Mmmmmm.good.

• 3 weeks later...

Training has been good. The bending has been poor, so I ordered the SM and GM, and have been doing daily ME attempts on the GM. My gym time has been really good, so my recovery and strength are both way up. I’m going to focus on grippers and see how I fair in the Mash Monster realm.

When I was closing the #3 for reps, I was similarly committed to lifting, and my strength has came back fast. I forgot how much it had to do with tissue toughness in the palm and pinky/ring fingers. Right now the GM is about 0.5mm from closing, and I should have it in a matter of weeks. Then it’s time for the MM1.

The back has been MUCH better. I can do about 5 sit-ups before the searing back pain comes back, and the same is true for about 5 reps on the squat with 135. It’s fairly disappointing. What’s a guy to do in the Army when he can’t complete the APFT? It sucks… not a good feeling at all.

But still, I pulled 285x10 with ZERO back pain. Before the injury I was at 365x10, so the journey should be a bit longer before I’m back to fighting form. With out squats, it will be difficult, but I feel solid and healthy, and there’s no need to rush anything. Trust me… I won’t do anything stupid in the name of strength ever again… Well… we’ll see…

The gym has been great, as stated. I’ve focused on diet, and I’m actually at that mystical balance of maintaining weight while gaining muscle. It’s a great feeling. What ever gym-bunny dreams of, and what every muscle-magazine totes as a possibility for everyone though it ends up being horribly difficult.

I’ve been sticking to the Paleo diet, keeping my fats, protein and fiber high, while sticking to short, intense, strength work outs, and High Intensity Interval training for cardio. For two months I’ve been at 196, but I’ve been losing fat. I hate to say it on a strength forum, but I’m reaching my goal of “looking better”. After my leave, I’ll hit another cross-fit phase, and blow of the remaining body fat. I’m excited. I’ve never tried this before. It’s working very well, and I have some great support with my work-out partners.

Bending is as it has been for the last few years, just sticking with 60D’s for fun. I have nothing between them and the G5’s, and I just don’t care to sit around and bend 60D’s for volume. Just not feeling it. Then there’s the 7” steel. I have NO leverage on that stuff, and no easy 7” stuff to tune in my form. Disappointing again. Sitting in Afghanistan with two ammo-cans of nails, and nothing to bend. Hence: just bending 60D’s.

The wrist strength training has been really good too. I've been hitting the wrist curls hard, and both my strength and endurance are way up. We ordered an AW table, and it should be in in about a month. I wrist curled the 60's for 10 off a bench, and it feels great to my starting attempt of 30x10 ending with wrist pain. I'm not sure what was wrong, but that weak point is gone, and my forearms feel much better. Aesthetically, the curls really filled out my forearms. It’s been weird. I didn’t think I’d make any more forearm gains. I also read on so many posts that hammer curls are great forearm builders, and never really understood. Due to the two new bulges in my forearms that have never been there before, I’m now a complete believer. Still, the added strength impresses me more.

Afghanistan is growing tiresome. My job and my missions have been awesome and very rewarding, but being alone away from family and wife has been a painful experience. The sacrifice is huge, and one that I’m not sure I want to endure again. I’m thinking about getting out of the Army and starting my civilian career. There is one more job that I would like with in the Army, and it would set me up for what I want to do with the civilian world, so I may be in for a few more years, but the life-term is something I really feel is just not for me.

On the other hand, I get to go home for November. I’m so excited, it’s really beyond words. Besides that, we have 5 more months in country… A whole year here.

I do have to add an update about my meat-head co-worker. I’ve FINALLY converted him to Grip Strength and Squatting! I’m so proud. He works legs with the same intensity he does Arms, and he’s getting almost obsessed with his Super Gripper and Lever Bar. I’m just so proud… Another convert. Ha!

Yup. That’s me. Working hard. Lifting hard. Gripping hard. Eating right and sleeping well. I would say “what else could a guy want?”, but of course all I want is to be with my wife and family.

Great update, bender. I hope you can see your family soon, it must be a huge sacrifice as you say. Just try to make the most out of your time away from them, I mean, look at it this way - you'll come back stronger and better-looking, heh :)

I read your blog yesterday, and really liked it. I live in the caribbean, so ordering York blobs would be hard. But now I want to train with blockweights. What do you think of PDA's loadable Blobette ? It doesn't weight much when empty, so I was thinking of ordering that. I har it's got the same dimensions as the blob 50. I also like the idea of training pinch with the bottom two fingers (together or individually), since as you said, they have the best leverage in gripper closing.

I also checked your experience with the coach, the huge gym, and the IM #3 cert. Great stuff.

Awesome about your wrist curls progress too!!! Keep that up!

Also, since you're doing WC's with dumbells and you're getting into AW, maybe you wanna try "power wrist curls", which is only half the ROM.. from parallel to up! (never letting your wrist getting into a "losing position", or what would be that in armwrestling), in this style you'll be able to do considerably more weight, and could help your AW. Most top AW'ers use the power wrist curls.

Nice to see you're getting fit. It's also hard for me to say it out loud here in a strength forum, but I DO care about the way I look, because earlier this year I was 250lbs of fat, and now I'm around 185 and even with some muscle (not much, 2 months of novice-lifting).. but I'll begin my brute-strength-training soon, even with sqauts! *laughs* .. yeah, everyone mentions squats and deadlifts as such important excercises, and I don't do them. I will include them once I get my Dinosaur Training book and learn more about a strength routine. You shouldn't feel bad about not being able to squat much, just get strong in other areas! :)

You have a good time over there!!

I tried the power wrist curls last night. I could use considerably more weight, but the ROM was so low it really felt odd. I prefer the full ROM, as I feel the muscle working much better. On the other hand, I understand clearly how the power version would help AW. I’ll incorporate them in to my next work out after I max out on the full-rage stuff.

Besides the gym, I’m playing chess, Soduku, Cribbage, and the Rubix Cube. I can intuitively get the 4x4 cube to every thing complete except the last four side’s centers. After that, I’m lost, and my brain starts hurting. I went on-line to figure it out, but none of it seems intuitive at all. Not even a little. So here I sit was a 4x4 cube with 16 squares out of place… Frustrating…

The loadable blob could be a good idea, especially for shipping. That only makes sense. There must be some store near by that sells dumbbells. You can get a 50 for 25 bucks or less. It’s a start.

If you’re going to be squatting soon, a good way to practice is simple body-weight squats. They help your flexibility and will train your nervous system on the movement of squatting.

Personally, I started doing “Tabata” squats.

Do a no-weight squat:

20 seconds for max reps, 10 seconds rest.

Repeat 8 times. It lasts 3min, 50 seconds, and is a heck of a work out.

Your “score” is the least amount of reps you can complete in any of the sets. I’d say 12 is average, but 20 is a good number to shoot for.

It’s also a Metabolic Conditioner, and also trashes the thighs while burning a lot of blood sugar. Worth looking into, in my opinion.

I prefer the full ROM, as I feel the muscle working much better. On the other hand, I understand clearly how the power version would help AW.

That's why I mentioned it, because you said you're interested in AW now.. I agree that if you want a better forearm workout one should do full ROM, of course!

It's called Rubik's cube, there are many pages with solutions. Can you solve a 3x3 cube? .. Also, the cubemasters talk about faces, not squares. They're not squares, most people think a 3x3 cube are 27 squares... no! It's 6 sides with 9 facs each. You have to understand the cube well before you can solve it. And there are algorythms, what comes intuitive with time is knowing which one to use, but not the solve itself, heh.

Do a no-weight squat:

20 seconds for max reps, 10 seconds rest.

It’s also a Metabolic Conditioner, and also trashes the thighs while burning a lot of blood sugar. Worth looking into, in my opinion.

Interesting! I will try that today. I have a feeling I will score very low, probably on the latter sets I'll be just toasted! .. It actually burns blood sugar? Well, for the past few months I don't eat sugar AT ALL... maybe just on sundays, but not during monday-through-saturday, not a single gram, I mean it. I know, it's hard.. but I want to lose the remaining fat that I have... after losing about 60lbs, I might as well finish the job and get to where I want to. I'll let you know how I do on those squats! Do they use this in the military?