Sledge Blog By Ruffhans

ruffhans

ruffhans,

That's really amazing! Congratulations on getting so much success for all your effort.

Question: How long is/was the lever-hammer you used/trained on? How does its length compare to the Heavy Hammer II (Ironmind)? Also, on the Heavy Hammer II, how much difference does the 2" handle make compared to the hammer you used? I guess what I want to know is, if I tried to set a goal along the line of yours (probably less), would it be worth it for me to work out exclusively on the Heavy Hammer, given how long it is & how thick its handle is?

thank you telegraph!

my sledgehammer is 35 inches from bottom of handle to the top of the hammer end. the handle alone is 32 inches. the handle witdth is 1 1/2 inshes by 1 1/4 inches thick. it is a wooden handle and it has an oval shape. from as much as i know all wooden handled hammers have this shape in the handle.

i have never used a Heavy Hammer II, so i dont know how to compare it to a hammer. i did take an empty protien powder jar i had and filled it with cement and added a 2 inch handle for levering/wrist workouts. it wieghs 21 lbs and i can lever it. but it is more easy to lever than my 15 lb sledge beacause it is shorter. so it is a short chunky type tool rather than a long thin tool like a hammer. if i was to make my sledge hammer handle 2 inches thick i do not know if i could lever it. it would make my hand open to much and i think would in turn put to much strain on my wrist. but i will give it a try some day to let you know.

to shoot for the same goal you would have to figure out how many lbs/tork there is when a 15 hammer is bent towords the head or nose and then cross that over to a Heavy Hammer II. that mite be alot of work. by time you cincider the shorter handle on you HH II and all that.

if i had one, i could add wieght untill i thought it was as hard as a 15 lever on a hammer and tell you , but with out a HH II i cant. if you just want to work up to that wieght on your HH II thats fine. if you want to work up to a heavy sledgehammer lever i realy recomend buying a hammer. you can get an 8 lb at walmart for around 8$ and tape wieght to it. and any hardwere store should atleast go up to a 12 lb hammer in stock.

because of the long handle on a sledge it is a better tool i think,..takes more focus to lever it. and is very impressive to people. but to each there own.

i take it you already own a HH II ? if so cool. if not and you are going to buy one i would say dont. you can get two nice hammers for what you will pay for a HH II!

i dont think i have mentioned it before but my apartment is rather small so i cannot lever standing up. i do all my levering while being knealed on the ground. i dont know if this makes it harder or easy'er.

i do know when im knealed on the floor i have to concontrate alot more to lever.

telegraph,...................good luck on the levering . let me know how you do.

ruffhans,

Yes, I do own HH2. Unfortunately I do nowhere near as much levering as you, just working out, grip & wrist curls. But I am curious about the actual sledges & will look into getting one eventually. Also, how do I get ahold of some good weighty magnets to add weight?

Thanks.

magnets i am unsure about on how to get. if you past it as a (?) in the board im sure you will get a good answer fast.

i personal add 2 lb wieghts as i go. i tape them with ducttape. i usualy have to cock my hand up on the handle a bit and work back down from there.

ok back to my training,..

well i havnt done anything in a few days exept levering. i got back sunday from a 14 mile hike in snow so i took a few days to recover for strength.

i think i may put the phonebook goal on hold and just concontrate on the balls, and levering. i have a 16 lb hammer comeimg next tues. so i will be hellbent on levering that. and at 15 lbs now im sure it wont be to far along.

forearms are getting a lill bigger, i stil have to measure them.

the balls you ask,..how are my balls? well they are doing just fine! i have plans to make those 20 lb 5 inch wide ones soon.

i leverd my 15 lb hammer last night for a friend,..it always seems so much easy'r when someone is watching. must be the focus. if i get the 16, and i will, i wanna see just how far i can go. maybee 17lbs? maybee someday even 20lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wel, my training is at a standstill for awhile. i have had some personal things that have needed all of my focus. but i did however buy a 16 lb hammer! it is a lill over an inch longer than my others so this makes it very hard.

i am amazed to see what a great workout you can get by useing it other ways like doing curls and stuff with it.

i have had it only a week and have done only two workouts with it but it did help my 15 lb alot. before i could lever the 15 lbs very strict but had a hard time with doing it while my arm was on a table. today i was able to do it while having my arm on a table pretty easy. i also am getting more power in my wrists. i can feel it. im guessing in a month or so i wil have the 16 lber for one good strict rep.

i seem to gain strength fast with levering im not sure why.