Books And Dvds

Starkmann

Starkmann: "The Ronin" ..."a novel based on zen myth"(not the movie or

Frank Miller's comic novel) would be of great value to those who fight or

take their strength training seriously

Interesting choice Kim I've not read that one. Here is a review from some spare on the internet, is he a pansy arse or is it accurate?

:...It is hard to know what to make of The Ronin. Whether running his steel through an aged monk, dividing a young swordsman head to toe, hanging a peasant girl from the ceiling by her hair and subjecting her to humiliation until she begs for sex, or repeatedly raping a noblewoman until she falls in love with his overwhelming manhood, the Ronin's exploits are told with a bizarre mixture of relish and cool Zen detachment. This admiration for such uncompromising brutality coupled with the sense that, in this floating world, suffering is ultimately illusory, is unsettling. Although Jennings claims this tale is one of those legends 'containing everything it is necessary to know', it strikes me that this book not only contains much that is unnecessary to know, but also that it may omit a great deal that is necessary. While this strange, occasionally elegant, and frequently bloodthirsty book has the air of a work of great wisdom and profundity, I suspect it is merely Samurai swagger. Bloodshed is bloodshed – and no amount of faux-Zen paradox-mongering can change that....."

Kim - any other books that you think strength trainers etc might find of value like this one that are not what might be consided as training books per se and might be overlooked. I know John is always quoting different sources he has read that he finds little gems in. You two could do us a real service with a short list of things you have found of value or just enjoyed.

dub': zen myths, like life are not for the faint-hearted (a C+ review...

somehow the reviewer missed the Ronin's journey...the process of

transcendence and change)

C-511: anything by or about Harry Houdini is very valuable to the serious

strength-man. Available in the cheapie bins(and the inter-net) is David Blaine's "Mysterious Stranger" ...Blaine not only has lots to say about Houdini but his training

and mental focus have great positive implications for serious strength trainers...

Thanks Kim - I'm now on the search.

the book of 5 rings

by musashi

a must read

sun-tzu ping fa (sun tzu the art of war)

free translation:"the art of war"

if you haven't read this andyour opponent has?-you are one step behind

less cerebral,but interesting

---brother iron sister steel-- by dave draper

inside the lions den--ken shamrock

id recomend Big Steve's two DVD's. full of good stuff from grippers to big rocks.i dont think you can go wrong by havin them.

Does anyone have the Strongman Super-Series DVD from Ironmind? I've been eyeing that one too. Seems like a good one to have going on the TV while you are lifting.

the mail-man just came up the walk(the newly shoveled walk) and handed me

a package from Laree and Dave Draper! It's a copy of Dave's new book,

"IRON ON MY MIND"...I've been thumbing through it for the last twenty minutes...

it looks like a really good book... If you liked Dave's other books(and why wouldn't you...) you'll want to add "IRON ON MY MIND" to your list...

Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver Eating Johnson. The guys real name is Jeremiah Johnson but the actual Johnson was nothing like the goofy character Redford played.

hmmm, a lot of good stuff in there. I'm thinking about Rock, Iron, Steel; Dinosaur training; Big Steve's DVDs and Slim the Hammerman.

I didn't actually go through and count votes but I think those fit my training needs the most right now. Besides, I need some new grippers so I'll order some of them from Iron Mind at the same time. I think I'll write the rest of them down and try to pick them up inthe next couple years.

I have read The Book of Five Rings and Art of War. ronin sounds interesting although it may be a tough one to read. Sounds intense.

Thanks for all the input.

A book thats making a splash in certain areas...beyond bodybuilding by pavel tsatsouline, find it at dragondoor.com for more info

verdi

Scott Styles i have seen the strongman super series. It is a great dvd. I think i has 5 or 6 contests. It starts in hawaii then ends up at the end in the arnold classic.

The TPS strongman training video series.  Excellent break down of many of the core events in the sport of strongman.

On Killing by Dave Grossman, nothing to do with strength sports but a good book nonetheless.

The Weightlifting Encyclopedia by Arthur J. Dreschler is one of the books for Oly stuff.

Hmmm...

Matt I think that was a bit of an understament about the Weighlifting Encyclopedia. Its the BEST book regarding extensive coverage on the olifts as a whole, and goes down to such a fine grain level that you can start performing the lifts and correcting yourself ( as much as possible) without much else. Well IMHO

ahem... yes highly recommend this one too

Books:

The Spiritual Journey of Joseph Greenstein

Dinosaur Training

Relax into Stretch by Pavel

DVD's

Slim the Hammerman

336lbs of Fury

Relax into Stretch by Pavel

This is what I want to ask about. I am going to order "Stretching" by Andersen from IronMind. But is this book by Pavel T. noticeably better or different? (It costs twice as much, at least.)

Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to get both Andersen's "Stretching" book and Pavel T.'s "Relax into Stretch" book?

I haven't seen pavels, but Andersen's is a basic streach book. I'd check your local library, mine has it.....

I have never been disappointed with Pavel's products, even though they are a bit pricey. As others have said, you can't put a price on knowledge, and to be honest I've learned a lot more from Pavel than just training.

I have both Relax into Stretch and Beyond Building. I haven't finished BB yet, but RIS is really good. What I've seen so far in BB I do like though.

Relax into stretch is great, I havent read andersons so I dont know how they weight up. Another good stretching book/dvd is Stretching scientifically by Oh I cant remember the name, but its a well known work, maybe you have it already. I have read both the book and had the video to it years ago, and I still think Pavels is superior, though similar in many ways, like using the tense-relax method of increasing ROM.