How's April 1st For The Show Of Hands Grip Cup?

EricMilfeld

I will be there, Guaranteed :rock

I can't wait to meet everybody

Thanks to John for sponsoring the comp.

\\m//

Edited by com202

I'm getting excited, even though this is week 3 with no training due to tendinitis in my wrists. I'll still give it heck on April 1.

We still have a full crew coming?

Benzilla

Opensysme

Thorfin

Eric

Me

Strongmitts said he would come judge if we want him too.

Who else is a confirmed show? Clay, have we convinced you to come?

Eric, we need to go visit the gym. Maybe some evening next week?

W

I had to pull out of the MGC due to VERY unfortunte work circumstances lately. Might have to do the same with this wonderful contest and it saddens me because it sounds like it's going to be nothing short of spectacular!

I'll try to give you guys as much notice as I can. I thought it was a done deal that I'd be able to attend, but as I've been reminded half a dozen times this year, "you are NEVER off duty." :(

"you are NEVER off duty." :(

Ain't that the truth.

I hope everything works out so you can come.

Stay Safe and keep the 10-15s in line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eric, Count me in!!! Looking forward to meeting you Grippers and Bastards!!! :D

Hi Eric, Count me in!!! Looking forward to meeting you Grippers and Bastards!!! :D

Fantastic! Go ahead and "sign up" by posting in the pinned topic above. What's your real name?

At Mikael's request I'm posting a calibration list of all the plates, as well as the pinch and v-bar equipment. These were weighed at the Jack D. Watson Post Office in Ft. Worth. The scale was accurate to within 1/10th of an ounce. Plates closest to the nominal value will be loaded first during the contest. The 35s and 45s will not be used for the pinch event.

2.5 lb.

5 lb.

10 lb.

25 lb.

35 lb.

45 lb.

Entire Pinch Apparatus (including loading pipe, two sets of collars, and the Euro pinch with all of the rubber discs)

- 6mm rubber discs: 1.95 and 1.97

Euro V-bar (including PVC spacer pipe placed on center at base of bar to prevent olympic sized plates from shifting)

Well done Eric!

We've found it invaluable having calibrated discs to actually train with so as we can balance each side of the bar up with similar discs.

David

We've found it invaluable having calibrated discs to actually train with so as we can balance each side of the bar up with similar discs.

David

Good point, David. This is all bad for me, though. Cuz now I'm gonna be fussin' over exactly how much weight I'm lifting: "Was that 273.46 I just lifted, or was it 276.02?"

But this is really something I wish I had done years ago.

Hi, my name is Paul, and I live in Irving, TX. This is my first post ... I just became a member today.

I am interested in competing, just to have some fun and some good learning experiences. I started training the Rolling Thunder and pinch grip a few months ago, and grippers about 7 or 8 months ago (but I've been slacking off on the grippers).

But I have never done the V-bar lift, and I have never bent stuff, and I have never tried the thickbar deadlift. So far, I can pinch grip a 25lb plate and a 35lb plate together, I am up to 150lbs on the Rolling Thunder, and I am very close to closing the #2 gripper. I also do 3" wide PVC pipe holds sometimes, too. That's about all I train right now. I do all of the grip stuff to mostly for my grappling (bjj and wrestling), but I'd still be interested in being in the competition (and getting destroyed :tongue ).

Well guys I would like to attend as I have never attended a grip meet...but texas (no matter which part) is quite a ways from Ga....Good luck to you all and maybe I can find something a bit closer to compete in next time!

Intresting, it seems most of the plates weigh over the weight they are supposed to be.

It all depends on the brand. Some tend to be heavier than the nominal weight whereas others are lighter. In my experience it is somewhat more common for plates to be lighter than their nominal weight. I have, however, come across 20k plates that weighed 22k.

I have York plates that weighed from 18.7 to 21.8 kilo. I always wondered how sometimes the bar felt lop-sided when lifting, especially if we had a couple of 'lights' on one side, and 'heavies' on the other!

David

I'm really pretty pleased with how accurately these rather inexpensive Chinese made plates calibrated. All but four of the 10s, two of the 25s, and both 35s I purchased from Weightlifter's Warehouse back in 1989. I was living in California at the time and remember driving up to Long Beach in my blue 1976 F-250 to pick up the plates and a bench press, like it was last week. That, along with my homemade wooden squat racks and an Oklahoma Deadlift Bar, was the start of my garage gym. The only thing written on the plates from W. Warehouse, other than the weight, is "BARBELL". Now I want to scale out my bar and the four 100 pound plates.