Variety And Continuity

Grh122

This is some background - I'll add occasional workouts and my overall plan in future posts.

I got serious about strength training and grip training two years ago. I built a foundation for focused strength training by building up my cardio fitness, via running, hiking on hills with a weighted backpack, and bodyweight Hindu squats. I also tried things such as car pushing, hunting for stones and carrying them for distance and other exercises that built strength and cardio at the same time.

I have done casual weightlifting over a number of years (approx. 11), mainly emphasizing overhead press and deadlift (using heavy dumbbells). This helped build a base for deadlifting and within the last year or two I was able to move forward from deadlifting in the low 300's to a 1 rep max of 380.

I purchased an Ivanko Supergripper sometime in 2003 or 2004, and some CoCs (#1 and #2) in late 2004/early 2005. I have been bending for approximately one year.

I am now focused primarily on strength (vs. endurance or cardio), although I am attempting to maintain my current level of cardio fitness.

Variety of exercises has been a very effective approach for me, however, at this point I think I have enough variety and it is time to emphasize continuity and persistence. For example, I want to be consistent in performing overhead press and squats two to three times a week for the next three months. At that point I'll finish up the cycle and change my routine.

Stats:

Accomplishments:

My strongest areas so far have been deadlift and bending. I have also made some surprisingly quick gains with weighted dips, despite the fact that I'm not especially good at bench press. I think switching to a more parallel grip made a big difference. To date:

- deadlift: 380

- squat: 325

- pullups: 11 or 12, 1 x bodyweight + 55

- overhead press (strict) 145 x 3

- dips: 1 x bodyweight + 90

- CoC #2 closed, left and right

- bending: grade 5 bolt 5.5 (3 minutes, using IM pads, I hope to GB cert soon, getting down to 2 minutes)

- cards: tore a full "made in China" deck from the Dollar store

- block weights: 35 lbs. (half of a 70)

- Rolling Thunder: 146 lbs. (plates = 140, RT + loading pin = 6)

Goals:

- bending: Red nail

- grippers: BB SuperMaster, left and right

- squat: 375 past parallel

- deadlift: 425

- strict overhead press: 175 lbs. x 1

- weighted pullups: bodyweight + 80 lbs. x 1

- (cardio) - 300 Hindu squats non-stop

My Top Ten Exercises and Techniques

These are exercises and/or techniques that have been especially effective for me.

1) Constant practice with multiple bending styles with a wide variety of bending stock: double overhand at waist/stomach level, reverse grip both left and right hand bracing, double underhand, alternating grip at chest level (with longer bars, e.g. 8 to 14 inches), high double overhand. I try not to run myself into the ground with any one style. Overall, this allows me to push my hands/wrists farther than I would have thought possible.

2) Additional wrist and forearm work that is less-intense, when not bending, especially: medium to high rep sets of reverse wrist curls, lots of sets with the GripStik. I do these exercises for hypertrophy, and to keep my hands, wrists and forearms active so that the tendons can recover and get stronger. (I also do some levering with sledge hammers).

3) Heavy barbell finger rolls in a power rack (off the pins at waist level). Weight > bodyweight. I have just started this exercise but I feel that it is especially important for me since I have a hard time getting my fingers stronger.

4) Breathing exercises as practiced by the Mighty Atom (chest expansion).

5) Neck bridging (mainly rear bridging). Occasionally I try bending while in a neck bridge.

6) Using a headstrap/neck harness to add weight for weighted pullups and weighted dips.

7) Weighted situps while sitting/lying on a dense piece of foam that is about 7 or 8 inches high (and approx. 2' x 2' square). This allows for a greater range of motion (going back as my head touches the floor), and reduces stress on the back.

8) Card tearing for finger, hand and wrist strength. I do this alternating the hand that is used for bracing.

9) Horsehoe pulling/twisting as a way to use the hands/wrists/arms in conjunction with the muscles of the upper back (I view this as the opposite (in the push/pull sense) of high DO bending which uses the upper chest). I currently use several pipes to add leverage.

10) Training on multiple consecutive days, hitting the same body part at a different angle or with a different exercise, using a different rep range. E.g. high intensity bending on Monday, multiple high-rep sets of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls on Tuesday, grippers on Wednesday. I respond well to every-day training at moderate volume.

What kinds of grip training do you work on?

How often?

It would seem that after two years you should have that supermaster.

Good solid numbers on those lifts.

How often?

I do a wide range of grip exercises, but without enough discipline and planning ... You're right, the supermaster should be closer, I would have figured that too, but crush is my weakest area. I am stronger at things like card tearing (with the hands a bit more open, but close to crush).

My plan is to continue building a base for another month or two with an all-around program, and then try KTA. "Building a base" includes: reverse wrist curls, block weight training, thumb pad training.

I've focused on wrist strength for a number of months now and that effort has paid off (grade 5 5.5 bend, card tearing, some good numbers in wrist curls and reverse wrist curls).

Time to crush!

Today is squat day. I'll be attempting 225 for 20 reps, followed by seated overhead press.

I'm on vacation, this morning I had some extra time so I did a few fun things, but without any set goals, just to slowly build some more wrist and hand strength:

- card tearing: started a full deck of Rite Aid cards (plastic coated, standard U.S. Playing Card company drug store variety). Dropped 12 cards and did a partial tear with 40 cards. I'll finish it in another session. Dropped a few cards on the outside that tore first. My tearing felt much stronger today than it ever had in the past. My hold on the cards is solid and I'm using my wrist strength to apply the torque motion. Little or no hand pain.

- barbell finger rolls - one set of 6 with 160 lbs. I wanted to drop way down in weight from last week (225) to get my form right as I get started on these. I plan to do these twice a week for at least a month. This was only my second session with finger rolls. My right index finger is still bothering me from DO bending, and this was the limiting factor.

- bending: alternating grip with some 11" or 12" pre-kinked drill rod stock from McMaster-Carr. Bent them both easily and stopped so I can cut them in half and use that stock for short bends

- bending: crush-down of a grade 5 6" that was at 90 degrees. Had bent it several weeks ago on a "weak day", just needed to finish it off. Crush-down of a very off-center grade 5 5.5", that was just above 90 degrees. Moved it to under 90 degrees. No reason to go further today since I'm trying to get my right anterior deltoid back to 100%. Not a serious injury, just a bit of over-use, also from high DO bending during last several weeks

- alternating grip isometrics on a 3/8" rod that is approx. 15" long and pre-bent to ~70. These always feel good and they hit the pectorals in a different way than DO with shorter stock; they are also effective for triceps and biceps.

- horseshoe pulling on a 00 shoe that I bought at the Farm store. Used a 3/4" by 4" and a 3/4" by 5" pipe, one on each end. Isometrics at head/neck level, gripping first one way, then the other. This works the traps and neck and forearms. With pipes on the ends it does not do much for grip strength.

How often?

I do a wide range of grip exercises, but without enough discipline and planning ... You're right, the supermaster should be closer, I would have figured that too, but crush is my weakest area. I am stronger at things like card tearing (with the hands a bit more open, but close to crush).

My plan is to continue building a base for another month or two with an all-around program, and then try KTA. "Building a base" includes: reverse wrist curls, block weight training, thumb pad training.

Sound like a good idea to me! Have fun with your training, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Afternoon workout:

- Squats: 225 x 20 (PR!). I did plenty of warmup, including a lot of breathing exercises. I maintained good form throughout which is important since I'm about two months out from a minor but aggravating pull in my lower back, from deadlifts. Wide stance, more of a powerlifting squat, deep (below parallel) on each rep.

- Good Mornings: 175 x 8. This is the first time I've done these using my power rack. They felt good and next time I'll attempt to go up in weight or reps. I did these in place of overhead press since I wanted to continue to work on my back (mainly the spinal erector muscles).

- seated tricep exercises (extensions?) (not sure what to call these). I have an upright bench for seated military press, I used 2 25 lb. dumbbells and did 12 reps of lowering the dumbbells behind my head and raising them using my triceps. This was in place of dumbbell pullovers as recommended in Super Squats, as a chest expansion breathing exercise.

- squats - Olympic style, very deep: 175 x 12 - this was to continue to work my back, and to stretch as recovery from the 20-rep set

Evening workout:

- Bending: Grade 5 6" bolt (slightly pre-kinked) - bent it to under 2", not too hard

- Grade 5 5.5" bolt (straight) - bent it to under 2" in 15 seconds flat, using IM blue pads. (PR!)

- Grade 8 6" - lots of isometrics, put a really noticeable warp in it, but couldn't take it down

Hey, getting close on that G8! Try a couple workouts with lots of G5 volume, bend as many as you possibly can, then try the G8 again.

Wednesday and Thursday

Variety

Two days of experimentation and non-directed training: Lots of bending, grippers, and horseshoe pulling. I'm trying to determine why my right hand feels weak on grippers, when it is my stronger hand for other tasks. I finally realized that the crush motion involves a tighter crush than with the left due to the way the spring is aligned with the hand. I practiced some right-hand closes (from a set, and then with a choker) and felt stronger as I pulled my fingers in more.

Bending: several PRs with reverse grip: Wednesday: full bend of a blue nail using reverse grip only and some very soft leather for padding. The soft leather made the crush-down difficult. Then I kinked (about 10 or 15 degrees) a medium-tough 60d using reverse grip, right-hand bracing (farther away from body, it actually does more of the bending than my left). Thursday: put a significant warp in a grade 5 bolt using the same reverse grip.

Grippers: Now that I have taken things further with my understanding of right-hand gripper closing, I am ready to proceed with discipline and a plan.

Friday

Continuity

Back to my 20-rep squat plan:

Warmups: extensive warmup session at least an hour before squatting, mainly emphasizing breathing exercises

Neck: front neck work with IM harness: 37 lbs. on loading pin, lying on back on a bed crosswise, raising head to above parallel. Several sets of ~5 reps.

Neck: back neck work with IM harness: 82 lbs. on loading pin: hands on knees, more or less full-motion from head in down position to head in upright position - 3 reps (did several sets over the course of the workout)

Squats: 235 x 17 reps. Emphasis on breathing (4 or 5 deep breaths between reps after 10 reps). Form was good until very last rep, I seemed to have a small left-right imbalance on that rep.

Tricep extensions: 2 sets of 10 reps each on seated military press bench, behind head/neck. Weight - one 25 lb. fixed-weight dumbbell and one dumbbell of 29 lbs. (switched hands after first set)

Good mornings - 220 lbs x several reps. Weight was too heavy, will go down to about 185 next time since I need to work out proper form on this lift.

Overhead press (seated): worked on getting things set up in my power rack. Front - 120 x ? (lost track). Rear: 2 sets of 120 x 3. These are harder than standing overhead press so far.

Bending Update I'm taking some time off after my grade 5 5.5" GB cert so that my right index finger can recover. Not too bad, but it's not at 100%. (This didn't stop me from trying a few DO attempts on a grade 8 last night after I got a box of suede leather from Tandy leather - No PRs, and ouch!)

Monday and Tuesday: Undirected workouts throughout the day: horseshoe pulling, bending, grippers, and card tearing. Neck work: sides of the neck using front and side neck bridging. Later some rear neck bridging. Also handstand pushups from down position, not against a wall (8 or 9 attempts). I started in a headstand position on some books, was able to push up on two separate attempts into a handstand, but can't hold it since I lose balance at this point. Also "climbing" on two vertical poles that are part of a community park swingset (very good workout for forearms, biceps and back). I didn't push it since I was already worn out from the handstand pushups, but next time I will focus on this more.

PRs:

- bent a horseshoe - used, looks like a St. Croix Forge '0'. Started it with pipes but found it just easy enough (stopped about 15 degrees along), switched to IM blue pads which worked well. Pulled with right-hand on left thigh, then switched to pushing rearward with right hand on right thigh (left hand bracing). The key was finding a horseshoe that was just within my limits. I have only come across one other horseshoe that was easier than this one, haven't done that one yet, so this is my first horseshoe (with a bit of help from the pipes, and it is not fully twisted out, but close).

- tore a deck of Aviators: this was not pretty, started with the full deck in an unopened box, tossed the box, started the tear on all 56 cards (+ or - a few, whatever a new deck has). My strong point is wrists, weak point is crush, so lost a lot of cards along the way, but each half of the deck had 44 cards when done.

Wednesday:

AM workout:

- some pushups, situps, Hindu pushups, pullups (10 with wide pronated grip, new PR), hanging leg raises (15 reps, hanging from my doorway chin-up bar with hands parallel and chin on bar). This is a very effective exercise for the core, it is similar to pikes on the Power Wheel. This also works the front of the neck: I use my chin to significantly lower the amount of weight that my hands and arms are holding.

Afternoon/Evening workout:

- rear military: 120 lbs. x 5 (1 set only, prior to my workout)

- warmups for squats - jogged in place, free squats, walked, etc.

- 20 rep squats - 237 1/2 lbs. x 20 (this went well, good progress from my last workout)

- 2 pullups

- 10 rep squats - 237 1/2 lbs - to continue working my thighs and lower back now that they were totally warmed up

- several more pullups

- dips - BW + 85 x 1 (2 sets). Used my IM headstrap harness for all 85 lbs + pin, this felt good, failed on second rep due to triceps/chest, neck is strong

- wrist roller - 2" BB roller at head hight supported on an old bar in power rack - 85 lbs. x 1 roll-up. Will go up to 90 lbs. next time

- sand blasting - right hand, then left, good pump, approx. 45 seconds each hand

i know i msg'd you, but i must public post that these are some of the coolest workouts i've seen.. pullups with weight on a neck harness.. dips with neck harness.. bridges.. breathing squats.. bending..

great stuff..

peace and congrats on that 237 x 20

i know i msg'd you, but i must public post that these are some of the coolest workouts i've seen.. pullups with weight on a neck harness.. dips with neck harness.. bridges.. breathing squats.. bending..

great stuff..

peace and congrats on that 237 x 20

Thanks, that neck harness has added a whole new dimension to my workouts, as has the power rack. More neck work to come ...

Thursday: Neck specialization

I like everyday training, but have recently decided that I am running myself into the ground with too much hand, wrist and forearm training. I have found that neck work is another area (like grip) that allows for high volume and relatively high intensity. So today I took off from grip/wrist work entirely and just did neck work.

Long bar bending

- 1/2" x 3' bar, bending isometrics with bar behind neck (pulling towards front), and with bar on front of neck (pulling to rear). I have another identical bar that I have been using for rear neck work like this and have moved it approx. 35 degrees. This one is a new bar, didn't bend it today yet. Also some attempts at bending using each side of my neck, but didn't feel as strong this way.

- 3/8" x 28" bar, bending isometrics downward holding bar with teeth. This works the rear of the neck in a different way, not to mention the jaw .... I had started out with the full 3' bar but found it too easy so I cut 8" off and tried it again. I'll do isometrics with it until it starts to bend.

Rear neck bridging

Brief, picked up a barbell loaded to 60 lbs. while the top of my head was flat on the floor. My goal is to do this amount of weight in a full neck bridge (much farther over, with nose touching ground)

Side neck work

I have a day bed with a very firm mattress that I use for this: I started with 20 lbs. and found this too easy, progressed to:

- 27 and 1/2 lbs.: approx. 30 reps right, 30 reps left, followed by 15 reps for front of neck (lying flat on back sideways on bed with my head hanging off the side). I used a 20 lb. standard plate and a 7 and 1/2 lb. plate together, wrapped in a towel

- 32 and 1/2 lbs.: 25 reps right side, 23 reps left side.

Observations

Front neck: The best exercises I have found so far are plate lifting (lying on bed, using forehead), for 10 to 25 reps; long bar bending/isometrics using front of neck; bar hanging on a pullup bar from chin (with hands adding some support, I can't do this without hands - yet ...), and front neck bridging.

Side neck: My preferred exercise for now is plate lifting (30 to 40 lb. range), in the range of 10 to 30 reps. I am not yet strong enough to do front to side neck bridging

Rear neck: Preferred exercises in order: neck harness lifts; rear neck bridging; bar bending/isometrics

Edited by Grh122

Friday

Afternoon: Lower Arm Workout

Warmup

- rear neck bridging (stretching only) - 4 x 20 to 30 seconds

- weighted situps - BW + 20 x 7

Training

- reverse barbell wrist curls - 70 x 7 (not entirely strict - some swing)

- Twist Yo Wrist - 25 x 1, 35 x 1 (almost to top)

- sledge levering (8 lb. sledge) - inward towards opposite side - right: 5 reps, left: 5 reps

- wrist roller (Beef Builder 2", at chin height supported on a bar in power rack) - 90 lbs. x 1, 100 x 1

- dumbbell reverse wrist curls - left: 29 x 8 (some assistance with right), right: 29 x 14 (shoulder gave out before forearm for some odd reason)

- dumbbell wrist curls (thick-handled, approx. 1 and 3/8") - right: 74 lbs. x 6, left: 74 x 9.5 (last was a partial rep)

- two-hand pinch (2 35 lb. Oly plates with a bolt through the center to hold additional std plates) - 125 lbs. 5 attempts, 2 or 3 times got it off the floor slightly

- barbell wrist curls: 110 lbs. x 4 (haven't done these in a while, but didn't feel good at this point after all the other work) (my previous best is approx. 100 lbs. x 11)

Other (I might not have a chance to do my second squat workout this week, so I did some good mornings instead)

- good mornings: 185 x 5, 185 x 10. Finally got form down on this which allowed me to properly target my back

Evening: Bending Workout

- approx. 1 hour of high DO bending isometrics. Worked on form.

Edited by Grh122

An hour of bending isometrics? I think you would serve your form better by doing many bends with easy steel, emphasizing form.

Maybe something I should do more often, but I seem to get a lot out of isometrics, actually I did crush down of a 90 degree grade 5 5.5 during that time, so not all isometrics. I am working on getting stronger at pulling upwards - arms and shoulders to get my hands into a position where the leverage is greater, so this part is actually not isometrics either, come to think of it, more breathing and pulling up with arms/shoulders.

The problem with easier steel is that I don't need to use as good technique to get the job done, and, 6" 60ds and grade 5's are a length that I'm good at; shooting for the red nail so trying to get used to the strength factors involved with 7" steel.

Saturday

Light workout day:

- low double overhand bending practice with .234 steel. Several tries with sub-7" pieces

- a bit of sledge hammer levering - 6 lb. sledge off floor in front, right and then left

- blob lifting: PDA Blobette loaded to 30 lbs. Many attempts left and right. Lifted it off the ground a few times left, none right. This is a PR since previously it had only been loaded to 26 lbs.

Over the weekend

No workouts but two interesting PRs while fiddling with stuff:

- bent a grade 8 6" bolt that I had pre-kinked to about 40 degrees. Got it easily (both sweep and crush) and under 2" at the finish. I definitely need to focus on the kink now, since this is the second time I have done the sweep and crush for a grade 8

- appeared to close my 2005 #2 with a moderate set. I can close an older #2 regularly but this newer #2 is a lot tougher. First time I've closed it, couldn't feel it touch but according to a witness it was there.

Monday

Cardio

- warmup

- 4 minute medley with several minutes rest between each minute - 1 minute jump rope with a weighted jump rope; 1 minute hindu squats (x40); 1 minute jumping jacks holding a 2 and 1/2 lb. std plate in each hand (x60); 1 minute toe touches holding a 10 lb. plate (x30)

- 4 minutes jogging in place and some free squats, along with some jumping from a down squat position

Hand workout

- warmup: lots of light-weight wrist and reverse wrist curls with 12 lb. dumbbells; one or two sessions with the Gripstik

- strap hold using 10 lb. plate, a strap that I borrowed from my Ironmind head harness, and an IM #1 - right hand: 18 count. (left hand: none, due to some elbow tendinitis)

- isometrics: potato squeezing (left: 7 seconds), right: a few seconds

- cable pulling: index fingers from floor (standing on a Lifeline chest expander single cable / blue resistance level) - approx. 7 seconds for each left and right index fingers

- some finger bending using .234 steel: I tried to hold with only the index finger of one hand and pull with the fingers and thumb of the other hand. Worked each hand. I'm trying to build up my index finger strength since I view this as my weakest area for double overhand bending.

Miscellaneous

- teeth/jaw lift: 90 lbs. x 1 (stood up from a squat position). I used an Olympic loading pin with the 90 lbs., a piece of nylon from my neck harness, and a piece of rope which were looped around the two ends of a red nail. Covered the nail with a wash cloth. This worked well and allowed me to focus on the lifting, which works the rear neck muscles in a good way.

- some long bar bending with teeth/jaw - actually bent the 28" 3/8" bar by several degrees

- neck deadlift using harness: 144 x 5 reps. Stood up from a down squat position. I keep my neck straight during the entire lift.

- handstand pushup / hold against wall (one rep and a hold) I think I can do about 10 reps off the floor when balanced against a wall, I will probably do this next time

Gripper Workout

My earlier hand workout was too brief, and I'm better at grippers later in the day. Took it easy on left hand due to elbow tendonitis.

Grippers

RB 210 N: right:

- attempted closes in a PDA choker collar (assisted) - 4 reps

- assisted negative - 1 7 sec. rep

BB Super Advanced: right:

- full reps, holding the gripper closed at each close - 6 reps

IM #2 in choker: right:

- attempts (1 or 2 closes) - 4 attempts

IM #2: left:

- assisted reps - 5 reps

Other

- fingertip pushups - 7

Tuesday and Wednesday

- horseshoe pulling: bent a new '0 with pipes (new PR, had not been able to get that one before even with the pipes, very hard steel); worked on a used one and made some progress using only one pipe and IM cordura padding on the other side.

- DO bending: practicing form for kink: kinked 2 grade 5 6" bolts to approx. 80 degrees. I stopped at this point since I'm working on the kink only, crush-down from 70 degrees on is easy for me with grade 5 6" and 5.5". Isometrics with various other pieces: 6" grade 8, 5.5" grade 8 (thought I might get it since I'm better at shorter stock), pre-kinked red nail. Moved the red nail about 1 degree ...

- seated overhead press:

- 120 x 5 (rear)

- 120 x 8 (front)

- 130 x 6 (front)

- 130 x 5 (front)

I finished with one set of overhead dumbbell presses, left arm only (my weaker arm) - 29 lbs. x 20 reps.

I need to take a break from bending and horseshoes until at least Saturday, tomorrow is squats/lower back work, pullups (or bent-over rowing), shrugs, and pinch lifting (blob and 2-hand pinch).

Edited by Grh122

All your bending workouts are pretty low volume, two or three bars. Try a few weeks of high volume on G5's, work up to 10-15, and I think you will be more than ready for the G8.

It doesn't seem to matter too much at this point however, the hardest parts of the G8 are the sweep and crush and from the sounds of it you are all over that.

(several workouts to report, I'll combine things into a summary)

Partial squats and full squats

- 420 x several (partial)

- 335 x 3 (full)

- 325 x 4 (full)

Next workout I am going to rig up a way to make sure I'm getting past parallel

Rack pull

- 500 x 10 second count, alternating grip

Partial deadlifts

420 x several, worked my way up to a wider range of motion by standing on wooden planks and adjusting the power rack's pins and rails

Standing broad jump

- two sessions, 4 to 5 attempts each. 8' 1" consistently. (my height = 5' 9", weight = 194 lbs.)

Bending

(impromptu bending session after teaching bending technique to someone)

- 60D x 1: using reverse grip (reverse grip PR)

- Grade 5 6" x 1: reverse grip (also a reverse grip PR)

- Grade 5 5.5" x 1: DO (this was a cut-down "diamond-head" brand; it was significantly harder than the other brand of grade 5 5.5's that I have with a triangle on the head)

Gripper Workouts

(several workouts, some that also involved sledge levering and wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, and some extensor work. I also did some individual finger work with a Lifeline USA blue cable)

My left hand workouts are limited due to some elbow tendonitis.

- BB Super Advanced: 13 to 15 full reps (right only)

- #2 attempted closes and choker closes

- RB 240N: Right: attempted closes

- BB Supermaster: Right: attempted closes and choker close (under 1 cm.)

Bending isometrics

- grade 8 5.5" (cut-down from 6") (pre-kinked to 20 degrees). Numerous DO attempts

- grade 8 6" - several DO attempts

- red nail (pre-kinked to 80 degrees) several DO attempts

I can see results from both types of workouts: isometrics on harder steel, and volume with grade 5s and lower. So far I've only done very light volume so I'll step this up next time.

Goals for next workouts:

- bending: volume session with grade 5 6" and 5.5s

- grippers: a more disciplined approach where I write down exactly what I've done: reps, TNS and CC set and set attempts (how close), overcrushes and holds, negatives (how long), strap-holds (time), etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I skipped recording quite a few workouts over the last several weeks. I am doing a wide variety of exercises to strengthen my forearms to assist my high DO bending, and have started using a TUG #5 and a couple of other exercises to strengthen my index and middle fingers, also for bending.

I am still on a quest for the Grade 8 bolt, but I am taking the slow approach so as to avoid injuries. Currently I am fighting some tendonitis in my left arm; it feels like it needs a couple more days recovery time. I also have a mild muscle pull on the right side in the middle of my back (near the right lat), which I think will go away soon. It is from bending. I am not in a hurry to reach my next bending goal.

Still very little real progress with grippers but the TUG #5 has given me a boost with hand strength and I'm hopeful that specialization will push me forward from this plateau. The strange thing is that my hands both look and feel much stronger than they did six months ago. This doesn't seem to help me close the next gripper however ... The other day I tried doing plate wrist curls and ended up settling on using 22 and 1/2 lbs. (2 10 lb. Olympic plates and one 2 and 1/2 plate, tied together with a nylon belt). I did somewhere in the range of 7 to 10 reps left and right; this seemed like the right amount of weight to use since a standard 25 lb. plate was too hard. This very effectively targets my weakest area which is my fingers.

20-rep squats: worked up to 240 x 20 two weeks ago: felt great. Deep and very good form too.

I am currently focusing a lot on neck work, and core work. Inspired by a somewhat obscure strength legend named Maxick ...

Today:

Neck work:

Teeth lift: 100 lbs. x 1

Side neck work: I set up an apparatus consisting of 2 25 lb. plates to work the front and sides of my neck. I do this by lying sideways across a day bed (it has solid wood rails on the sides and a firm mattress which make it very similar to a bench). I had done 40 x 10 or 15 reps the other day, next workout will be with the 50 lbs. front and sides.

Rear neck bridge barbell lifting:

- 40 lbs. raised overhead and pushed myself into a bridge position (onto the top of my head). This is very difficult since the hands are holding the barbell on an arms extended position above the chest.

- 75 lbs. chest press from bridge position (following a pullover of the barbell from the floor)

Ab work

- elevated situps (sitting/lying on a piece of foam that is approx. 7" high off the floor, this allows for a greater range of motion) - 27 reps with hands behind head