George Jowett feat?

Guest Jeff Roark

David,

Mr. America/All American Athlete magazine in September

1967 in an article by Mac Batchelor, the caption of the photo

of GFJ in shirt with tie and the anvil at the shoulder in

preparation for the press (supposedly) has this caption:

"The massive hands, 8-3/4" wrists, 16" forearm, and 18-1/2"

upperarms of George Jowett made it easy for him to perform amazing feats of power likethis one-handed Clean and Press of a 168-pound anvil."

Couple of points:

It may be that Batchelor did not write the photo caption (at

least currently, editors may write photo captions)

If Jowett could do this (are pigs flying yet) it is insulting to

other lifters to say it was 'easy'.

In connection with easy, here is the text from page 63 of the

same article:

"He would grab an anvil weighing 168 lbs. by the horn and swing it off the ground with confounding ease!"..."Jowett would then take the same anvil, and holding it in balance in the palm of his hand, press it overhead with one arm!"

The way that final passage is written could be interpreted to

mean that he swung the anvil without cleaning it, then as

a separate lift, performed the overhead.

Also, I have never seen a photo of Jowett with ANY anvil

overhead at arm's length- such may exist, but I have not seen

one. Believe me, I can support at my shoulder much more

than I can then put overhead.

As to whether the one arm clean and press claim came from Jowett himself, I cannot speak to that due to ignorance about it. But. Jowett was alive and well at this time, and

assuming he was aware that such a statement was being

spread about him, he had ample opportunity to correct it.

On the other hand, see Ironman Nov 1958 wherein Liederman

witnessed "Jowett grabbed the blacksmith's anvil by the horn,

swung it to his shoulder to follow with a slow-balancing press overhead with one arm." Now the way this is phrased could mean he grabbed the horn with two hands, right?

Regarding the photo of Jowett one hand-deadlifting the anvil,

the weight of the anvil becomes key. Was there more than one anvil? I shall ask the man who now has the 168 lb anvil for a photo, then we can tell if the anvil in Mr. America is the

same anvil that was in George's daughter's possession.

Anyway, the search continues. This confusion is exactly why

the competitions you hold, David, are key to accuracy in

reporting. Exact details, specific feats. WITNESSES!

Re. the grip contests, Thanks.

Personally I don't believe that he cleaned and pressed this anvil with one hand. This doesn't even enter into my brain as reality. But I do believe that he deadlifted it by the horn with one hand, and in 1926 he stated that he had lifted it 3 times off the floor. So in this year he would have been probably 34 years old, as his birthday was on 23 Dec 1891. Three deadlifts is a long way off being able to clean it, never mind press it after! As you know I have many photos sent to me of the anvil by Michael, see his article in Iron Grip.

David

Roark,

Another question:  does your friend who is in possession of the Jowett anvil allow certain "guests" to try and lift it?

At the speed I'm progressing on my anvil lifts.... I'd like to give it a go (with his permission, of course).  Just give me the summer to train... I'll lift it!!  :)  :D

Ya mean I have a choice??  Golly gee.... thanks!!  :p  :D

I bet that Jowett had an electromagnet under his stage and when a "guest" wanted to give the anvil a try, the magnet was switched on and no lift was made. When he cleaned and pressed an anvil, I'm sure it was a lighter one that he'd use and claim it was the 168 or 175 pounder. All smoke and mirrors...

The anvil resides just outside Austin TX. It is a real classic old english type (probably a Peter Wright) like mine. I was going by there to lift it during the NSCA show this year but fell ill with flu and didnt make it. The gym owner is a real nice guy and invited me to see and play in his well stocked old timey gym.RS

I just saw a guy lift a big ass anvil like it was nothing.  Another guy who had just lifted the Inch overhead (and much younger) tried it and it stuck like glue.  And many others were seen trying it..or should I say pushing it around on the floor!

Stay tuned for more info on WHERE I saw this.

Hee hee.  I know where Wanna saw this.... but I know how to keep a secret.... :p

Mr Zcor where might I track down a copy of the Anvils of America book?........ I would LOVE to find one!Any information would really be appreciated!You can contact me thru our Sorinex.com web page. Thanks!!!!

Richard,

I am most interested in your peter wright anvil. That is, in the tracking of its date of forging. The markings on the anvil will give you an approximate date. Peter Wright started making anvils in 1850 up to 1914, when he (sketchy info on this) sold his patents to a man named Williams, who continued to patent the Peter Wright and importing them to America untill 1937.

The anvil you posted about seeing in North Carolina could probably be a "sawmakers" anvil. These anvils were without horns and heels and used to temper saw blades.

Peter Wright anvils were touted as the best made and most sought after by blacksmiths! The first 2 piece anvil made as it were.

Enough anvil history eh? I will be happy to give you a call and give you info on the book. I will try on monday (tomorrow)

Thanks for your interest,

Rick

Guest baldy

About anvils with no horn: I have a good friend that owns and operates a fabrication shop here. He told me that many anvils without horns in the southeastern US are collectors items because they were damaged in the Civil War. The Union armies (probably most notably Sherman's army) would blow the horn off the anvil with a cannon to keep the South from making horseshoes. The results of this to the Rebel army are obvious, over time.

This is not a confirmed account, just something he told me. I am confident he didn't make it up, I just don't know where he heard or read it.

Baldy.

What you have related is true. Union soldiers as they rode into a southern town would find the local blacksmith shop first thing and proceed to break the horn and heel off if they could. That is, if the blacksmith had not already hid his anvils and high-tailed it out of there.

However, it is said in my reference sources they used sledgehammers to break the anvils.

Thanks SOOOOOOO much for the info! The anvil I saw was tall and had a long but thick "waist" It really looks if it were made just as I saw it not broken in any way.... the only marks I saw was a DEEP gash in its side as if hit by a huge mattock or pick axe and at the base in deep (1") relief a spear point shaped leaf cast or forged into the block pointing upwards... .The usual square carrying holes were present with a smooth base with no anchoring holes present. My anvil was given to me by a farmer that said I could have it if I could lift it...I made a pencil rubbing of its side and the words Peter Wright and below it the english hundred weight mark of (I think) from memory 121  (it weighs 149lbs) And on the last line says Armitage Hotel.....Zcor I cant wait for your call!

Richard.... why is it YOU always get the "free" anvils?!?  Durrnit!!  :(

I just recd' the Ironmind little big horn.......has anyone tried to haul up any weight on this item? any numbers?

An English hudredweight or cwt. is 112 lbs. Anvils were made in weights that were hundredweights or fractions of one. Most likely your anvil was 1 1/2 cwt. , or 168 lbs. when it was first made.

You are close Oldguy... Anvils were marked with 3 numbers for it`s weight. The first number indicates how many cwts,(112). The second number indicates how many 1/4 cwts. the second number can only be 0,1,2 or 3. The third number indicates actual pounds and can only be 0-27.

So, if you find an anvil (and do not have access to a scale) and lets say the numbers were 2-2-4 it would be

2x112=224

2x28 =  56 (28 being 1/4 of 112)

4           4  (actual pounds)

___

284 = anvil weight  

class dismissed :)

Richard,

I was thinking of getting that!  What's your opinion of the LBH?  Should I get one or what?