Change of event in British Grip champs

David Horne

Guest 115-1005574997

Jim

Its about time someone pushed the old coger he hasnt had much serious competion over the last few years :)  

It just goes to show how competition is the only way to push yourself to new limits and extend the boundarys of grip strength.

Woody

I cant speak for Dave or Jim, but i find the hook grip so uncomfortable i do 5 progressivly heavy singles once a week.  if i were just training the vbar for 'fun' then id use a non hook grip for timed hold or reps.

I think a bar 23" is about right for a 6' man and increase by 1" per inch of height so unless you are over 6' 7" a 30" long bar is too much.

Woody,

Singles are the way to go if you're training for the comp. As Scott says the hook grip is just too painfull for reps.

David

Guest woody36

David,

I would want five years solid training to even think

of competing with you Guys!

Thanks Dave, thanks Scott

Guest 115-1005574997

woody

I once thought like you that its pointless entering a contest unless you have a realistic chance of winning.  I now see thats wrong!  The motivational spur competition gives your training, the fun and banter of fellow competitors, the buzz of lifting in front of others and the experience you gain (it takes about 5 competitions until you are fully able to demonstrate your abilities) are why you should just compete.  You'll find people better and worse than you in the novice section and if you give 100% you will gain respect from EVERYONE! It really is the taking part that counts.  If you dont believe me, ask Jim or Marso or Elizabeth or Silverback or Dave.  Once you have had a go at competing your training wont ever be the same, it takes on a whole new level of progression, intensity and focus. :)

Guest woody36

Scott,

No bullshit! i'm not strong on any lift.

To give you some idea: vertical bar,no hook grip 80kg RH.

i weigh 22 stone (not muscle),i'd like to bet Dave's cat

does more!

This would place me last in the girl guides category :D

Guest 115-1005574997

woody

I see where you are comming from and understand what you are saying, but I recon a 110kg vbar, 45kg H bar curl, 10sec #1 inverted, 70kg 2HPG, 110kg TTWC and 40kg 3.5" dbell deadlift will mean you finish mid table in the novice section.  I think you could do that after 4 months training :)

Woody,

Dave hasn't got a cat.

Would you consider coming along to the comp as a spectator?  It would be great to meet more grip enthusiasts and you could have ago at some of the events if the mood took you?

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave used to have a rabbit i think....

Contest Lifts -  

1. Two Hand Pinch Lift

2. One Hand Vertical Bar Lift 1"

3. Table Top Wrist Curl

4. Inverted gripper for timed hold

5. 2 handed Seated Hammer Curl with ‘H’ bar  

6. 3.5" 1 handed deadlift

August 3rd 2002 at Stafford UK

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave used to have a rabbit i think....