Change of event in British Grip champs

David Horne

Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to have the Jowett anvil horn ready for the competition, so have decided that, with plenty of time to go for everyone, we are going to change this for another new event. This is the 3 1/2" one hand dumbell deadlift. Hope this doesn't cause any inconvenience for anyone.

David

Contact me for any info. david.horne2@ntlworld.com

ya know I was gonna get all snotty on ya and then you said 'thick handled dumbbell' (kind off anyway) so baby show me the trophy  :D

Hey thats in chalk, rub it off my engraved name and pass it back ya young whipper snapper :D

I would guess that the trophy may have Jim's name on sometime. He pulled 228kg on the one hand Vertical bar lift today in training, equalling my lift. My record will be history soon, and maybe a new number one will emerge.

David

Thnak goodness there are other lifts and trophies for 1st 2nd and 3rd place (that means theres a couple Jim can have :D )

Guest baldy

In the southeastern US, people would say it is time to roll up the old pantslegs, because it's starting to get deep in here.

Nothing like some good smack talk before a contest.

BTW Jim, big congrats on the vb lift. I guess when you do it in front of the guy that holds the current record, there is no question about whether or not you matched the lift.

Thanks Baldy.  Making that lift today ment more to me than closing the #3.

Steve,

Don't worry, you've got the thick bar lift to fall back on - you've got nothing to worry about ;)

I know, phew, DH almost had me sweating. I should have also offered my congrats on the big one.

Guest 115-1005574997

JIm

Well done mate!!!  So thats an unofficial 2" vbar alltime world record and an equal all time world 1" vbar.  Not bad at all :)

So, considering your thick handle stuff is ok, your gripper isnt too bad, your vbar lifting is good, your curling quite respecatble, pinching pretty reosanable.... I recon a few competitors will be over confidant at their peril  ;)

So mobster hows your lifts compair to Jims (only seems fair as Jims told the world what hes doing).

Guest 115-1005574997

Jim, I KNOW Dave wont take this challenge lying down and it wouldnt amaze me if a 250kg will be pulled by august. But remember its the weight lifted on the day that counts and with you and Mobster (well he says hes going to be in the top 3) setting the pace, im sure it will be a good day for everyone :)

I wonder what steve can do in the vbar?  ;)

Let's not forget the other competitors in the open section. I think some of these will be jockeying for a top 3 slot. Jason just said he 'can't wait', and neither can I!

Good luck to all, David

Guest 115-1005574997

Dave

Just proves the importance of competition to motivate and push the boundarys of achievement, both personaly and for the sport.  I cant wait either!

Just out of interest, how long is the 1" vbar you use?  Ive had a mate make one up for me at 30" long and it seems much longer than yours.  maybe its just my imajination?

Guest 115-1005574997

Cheers Dave and I thought so! :)

All i need do is another 128kg and Im there with you guys!

Steve, what did you say you are lifting?

I think it's important to remember the competitors in the other sections as well. There are some really good newcomers we can expect something of this year, as well as those who are working their way up the list. There are bound to be fireworks in the open section (which I might as well admit that I'm competing in this year, more fool me), and I'm undeniably and unsurprisingly rooting for one of our lot to take away the biggest trophy! They're all there for anyone to win though, and it's going to be great fun finding out who deserves them this year.

Elizabeth

The V bar is not one of my best lifts - I've discussed this elsewhere and by phone with DH. If I pull 150 kilos on the day I'll be a happy bunny. Of the 6 lifts I think i can do v.well on 2(right up there with the top three or better) and one more will be close. The rest, as all competitors, I will do the best I can.

I, and I hope others are the same, will be happy if I get a record and a couple or 5 personal bests.

You are right Steve. I will not win all the events, but I will put together an array of lifts that will hopefully be good enough to take the prize. Which prize, well we will see. What I love about all this is the chat, the build-up and of course the day of the comp. One thing is for sure, anyone who goes away from the comp with a trophy will have done very well and have earned it.

David

I had an email from Richard Vizor and a buddy Rob Archer asking for details as they'd like to attend - I'm presuming as spectators. Its gonna be big! Any other UK grip nuts not yet competing should come for the crack and to see what happens.

Guest Marso2

A 3.5" d'bell .. awww come on .. I'll never get my hand round that .. I can't even do a hook grip on a 1" bar my hands are that small  :(

Anyway .. enough of my moaning .. I think anyone who has the balls to get up there and compete will walk away with something more valuable than a trophy .. respect from their fellow competitors and a great sense of accomplishment.

I can't wait.

Ian

Guest 115-1005574997

Ian (marso2) you are so right.  it doesnt matter what place you come in the contest, if you have the bottle to give it your all in front of 30+ people, some total strangers, with your efforts being filmed and photographed.....now that takes guts!!  Anyone, no matter who deserves respect for that and I will be cheering everyone on, even if they are about to beat me on the day! :)

As Eliz said, this years competition has 3, equally tough, competative catagories, and just because the novices may be lifting 2/3rds the weight of the opens, the competition, passion and determination will be equaly as fierce!

Oh I cant wait now :)

Ian I know what you mean about the 3.5" handle, but eh, guess the person who wins the catagory REALLY deserves the win!   ;)

I must admit to saying at the beginning of the year that I would happily swap a win in the Grip champs for an extra place or two in the World Arm Wrestling champs. Well now I want both, and to hopefully achieve this I've decided to drop my attempt at the European ArmWrestling Champs in the Czech Republic in June. This is to allow a full preperation, and no hinderance through armwrestling niggles. After the Grip champs, I will devote my training to the Worlds. I think this turnaround came when I saw Jim Wylie pull 228k on the Vertical bar on Sunday. It was then I realised that I've gotta do some work here, because Jim and the others are after my hide. My poundages on the six lifts have started off low, and hopefully over the next 18 weeks they will rise to where I expect them to be. Who knows. But one thing is sure, I do have a fire lit up now, mainly due to seeing Jim's fine performance.

David