Thick Bars: Knurling? + Diameter

amarkx

Guys,

Ok I've done a search but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I want to get a thick bar.

Firstly, I can have one made with knurling, or without. Which would you say is best? I'm thinking that without knurling would be best as it would work the grip as it would be more of a challenge to hold.

Secondly, which diameter would you guys recommend? The choice is 2" or 2.5". I'm thinking the 2.5" would be be best but as I have only medium sized hands it could prove too thick.

Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer here. The standard seems to be the IronMind Apollon Axle which is a true 2" bar with 1.95" ends to take all plates. It has no knurling. The most common homemade bars use 1 1/2" pipe which gives a smooth shafted 1.9" bar for a lot less money. The other common homemade bar uses a 1 1/2" pipe with a piece of 2" pipe slid over it. This gives a 2 3/8" smooth holding area. Bars can be made of course with a true 2" diameter from DOM tubing or solid round stock but be very careful here - many plates will not fit over a 2" shaft without having the shaft turned down a little - and that can cost a pretty penny. So short version is no knurling and take your pick on diameter - I have both and seldom use the 2 3/8" but use the 2" all the time.

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer here.  The standard seems to be the IronMind Apollon Axle which is a true 2" bar with 1.95" ends to take all plates.  It has no knurling.  The most common homemade bars use 1 1/2" pipe which gives a smooth shafted 1.9" bar for a lot less money.  The other common homemade bar uses a 1 1/2" pipe with a piece of 2" pipe slid over it.  This gives a 2 3/8" smooth holding area.  Bars can be made of course with a true 2" diameter from DOM tubing or solid round stock but be very careful here - many plates will not fit over a 2" shaft without having the shaft turned down a little - and that can cost a pretty penny.  So short version is no knurling and take your pick on diameter - I have both and seldom use the 2 3/8" but use the 2" all the time.

I totally agree, IMO it is a good idea to use what is common in case you want to train for a comp or compare your lifts to others as it will be more standardized.

Thanks for the input guys. It's helpful.

I'll try a 2" unknurled bar.

After having read Dinosaur Training I feel inspired to train exclusively with thick bars now.

I just finished that book in like 2 days, I couldn't put it down. I made my own Appollon Axle from a 1.5" diameter plumbing pipe (7ft long), with cheapo ring collars welded on. I did a workout yesterday with it for the first time, and it kicked ass. I also vote on the 2" (outer diameter) bar as opposed to thicker. I'm gonna make a thicker bar as well, but I'm sure I will use it less frequently. Good luck.

I have a smooth 2.5 bar that I have loved. I choose the 2.5 because, I know if I can lift x amount on a 2.5 I can on a 2, but not the other way around. Plus I'm hoping for carry over to the RT lifts and the inch.

I have a 2 3/8" DB thickbar..which is close to the inch diameter. It seems most popular with barbells however to replicate the Apollons Axle which is 2". Maybe both is best..I am hoping that working with my

2 3/8 that it would surely transfer to the smaller 2".

Thanks for the input guys. It's helpful.

I'll try a 2" unknurled bar.

After having read Dinosaur Training I feel inspired to train exclusively with thick bars now.

Good decision, if you ask me.