Strength, Support, And Pinch Focus

Scott Styles

After the BBB this weekend, it's clear to me that my support and pinch are not up to par with my crush. I also lack the overall body strength needed to reach greater levels of grip strength. My primary focus for the cycle is going to be an emphasis on these three factors. It's going to be a 10 week cycle with 2 workouts a week and an optional yoga session once a week.

I'll do one grip workout on the weekend, one during the week. Hopefully I can take pictures for GripFAQ.com during the weekend workout. Yoga comes in when I feel like my joints and muscles need it. I'm not planning on doing any other strength training. No brilliant plan, I just don't feel like it. Maybe during block weight work I'll press one of them overhead a couple times.

My exercises will look as follows:

Warm up: Wear gloves for 5 minutes

Levering: Front, Rear, Overhead. Whatever combinations I feel like that day. This is to work my wrists and warm up my hands for the deads. I'd like to be able to do my 6lb sledge overhead by the end of the cycle.

2" Barbell Deads from 15": Warmup, then work until I decide I'm done. This is my core exercise. I'm going to start with 135 and add 10lbs a week. I'll do what I can with the given weight. If it gets too hard for me on the 2" barbell near the end of the cycle, I'll pull the pvc sleeve off my bar. This should bring my core body strength up some as well as stress my supporting strength. I'm starting witht the bar at 15" because in the past deads have hurt my back. Pulling the weight from this height doesn't seem to. If I use 25s on the bar, it also means I don't have to move crap at the bottom of my rack out of the way to deadlift.

Block Weight Work and/or Plate Pinches: Not mutually exclusive, the goal with these is to fry my thumbs. I have a short term goal of getting my 35lb blob off the ground, hopefully this cycle. A medium term goal of getting 2 35s off the ground. I will be focusing on trying to wrist curl the weights as I'm pinching them.

Optional Grip Exercise - One additional exercise per workout. Whatever I feel like. I just got a v-bar from FBBC. All the levering will make me eager to bend double underhand. I'm bound to read stuff on the Gripboard I want to try. I'm sure I'll get new toys I want to play with. This exercise slot is to account for all that.

Finger Extensions - 1 slow set of 20 for each hand with a rubber band. Might get some heavier rubber bands if I see them around.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Starkmann

• climber511

• bencrush

How I'm going to recover

The real key to my success and ability to get stronger is attending to my recovery factors. I tend to be lame when it comes to this. If I don't write it down publicly, I won't even try to do it. I find recovery boring. Anyway, here's what I'm going to try to do each day:

Environment

1. Keep the humidifiers at home and work full

2. Wear gloves to bed

3. Wear gloves when outside

I've found keeping my hands warm keeps my knuckles feeling limber. I hurt my middle knuckles a little doing severe negatives on the grippers. I tried taking time off, that didn't heal it. Now I'm training around it (few max gripper attempts, no negatives), hoping time will heal the problem.

Active Recovery

1. Do finger extensions

2. Play with dexterity balls

3. Do ROM exercises with my shoulders

4. Do contrast baths or "buckets" the day of or day after a grip workout

Ultimately I'd like to see a doctor to figure out what is actually wrong with my right shoulder and fix it up. I want to save up some money and wait until work dies down a bit though. The buckets are by far the hardest of these for me. I get bored with them.

Diet

1. Eat each of the following per day

1.1 Flax Cereal

1.2 Beans

1.3 Yogurt or Cottage Cheese

1.4 Seed Mix of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, and Brazil Nuts

1.5 Lettuce

1.6 Celery and Carrots

1.7 Fruit, 1 or 2 servings

2. Drink iced tea in place of soda where practical

3. Avoid eating large amounts of white flour or partially hydrogenated fats when eating meals at home

I'm at a point in my life where I eat pretty much whatever I want. I'm young, I like food, and I can afford to enjoy myself. The caveat to that is there is a certain core set of foods I need to eat each day to feel good and stay healthy. Those are listed in item 1. Most of these are already habit for me.

Item 2 is a reflection of my belief that corn syrup is one of the unhealthiest substances known to man. I really like soda with certain foods but wish they would do away with the corn syrup. The iced tea is a new lifestyle change I've been picking up over the last few months.

Item 3 reflects the fact that I feel like crap if I have more than one meal in a row with large amounts of either ingredient. They usually come together. I don't typically eat out more than once every day or two, so this should have me covered in preventing that behavior. It's not like I'm going to eradicate the substances from my diet or anything. I do like chips, cookies, and ice cream. This item is more or less already habit for me.

In Summary

I think I've got a good plan for the next 10 weeks. My first workout will be tomorrow. Nothing too heavy, just getting the blood flowing after the contest this weekend. This is the only exercise I'm really doing, so I shouldn't have any problems sticking to it. I'm also motivated and like to grip. I'll probably throw a spreadsheet into my PDA to track how well I attend to my recovery factors. My cycle will finish at the end of the year.

The contest completely redefined my perspective on what is an achievable level of grip strength. After seeing 3 different guys close a #4, a #2 close feels like a minor achievment. After seeing 5 different guys bend 5/16" round steel, a 60 penny nail doesn't sound that hard. After seeing 3 different guys lift a blob50, my 35lb blob seems like a small stepping stone.

20 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

10-25-2005 - Workout 1 of 20

The primary purpose of today's workout was just to get a feel for things. Didn't keep a real close record. I'm still in a little pain from the contest Saturday, but nothing terrible. Worked from home today so I could finally get enough sleep to feel fully rested.

Warm Up: Forgot to do it.

Levering: Played around with the 6lb sledge, trying to get a feel for the set / rep combo I'm going to workout. As of now it looks like I'll be going with sets of 5 reps. Exercise order will be 1 set for each hand of front levers, rear levers, and overhead levers. I will do this 3 or 4 times.

2" partial deads: 5x45, 5x95, 5x145 (PR), 5x145 (PR), 5x145 (PR) - Went with 145 since it was easy to load the bar. Sets will ultimately be done rest / pause style. More or less continuous today since the weight wasn't too hard. Never done these before, so as long as I go up, PRs all around.

Block Weights: No real pattern here today. Worked up to a max lockout from my bench with the blocks. Got the 30 each hand, much more easily with the right. Did some negs with my 35lb blob. Then passed the 25lber from hand to hand 3 times. Did 10 passes on the best set. Still working out the pattern I want to follow.

V-bar: First time trying this impliment. Worked up to 105lbs (PR). 140 and 130 would not go up, but I think it is due to a fear of ripping the skin on my hands. I'll probably do this exercise as my optional one for a few more workouts. It's a good one to ease into. I also need to learn to do it better. Seeing as top guys get 350lbs on this thing, I'm missing more than just strength. My hands kind of burn from this exercise.

Finger Extensions: 1x20 with one band

Dexterity Balls: IM L2 Balls, forwards and backwards without touching for 30 revolution each way per hand. In other words, I played with them.

Will need to post my recovery factors each morning, since the worst thing I could do for my sleep is hop online to post them right before bed.

19 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

10-29-2005 - Workout 2 of 20 - Playing: Green Day DVD

Today my goal was to begin putting some structure to the overall set and rep scheme for the workout. I attended to my recovery pretty well yesterday, slept in today, then took a nap before my workout, so I was feeling patient and ready to go.

Warm Up: Wore my gloves for 5 minutes while setting up for the workout.

Levering: Using my 6lb sledge, with hand breadths from the top of the head being used to measure the increments. Same sets and reps for both hands.

Front Lever: 5x3, 5x4, 5x5 (PR)

Rear Lever: 5x4, 5x5, 5x6 (PR)

Overhead Lever: 5x4, 5x6, 5x7 (PR)

The last series of sets was approaching a maximal effort. We'll call them PRs since I've not focused on these methodically before. I like this set and rep scheme and will stick with it. Next workout I'll start a little further down the handle and see if I can get away with one warmup set and two work sets. Good pump in the thumbs with these.

2" partial deads: 5x45, 5x95, 5x145, 5x145, 5x145 - Not a problem. Will add 10lbs next workout. Realized I've got a mirror I can place to watch my form while doing this, as I am fearful of hurting my back. Also tried 195 to make sure I'm not slacking. Only got it about 3/4 of the way up, so I think my progression scheme is appropriate.

Block Weights:

20lb block: Pass from hand to hand 10x

25lb block: Pass from hand to hand 10x

35lb blob: A number of attempts to lift it followed by negative holds of a couple seconds.

30lb block: 4 lockouts from bench and holds till drop. No timing.

I've got a 35lb block coming in the mail sometime next week. I'll be interested to see how it compares to my 35lb blob. I cleaned the blob off today and made sure my hands were nice and free of oil before trying to lift it. I'm so freaking close, but not quite there. I also rolled it around looking for the sweet spot. Still not sure of the best place to lift it from.

V-bar:

1x60

1x90

1x120 (PR)

1x140 (PR)

I'm really torn as to whether or not this is actually a worthwhile exercise or just a feat of pain tolerance. I seasoned my bar a little bit and tried the technuiqe where you wrap the thumb over the fingers. Something must of helped because 140lbs was just barely doable. And cripes did it hurt.

Dexterity Balls: IM L2 Balls, forwards and backwards without touching for 30 revolution each way per hand. In other words, I played with them.

Overall I'm happy with how things are going. I've got an order from FBBC coming soon with one of the new economy pinch blocks and a beginners benders bag. I expect to be alternating blocks with the pinch block and bending with the v-bar.

18 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

Trying to Find a Wrist Roller

When I ordered from FBBC I was tempted to get a 2" wrist roller for my power rack as well, but decided to put that purchase off for a little bit. I'm fortunate enough now to be able to afford whatever toys I want, but I'm not sure what I want in a wrist roller. I'm trying to figure out what is sufficient to ensure smooth rolling on a 1" bar and sufficient knurl to work the wrists. I've looked at rollers from NYB, PDA, Ironmind, and FBBC.

- NYB appears to have the best combination of knurling, rolling, and price, but my experience with other equipment from them has been bad.

- PDA's rollers seem decent, but are pricey and may be over engineered. Also, in spite of their sponsorship of the board, the way they over-complicate things in their product descriptions makes me wary of purchasing from them.

- Ironmind's one wicked wrist roller seems appealing at first glance, but I've read the knurling is too sharp and can cut the hands up pretty bad. I also have a hard time telling if they do anything special over FBBC or NYB to make it roll well. At $65 delivered, I may as well buy a PDA roller.

- FBBC's rollers are bare bones, but half of the price of Ironmind's. I have concern as to how smoothly they will roll and if the lack of knurling will make it more of a grip exercise and less of a wrist exercise. On the other hand, I know John is trying the equipment himself and everything I've seen from FBBC has been quality.

So in the end, I'm still mulling things over trying to figure out what I want. Fun problem to have I suppose. I wish there was a store I could go to and try them all at. If not for my past experiences with NYB, I probably would have already ordered their roller. If the FBBC roller had light knurling on it, I probably would have already ordered their roller. I think it's down to those 2 at this point. I could always get them both and then sell the one I like less...

Scott - of course I made my own wrist roller from PVC pipe - 2 different size - but I just wrap them in athletic tape and the grip is fine and it lasts for years.

Chris, I figured someone was going to remind me that I could make one. That you were the one to do it doesn't suprise me in the least bit, there's even a picture of the rollers you've made on your website :D

http://stylesdevelops.com/climber511/Equip...?page=GripTools

Knowing that you find the athletic tape grip to be sufficient is a big help for me. I also just looked more at the NYB roller and they want $16 for shipping. That's more than half the price of the wrist roller. I just sent an email to John inquiring about adding a 2" roller to my order. Assuming he does in fact do something to eliminate the bump, I'm sold.

Thanks for your help.

All John's stuff is good - if you need grip - just remember the tape :D

Nice job so far. Dont worry about the pain from v-bar, try and avoid skin ripping tho. Pain makes the man.

Thanks Kurt.

11-01-2005 - Workout 3 of 20 - Playing: Britney Spears DVD :blush

Now I'm starting to work. I was able to work from home today and get a good nights sleep. That is something I'm going to try to do every Tuesday until the end of the year. My job is pretty flexible in that respect, so I should be able to swing it.

Levering: Using my 6lb sledge, with hand breadths from the top of the head being used to measure the increments. Same sets and reps for both hands.

Front Lever: 5x4, 5x5, 5x5 (PR)

Rear Lever: 5x5, 5x6, 5x6 (PR)

Overhead Lever: 5x6, 5x7, 5x7 (PR), 1x8 (PR)

These are getting hard now. I'll repeat this workout on Saturday, then attempt to go up a hands breadth next Tuesday. I may need to find a more precise way of measuring progress soon. My right hand is better at these than my left. The sledge work has become higher priority now that I am thinking about the Michigan grip contest in Feb. The lightest sledge that they are using is an 8lber, so I need to make some serious gains here.

2" partial deads: 5x45, 5x115, 5x165, 5x165, 5x165 - Uh, so, the thing about my progression scheme is I loaded 10's on for my second warm up set instead of 5's. I'm really lazy and didn't want to unload, then reload the bar, so I thought I'd give this a shot. The first set was crappy but I made it. The second set I chalked then wiped down my hands, it was better.

The last set, each time I set up to pull I focused, crushed the bar with my hands, tensed the muscles in my upper back, and ripped it off the pins. The set was actually pretty easy. I have clearly never learned how to deadlift correctly. I think I'll get to my goal of 225 on these.

Block Weights:

35lb blob: 4 attempts to lift it followed negative holds of a couple seconds.

30lb block: picked it up 5 or 6 times, passed it hand to hand once, did 2 holds

Tracking progress on these is kinda difficult. There are so many variations in the lift and my ego has me trying to optimize each attempt. I'm looking forward to my FBBC pinch block. Since it's plate loaded, I'll be much more likely to focus on a consistent lifting surface and measuring progress. I do better that way. I also think that now that the previous exercises are moving up, this one is suffering. I have some concern that the wide pinch won't carry over to my narrow pinch as well.

V-bar:

1x60

1x90

1x130 (Fail)

1x145 (Fail)

I'm done with these for now. I have zero interest in the amount of pain involved in v-bar. Working out to the Britney Spears DVD has already immasculated me, so I feel no shame over this. I do have two real reasons:

1. I fear a skin injury that prevents me from training

2. I think practicing this often will cause me to create an artificial mental barrier regarding the max weight I am capable of, in order to avoid pain.

EASY Pony Clamp:

1x1 Full Rep

1x7 Full Reps

Found this bad boy at American Science and Surplus for 95 cents. Thought I'd give it a spin since v-bar was so crappy and I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. It's the first pony clamp I can close all the way with one hand, so it's fun.

Bending:

DO: 60 penny nail - Fail

Reverse: 7" x 1/4" zinc coated round

Trying another exercise on for size for the end of the workout. My wrists were already shot before starting this. As were thumbs. It showed. I think bending is one of those things I have to do at the start of a workout or not at all.

Dexterity Balls: Played with my 2" 6oz balls, then my 4lb shots.

I'm pleased with levering and especially the partial deads. Less so with block weights and v-bar. The reailty is whatever exercises are 3rd and 4th are going to suffer. Saturday I will probably go with blockweights and either wrist curls or my new pony clamp for exercises 3 and 4. Once my FBBC stuff arrives these will be replaced with pinch block and the wrist roller I ordered.

I am attending to my recovery factors fairly well. More importantly I'm also tracking them each day and aware of whether or not I hit them. I'll post a summary to days completed vs. days passed for each item after workouts 5, 10, 15, and 20.

17 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

I'm thinking about going to the Michigan Grip Contest in Feb. It's only a 3 hour drive from me and I think if I turn it into a weekend vacation my fiance will be up for it.

11-05-2005 - Workout 4 of 20 - Playing: My sick fiance coughing in the bed. Poor girl.

This workout went ok, but could have been better. I repeated the weights from last time, but not with the authority I would have liked. After being a little sick this week, the only things I ate today were some pasta at 8am and some Fudruckers at noon. I walked around outside in the rain for most of the afternoon, then got home about 5 to workout. My fiance who is also sick was laying in the bed. Not perfect conditions, but gotta get it done.

Front Lever: 5x4, 5x5, 5x5

Rear Lever: 5x5, 5x6, 5x6

Overhead Lever: 5x6, 5x7, 5x7, 1x8

Nothing exceptional here. I marked up my sledge at 1" increments to measure progress more precisely. Starting next workout I will use those.

2" partial deads: 5x45, 5x115, 5x165, 5x165, 5x165

It's been raining all day and the humidity made these a little harder than I'd planned. The PVC can get pretty slick. I might have to invest in one of the solid axles FBBC is starting to sell now. I do get paid in 10 days...I should probably wait to get used to the new equipment I already have coming first.

Block Weights:

35lb blob: 3 attempts to lift it followed negative holds of a couple seconds.

30lb block: picked it up 4 times and held it

Block weight curls: 5x20lb, 1x25lb

Block weight overhead press: 1x25lb, 1x20lb by face

2 hand block weight curls: a few x 30lb, a few by 35lb

Just playing around with the blocks today. My enthusiasm wasn't there for intensity, so I did some extra volume. Thumbs were pretty pumped. My new block came to my parents house today, but for some reason instead of bringing it up the postman just left a notice in their mailbox. I guess he's lazy.

Grippers: 10xT, 3x#1, BBSA fail

EASY pony clamp: 1x, 5x, 1x

Dexterity Balls: Played with my IM Level 2 balls

Overall it was a fine workout, but not ideal. I would like to be attending to my recovery a bit better than I did this week and have some strategies in mind to do that. Tomorrow I will post a summary of how I've attended to recovery for the first 4 workouts as well as changes to my recovery approach.

16 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

Attending to Recovery - Workouts 1-4 (Microcycle 1) Results: 142/160 points, 89% compliance

I've been tracking how I attend to recovery via an Excel spreadsheet. One point per activity per day. Exception is buckets which had 4 planned days. I only have 12 days on here due to when I started tracking. Each of the next 4 microcycles will have 14 days.

Environment

1. Keep the humidifiers at home and work full: 12/12 - 100%

2. Wear gloves to bed: 11/12 - 92%

3. Wear gloves when outside: 11/12 - 92%

NEW for next time: Grip message boards max of once per day

NEW for next time: Track hours of sleep

I'm happy with each of these. My humidifier at home kinda sucks and while it claims 50% humidity, I don't really believe it. The filters are also expensive. I ordered a new humidifier last night. That will be key to keeping my environment healthy as winter moves in.

I'm adding in a max number of times of checking grip message boards of once per day. I have so much enthusiasm to play on the internet talking about grip, but then don't attend to my recovery. That's just dumb.

I added a recovery factor for tracking my hours of sleep each day. I'm not prepared to set a goal, I just want to see what I am doing. I may set a goal in microcycle 3 or 4.

Active Recovery

1. Do finger extensions: 12/12 - 100%

2. Play with dexterity balls: 12/12 - 100%

3. Do ROM exercises with my shoulders: 12/12 - 100%

4. Do contrast baths or "buckets" the day of or day after a grip workout: 6/4 - 150%

NEW for next time: Change #4 to be the 2 days following a grip workout.

NEW for next time: Do yoga the day following my grip workout

The shoulder ROM exercises aren't being particularly effective, they might be making things worse. It's hard to tell. First I tried doing arm circles from small to big. Then I tried doing some L-flyes. I need to review my copy of the 7min Rotator Cuff Solution at some point. If it isn't better by the end of this mesocycle, I'm going to take the steps necessary to see the Orthopedic Surgeon that fixed my Mom's shoulder and get a professional opinion. This has been a problem for me for years, so that will probably be the end result.

My plan for contrast baths isn't sufficient. I'm changing it to the 2 days after a grip workout. Day of my hands have so much blood in them I think I'm ok. It's the 2 days following that crap has really built up. By the 3rd day my hands are fine, if I've been doing the contrast baths.

I'm adding specifics for the yoga, both to help my shoulder and ensure my back and hips don't complain as I add weight to the deadlifts. Doing yoga whenever I feel like it appears to have me never doing it.

Diet

1.1 Flax Cereal: 10/12 - 83%

1.2 Beans: 9/12 - 75%

1.3 Yogurt or Cottage Cheese: 10/12 - 83%

1.4 Seed Mix of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, and Brazil Nuts: 9/12 - 75%

1.5 Lettuce: 8/12 - 67%

1.6 Celery and Carrots: 9/12 - 75%

1.7 Fruit, 1 or 2 servings: 12/12 - 100%

2. Drink iced tea in place of soda where practical: 10/12 - 83%

3. Avoid eating large amounts of white flour or partially hydrogenated fats when eating meals at home: I did nothing here and am dropping this for now. The other recovery factors are sufficient when complied with. Microcycle 3 or 4 should see me adding in something like: max 1 food each day that does not contribute to optimal health

Overall compliance sucked here, especially when you look at the spreadsheet and see it has been getting worse as time goes on. One factor is that I have not been making my food the day the groceries come. My fiance and I have traded some chores around to help ensure there are clean dishes to make preparing food easier. I also just ordered 40 tupperware containers to ease the burden as well. If I have the tools available I will make my food. I like to eat.

Once I started paying attention to when I drink soda, I pretty much stopped drinking it. Look at a bottle of corn syrup, then realize that soda is that poured in seltzer water plus some food dyes and artifical flavors. Then read the book Fat Land : How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World. You won't want to drink soda either. Corn syrup is some nasty stuff. Ick.

If I comply with 1 and 2, 3 becomes a non-issue until things get really intense. Hence the change. I have a course on alternative and complimentry nutrition (supplements) coming this week. After reading that I may add to this list for microcycle 3.

In Summary

This is a much more anal retentive attitude towards recovery than I've taken in the past. The engineer in me says it should ultimately ensure progress. I'm certainly paying more attention to what I do and eat in order to improve my gripping. Ironically this is much more effective for me than doing this stuff in the name of "health." I can also see why my previous attempts to get stronger would fail so miserably. Despite what I know, I have to place myself back on track to hit the recovery factors daily.

The other thing that is really helping is since paying off my student loans, I'm in a financial position to spend money to improve my gripping and recovery. So far I've been able to get new grip toys, a nutrition course, buy more tupperware, and upgrade the humidifier. I will be hiring a cleaning person once a month in exchange for my fiance keeping the dishes done. When it comes time to deal with my shoulder, the main cost I have to worry about is time. This is all new to me, and I like it.

16 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

11-08-2005 - Workout 4 of 20 - Playing: Smashing Pumpkins DVD

Pretty good workout. Well rested and well fed. Almost over the cold I caught. I'm close to having the kinks worked out of my core exercises and am doing well on recovery. Only visiting the grip forums once a day seems to help. Messed up today though. I can't visit in the morning on the days I need to post my workout :tongue

Levering: Using my 6lb sledge, number indicates inches from the head of the sledge my thumb is+1. Same sets and reps for both hands.

Front Lever: 5x9, 5x15, 5x15 (PR)

Rear Lever: 5x18, 5x21, 5x21 (PR)

Overhead Lever: 5x17, 5x21, 5x21, 1x25 (PR)

These are starting to get hard. I've run into an issue where the hammer handle is smashing the pressure point between my index finger and thumb. It hurts! I think I've figured out if I really focus on crushing the hammer handle with my pinky and ring finger, I can make the pain go away. I need to play with this more next session. I'm 5 inches away from doing on overhead lever with my 6lber. I really want to get to the point of doing my 8lber by the time the Michigan grip contest rolls around.

2" partial deads: 5x75, 5x125, 3x175, 5x175 (PR), 4x175

I didn't chalk up for the first set and sweat made the bar too slippery. Fixed that on the 2nd set. By the 3rd set, my thumbs were just fried. I think I will be able to get 3x5 on Saturday. Right now I'm 2 weeks ahead of schedule on these, so I have room to repeat weight next week if needed.

Block Weights:

30lb block: Lockout from bench

35lb blob: 1 attempt to lift per hand (fail)

Block weight curls: 8x20lb (PR), 1x25lb, 1x25lb, 1x25lb

Block weight overhead press: 1x20lb, 1x25lb

Block weight tosses: 20lber, 25lber

I'm not taking out my 30lb block or 35lb blob again until I'm ready to make a fresh attempt on a max after the end of this cycle. My thumbs are too beat up by the first two exercises to worry about maxes on blocks. I just need to train with the ones I can handle.

EASY pony clamp: 15x (PR) - It really is easy.

15 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

Scott,

Looks like a well rounded routine, keep after it.

Suggestion on the Flax seed: I use red mill brand ground flax seed on my breakfast, a couple table spoons stirred into some flavored instant oatmeal is pretty doable.

How's the Fiance(sp?) feeling about the gloves all the time?

Scott - when levering the sledge - wear your gloves - will stop or at least help with the pain in the webbing of your hand. You can also try kind of folding the web down towards the center of your palm - it helps but dosn't stop the pain completely.

Scott - when levering the sledge - wear your gloves - will stop or at least help with the pain in the webbing of your hand.  You can also try kind of folding the web down towards the center of your palm - it helps but dosn't stop the pain completely.

very well orginized and very dedicated good job scott

Starkmann

I've got this flake cereal from Nature's Path that has the flax seed cooked in:

http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold_c...axplus_r_flakes

I like the way it tastes a lot. I've tried ground flax, but could never get consistent with it. I think I still have the coffee grinder with caked on flax somewhere.

Chris,

It's not pain coming from the skin, but the pressure point deep within the muscle between the thumb and the pointer finger. I did try the gloves at first but they made it to hard to hang on to the sledge. The day after my workout, the muscle on the base of the hand below my pinky was pretty sore. The more I think about it, I think previously I was letting the webbing take as much of the force as possible to make the sledge easier to lever. This also focused all the pressure on that spot.

bigDman - Thanks for the support.

11-08-2005 - Workout 6 of 20 - Playing: My fiance rocking out to Karaoke Revolution 3

Let me preface this workout by admitting I did not attend to my recovery like I should of since Tuesday. Tuesday night I was up until 3 in the morning finishing a design for work. The 4 hours of sleep I got screwed up the rest of my week. Also, my FBBC stuff came friday and I had to carry the box from my office to the train station and then home. Once I got it home, the natural decision was to try it out.

Luckily, my fiance was present today, and I had no choice but to show her what a big man I am. Especially after getting owned by her at Karaoke Revolution. My success isn't really deserved, but I sure am happy with it. I will be making a point to recover better next week.

Levering: Using my 6lb sledge, number indicates inches from the head of the sledge my thumb is minus 1. Same sets and reps for both hands.

Front Lever: 5x9, 5x15, 5x15

Rear Lever: 5x18, 5x21, 5x21

Overhead Lever: 5x17, 5x21, 5x21, 1x26 (PR)

I focused on crushing the handle with my pinky and ring finger. It helped to alleviate the pain in my hand a lot. It also seems to work my crush a bit, which I like. Maybe I'll dominate that #2 after this cycle and a little specific training. I will go up 2" on each lift next time. Watching some videos of others doing this lift online, I think I am being stricter then typical. I always try to get the hammer handle down to parallel.

2" partial deads: 5x75, 5x125, 5x175, 5x175 (PR), 5x175 (PR)

I chalked up before doing the first work set. By the end of the last set, I was fried. Rep 5 I had to try for 3 times. But here's the messed up part: On that third try I breathed deeply, squatted down, crushed the bar hard as I could, and just pulled. It popped up and I felt like I could hold it all day. This lift is still entirely mental for me. I need to add weight and remember to crush the bar. 185 on Tuesday.

FBBC 2 Hand Economy Pinch Block (2"): 1x60, 1x75 (PR), Failx75, 5x65, 8x65 (PR)

My FBBC stuff came Friday, just in time! This thing is sweet. I have absolutely zero splitting in my thumb webbing. My thumbs are fried. My fingers feel like they are getting worked on pinch for the first time. I think all that block work has left my fingers the weak point on my narrow pinch. I expect big gains here. I'm also making it a point to focus on lifting on a well chalked block for consistent performance, opposed to trying to maximize friction.

FBBC 2" Wrist Roller: 1x35, 1x60, 1x60

Another new toy! By the end of each set, my skin is raw and my wrists burn. I'm glad I bought this, specifically because it does not have knurling. I don't see how I could possible stand using a roller with knurling. Grip is not an issue at all. One thing that did annoy me a little is there is a slight bump in each revolution. I don't like that because it's loud and makes the rolling a little inconsistent. However, it has zero impact on the actual training effect and I'll gladly make the tradeoff for the money I saved over PDA.

-------------------------------------------------

This was a really good workout overall and speaks to how important the mental aspect of things is for success. I'm very pleased with the FBBC equipment, especially for the price. The range and quantity of steel in the Benders Bag means as long as John offers them, I'm not cutting my own. Once I finish this cycle, I will be interested to test my max double underhand bend with the new steel.

The pinch block and wrist roller are going to help structure the rest of my workout and make things go much faster. When I have direction, I efficiently move through the workout, instead of throwing the weights around until I feel tired. I should be getting a feel for the sets and reps I want to use over the next week.

One annoying thing that has been happening is the back of my hands have started to rash. I haven't worn gloves at night for 2 days as a result and that seems to help some. I think my soap is leaving a residue on my skin and when my hands sweat in the gloves overnight, it creates the rash. I ordered some of my "preferred" unscented, uncolored glycerine soap online and hope it arrives at work before I go on vacation for Thanksgiving. Until then, no night time gloves.

14 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

11-15-2005 - Workout 7 of 20 - Playing: Pumping Iron

My hands have been pretty tight since Saturday's workout. Contrast baths have felt very, very good the last 2 nights. I was reasonably well prepared for the workout today.

Levering: Using my 6lb sledge, number indicates inches from the head of the sledge my thumb is minus 1. Same sets and reps for both hands.

Front Lever: 5x11, 5x17, 5x16

Rear Lever: 5x20, 5x23 (PR), 5x23 (PR)

Overhead Lever: 5x19, 5x23 (PR), 5x23 (PR)

The front levers were sloppy and are too heavy. No PRs there and I will drop them back down to 15 next workout. The rear and overhead levering is going up steadily now. The thumbs get a LOT of stress during these.

2" partial deads: 5x85, 5x135, 5x185 (PR), 5x185 (PR), 5x185 (PR)

Brain don't fail me now! Seriously, these are all mental. I just have to focus. The last set I found myself yelling at the bar that it couldn't trick me. Then I started chanting "mental" and got my reps. 3x5x225 is still the target for year end.

FBBC 2 Hand Economy Pinch Block (2"): 5x35, 5x65, 5x70(PR), 5x70 (PR)

I've settled on a rep scheme with this. Onwards and upwards.

FBBC 2" Wrist Roller: 1x35, 1x65, 1x65

The wrist roller just fried my thumbs last workout, so I resisted the temptation to do another set at 70 or 75 pounds. Patient progression is key for me here. I need to avoid working my thumbs so severely that they are not prepared to lever by my next workout.

-------------------------------------------------

Other than the front levers, I'm happy with this workout. I've been attending to recovery and it is paying off. The great news is the next 3 workouts find me on vacation for Thanksgiving! I'm going to get lots of sleep, eat loads of food, and sit on my fat ass playing video games for 9 days straight. PRs will abound.

13 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

11-19-2005 - Workout 8 of 20 Cancelled

I managed to catch a nasty cold that has me too sick to train. Looking back, I wasn't sleeping enough and was working too hard. I will repeat the workout from 11/15 on Tuesday to get back in the groove.

12 chances left to get stronger before the end of the year.

Attending to Recovery - Workouts 5-8 (Microcycle 2) Results: 188/236 points, 80% compliance

Getting worse :angry: Catching this cold really threw me off. The data supports my decision to repeat workout 7 on Tuesday.

Environment

1. Keep the humidifiers at home and work full: 14/14 - 100%

2. Wear gloves to bed: 0/14 - 0%

3. Wear gloves when outside: 14/14 - 100%

4. Grip message boards max of once per day: 7/14 - 50%

5. Track hours of sleep: 14/14 - 100%; Average of 7.3 hours / night

The skin on my hands has been getting better now that I've stopped doing the gloves at night. My new soap is still in the mail. I will retry doing nightly gloves once it arrives. I could have done better with the message boards, but this sets a baseline.

My sleep, it freaking sucked. The first 10 days of this cycle I averaged 6.8 hours a night. The only reason it got higher is cause I got royally sick and didn't do anything but work or sleep for the last 4 days of the cycle. I know my body functions best with 7.5 hours of sleep a night and I'm setting that as my goal for this next microcycle. Should be easy for the next 7 days while I am on vacation, at least.

Active Recovery

1. Do finger extensions: 12/14 - 86%

2. Play with dexterity balls: 12/14 - 86%

3. Do ROM exercises with my shoulders: 11/14 - 79%

4. Do contrast baths the 2 days following a grip workout: 6/8 - 75%

5. Do yoga the day following my grip workout: 1/4 - 25%

Getting sick derailed me on 1-4 here. I just didn't have the energy by the time night came. The new plan for contrast baths is very good. The day after a workout, they are one of the highlights of my evening. I still need to figure out how to make time for the yoga, no excuses. On the bright side, I figured out carrying my laptop to work in a backpack every day was aggravating my shoulder, so I've been cutting that down. It appears to help some.

Diet

1.1 Flax Cereal: 10/14 - 71%

1.2 Beans: 12/14 - 86%

1.3 Yogurt or Cottage Cheese: 13/14 - 93%

1.4 Seed Mix of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, and Brazil Nuts: 11/14 - 79%

1.5 Lettuce: 12/14 - 86%

1.6 Celery and Carrots: 12/14 - 86%

1.7 Fruit, 1 or 2 servings: 13/14 - 93%

2. Drink iced tea in place of soda where practical: 14/14 - 100%

Switching the chores up and getting the new tupperware pretty much solved my issues getting my food down. Almost all of my missed days here are a result of being sick. Yesterday I ate oatmeal, mac and cheese, and some romaine lettuce :(

I'm very pleased with the elimination of the soda. I purchased 18 bottles of iced tea last week. This means I have something caffinated to bring to work as an alternative to the free soda. It really helps. I appear to go through 4 bottles of tea a week. It's been a little over 3 weeks since I had any soda, and I'm better off for it.

In Summary

This microcyle was going very well until I got sick. Problem is, I think I brought the cold upon myself. I wasn't sleeping enough and I was working too hard. Getting sick was preceeded by 2 11 hour days at work. Then, like a numbskull, I insisted on working through the sickness thursday and friday so that the projects I'm managing would be in the state I wanted before I went on vacation.

So how to fix this?

1. I've made getting 7.5 hours of sleep a night a goal. This means if I get up at 6:30am, I need to be laying down to go to sleep by 10:30pm. Which means I need to be packing my lunch and doing all my pre-bed stuff by 10:00pm.

2. I've decided not to work so hard. Seriously.

*rant*

Right now I'm busting my ass doing 10 hour days on top of a 2 hour commute. Between my salary and my overtime pay, I've got more money coming in than I even have time to spend. But when I get home, I have to choose between getting a full nights sleep or having a nice dinner with my fiance. In the last 8 months I've only used 4 vacation days. Writing it down, that clearly sucks.

This is the first experience I've had with the company having what essentially amounts to infinite billable hours available for me to do. No matter what I do, there is always more work that urgently needs to get done. I stepped up and gave overtime a good 6 month shot, despite my reservations. I felt it was necessary to figure out a way to be a team player and give my boss time to find someone to help pick up the extra load.

It's been kind of fun to know that every hour I sit at my desk brings in a wad of cash that I get part of. I paid off my last student loan, got good experience, and bought some new toys. Looking back though, I'd rather have had my time. And my boss still hasn't hired that person to pick up the extra load. It reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon.

So, I've comitted to doing the long weeks through the end of the year. I'm buffering some of that by taking vacation from 11/19 to 11/28 and from 12/23 to 1/2. I'll need to step up and do the overtime I comitted to for the 3 weeks in between. After that, it's back to 40 hour weeks for me. The entire reason I live a simple lifestyle is so that I don't have to kill myself trying to get ahead. I need to ignore the part of me that is scheming ways to get up to a 6 figure salary by summer.

*end rant*

Scott,

Looks like a well rounded routine, keep after it.

Suggestion on the Flax seed: I use red mill brand ground flax seed on my breakfast, a couple table spoons stirred into some flavored instant oatmeal is pretty doable.

How's the Fiance(sp?) feeling about the gloves all the time?

Starkmann--

this is 'the fiance'-- the gloves look silly, (esp since he sleeps otherwise naked) but i can appreciate he wants to do his best. as long as he didnt try to 'put the moves on' while wearing them, i dont really care what he does. and anyway, its not the silliest thing i have ever seen him wear before. consistantly. (i do not pick out his clothes for him.) :kiss