Bbb Brief Results, More To Come

John Beatty

Sounds like it a fantastic contest. Must be the highest standard in the gripper event ever, with three guys closing a #4.

Big Steve still undefeated. :bow

Great job, guys! Congrats to all of you. Big Steve's building some momentum heading into November!

Sounds like a blast! Maybe next year.

wow great stuff the grippers. What kind of set was used, like a MMish one or just anything to get it closed. Either way the #4 is nuts.

wow great stuff the grippers. What kind of set was used, like a MMish one or just anything to get it closed. Either way the #4 is  nuts.

MashMonster Sets (parallel). John Beatty asked that you set the gripper and show him the set and then close it.

Ok - next bit

Bending

1st - Big Steve owns a 5.5" x 5/16 Gand Bastard - done DU!! From what Greg said this is the toughest piece of steel ever done DU. Absolutely sure he could have done the Magnificent Bastard Bar if he'd tried. He just CRUSHED the Grand!

2nd - The ever Amazing Dave Morton at 5.75" x 5/16" Steve & Dave were playing "I'm only going to do what I have to". I''m pretty sure Dave has to wear a dress for the 2nd placing?

3rd - tie Greg "the king of determination" Amidon Shoulder was scary & he still gutted out a 7" x 5/16" Fbbc bar. Tied with Josh Dale. Josh was 3/16" from the finish on a 5/16 x 6".

4th - Me (Beatty)- 1/4 x 7" square. I did a PR Bastard bend successfully after my attempts were done. Big thanks to Greg for wrapping the bar for me & the set of leathers. SO much nicer than what I've been using.

5th - Ben - 5.5" x 1/4" grade 5. PR I'm pretty sure. Gave a Grade 8 a ride.

6th - Travis the bending maniac. This young man came in with a PR at BLUE nail. proceded in Warmup (after a little technique coaching by the masters) to bang out a 5/16x 6" grade 2. Kills a 6" x 1/4" grade 5 on 1st attempt, then takes TWO Grade 8's down to about 90 degrees on the next 2 attemps. Great determination. Been bending for 2 weeks.

7th - Jerry D. Hits a big PR with 1/4 x 5.5" round & gives a Grade 5 a good warp.

8th - Scott - 1/4 x 6" round - Great never quit for the PR.

9th - Justin - 1/4 x 7" round for a new PR.

10th - Neil - Here's some intensity, he just keeps hammering away & got a 3/16 x 5.5" square.

Blob Medley

A fun event & well received by all. The problem most guys had was if we missed one, everyone just kept attempting every 2 seconds. Cool, though. 7 blobs at 22.5, 27.5, 32.5, 35, 37.5, 42.5, Blob 50, loaded to a roughly 24" platform.

1st - Guess who - Big Steve again, all 7 in 17.52 sec. Amazingly quick, & he even dropped one in themidddle of the pack. Only one to hit all 7.

2nd - Josh Dale with 6 in 14.77. The guy is so quiet, just rolls up & hammers away.

3rd - Justin - out of nowhere the big guy bangs out the fastest of the 5 loaded times at 9.43 sec.

4th - Dave M at 5 at 10.52 - I'm not sure how many times he had the 42.5 2/3's up, but it was a lot.

5th - Ben at 5 at 11.08

6th - Me at 5 at 15.5

7th - Jerry 5 at 31.04

8th - Greg with 4 at 1:28.91 - this definitely gets the "I'm just not going to let this one beat me" award - Greg just kept hammering this blob until the last few seconds, then just grabbed it & popped it right up.

9th - Travis with 3 in 8.99

10th - Neil with 3 in 10.25

11th Scott with 2 - we didn't time until the 3rd.

More to come later today

We all had a great time!

Big thanks to John Beatty who is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. :bow

Travis and I got there VERY early and John was really cool about it.

I also asked him to adopt me...haven't heard anything back. Yet. :whistel

This was like attending a freak show at an old carnival. My first time to see Big Steve was one I will never forget. Big as a Brahma Bull and possibly stronger.

Dave Morton was the only man I've shaken hands with to completely FOLD my hand like a little kid's. :blink Strong is the biggest understatement on record.

Gamidon was intense! And thanks for all the bending tips big man. They helped me immensely. And they helped Travis even more! Congrats on the #3 close also. Very, very strong guy.

Josh Dale was much bigger than I expected him to be. Arms as big as some people's legs. Forearms that looked like they could wrist curl 300 pounds. Nice as the day is long. Closed a #4 for the first time! :bow Actually CLICKED it for those who weren't there to hear about it first hand... :help

John also closed a #3 for the first time! :rock He's a big, strong, very nice guy. And I agree with the others about how cool it was to see him making time for his beautiful kids.

Jerry and Justin were very nice. Also very big! Strong guys who weren't afraid to mix it up with guys who specialize in grip. They did very well. :mosher

Was great to finally meet Neil and Scott! Putting a face to a name is a great thing. Neil is a great pincher, so if he works on the mechanics of the plate hula, he will be the one to beat next year. Scott is very calm and strong. Glad you competed man. You both have everyone's utmost respect for stepping up to the plate!

Travis was a FREAK! He got a few bending tips from Gamidon The Bending King, and all of a sudden melted some Grade 5s, and took a few Grade 8s to about parallel. :blink His best previous bend was the Blue Nail.

Travis and I rode down together and had a lot of time to talk about the contest and a life in general. Great times were had by all. It was an 8 hour drive for me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Plenty of time to reflect and respect the fact that I am capable of competing with these great guys.

I'll put out a detailed, complete report sometime today.

The bob medley was tough, and I think it was one of my favorite events. Almost everyone did a full block worse in the medley than the best block they could lift. Prior to the event starting, I saw Josh Dale lockout the blob50 without any issues. After plowing through all those other blocks, it was a no go. John made the event nastier by including a 42.5lber that looked to be harder for the guys than the blob50.

I got the 32.5lb blob before the event started, so when John said he wouldn't start time until the 3rd, I thought "no problem". Not true. I must have tried it like 10 times. Of course, after the contest, I had to try the weight I missed and was able to lock it out again. Such a cool event.

It occurred to me a lot of you probably don't read my workout thread, I posted my contest write up there:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=193563

My fiance wrote up her experience in her live journal, here:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/rachieangelwing/2005/10/24/

She also insisted we had to make sure she got a picture with Big Steve.

wow that sounds like a great contest with elite competitors!

Wow, sounds like it was a great time. Congrats to all who competed!!

Sounds like Big Steve is even stronger than previously though, congrats to Jad on closing a 4, and to all those who had fun and hit PR's.

yet more-

Plate hula - just fun. Not a killer hard event, but unusual which is what I like to have when running any comp.

1st - Big Steve again - 43 laps

2nd - Josh "the ambush" Dale. You just don't see this guy coming.

3rd - me - 38 laps - about 30 less than planned, I guess the Blob medley fried me more than expected

4th - Ben - 32 - perfect for him as he never gets tired

5th - Justin - 30 - Big improvements for Justin on this event in the last 2 weeks

6th - Jerry - 29 - we don't know where this came from, Jerry's had trouble getting 10 the last few weeks in training. A little adrenaline?

7th - Dave M - 28 - the best slow mo performance with a long one-handed stop to rest his right hand halfway through.

8th - Travis - 24 - lots of potential here

9th - Greg - again forcing his way through a painful event for him.

10th - Scott - 2 laps - PR on an event I know he was worried about

11th - Neil - 1

Scale wt -

Two 50lb weights laid on their sides, top to top. the handles held together & the 100lb mass lifted & held for time.

1st - Right again - 49.47sec just another day for Big Steve

2nd - Dave - 46.19 sec Great willpower

3rd - John - 41.35 A PR by 10sec

4th - Josh - 38.44

5th - Neil - 27.6 Neil's 1st top 5 placing. Great fight on a tough oddball event

6th - Justin - 22.56 ig improvement from a guy who couldn't lift these 2 weeks ago

7th - Ben - 21.87

8th - Greg - 12.66 - the truest parallel to the floor. Brutal

9th - Jerry - 11.93 - also had never cleared the ground 2 weeks ago.

10th - Travis - 9.63

11th - A shocked Scott. Too stunned they came up to hang on for time.

Will Finish off later tonight

1st of all, I gave all the Glory to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the strength He has blessed me with. At 41 and getting stronger I know He is the reason.

John you Da man! Great job my friend! He was and honor to meet you and the gang. Great place you have there. Gents of the board, John is a 1st class man. Very kind and helpful. All that he sells is top notch. And man can he cook! WOW!

Great comp. Bro.!!! :bow

Guys that were there competing. I had a wonderful time putting name with faces. Thank you for making me a friend of yours. Everyone was kind and helped each other out. It was a true Botherhood of very strong hands.

Josh, you are a beast my friend! You pushed me all day long. You and that myth of a man Morton. Man you guys almost killed me.

Then Greg Amidon has me do cards and stell bending the next morning at 9am.

John thank you for a great comp. my friend! A one guy you are!

Then Greg Amidon has me do cards and stell bending the next morning at 9am.

That's funny. After meeting you three, I can almost hear this scenario going down :D

Guys-

Thanks for all the compliments - I need to pay some back. My list - First, everyone was great. Good guys with big hearts. The sport of grip is like Strongman was 6-7 years ago. No egos, no attitudes, everyone cheering each other on & sharing tricks. Top guys teaching the rest. Everyone acting like old friends by the end of the day.

Big Steve - awesome start to finish. Great guy, great sense of humor, very impressed with the way he quietly thanked the Lord after every attempt & lift. The man is class all the way. If you don't order the DVD, you're missing some serious awe inspiring footage.

Dave - A machine. Soft spoken, funny, relaxed. the man goes into a #4 close like I go into a 225 deadlift. Just cruises up & goes to work. The constant joking between Steve, Greg & Dave is great.

Josh - Talk about unlimited potential. Just hangs out then does something amazing. Only just scratching the surface of what he'll do.

Ben - The gripper squeezingest crush freak on earth. Not content to hit the #3 1-2 times, must have closed a #3 15-20 times. Plus the 40 other grippers he hit. Super nice, and turned an 800lb tire before the show.

Greg - the bending Guru. I think he coached everyone there except Dave & Steve. Funny man. No sense of quit in him. Hit stuff in pain & succeeded.

Justin - f I say nice stuff about my training partners, they'll get swollen heads & I won't be able to tolerate them. Did a great job & hit a bunch of PR's

Travis- Another very nice, very laid back guy. Bending potential through the roof. 2 weeks of bending, taking Grade 8's to 90. with his PR days before being a BLUE.

Jerry- Same as Justin - can't thank him enough for donating all his time to build the prize goodies. Did great on everything, got past a few nervous spots, too. PR after PR

Neil- The guy trained hard the day before & still threw in & pounded it out with the best. Nice guy & kicked in extra $ to help out with the prize goodie list. Pinch is awesome.

Scott - Pr list goes on& on. Super nice guy, willing to climb into the ring & give all with some of the best on earth. One of the things that impresses me on gripsters is how everyone just chats & laughs up until they hit it.

I will certainly be having this show again next year & hope to have everyone back, plus more.

Brisket recipie

2-4lb brisket

coat brisket with seasoned salt & garlic salt,wrap in foil. Into oven at 300 degrees for 4 hours.

Out of oven, unwrap from foil, squeeze 1/2 lemon over meat, layer sliced onion over meat. into oven to broil on cookie sheet for 10 min

out of oven , coat with BBQ sauce of choice & wrap in foil. Bake at 300 for 90min.

in refrigerator overnight, or freezer for as long as you want.

Day of comsumption - take brisket out of foil, slice in 1/2" slices (the stuff will feel hard as a rock, don't worry) back into foil with a little more BBQ sauce, oven at 300 for 1 1/2 hours. Out of the oven & into you. Awesome.

Man - you know you had a GREAT event when you have to include the brisket recipe in the write up. See you guys next year!

I'm gonna have to make the trip down next year! I had a wrestling practice saturday and couldn't make it this year.

Sounds like i missed out on an unbelievable event.

-Matt

The only problem with the brisket was I'd run out of Big Tony's BBQ sauce. Had to use Sweet Baby Ray's. Good, but not Big Tony's. Maybe next year I'll try to get Big Tony to come down to cook for us.