My Grip Workout Advice Needed Please

Mitch Kirchner

I'm 20 years old been working my grip hard for 2 mounths now. I can now close the #2 right handed about 1/4 inch in left. When I first got my CoC grippers in the mail I could only close the #1 once so I have made pretty good progress. My current grip workout is I train twice a week and very high intesity. Looks like this.

warm up- 10-12 reps weak store bought gripper

set 2- 20 reps with trainer

set 3 - 1 minute hold with trainer handles closed

set 4- 1 minute negetive with #1

set 5- 20 reps trainer

set 6- 1 minute negitive with #2

set 7- as many reps with trainer as I can do

set 8- 1 minute negitive with #2

and then 4 sets of negitives with pony clamps 1 minute each for thumb strength

Cool down - rubber band extetions

50 reps strong store bought gripper

50 reps weak store boaghten gripper

I rest about 1 minute to 1 1/2 between stets

I would really appriciate your suggestions what I should do different. I ordered some dexterity balls so I will use them for my cool too. And Should I train more then 2 days a week.

You are definitely on the right track, and congratulations with the #2 close. It took me a lot longer than that to close my #2.

You can train your hands' extensors just as hard as you do your grip and I would do this as a central part of your workout, not just for cool-down, although it's fine to do some band-work for cool down as well.

The IM Expand-Your-Hand bands work well, but the thumb is the weakness. I have a set of somewhat-stronger bands that I found at a local store that work better. I use these bands with my thumb being supported by the fingers of my other hand.

Also, you might want to mix in some card tearing (dollar store cards are by far the best way to get started), and some block-weight training.

Sledge-hammer levering is useful for wrist training, but I have found it can be very effective for building hand-strength too.

I would highly recommend either of John Brookfield's books; also the beginner's guide thread on this board is very useful.

Glenn

This is the thread I mentioned: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=12608.

I've been training grip for close to 2 years and I am still working on getting some of these exercises into my routine. Building an all-around foundation is very important.

Good job on the #2 close.  The only real weakness I see in your program is a lack of wrist work.  The wrists are the base that support strong hands.

well I work my forearms twice a week doing wrist curls palms up and down wrist roller, and reverse curls. And I work them hard.

nice job with the coc#2 close, your routine is obviously working well, i suggest you get your hands on a bbsm. :cool

nice job with the coc#2 close, your routine is obviously working well, i suggest you get your hands on a bbsm. :cool

Whats bbsm?