Definitely Out Of The Champions Contest!

David Horne

Just got back from the doctors, and my worst fears materialised. She believes 50% of that rotator cuff is torn, and will require stitching together. I will have a scan first, and she hopes that maybe I could be having my surgery in 6 weeks or so. After this kind of surgery it can take up to 3-6 months to be right again.

I feel quite down about this, but it is my own fault so hopefully I will learn something from this.

David

It'll be upto the competitors and I know it's very close to the time but it wouldn't bother me to make this a one handed event. David has put, as have we all, an enormous amount of time and effort into the training but he has also gone all out to make this one of the best competitions I'll have competed in.

With Jim competing more or less one handed - the damaged one is getting better but will not be 100% on the day - and this comp not being a qualifier for the Brits, Euros or GGC/world's next year (it could be if it was decided that way but I'm looking ahead) there is little to be gained or lost.

I personally am more than willing to go one handed so that Jim and David can compete with their working arms. Now all I need to do is bring my one handed pinch up again...

What do you guys, those competing especially, think? I'm happy either way but it'd be a nice gesture and given what David has done for our sport and this event I think it'd be nice to offer him a chance to compete.

:( Sorry to hear that David, best wishes for the recovery!

Will still look forward to seeing you at the competition.

Is competing 1 handed a possibility, as per Mobsters message?

I think it should definitely be a one-handed competition.

David, this is rough news to get but stay on top mentally, brother.

-Jedd-

David,

I have had this surgery before...and if you decide to have the surgery...you will do fine :D I wish you well buddy :D

Chad

David sorry to hear about the arm Man. Sounded like you were moving it sometime like that was wrong. I wish you could use my Doc. Wow he fixed mine good. You will be stronger than ever when your all healed up. Let's have fun. Add it, one handed, but please still have two handed too. I paid 579$ to do this event. I have had my eyes on this one for years. Thanks!

I hope you recover quickly and fully. I was looking forward to hearing about your return to grip competition.

Listen to the doc though and take care of that shoulder while waiting to get it fixed. There is time to compete once you are healed.

David sorry to hear about the arm Man. Sounded like you were moving it sometime like that was wrong. I wish you could use my Doc. Wow he fixed mine good. You will be stronger than ever when your all healed up. Let's have fun. Add it, one handed, but please still have two handed too. I paid 579$ to do this event. I have had my eyes on this one for years. Thanks!

Very much agree with you Steve.

David is much stronger in one hand pinch than he is in the two hand pinch relatively speaking (based on his results in the IG competitions).

Likewise he is also much stronger in his right hand in v-bar than with his left hand.

Same with grippers.

It would not be fair to have a one hand competition only at this late stage as this would discriminate against competitors that have more or less equally strong hands.

Hey what is the world record for 1 handed?

I think David has pulled 67.5k-something but that was with the bar touching the outside of his leg quite extensively on its way up.

You've done well - 1) it cost me (or rather my sponsor) $900.00 to compete in the GGC and 2) to have had your eye on a competition that is in its first year (this is the first Champion of Champions event) for years - even before david thought of it. If so can I have the Euro lottery numbers please...

Very much agree with you Steve.

David is much stronger in one hand pinch than he is in the two hand pinch relatively speaking (based on his results in the IG competitions).

Likewise he is also much stronger in his right hand in v-bar than with his left hand.

Same with grippers.

It would not be fair to have a one hand competition only at this late stage as this would discriminate against competitors that have more or less equally strong hands.

Of course. But the question is being directed at those that are competing in this competition. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. It in now way affects those that are not. David is stronger than I am on the one hand pinch so I'd be giving that up (as I would have been 2-handed ha ha).

I asked as it is a contest David has set up, cos I am aware of the extra work that has gone in to make it as good a competition as possible. Of the sponsorship and I have some idea of the prizes and so on. I asked both as a competitor and someone who is aware of David's contribution to the sport.

Now I competing and ain't there just for the experience and so am aware of the opportunity, if that's a nice way of saying it, that David's injury gives me. Yet I still ask.

So, fellow Champion of Champion competitors - what say you?

Of course. But the question is being directed at those that are competing in this competition. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

That was made pretty clear and I ignored it. :kiss

I think its best for David to don't put ANY stress on his bad injury.

As honest as the idea with the one-hand comp is, keep it two handed.

Chad,

That is good news. I am very bored with an arm that can't do anything!

Steve G,

Many thanks for your thoughts regarding a one hand comp. It was very thoughtful, and kind, especially since I am one of your competitors. But it looks like we will keep it at two handed with the response.

Big Steve,

I presume it's the two hands pinch record that you have had eyes on for years, and I'm sure you will get it. Good luck!

Mikael,

You really piss me off sometimes, in fact most times!

You are so biased with your quotes. Yes I am stronger in the right hand on v-bar and grippers, but stronger on my left hand with one hand pinch and hammer, but I don't see you putting out any fair information. On the euro pinch set up I do about 50k ish with one hand.

You make out that this is some kind of plan. Yes I really want to have surgery and not be able to use my arm. As far as lifting under adversity, remember a few years back when I still came over to Sweden just a few weeks after my dad died to compete at your LGC, with no training under my belt! Then you allow Benny another lift because he dropped the Rolling Thunder, after asking me, then saying 'you wouldn't have wanted to win it that way'! This is from a man who is a stickler for rules. haha. When they suit!

I think that your comments are always a bit too personal, and I feel that you and I have run our course.

Anyway, I have put a lot of effort into this contest, obviously too much training, hopefully everyone will have a good time. We in Stafford will try our best to make your stay a good one.

David

why not add special divisons for one hand lifts they will be records being they take place during a sanctioned event and david wont be left out and anyone wanting to add these lifts can do so . and set a new standerd in one hand lifts good luck with your rotor cuff david

Jim W has already said he knows he cannot win with his damage but wants to see what he can do with the working arm. His other will be better, but not at it's best, on the day. David will be able to do some work with his working arm, but none at all. If the people competing - no one else - is agreeable and we go forward with a two hand event (as is) then like Jim I'd like to see what David could have done with the working arm. To my mind, and as per a chat with David, it gives an athlete - one who competes - a chance to see where they are.

I know that I would have been mightyly pissed off if, as I am, I had invested time, effort and some money in working my arse off training for this event only for an injury to take that away. That's why I made the suggestion - I know how'd I feel.

If the concensus is - stay with a two hand event - then so be it. I'd prefer to see comments kept to a minimum. The question is still the same:

One hand or two. I think Big S and Franky have answered 2 hand. Anyone else?

Mikael,

You really piss me off sometimes, in fact most times!

You are so biased with your quotes. Yes I am stronger in the right hand on v-bar and grippers, but stronger on my left hand with one hand pinch and hammer, but I don't see you putting out any fair information. On the euro pinch set up I do about 50k ish with one hand.

You make out that this is some kind of plan. Yes I really want to have surgery and not be able to use my arm. As far as lifting under adversity, remember a few years back when I still came over to Sweden just a few weeks after my dad died to compete at your LGC, with no training under my belt! Then you allow Benny another lift because he dropped the Rolling Thunder, after asking me, then saying 'you wouldn't have wanted to win it that way'! This is from a man who is a stickler for rules. haha. When they suit!

I think that your comments are always a bit too personal, and I feel that you and I have run our course.

Anyway, I have put a lot of effort into this contest, obviously too much training, hopefully everyone will have a good time. We in Stafford will try our best to make your stay a good one.

David

David, over the years I have come to your defence on more occasions than I can remember, on this board and elswhere. Ask Arne if you don't believe me.

I do, however, refuse to lick anyones bum on this board.

When you refer to my posts as rubbish and nonsense you are setting the tone.

Posting where none was asked for or required is neither licking a bum or setting a tone. It's just unnecessary and intrusive. Don't be so suprised if it becomes irritating.

As far as lifting under adversity, remember a few years back when I still came over to Sweden just a few weeks after my dad died to compete at your LGC, with no training under my belt! Then you allow Benny another lift because he dropped the Rolling Thunder, after asking me, then saying 'you wouldn't have wanted to win it that way'! This is from a man who is a stickler for rules. haha. When they suit!

Yes I remember that competition David.

Benny pulled 85k very easily in his last attempt with the left hand. Held it for like five seconds and then dropped it in a deliberate way, obviously not remembering the rules which stated that the RT handle had to be lowered under control.

In the past LGC competitions we had allowed an extra lift for people that had never competed in the LGC if anything like this happened.

Today I would have judge differently.

Likewise, today I would not have given in to the pressure from you (and Kalle and Benny) in the fifth and last event, the one hand table top wrist curl, when neither of you managed to lift according to the rules (knuckle having to touch the table).

All of you should have scored zero in that last event.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Steve

A nice gesture on your behalf :bow

David,sorry to hear about the injury,they always suck,but you know more than anyone thats the price you pay for being on the edge and pushing yourself so hard year in and year out,but i dont think you would do it any other way and thats why you are a LEGEND :bow

This Competition will still be awesome and a chance to meet and hang out with great and very strong people,i just wish i was strong enough to put it on the platform like some of you guys you really are an INSPIRATION.

David i would be more than willing to chip in (AFTER your surgery and rehab)to send you to the next GGC or Champions comp as i am shure a lot of people would and i think PAT once touched on the subject and we all know that you have earned it not just as an athlete but also for the things you have done for grip in general.comps etc.

Andy and Gazza,

Many thanks for your kind thoughts. The words mean something!

My decision on the Champions is the comp will still be as it was (two handed), so let's get it on.

I will help out the mc and refereeing.

David