Inch Replicas

Roark

How about I send David one of the plate-loaded variety that I made myself?  It takes standard plates, and has a 2 1/2" inch handle.  Perhaps he could give me a FREE one year subscription to "Iron Grip" maazine!!  :p

John (sybersnott),

I'm always after various bits of equipment for my working museum/collection. But I do have a non knurled 2 1/2 " dumbell fashioned on the specs of the Inch bell. My best lifts on this are;

One hand deadlift 91k, both left and right hand. Have got 98 1/2k half way.

One hand clean 61k R/H

Pass 86k from right to left hand

Farmers walk with 2 x 61k for 80 feet.

Anyway, if you have something else you wanna swop for a suscription get in touch with me at:

david.horne2@ntlworld.com

Thanks, David

Guest baldy

All impressive lifts David. I am especially interested in the clean, I remember Steve G saying his buddy had done 118-120 lbs on one. Steve predicted that guy being the one to clean / continental and press / jerk the Inch replica.

Sounds like you are definitely in the running on the possible one hand to shoulder and overhead w/ Inch replica. Not to deviate too far from grip on this, but are you confident you could put a full replica overhead once you got it to your shoulder?

But 61k is still a long way from being 78k. We'll see. Yes, I may struggle on the overhead part as my best one hand jerk is 70k.

David

Guest baldy

17 kilos makes a big difference on the clean, but from the looks of your deadlift poundages on that handle your grip isn't the holdup. You might be able to make up part of that in just technique improvements on the clean. In fact, I would think you could continental a replica now if you are able to get a good clean on 61k.

As for the overhead part, that is another story. I am sure you can get it up to speed if the clean gets up to where you want it.

I wish you well on this, it would be great to see someone from this board put a replica overhead. I don't understand why more people don't train this lift (clean / continental and overhead with thick handle), it gives me such a feeling of satisfaction to put a heavy (heavy for me anyway) dumbell overhead. I couldn't imagine dealing with the weights you are using now, much less a full Inch replica. You need to talk Steve into training to put the Inch overhead as well, he could probably give you some healthy competition.

We had a play around on a few things tonight. The first thing we started off on was the Inch plate-loading dumbell. I high pulled to chest (couldn't turn it) 63 1/2k, and continentaled one handed to shoulder 71k. So with a bit more training I think the Inch weight of 78k would be there. But I was knackered when I got it to my shoulder and there was no press in me.

David

I doubt if my pressing or overhead strength would be sufficent. Even now and mentioned ages ago on this board my limit in the 2 hand seated barbell press is about 170 lbs for a single and 150+ for reps.

On the occasion of a visit by Alan Radley I tried a clean with 118 pounds and couldn't turn it either. Maybe with practise...

Guest baldy

Way to go on both the high pull and continental David. You are breathing down it's neck if you are within 7 kilos. I have one more question for you about this: When you put a thick handled dumbell overhead (not the clean / continental portion, just the overhead part) do you feel it working your grip / wrist in a way much different than a standard 1" dumbell handle? I ask because if feels harder for me to put a thick handle overhead. I don't know if it is because I am so tensed up on the handle or what. Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Steve, if you haven't tried a one handed push press or push jerk with a dumbell recently you will surprise yourself how much weight you can put overhead (with a little practice). I assume you don't train this movement since you mention your seated press, because that is apples and oranges from a one handed push jerk. Both put a weight overhead, but the comparison stops there (in my limited experience anyway). Seated press will build your shoulders, but it is an isolation movement compared to one hand overhead work. My 2 handed push press on a bar is not even a good indicator of what I can do with a 1 hand push press with a dumbell, for that matter.

I still think that either of you could continental a replica and put it overhead with just a little work. Both of you have the grip, it is just a matter of getting it all the way up and over.