Seeking Help For Next Year Program

Starkmann

I am pasting below an entry from my blog. It is my plan/plea for help for my prgram for next year. I am hoping for feedback to help me make the most of my first full calendar year of grip. Thanks in advance

====pasted from my blog==========

So, I have followed the gripboard newbie plan with fervor. I believe it is a good intro to grip but it not a plan for improvement overall. For me this light program has whet my appetite for grip. Now it is time for the first course.

Evaluation:

First I need to decide where I want to go with grip. For this purpose I am using the five categories laid out on page 11 of the '05 Iron Mind catalog. They break down like this: Crushing/Supporting grip, Pinch grip, Open Hand Finger strength, Extensors, Wrist Strength. I have to admit some of the things I need to focus on do not match the things I neccessarily want to focus on. Her is the priority I am going to break it down.

1) supporting - this is reason I got into grip in the first place. I need to be able to easily hold 500lbs and hopefully more by the end of '06.

2) wrist - I have had some wrist pain show up and go away. Wrist strength is very important in raw benching.

3) extensor - primarily because these are overlooked in so many programs and I consider them very important for overall strength development.

4) finger - this one goes on late just because it doesn't fit my primary needs right now. Look for it to climb over time as I achieve different goals.

5) pinch strength - this is not hug priority but I'm sure it will become more of one as I get my support strength up to par

Goals:

Supporting - at this time I can hold an olympic barbell with 350 lbs for a short time. I would like to clear 500 for at least 30 seconds. My long term goal (three years) would be 800.

Wrist - I think I will use the 300 lb wrist curl challenge as a goal. Based on the numbers I have seen in that I will not be able to do that in a year so lets say 185 in one year and 300 in two as a goal. I would also like to take reverse wrist curls up to 150 in one year and 250 in two. I will use levering as part of this program. At this time I have never done any levering so I don't know what my goals will be here. I will take suggestions here.

Extensor - I think the reverse wrist curl challenge above represents this the best. I have some of the expand your hand band from Iron Mind but I'm not sure person can really effectively max out with these.

Finger - this is low on the totem pole for now so I'm not going to put a really hard goal on this. Lets say a hub grab on a 25 lb olympic plate with each hand to deadlift.

Pinch - similar to above. I'll say two handed pinch of 2 45s and one handed pinch of 3 tens for ten seconds.

Tools:

At this time I have access to a weight room, CoC T and 1, Expand your hand Bands. I will be purchasing a sledge for levering (weight not yet determined). Additionally I have every intention of getting/making some thickbar dumbbells. This may not happen until this spring. I will lose access to my wrist roller when I move but I think I'll just make a new one and solve that little issue. Beyond that I'll take suggestions. I'm prepared to part with $100 between now and the beginning of this program and probably the same amount or a little more over the course of the next year.

Process:

This is where I need the most help. I'm thinking about hitting supporting/crushing grip one day and wrist/extensor on another. and doing each twice a week. For my supporting day I would do rack pulls with a barbell and hold it. Finger curls and plate pinches would also be a part of this day. Then on the other day do wrist curls, levering and reverse wrist curls. As mentioned before this is where I am seeking the most help.

So please give me a little feedback. I am looking forward to putting this program in writing and blogging it here. I plan to start this program with the new year, 2006.

If supporting grip is your main priority I'd say put some emphasis on it. Get a thick bar or DB's and deadlift, clean, curl, row, or hold that sucker 'till your fingers form the perma claw look. I'd do pinch work afterwards, or even on a separate day (with at least one day of rest in between). Thow in some wrist curls or wrist roller after the thickbar work, and levering after the pinch. On a side note, 150 on the reverse wrist curl? Do you mean reverse curl? Just cause a 150 reverse wrist curl is freaking otherworldly studly. Oh yeah, do some sand bucket or rubber band extensions afterwards to work your finger extensors and to act as a cooldown.

Edited by underdawg

thanks for the input, I will bare all of that in mind when desinging my program.

To answer your question, I was thinking of reverse wrist curl. However, if that is unreasonable I wil adjust it. That is part of why I put this out here, for help and for a reality check. What do you think is a more reasonable reverse wrsit curl?

Thanks

On an olympic bar I find anything over 50-60 lbs difficult for very many reps. I prefer just using the bar and going for 20+ reps. Dumbbells might be a little more comfortable for you to use though.

Your plan sounds decent. If you are interested in the functionality of a strong grip and not particularly interested in excelling at the "sport" of grip, then the following ought to do you fine:

What ever strength training you want to do followed by:

Oly bar power holds (I prefer a double overhand grip on these)

Some type of Pinch/thickbar

Wrist work (Lever, Wrist curl, etc...just be sure to work extension and flexion)

Do maybe 2-3 holds on the oly bar, 3 holds on the Pinch/thickbar, and 5 sets for wrist flexion and extension. Minimal rest between sets should get you done in 10-15 minutes.

Now..If you want to excel at the "sport" of grip..then I'm the wrong guy to talk to.

Good advice from both. Thanks.

Dawg - I will bear the reasonable constraints of reverse wrist curls. That would be an easy way to hurt oneself.

Sean - That's a good thought/question. I'm pretty new to this whole thing. At this time I certainly feel more attached to the applications of grip at this time. That doesn't mean that it may never change but in the mean time I will have to remember to take some cues from Farmstrength.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it all.