Bbb

John Beatty

On the caps-

I went to the closeout page from the website above & bought 12 gross of the Hooch caps for the contest, only $1.49 per gross. So of you want to train with the actual caps - there you go.

I'll allow a cloth or athletic tape to protect the fingers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Beatty

• Scott Styles

• jad

• George Champlin

I'm not going to be able to make it.  Hope everybody enjoys themselves.

Too bad, was looking forward to seeing you hotdog on the Blob Medley. I love your guys' Farmstrong website.

More news - all attending the BBB will be the first to see STRONG! magazine gear. The Screenprinter told me today that the goodies will be ready by the 21st. Not really looking forward to writing that check......

Adding to the prize list - my welder Jerry called this eve to tell me he made a 4.5" wrist roller to throw in the prizes.

I came up with a new product design which will be unveiled at the BBB. there will be at least one given in the prizes.

So many cool goodies......

Sounds great John! I hope to string together some PRs on that day and take 5th so I can walk away with some pirate booty. :)

I got my hooch bottle caps today. I don't think these are going to work very well without a cloth to protect the fingers. The problem is the bottom of the cap is splayed open so that it can be bent around the top of a bottle. This means that instead of applying force against the side of the cap, you are applying it against a metal edge. Here's an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.breworganic.com/media/Keg-n-Bottle/hooch-caps.jpg

I think either contestants should plan on using a cloth to protect their fingers or John should setup a collection at the local bar for used caps. My T-shirt was thick enough to let me bend one of the Hooch caps without cutting my finger.

It's also possible that I just need to man up :D

I have been going around to my friends bars and getting caps. The caps that have been twisted off are normal to bend, the ones that have been popped off are tuffy when you bend them through the already kinked spot. I have been studying how these things fold and I have learned a few things. Capology hehehe its neat how the hand can think though something.

Looking through the old posts I ran across a gallery where someone had bent the caps inside out. I was able to do that but had to use two hands. Quite a feat to do it with one hand IMO.

On the cap bending, I wrapped 2 laps of plain old athletic tape around the thumb & forefinger & there was no pain. I have a roll here & all are welcome to use it.

On a more annoying note, I have managed to catch the flu from my children, feel like total crap. They had it last week & I thought I'd slipped past it as I rarely get the flu. Sucks. I spent most of last night on the couch with the chills & hacking cough. Hopefully I'll be over it in the next day or two. On the plus side, very excited to get everyone here & play. Came up with some really cool 1st-5th plaques - homemade, so not too pretty, but cool.

I never tried the bottlecap thing until I happen to be at a place in China and saw one. I either grabbed a real tough one, or I am in deep shit on this. Probably deep shit :D

The bottle cap I bent last night was from a hard cider import from England.  I found a miller lite cap on the ground this afternoon and bending it was much, much easier.  Now that I know that, I think this event comes entirely down to practice quickly putting the cap in the appropriate part of the hand and crushing it without cutting myself.  I ordered 2 gross of caps from here:

http://www.homebrewit.com/

It only cost me $7 and they are based out of Indiana, so I should get them quick enough to practice the event 2 or 3 times.

If can just get on the score board for all events, I will be happy.  A lap with the plate hula might be feasible for me if the 25s are well chalked, easy ones and I'm worked up.  The scale weights are still intimidating, especially if the event is with 2 weights per hand.  I don't know if I can take 200lbs from the ground like that.

I just bought 4 bags to see test out at home

There is huge variance in bottle caps. I've noticed the ones on bottled soda is are pretty tough. The Hooch ones are pretty easy. I've got a coworker that can barely close a sport that managed to bend one.

I wish you all the best at what promises to be a real humdinger of an event! Can't wait to see the results!

I tried the athletic tape for the bottle cap bend tonight. It worked about as good for me as the cloth. The sticky residue the tape left on my finger also made it much, much easier to lift my block weights. Something to keep in mind when planning event order.

Shhhhh.....I was planning to tape my whole hand & put the Blob medley right after caps.......lol. I may go check the local hobby shop that sells homebrew supplies & look for tougher caps. The hooch ones are pretty soft.

I tried the athletic tape for the bottle cap bend tonight.  It worked about as good for me as the cloth.  The sticky residue the tape left on my finger also made it much, much easier to lift my block weights.  Something to keep in mind when planning event order.

John,

Hope you and the guys have a great comp.  :)

David

David-

Thanks very much!

Guys! Almost forgot - if you can, bring a folding chair. I only have 10-12 chairs, the bench & a big tire to sit on. There's plenty of space for more chairs, so bring one or two. See everyone in two days. My stinking flu is finally breaking, so we'll see how much I've lost in a week of not eating or training. Like I needed to get a bigger stomping than already planned...lol.

Last check in before the show. Prizes look great. STRONG! mag shirts 1st design will be available & look pretty cool. Shop is pretty clean & plenty of room. If anyone checks this before heading out, the parking will be along the front of my house & heading east one lot. additional parking one lot west of my house. Please do not park on the North side of the street, the neighbors are freaks & will throw a fit & try to bill me (or you) for landscape repair. Then I'll get thrown in jail for beating the neighbors. I plan to be drinking & overeating instead of sitting in county tomorrow night, so help me out.

Looks like its going to be a good comp., wish I could have made it.

Good luck to all, looking forward to hearing the results.

Some personal impressions-

Everyone was great overall. Very first impression as I was returning from the ice run at 10:40 am (contest start 1pm) was "Holy Crap, somebody's already here!" Travis & Ben were walking up to the door. So, from about 10:50 until 1pm, they were playing with stuff. I cannot even imagine how many grippers Ben closed through the day. Good guys (even though my chatting & playing with stuff put me a little off pace on prep). Next to roll up was Steve, Dave & Greg. Looked like I'd announces a Strongman show - the big men were here. Giving each other a hard time & a lot of laughing going on. As the rest of the guys rolled in, I knew it was going to be a fun day - everyone talking like old friends. Dave trying my tough old #3 (about 8-9 years old) & taking crap for saying it wasn't too bad. Can he even tell on something that easy?

Meet started pretty close to on time - I thank everyone for their patience with me, my first grip show both competing & running.

Grippers

1st - 3 way tie - Big Steve, Dave, Josh easy #4. Dave could not possibly have been closer with the hard #4 A playing card, maybe.

2nd- Ben RB300

3rd - Tie Greg & me on the easy #3

4th - Jerry - RB 210

5th - Travis, Neil, Scott - #2

More to come, must wash children.

Ben Edwards has a detailed log of everything that went down so I'll post more when he posts it. Right now I can't remember all the details but these were just some of my thoughts....

Dave M. : he shakes as hard as they say, he wasn't one of those dandies that tried to squish your hand but his hand is like granite and you could tell he could just melt your hand if he wanted to. He's the best in the world on grippers . He almost had that HARD #4. He showed me a great tip on bending and it was great to pick his brain on grippers. He also showed me a cool bottlecap trick. Other than the #4 domination and the bending clinic, the coolest thing I saw him do was during the plate hula: He did a boatload of laps, then held them in one hand for a good 5 seconds or so to rest his other hand :blink I'm guessing his thumb was hurting him??? Anyway, I looked over at my family and their jaws were on the ground and me and Ben Edwards looked across the room at each like, "WTH??" He's a heck of a nice guy.

Big Steve: Thickest hands and wrists I've seen in person. Shaking hands with him is a wide pinch activity. He totally dominated the contest. It was just unreal. He did the bottlecaps so fast that I think he threw the judge off. You had to fold 30 caps in 60 seconds. Steve was going through so fast that I think the judge forgot you had 60 seconds, not 30 seconds, and called time after 30. Steve did the whole run in 38 seconds I think and he even did an extra one or two because some weren't any good. He gave me so many tips yesterday I feel like I went to a grip clinic. He also took a victory lap around the room while holding the #4 shut :blink He bent stuff DU that most people don't have a prayer at DO. He's also hilarious. I almost spit my water up a couple of times. If he puts out a comedy DVD I'd buy one :D Very humbe and a super nice guy.

Gamidon: Freakin hilarious! Him, Dave, and Steve should have their own Comedy central show. He's the John Wooden of bending. He helped more people hit PR's yesterday than Quakers have oats. Very smart competitor. I was trying to get his opinion on events as much as I could because he seemed to have all the angles figured out. Also a very nice guy.

Ben Edwards: The guy's crush is unreal. He never gets tired. He took down an RB300 in the event after who knows how many gripper closes prior. He closed my Tetting Silver Crush GM with 1/8" mounting and a 3.25" spread and my MM2dud after the contest :rock He also hammered a BBSE in a hoseclamp set to parallel AFTER the contest. I tried it and it's a legit SE, not an MM3 grip-a-like. Very nice guy, gave me one of his super hose clamps that will hold anything and wouldn't let me pay him for it.

Travis M: Super guy and was setting PR's like it was his day job. He was bending blues prior to the contest and then comes in an just missed a G8 :blink . If I remember right he did it DU too :bow ??? Somebody please correct me if that's wrong. He'll melt one fresh. Look for him to be on the Red list before Christmas.

I gotta get to bed but I'll post more later after Ben posts his stuff. Hopefully it will jog my memory some. I'll have to see what turned out on my Mom's camcorder. Mine is still reading: retrieving data, do not vibrate??? I hope it worked.