Bbb

John Beatty

To all-

The BBB at Fat Bastard Barbell HQ is only a few weeks away. I would like to nudge anyone that is thinking about coming to make the trip. You'll meet some monsters of the grip world Dave M, Greg A, Steve M, have a great time & get to play with all the toys I have while eating too much & enjoying a great day.

Currently only 9 guys, so the odds of taking some pretty sweet one of a kind FBBC products home are high. Plus the fact that I suck & my training partners are even worse at grip really increases your odds.

Oct 22, 2005 at 1pm - don't miss it!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Beatty

• Scott Styles

• jad

• George Champlin

Currently only 9 guys, so the odds of taking some pretty sweet one of a kind FBBC products home are high. Plus the fact that I suck & my training partners are even worse at grip really increases your odds.

Oct 22, 2005 at 1pm - don't miss it!

Thats great, this way I wont come in 15th place, I am already up to 9th :D The thickbar and plate pass, I will totally fail on, I tried bending a week ago and I am having troubles bending reds right now. I have zero explosion and a whole lot of pain and fear, not good... There will be monsters there, I am just not one of them, Dave, Steve, Beatty, and Brian S however are...

Dave, Steve and I will be driving up that day. Should be there by noon, send me a PM with a cellphone number or phone I can call if I get lost :) Dave and I will bring a bunch of grippers.

Greg

Greg will you guys bring that new MM5 with the sharp knurling? I've heard a lot about the new knurling. I'll bring all mine. I will thoroughly enjoy watching Dave put the smack down on some of the ones that are currently out of my league.

I'm still debating whether I can make it.

I'll be there and bring all my grippers with me. Looking forward to meeting all the monsters!

Doc please stay home, you would probably just embarass yourself on the blob medley :D

Doc please stay home, you would probably just embarass yourself on the blob medley :D

YA, I agree, Doc will put me into 10th place for sure :D Heck Doc I will gladly come in 10th for a chance to meet you. Hope you can make it.

JAD we have a GM and ELITE and a SE with the sharp knurling, I will see if Dave can bring the MM5 I think it belongs to Kevin Bussi.

Greg

Directions

from the north or south - interstate 57 to 45 (Pesotum) interchange. North on 45 into Pesotum. Go to the last left turn just before the storage place. Go through the stopsign (1 block) to the alley (one house past the stopsign). go left, then a quick right (the alley is only one house wide). then 1/2 block down. grey house next to the new construction. Only place with a building out back. Park either in the lot just before my place, in front of my house, or on the last empty lot past the house going up. Our neighors across the street are a little nutty & freak out if anyone parks on their lot.

From the east or west 74 to 57, then see above.

Are we competing in the building or will this be an outdoor event? Just curious as to how to dress since it will be in late October. Thanks

Inside, but if it's nice we can move outside. If I get my ass in gear I may have a woodburner set up - have the burner now, just haven't run the chimney out through the roof. I, strangely, don't have a lot of spare time...

I'd definitely like to make it - the trek is a good 4.5 hours, but to get to meet everyone in person (and see Greg again) would be a great time. It won't help that I've been slacking on all grip training except my meager gripper work for the past 2 months, safely securing me a bottom position. Nonetheless, I'll know this week if I'll be able to make it down. The only tough point is that I don't usually get up before 10 AM, so I'll have to be up bright and early for the drive (basically, meaning I have to get my odd-scheduled ass out of bed at the time that 99% of the rest of America does!) I'll keep you posted!

Ryan

I talked my fiancee into renting a car and driving down last night. I don't know how competitive I'll be, but it'll be great to meet and learn from everyone.

I'd love to come and meet everyone but I'll be hanging on a rock face in West Virgina. So many fun things to do - so little time! I met John at the Arnold Classic, conned him into loading a session of the Olympic lifting, probably still mad at me < < . He's a big, strong son of a gun, that's for sure.

Oh fellows - Doc can't really lift the Blob - it's all done with smoke and mirrors - watch him close and you'll see. :D

get up before 10 AM, so I'll have to be up bright and early for the drive (basically, meaning I have to get my odd-scheduled ass out of bed at the time that 99% of the rest of America does!) 

I HATE waking up in the middle of the night! :happy

I met John at the Arnold Classic, conned him into loading a session of the Olympic lifting, probably still mad at me.

I'd do it again next year. Big fun & the best seats in the place!

I tried some of the events today, oh boy am I in over my head. I'd appreciate some ideas for how to prepare for the scale weight lift and an example of how to do the bottle cap bend.

If you're on the fence about going, but don't think you can keep pace with some of the monsters competing, I'd sure love some competition around my level :D

3" dumbell - I don't have one, so I put a piece of 3" pvc over an olympic dumbell. I've got to use a thumbless grip with my wrist cocked to do any damage at all. The most I was able to do is 75lbs, including the weight of the impliment. This was straddling the dumbell and lifting it to crotch height.

Bending - With some new wraps and double overhand I was able to get a piece of 7" 1/4 round hrs. I'm not clear if all fbbc stock will be used or how it will be compared. I know I can hit a 6" piece of 3/16" square or a grade 2 bolt. Not sure if I can hit a piece of 7" 1/4" round FBBC stock. With guys like Gregg thinking 7" 5/16 round or nothing, it might not matter.

Grippers - I left the windows open in my apartment and by the time I got to these, my hands were a little numb from the cold. I couldn't even hit my BBM. I still got my #1, at least. I'm sure I could have done my harder BBSA as well. I've hit my #2 in the recent past, but I don't know if I can be at that level in 2 weeks. Either way, I'm going to bring gloves to wear between events and keep my hands warm.

Block weight medley - The heaviest I can get is my 30lb hex. I've got a 35lb blob but cannot lift it. Not sure what weights this event uses, but I might get one or two blocks loaded.

Plate Hula - After the other stuff, I only managed to get my 2 25s off the ground righty. I just recently worked up to pinching these and they are easy plates, so I'm not sure how I'm going to hula John's plates I have no experience with.

Scale Weight Lift - I don't even know how to simulate this one. I'm not confident I'll be able to get them off the ground. I'd love some ideas on how to test this.

Bottle Cap Bend - I know how to do this with two hands. Try as I might, I couldn't do it with one. Not sure if it is a technuiqe issue or a strength issue.

not sure bout how to train for the scale wieght lift, but the cap bends, just put the cap tween your first finger and thumb and squeese them.

i beleive FBBC stock is gonna be used.

Ok, thanks to Dave's advice, I tried again and managed to bend my one and only bottle cap. I was trying to do it with just my pointer and finger and thumb. I had to do it by making a fist, putting the cap sideways between my finger and thumb, and pushing on it like I'd push a button on a remote control. It didn't go until I put a layer of cloth around it to minimize the chance of cutting my thumb. Assuming that's legal, I think I can get something done in this event. I need more bottle caps to practice on.

My concern around the bending is more a question of whether or not John will have the weaker FBBC stock available. Especially now that the day has worn on and it is clear to me that double overhand still aggravates my bad shoulder. Later this week I'm going to see what I can bend double underhand. It's not like I'm contending for prizes, so hurting myself to bend something a little better is a poor choice.

Something I'm not clear about on the scale weights is the total weight being lifted. The entry form leads me to think it is 2 50lb scale weights in one hand. Posts I've seen make me think it is 4 50lb scale weights, 2 in each hand.

The bottle cap I bent last night was from a hard cider import from England. I found a miller lite cap on the ground this afternoon and bending it was much, much easier. Now that I know that, I think this event comes entirely down to practice quickly putting the cap in the appropriate part of the hand and crushing it without cutting myself. I ordered 2 gross of caps from here:

http://www.homebrewit.com/

It only cost me $7 and they are based out of Indiana, so I should get them quick enough to practice the event 2 or 3 times.

If can just get on the score board for all events, I will be happy. A lap with the plate hula might be feasible for me if the 25s are well chalked, easy ones and I'm worked up. The scale weights are still intimidating, especially if the event is with 2 weights per hand. I don't know if I can take 200lbs from the ground like that.

Scott-

The scale wt hold is just one hand now. After I got the second pair of scale weights, I found the handles to be much different & narrow - didn't match up too well. So only one hand. The caps will be speed & endurance, after 10-15 caps, the fingers will get fatigued.

Ok, thanks to Dave's advice, I tried again and managed to bend my one and only bottle cap.  I was trying to do it with just my pointer and finger and thumb.  I had to do it by making a fist, putting the cap sideways between my finger and thumb, and pushing on it like I'd push a button on a remote control.  It didn't go until I put a layer of cloth around it to minimize the chance of cutting my thumb.  Assuming that's legal, I think I can get something done in this event.  I need more bottle caps to practice on.

My concern around the bending is more a question of whether or not John will have the weaker FBBC stock available.  Especially now that the day has worn on and it is clear to me that double overhand still aggravates my bad shoulder.  Later this week I'm going to see what I can bend double underhand.  It's not like I'm contending for prizes, so hurting myself to bend something a little better is a poor choice.

Something I'm not clear about on the scale weights is the total weight being lifted.  The entry form leads me to think it is 2 50lb scale weights in one hand.  Posts I've seen make me think it is 4 50lb scale weights, 2 in each hand.

I'll have everything frim 3/16 round up......it is at the headquarters of FBBC after all.... :D . If I don't have it, I'll just cut some up.

I'm not going to be able to make it. Hope everybody enjoys themselves.