Painkillers, Massages And Painkillers!

David Horne

With 6 1/2 weeks to go till the Champion of Champions grip comp I am riddled with niggles and injuries, and one of them is real bad. My shoulder is so bad, I am having trouble sleeping. Any forward movement is giving a very deep jabbing pain! I can't fathom out how I did it or what it is. Let's hope it can start to quiten down.

I also know Big Steve's got some niggles and pains. Also Nick has a bad back, along with Steve Gardener, and of course Jim is one handed!

Wow, there is gonna be a lot of painkillers being used on the 12th just to get through the comp!!

Oh isn't competing fun! :laugh

David

That sucks :(

I hope everyone will be in top shape for the competition, the "champion of champions", whoever it will be, should not get an easy title I think ;)

Edited by Zakath

I've never had the niggles before. Is there a cream for that? ;)

Hope all you guys come into this contest healthy enough to hit some PR's.

Don't let Big Steve tell you he is hurt - I am willing to put money on the fact that he'll be performing insane feats of hand strength way after the contest is over. If he is hurt, he doesn't show it!

You lost me with the niggles, but for everything else, I suggest deep tissue massage and chiropractic. I had a bad wrist before GGC, got an adjustment of my upper back, shoulders and wrist and felt great for the day of the event.

-Jedd-

I'm starting notes what what all the big guns are doing for better performance - so far it's deep tissue, chiro and ice cream - keep em coming fellows.

I have myself adjusted before all the competitions now and it's a 'trick' I learnt the hard way a while back. I also touched on this subject many a year back and those on the way up could learn from this - we try to operate outside the comfort zone and take our bodies into places others do not.

Right now I still have the bulging disc and even helping unload 8 pallets of cardboard today after having trained my arse off Tueday and due to do the same later today (it's v early Thursday morning as I type) will not have helped. I can only hope the many Ibuprofen I take does.

After tests the doctor told me that I have injured my Rotator Cuff muscles, also maybe the deltoid as well, but the bicep is fine. He has given me some stronger anti-inflamatory drugs. We shall see how it goes.

Graeme,

Yes he does, he's a good doctor who has kept care of me for 20 years. He also knows I have a contest in 6 weeks.

He's offered a scan, but this will take 6 weeks to come through. Hopefully it will be fine by then.

David

Acupuncture.

Temp relief at best - don't rate it that much.

As far as I've experienced, you are incredibly incorrect.

I was due to have surgery on my knee several months ago, based on multiple fractures to it. It had swollen or something, and the cap had enlarged in a way that they told me it wouldn't return to normal on its own. My family doctor told me the surgery would have consisted of scraping the excess bone off.

Instead, I went the acupuncture route and never looked back. I guess it might depend a lot upon the acupuncturist, but acupuncture is very effective. When anything happens to me now, I just get acupuncture.

-TennisDude

Well I'm in big trouble. I've got my arm in a sling now after hearing my shoulder tear today. I can hardly move my arm and am in big time pain! Should have listened to everyone who was saying don't train, and I go on holiday tomorrow with my bloody arm in a sling. Sheesh, great!

Anyway, don't do as I do, if you have an injury back off!!

This doesn't look good at all.

Signed, a stoopid David

Well I'm in big trouble. I've got my arm in a sling now after hearing my shoulder tear today. I can hardly move my arm and am in big time pain! Should have listened to everyone who was saying don't train, and I go on holiday tomorrow with my bloody arm in a sling. Sheesh, great!

Signed, a stoopid David

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your injury! But I still got hope left that you WILL get better in time, and you will organize a great contest!

Perhaps this will even out the odds at the competition :tongue (that's a compliment :))

Take care.

Edited by Zakath

Acupuncture.

Temp relief at best - don't rate it that much.

As far as I've experienced, you are incredibly incorrect.

I was due to have surgery on my knee several months ago, based on multiple fractures to it. It had swollen or something, and the cap had enlarged in a way that they told me it wouldn't return to normal on its own. My family doctor told me the surgery would have consisted of scraping the excess bone off.

Instead, I went the acupuncture route and never looked back. I guess it might depend a lot upon the acupuncturist, but acupuncture is very effective. When anything happens to me now, I just get acupuncture.

-TennisDude

Years ago, as a result of a punch up / fight my knee swelled up and stayed that way for ages. Eventually it was just drained with a syringe.

Signed, a stoopid David

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping it would hold out, as per our MSN chat, till you went. SO REST, REST, REST.

Sorry to hear that David.Terrible news.

Was looking forward to seeing you compete

He hasn't said he wont...

Thanks guys.

I was training with Nick, and I should have learned by now to heed injuries! Anyway, I'd got to the end of the workout and was doing L-fly's with a 1 1/4kg disc! It was on the 5th rep and it just tore, Nick thought I'd farted by my face. The shoulder went numb for a few seconds, and thank goodness it came back to life, even with the pain.

Jim brought his sling round, of which I'm using and will be going to Spain tomorrow with. It's becoming a well travelled sling!

At this moment in time with 5 weeks to go, it doesn't look good to be able to compete, and it's my own stupid fault. I'd like to say I'll learn from this, but I probably won't!

Boy, isn't typing with one hand slow.

David

David - man - I am sorry to hear this - get well quick!

Years ago, as a result of a punch up / fight my knee swelled up and stayed that way for ages. Eventually it was just drained with a syringe.

This was different. Acupuncture is fantastic. Getting it done now for my lower back, and I have been having some stress-induced headaches. I can feel the difference in the back already, and I haven't had any headaches in a week. :D

Yes, those shoulders are a constant source of pain. I gave up bench pressing a long time ago and likewise I do no overhead presses.

I assume we were not meant to press things over our heads at all.

Its a shallow and very fragile joint.

Once I gave up any press movements, or any shoulder exercise for that matter, I have had no problems with the shoulders.

I suspect years of bench pressing sets you up for injuries in the shoulder area.

Get well David and drop those bench presses if you still are doing them.

Rehab,rehab,rehab....what a shame. Your health is more important, you MUST put that first!!

So sorry to hear about your injury...