Weight Belt.

Guest Canthar

54 members have voted

1. 1. Weight Belt.

• Yes
    • No
    • Only on heavy lifts

Many powerlifters get around this by doing all squats and deadlifts with the equipment, then doing heavy good mornings and such beltless. This way you get the best of both worlds- Strengthing the torso plus keeping proper form when using the belt.

I decided to reply to this message.

""Before you actually start to descend, you should inhale and suck in your stomach to activate the transverse abdominis

YIKES!!!  This is what causes injury.  You should never, ever, ever suck in on the stomach.  Breath into your belly then flex and force the abs out into the belt.  If anything, the belt allows the lifter to force his belly against it and helps him to stay tight.

Quote from Dave Tate, owner of Elite Fitness and member of Team Westside- "Filling your belly with air will also create a larger torso and give you a bigger base of support from which to drive.  Ever wonder why those with bigger waists squat so much?  Think about it.  We want as much tightness and support as we can get from the gross muscles of the spinal errectors, abdominals, and obliques."

As far as belt usage goes-I am with Bob.  Sure, i wear one when i go super heavy-it is as much a mental thing as a physical one and I dont cinch it tight.  But, i can handle all my contest weights without one so go figure.  I have used a weight belt since day one with my lifitng 13 years ago and today i can handle poundages in the 600s with bowed back goodmornings (another no-no :D )

Rick Walker :hehe

The powerful burst of air you suck into your lungs gives your body the extra oxygen it needs to power you through the squat.  This is what I'm doing now - deep breathing squats, and I can really feel the difference.  Read the book, "Super Squats" - it can go more into it than I can.