Weight Belt.

Guest Canthar

54 members have voted

1. 1. Weight Belt.

• Yes
    • No
    • Only on heavy lifts

Guest Canthar

Always hear different opinions on when to use and when not to use or even wether you should or shouldn't. Just interested in hearing what other people's opinions are on it. I just used one for the first time ever today and well I found the lifts I used it for easier then before as less support muscle's were used. I can see the help of the extra support when going for 1RM but other then that I think it will hinder more then help.

Canthar

I've heard both the pro's and con's of using a weight belt.  My response is if your prone to injuring your lower back, wear it.  If not, try and do without.  I'm doing some heavy workouts now without mine - didn't think I could do without it, but gave it a try and sure enough, I don't need it.  Also remember, in certain competitions IT'S A REQUIREMENT - so you may haffta work it in to your workouts, just to get used to wearing the belt.

Guest Canthar

Never thought about doing any competitions but will remember that if I ever consider one. Will prolly never use it save that reason. The building of various support muscles I think is very important.

Also remember, in certain competitions IT'S A REQUIREMENT - so you may haffta work it in to your workouts, just to get used to wearing the belt.

Name ONE.

The Sybernott Super Squat Special is where everyone wears

a belt, and only a belt...

I'm curious too, where is a belt required?

The Sybernott Super Squat Special is where everyone wears

a belt, and only a belt...

Ok, that is not a good mental picture Roark.  Next time please think of others before posting!   ;)

I think in the WWF, Wimpy Weightlifters Federation, all participants are required to wear belts, wraps, straps, shirts, and of course pocket protectors.  This way they are totally safe, all the while a pen is handy for calculating their totals........

My bad.  Glad you caught me on that one.  :)

The requirement is on the BENCH SHIRT (in certain benching competition/classes).... and NOT on a weight belt.  Sorry about that.  :(

See what severe grip training does to your mind!!   :hehe

Guest Canthar

Heh I'd die before anyone convinces me to put on a bench shirt or a squat suit. In my opinion that is not lifting if you can't lift it with what you have naturally then you can't lift it period.

Stike TWO Snott. Bench shirts are NOT required in any competition. Name one.

Wanna,

Boy!  You're really making me work for this one!  Before I put my foot in my mouth anymore.... let me dig up that source where I found it.  The source where I read it - AND I DIDN'T GET THE WHOLE ARTICLE - stated that it is considered a "safety" feature of the competition - although most participants don't like wearing them (i.e., they are bulky, uncomfortable, etc.).  I'll find it....   :(

That Author is totally full of it. The ONLY reason for a shirt is to lift more weight and they are really stretching things these days as evidenced by the multiple pec tear blowouts at the Arnold Classic.

Strike Three Snott! :)

In my objective opinion, all that gear some lifters wear is equivalent to entering a grip competition using straps. :crazy  It's sad that it seems to have become the norm to wear clothing that acts like steel springs for the weight. Why not allow proper steel springs, then, while one is at it?

Wanna.... I agree.  It was an article about bench press shirts, and whether or not they should be allowed in competition.  I'm still trying to find that article.  Basically the shirts allow MORE weight to be lifted than would normally be possible without it.  I think the article was in the magazine, "Powerlifting USA", but don't quote me on that.  :(

No competitions that I am aware of require a bench press shirt.

I have competed with a shirt and without a shirt. I like competing with the shirts better, if only for the reason that most of the guys out there don't have a clue how to use them right, and I can get alot out of mine.

From the shirts I have experience with (the single ply polyester), if you throw one on without any special training for it you'll get 0-40 pounds out of it. I get between 50-80. I have no clue because I haven't done a raw max since I started using the shirt. Also, to work right they usually hurt horribly, horribly bad.

It does take away somewhat from the "purity" of it when I think philosphically about it, but I'm sure the money from the equipment manufacturers means that it is here to stay forever, not to mention that the equipment has been around in one form or another since the 70's (knee wraps).

I do agree however that it gets kinda goofy when the "big benchers" typically bomb half of the time because they can't get the weight down to their chest.

I do agree however that it gets kinda goofy when the "big benchers" typically bomb half of the time because they can't get the weight down to their chest.

I agree and some have 6-700 on the bar!

Guest map12345

I don't understand why a preson would want to use any aiding equipment, such as a weight belt. What's the point in lifting something with a belt if you couldn't lift it in the real world?

-map

Wanna..... you tellin' us you can throw around a 600 - 700 pound BP?  YOU ARE SUPERMAN!!!..... now, I fear you!!!  :p

map- Because it's a competitive lift. You are never going to lay on your back and press, put a big weight on your shoulders and get up, or grab a heavy bar at shin height and pick it up in the real world.

To get the most out of the equipment you will be stronger in different areas- Someone who I outbench in a shirt may lift more than me without one, but I would most likely also outlift that same person in a partial bench press.

What it boils down to is that there are no real legitimate competitive arenas for powerlifters that choose not to use equipment. If you are the RAW national or world champion it is most likely because there was nobody else in your weight class.

I have to agree that the use of equipment is getting way out of hand in powerlifting. I hear that a bench shirt can put more than a 100 lbs on your bench if your lifting 550+. When a bench shirt adds 20% to your lift I start asking who's doing the lifting, the shirt or you? Shirts (and squat and deadlift suits) will only get better, what if one can automatically shorten, say when it detects a certain radio signal? What if a shirt adds 40% to your lift? Is that a test of the lifter's strength or the shirt's? I think they should have a bench shirt competition to see how much a shirt (with no lifter in it) could lift. In fact, I think that in the near future we will be able to make materials that can at our will alter shape, and so would be very useful in increasing powerlift poundages to astronomical levels. At this point, much of the financing for a meet will go towards detecting such illicit (I would assume they would be illicit) devices and materials.

The only solution I think would be to not allow any aids at all.

Of course then there will be the whole issue of genetically enhanced or altered humans and biomechanical enhancements.

Guest rockblaster

I have "evolved" out of using the weight belt.  I don't use knee wraps either.  I simply lift weights and make progress based on my body mechanics. I concentrate more on what I can do instead of what I can't do, but at the same time hitting the weak areas. I know everyone is different.  I do not compete and am not compelled to do so--too many rules, to many variables.  I now feel that if I need support to lift a heavy weight then I need to take it easy and work up at a slower pace.  For me, this is simply another step in placing no limits to what I can do--my way of living strong.

i dropped the belt from my routine some time back and i haven't regreted it for one second.  coupled with a lot of heavy work it has made my back bullet-proof.   for competition, that's one thing, but i wouldn't allow it to become a crutch i had to rely on every workout.  if you do drop it expect to have several people approach you every workout and tell you you should be wearin one.  i typically liked to laugh and tell them "no i shouldn't", then i got a walkman to drown all that crap out.

Guest map12345

bob...I see what you mean... but other than if you're in competitions, I don't see much of a point. I agree that you never actually symulate exercises, so thats why I only bother with focusing on the practical ones, deadlifts, military presses, rows, etc... and I've always had a little itch telling me that this isn't quite practical to use such easy to cotrol bars... so that's exactly why I became interested in grip work, so I can use more of my bb/db strength in the real world, because I will have a strong enough grip to handle awkward objects.

-map

IMO, to lift more weight is NOT the only reason for powerlifting equipment.  Bench press shirts, squats suits, wrist wraps, knee wraps, & belts help protect the lifters joints/back when lifting heavy weights.  I think this will promote longevity in the sport and lessen injuries.  I think single ply poly powerlifting gear accomplishes this task.  Now multiple layer gear, denim, canvas, etc.......that's a different story.

From Iron man mag

The Mighty Squat

by Lorne Goldenberg

""Before you actually start to descend, you should inhale and suck in your stomach to activate the transverse abdominis, which is your body’s natural weightlifting belt. If you learn to use it properly, you increase intra-abdominal pressure, which will have an unloading effect on your disks.1 As with any other muscle, if you don’t use it, you lose it! I’m not a proponent of lifting belts because wearing one tends to cause dysfunction of your transverse abdominis, which can eventually lead to serious injury. A weight belt inhibits your nervous system’s ability to fire that muscle when it’s needed—not only for weightlifting activity but for normal everyday movements. That’s one reason you hear about bodybuilders who bend over to pick up something and all of a sudden they’re in severe pain. The injury was in the making for many months, if not years.''''

Something to think about!

G ;)

Good article, Gen, I agree with Goldenberg on this. When I was younger, I was a strong advocate of belts until I noticed that my lower back was always hurting,not an injury mind you,but just a nagging type of pain that disappeared when I stopped using belts. I was told by people wiser than me that this was due to weak lower back muscles! It was a wise man who stated that " Every type of support apparatus creates a weakness elsewhere". Later!

JJ