Levering

mobsterone

Levering - some random thoughts and ideas

As is my want in these matters I go back over any grip type material I have in the house and try, where possible, to look up the subject matter on sites like the Gripboard.

Today I was able to check out the Atomic Athletic Thors Hammer challenge on the GGC 2004 DVD set. It is easy to see certian tricks and techniques and how the rules for both the GGC and Champ of Champs event evolved.

Simply put the shorter the lever the easier to work the lever back and forth. The better athletes had their hands right down the bottom. I also noted that more than one allowed the hammers head to rest on their foreheads. More than one was giving the head a nudge forward - naughty.

One thing I noticed on the DVD and in my own training was the importance of flexibility of the wrist. The second is keeping the little finger or so-called 'pinkie' finger on the end of the handle. I found it easy to have the handle come down so low as for the finger to slip off. Keep it on. While the rest of the hand will grip and pivot the handle the initial few degrees of movement will come from the pull of this finger.

A major point taken from the video and a little experience of hammers at Iron Grip events (after the main competition is over) is the dropping of the arm adds momentum. By having the arm anchored or strapped down as is the rules at both this years GGC and the Ch.o.CH event this is removed. There might be some advantage in one or two portions of the movement in the arm being anchored - I'll know soon enough come November. Also worth mentioning from both David Horne's grip course and various other sources is 'Slim's' work. In more than one image he has his forearms and wrists on the floor or on a pad on the floor. No momentum and so harder. Working it the hard way means you'll do crazy shit with heavy weights when standing up / free armed.

The three keys, as is true in many events and during training, is (1) to make it as hard for yourself as possible and to (2) break down the movement into it's componentsand (3) work the weak point twice as hard as the rest of the range.

Right now I am using the brick wall outside in my garden. I have the setup I have pictured on the gripboard and allow the underside of the loading pin to 'kiss' my forehead. On more than one occasion I realized that while my arm was nice and flat on the wall I was sitting up high by comparison and so my head was higher than it needed to be. This shortened the movement somewhat and so I remind myself to get my ass down. I get a kitchen drying cloth and put it on the wall. I fold up a few inches at one end and set my hand there. I position the handle so that my hand is right down the bottom as far as I can get it. I then lower it to my head. Worth mentioning is the having to control the swaying from side to side. Answer is 'do not take your eyes off of it'. Seriously. When I have trained and lifted before I will switch off the world and this can include shutting your eyes. Not good for this lift.

If there's anything anyone think ought to be added please email/pm me and I'll edit and update.

I get a kitchen drying cloth and put it on the wall.

I'm betting that you put that tea-towl back in the kitchen and use it for the drying up later on Mobster ;)

I half take it back ha ha. However, MSN chats with David tell me otherwise. He did mention your 1" 160+ kilo v bar. Good lift.

I tell you I love how my competition never ever has a diary. Never.

Some guys don't like ta brag... unlike you! :D

I tell you I love how my competition never ever has a diary. Never.

Some guys don't like ta brag... unlike you! :D

Your ever helpful levering tips add to the broad article 'wot I wrote'. Not. To mis-quote Ronnie Coleman when asking Gunter 'what have either of you done lately?'