A Question Re: Record Attempts

Jedd Johnson

If there are less than 5 competition attempts, it will not be exactly comparable to the actual euro records. But it will be interesting nonetheless!

Oh and the pressure for Theo was immense in the vbar (having failed his first 4 attempts he still managed to get gold!). so records in competition are definately subject to additional pressure, and harder to set!

Edited by the swiss

Thanks rafter man!! It was indeed pretty stressfull :cry

Edited by DuTCH

I think it is pretty clear that an extra attempt for the leader will not be allowed in the current record books.

However, I never realized there was such variation among number of attempts in the European contests.

Interesting.

-Jedd-

I believe that Kevin Fulton has historically allowed record breaking 4th attempts that don't, however, count toward the score of the event. This is done just because it is damn fun and adds some excitement to the contest.

At any rate, I don't see that the psychology of the lifter is so polarized between a 4th attempt that's part of the contest, and just a extra 4th attempt that doesn't count for the actual scoring. But if the psychological advantage is so great for the guy who does an 'extra' 4th attempt, why would we not want to use that standard?

BC.

However, I never realized there was such variation among number of attempts in the European contests.

Interesting.

-Jedd-

The LGC has always had five attempts. The 2004 and 2005 European championship had five and all the IG had three.

I would like to see a European standard on this and perhaps a World Standard.

Maybe four would be a good compromise, reducing the total time for a competition but still offering a buffer against bombing out.

4 rocks. But will the fourth count toward to contest? Or is it just for record breaking.

I think WR attempts should be allowed - someway, somehow, outside of the standard number of attempts. I understand the issue of time constraints but I don't think it should matter when an attempt is taken. The reason "we" don't recognize WR's in training is because the attempt needs to be verified, plates calibrated, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

4 rocks. But will the fourth count toward to contest? Or is it just for record breaking.

We will implement 4 attempts as a new standard for the LGC competition and the Europeans. I don't know if the Diesel Crew will switch to four attempts this year or use it for next years competition.

To establish a standard for LGC, Euros, GGC - we will all use 4 attempts. This must be done to align all the majors.

Thank you for everyone's input - and ultimate resolution.

Four attempts within the contest but no further record attempts outside of these four.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Agreed. Thiw is how this should work - good discussion, guys.

-Jedd-

I think 4 attempts is a good number and I'm glad everyone is looking to establish a standard.

Just to play devils advocate though, let me pose a hypothetical situation...

Let's say I've taken my 4 attempts and I want to try for a WR just for the hell of it. I do it on my own time as to not slow the contest up. Say I make it, someone records it and posts it on the board. What's everyone's feelings on this? How is this "lift" regarded?

Again, this is a hypothetical situation, WR's are safe with me but if I want to try for a PR on the side, I doubt anyone will have a problem with me doing it. But if it's a WR attempt...

?

Just my two cents but that would just be like doing it in the garage with witnesses. A great acomplisment but not a WR.

I think 4 attempts is a good number and I'm glad everyone is looking to establish a standard.

Just to play devils advocate though, let me pose a hypothetical situation...

Let's say I've taken my 4 attempts and I want to try for a WR just for the hell of it.  I do it on my own time as to not slow the contest up.  Say I make it, someone records it and posts it on the board.  What's everyone's feelings on this?  How is this "lift" regarded?

Again, this is a hypothetical situation, WR's are safe with me but if I want to try for a PR on the side, I doubt anyone will have a problem with me doing it.  But if it's a WR attempt...

?

I'd regard it as a hell of a lift. If you are keeping something up your sleeve Dan, bring that shit out at the contest in live competition, brutha!!!! :rock