California State Iron Grip Championships

ironwarrior

:D:mosher

Hey all Gripsters! Time to put the hands to the handles again, blow the dust off the COCs...I'll be hosting the 1st Annual CALIF STATE IRON GRIP CHAMPIONSHIP on November 12, 2005 at the Power Palace in Chatsworth (L.A. area). 6 events will be contested, not necessarily in this order:

WRIST ROLL (75 LBS, 5 FT VERTICAL DISTANCE, TIMED)

IM ROLLING THUNDER

IM HUB (just for you Mike)

PLATE PINCH

IM APPOLONS AXLE DEADLIFT

COC's (HELD CLOSED FOR TIME)

NAKED GIRL CURL (OOPS THAT'S 7, GONNA HAFTA DELETE THAT ONE)

WEIGHT CLASSES WILL BE: 150, 175, 200, 225, 250, 250+

Awards 1st thru 5th each weight class plus individual event awards (top 3 overall)

"Good Hands" Sculptured Grip Award for Best Gripper of the meet

Power Bars and Gatorade after the comp, or would you all prefer pizza and beer? Lemme know...

FOR INFO AND/OR ENTRY FORM PLEASE EMAIL ME AT warrior01@earthlink.net

Kevin Meskew

ps- contest open to new Mexicans and other foreigners...

:mosher:mosher

Edited by ironwarrior

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ironwarrior

• Hubgeezer

• handgripperman

• supermagnamon

Only 6 events this time :( what about the pinch block, 500lb trap bar hold for time :(

Edited by handgripperman

Although I can't come, I would vote AGAINST the pinch block!!!!!! hahaha

I think Passman and Bussi will tie for first overall, with Kevin possibly taking first because of the gripper event.

Although I can't come, I would vote AGAINST the pinch block!!!!!! hahaha

I think Passman and Bussi will tie for first overall, with Kevin possibly taking first because of the gripper event.

C'mon, give us some odds, I know Vegas would have it on their board if the knew about this contest...and no one's chimed in yet about the post-game menu.

OHHHH CLAY, YOU'RE NOT COMING, THEN PINCH BLOCK IT IS...NO COC's!!!!

Only 6 events this time  :(  what about the pinch block, 500lb trap bar hold for time  :(

After a near-bombout and seeing you guys lose about 5 inches in height from when you first walked thru my doors, I couldn't stand the guilt!!!

:flame:flame

Only 6 events this time  :(  what about the pinch block, 500lb trap bar hold for time  :(

After a near-bombout and seeing you guys lose about 5 inches in height from when you first walked thru my doors, I couldn't stand the guilt!!!

:flame:flame

Upon further review, a request has been made to hold the contest a week later (guess that would make it the 19th...). Evidently Dan H has let his meat loaf a bit too long (no pun intended). No, it seems he has yet ANOTHER wedding to attend, on the 12th, (he must attend weddings as a 2nd hobby; he missed my CURL MANIA contest in July for the same reason). Just "effing" with ya Daniel, I'm flexible (just ask my wife), is that date OK for the rest of you?

:online:mosher:online

I am about 75% certain I will be going, and the date does not make much difference to me, even though I am insulted that no one has made the astute observation that I am a first place contender.

Hubgeezer

I am about 75% certain I will be going, and the date does not make much difference to me, even though I am insulted that no one has made the astute observation that I am a first place contender.

Hubgeezer

That's 'cause no one knew of my plan to change the events...in this order:

1. Hub either hand

2. Hub right hand

3. Hub left hand

4. Hub blindfolded

5. Hub curl

6. Hub pulldown

now is that astute, or what???

:upsidedwn:unsure:trout:tongue:rock:rolleyes:shifty:sleep:phone:online:ohmy:mosher:inno:kiss:laugh:mellow

Last year's contest was a blast. I really hope people in that area can make the time to check out Kevin's gym. It is a small place but there is a ton of great equipment in there. And if you get the chance to watch Kevin eat at a charrascaria, you will be amazed to see a grown man eat his bodyweight in steak! hahaha

The 12 events format was brutal and by the end of the day we were all spent. I liked it because it rewarded you for not only being strong, but conditioning your hands for all-day abuse such as that. Knowing you guys, I doubt the grip stuff will stop after the contest. Heck, last year we were gripping, bending, tearing, and armwrestling BEFORE the contest!

PS - Kevin (ironwarrior01) I sent you an email about trophies. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Edited by ClayEdgin

count me in. i'm putting my vote for pizza and beer.

Last year's contest was a blast.  I really hope people in that area can make the time to check out Kevin's gym.  It is a small place but there is a ton of great equipment in there.  And if you get the chance to watch Kevin eat at a charrascaria, you will be amazed to see a grown man eat his bodyweight in steak! hahaha

The 12 events format was brutal and by the end of the day we were all spent.  I liked it because it rewarded you for not only being strong, but conditioning your hands for all-day abuse such as that.  Knowing you guys, I doubt the grip stuff will stop after the contest.  Heck, last year we were gripping, bending, tearing, and armwrestling BEFORE the contest!

PS - Kevin (ironwarrior01) I sent you an email about trophies.  Let me know if you didn't get it.

>>>And if you get the chance to watch Kevin eat at a charrascaria, you will be amazed to see a grown man eat his bodyweight in steak! hahaha

Heck, eating your bodyweight in steak ain't so hard if you only weigh 88 lbs!

thought for the day- if Clay farts and no one is around to hear it, does he still make a sound???

:laugh:laugh:laugh

count me in. i'm putting my vote for pizza and beer.

Vote counted...P&B 1, PB&G 22 (maybe someone has stuffed the ballot box?)

:bow

Count me in, save the 5th place trophy for me, even if there is only 3 competitors.

Did you get the pictures I emailed you, or was the file to large. Let me know before the meet so I can put them onto a cd if you need. I will also try to recruit Adam, eventhough his grip is now stronger than mine.

Count me in, save the 5th place trophy for me, even if there is only 3 competitors.

I was thinking, Lancaster, Lancaster, I seem to remember someone from Lancaster once...

Then I remembered...AH HAH! You were in one of Kevin's contest, the one in March of 2004. I remember you walking off in a funk because you did not pull the Hub(I think it was 35), I spoke up and told you to go back because you would get it after anonther attempt or two, you went up, and you did. That was you, right?

I was the old

Hubgeezer

I'm a possible.Depends if my sons football team gets to the playoffs.

And you guys should be aware of hubgeezer stealing the show. If youv'e kept an eye on his recent RT and hub lifts he will defenitly be the man to beat.

I was thinking, Lancaster, Lancaster, I seem to remember someone from Lancaster once...

Then I remembered...AH HAH! You were in one of Kevin's contest, the one in March of 2004. I remember you walking off in a funk because you did not pull the Hub(I think it was 35), I spoke up and told you to go back because you would get it after anonther attempt or two, you went up, and you did. That was you, right?

I was the old

Hubgeezer

Thats it you got me. You have a very sharp memory and I meant tho thank you for your words of inspiration. :bow My training has not my greatest priority lately, but I have already started to change my priorities.

• 4 weeks later...

It turns out, I cannot make it November 12 or 19. I have been in contact with the expelled-from-this-board-Meat-Loaf. He was asking me whether I was going or not. Dan never did like old people, I am not sure why the change of heart, but anyway, I mentioned to him that if it was Thanksgiving Saturday, November 26, both my son and I could go. Although Dan has a strongman contest two weeks into December, he was completely open to it the 26th of November.

I had a message from Zach, and he will not be competing.

Has anyone signed up yet with Kevin Meskew? I have not contacted Kevin. What is the interest level for this contest? Steve, would your son's playoffs go this far? I think I will be at Steve's, with my son, as we know which weekends my son has off and which he works.

Handgripperman, you were flexible on dates, I think? Supermagnamon, Fatboy? Is there anyone on this board who would like to come but has not spoke up here?

Minor details like, "I wonder what the contest promoter thinks of this idea" have yet to be explored. :tongue He is recently married, I doubt if his wife is flexible on Thanksgiving weekend. :erm

Hubgeezer

i'm going no matter what date it is on. i'm just hoping that i can win on either IM ROLLING THUNDER, PLATE PINCH and IM APPOLONS AXLE DEADLIFT events on that day. i haven't heard anything from Kevin, but I'll see him on Oct. 29 for the USPF meet for the Return of the Living Deadlift. hopefully, by that time, we should know the date and the entry fees.

Edited by supermagnamon

I could make the 26th Nov.date if it happens.

Mike the way it looks now my son's season will be over Nov.4th.Lots of injuries on the team. I have another commitment on the 19th that i made months ago.

What do you think Kevin about the 26th?

No one has spoken to our fearless leader and promoter, ironwarrior. Kevin's schedule may be such that the UPS workload goes through the roof the day after Thankgiving, and it may not work for him. It is his baby. Nice of everyone to chime in though, and I appreciate it.

Stay tuned?

Hubgeezer