Doing It To It--gripper Style

diesel

so i decided to continue my attempts at logging. i figure having some accountability to my workouts will help me claim my goals earlier. so here we go...

goal: HG300, IM3, BB Grand Master (order doesn't matter, just owning 'em)

Sunday workout consisted of all negatives, force closed for 3 secs, then squeezed as hard as i possibly could until my hand opened. the workout load was a little bigger than i usually do, but i was in the mood for a higher volume and gripper overkill.

IM3 X 5 (my 3 is as hard or even harder than my Elite...a true beast)

Elite X 5

BBGM X 5

SM X 1

After this i was feeling it real bad. I developed a blister on each pinky, so i taped them up and dealt with it. I was in the mood for some more pain, so i decided to do some more force closes. So i grab my IM2, squeeze as hard as i can (missed closes by 1/4 "), then used by non-working hand to force close the gripper. I held the 2 in my hand for approximately 10 secs...these were really hard, and i knew more than 1 set doing these on that day would not be the brightest idea. So after one set, i called it.

Finished off with the Yellow IM bands done for 54 reps (done to failure). A contrast bath helped the skin enormously.

Back at it Tuesday for less volume and more intensity.

Extremely busy day today..woke up for the dentist, had to get some suits fitted, eye exam, 9 holes of golf...barely had time tonight for a workout. got to the gym at around 10 (closes at 11), so i had to hustle to do both forearm and tricep work. For purposes of this board and log, I will only include grip/forearm related exercises and weights.

I started doing forearm specific work at the end of july, and have made some really good gains since. My weights used are small in comparison to a lot of the monsters on the board, but they are forward-going and show signs of progress. so here we go:

wrist curls (started end of july at 130 X 6)

115 X 15

130 X 10

140 X 5 (i had an incredibly awkward start on this set...really messed me up)

150 X 3

130 X 8

reverse curls (started end of july at 80 X 8)

70 X 10

80 X 10

90 X 10

95 X 5 (was beat from the previous set)

finished with some tricep work. all in all the workout was really rushed and found myself just throwing on weight as quick as i could..not my style. that third set on the wrist curls really was horrible though..just really awkward, enough to feel an uncomfortable pull in my left wrist). tomorrow i should be gripping and bicep-in up.

Grip and Biceps tonight

Warmup consisted of 11 no set closes on the Trainer

Negatives (all sets had the handles force closed for 3 secs)

IM3 X 6 (this beast wasn't so beastly tonight)

Elite X 5

Supercrushes (where i keep the gripper closed in my working hand, assisted by my non-working hand)

Super Master X 20 seconds with the right hand

Super Master X 12 seconds wth the left hand

Extensors

IM Blue X 10

IM Blue X 9

IM Yellow X 60

Biceps

shoulder width grip barbell curl:

80 X 10

90 X 10

100 X 8

115 X 8

130 X 4

6" distance between hands, done extremely strict; elbows tucked in at sides and at full extension (maybe a degree or two from it) at the beginning of each rep:

80 X 10

85 X 10

90 X 5

---------------------------------

In comparing notes concerning my reps with certain weights, I have definitely gotten stronger over the summer months. And I know for a fact my grip has gotten stronger also; while i haven't closed the next gripper up yet, i can now command my beast 3 and elite, shutting it each and every time, holding it each and every time. My Super Elite should be arriving very shortly, and i am hoping training with that will take me to new, desired level.

Got shoulders and legs tomorrow, grip Saturday.

So your "Supercrushes" are Overcrushes with assistance?

So your "Supercrushes" are Overcrushes with assistance?

yeah, pretty much paul...lemme explain though

i only do these at the end of my workouts, and at that time, my hands are usually shot, unable to perform overcrushes with my 'standard' overcrush gripper. so, i am taking a gripper that i know i cannot fully close at that time as my supercrush gripper.

i take the gripper, squeeze as far as i can go (tonight with the SM it was around 1/4 or less inches), then with my non working hand force close it. Mind you, I am squeezing as hard as i can possibly squeeze with my working hand; the assistance is strictly on a 'need basis.' If i can feel myself starting to let go, I push a little harder with my non-working hand. I do this until 1) I feel like there is just too much assistance going on to make it worthwhile, or 2) the pain just gets too much. with tonight's 20 second close with the SM on the righty, it was hurting quite a bit, and took a good minute or two of stretching immediately afterwards to get it feeling back to normal.

hopefully this helps. in the long run, i am not sure if it will work. i hope it does (i think it will), just because i am subjecting myself to stresses i have yet to experience with my hands. i limit myself only to one set of these right now, done at the end of the workout, because i am not sure my hands could take such a beating for too many more sets. i am my own guinea pig.

hope this helps man. any q's, lemme know.

I would do your Goal Grpper attempts first, Then Negs , then OC's sort of like you....it is fine to assist the OC's especially if it is too easy with the gripper below..and we are not quite strong enough for the next one up.

Your hands can take even more than you think they can..they are not like the muscles in the rest of the body!

Nice workout!!

Edited by pdoire

wasn't feeling so good today at the gym, so i ended up just doing some calf work and some lame shoulder lat raises...

a bit of good news though: got my Super Elite in the mail today! looks like an animal. going to chalk up tomorrow and give it a go. just in time too, right before i head back to college.

tomorrow we be grippin'

I would do your Goal Grpper attempts first, Then Negs , then OC's sort of like you....it is fine to assist the OC's especially if it is too easy with the gripper below..and we are not quite strong enough for the next one up.

Your hands can take even more than you think they can..they are not like the muscles in the rest of the body!

Nice workout!!

Diesel...great to see ya back buddy! Take P.D.'s advice and put that #3 away :rock

thanx Big T....that 3 disappears today...With the Super Elite, I will have a good negative gripper to use. I actually am not feeling good again today, i think a mix between allergy crap and overtraining, so i am going to play it by minute today and see how i am doing later on.

busy getting ready for school today too...gahhh.

thanx for the help guys, as always

so today was move in day at college...quite tired after hustling bags of clothes and goodies 4 floors up, but had enough in me to do my grip workout...so here it goes

No set closes Trainer X 15

No set closes IM1 x 5

SE Negs X 6 (held ranged from 1-5 seconds)

E Negs x 4 (held for 5-7 seconds)

HG250 X 3 (held shut for 5, 8, and 8 seconds)

Trainer X 27 reps (RH), 26 reps (LH)

first day working with the SE wasn't too bad. I was pretty pleased with some of my squeezes, and going from the SE to the E...holy crap...the E felt so nice compared to it. Hands feel really good; very happy with the workout today.

Will be back at it Wednesday.

wednesday: first day of classes (although my only one of the day was canceled)

last night we were having a bit of fun, some drinks, movies, and some goodl ol fashioned arm wrestling. the good part is that i won all the matches and had a great time. the bad part is that i had pulled something in my lower left bicep and forearm. not cool. so it is aching a bit, but you know what, i could care less. it gave me a little hassle with the negatives, but loosened up a bit at the end.

Warm Up:

No Set Closes Trainer X 15

No Set Closes IM1 X 5

Workout:

SE Negs X 5 (held for 7 seconds. on the last set, couldn't close it LH)

E Negs X 5 (held for 5-7 seconds)

HG250 X 5 (held for 8 seconds...3rd set LH, went down to the IM1)

Trainer X 71 RH

Trainer X 47 LH

Extensors

Blue X 13

Blue X 13

Yellow X 55

Green X 66

thanx Big T...i am liking em. no matter how screwed up it sounds, gripper pain is addicting (yes, my name is nick and i have a problem :blush )

so that armwrestling inflicted problem...yeah, acted up again tonight :angry: . I had just finished a back workout and was getting into some chest sets. i had 185 on the incline; i unracked it, and started lowering it down when all of the sudden the tendon (or whatever) just tightened on me. game over right there. i had the bar on my chest for about 10 secs...finally, with next to nothing in strength in my left arm, i just arched the back a little and pushed it up. my training session was over for sure.

well now the pain def went down. i am supposed to have a grip workout tomorrow and a forearm workout saturday. right now i am playing it by min...if i can hack it, i can hack it. cross your fingers and let's hope i can kick the steel dust tomorrow.

Ice that arm down and work some blood into the area with high reps. That should help get the inflamation down. It's easy to get carried away arm wrestling. I messed my shoulder about 3 months ago doing the same thing, and it still ain't right.

no lefty training today; still letting it heal up.

Warm Up:

No Set Closes w/Trainer X 15

Closes w/ IM1 X 10

Workout:

OC's with BBSM (set at a 1.5" choker)

1 X 10 secs

2 X 16 secs

3 X 11 secs

OC's with IM2 (set at a 1.25" choker)

1 X 15 secs

2 X 15 secs

3 X 18 secs

4 X 12 secs

Negatives with SE x 3 (held closed 5-7 seconds)

Reps with Trainer X 34 (RH), 28 (LH)

did some extensor work...lost count, so just went to failure with the yellow

Wrist Curls:

95 X 25

115 X 10

135 X 12

155 X 5

185 X 1 (assisted)

135 X 12

115 x 12

95 X 14

Reverse Curls:

75 X 10

85 X 8

95 X 6 (last rep assisted)

today was a good day

Warm Up:

No Set Trainer Closes X 20

IM1 X 15

Workout:

OC's

BBSM (choked at 1.5" around the spring)

1 X 20 secs PR--really gave it my all

2 X 11 secs

3 X 5 secs (absolutely fried on that last set)

IM2 (choked at 1 3/8" around spring)

1 X 19 secs PR

2 X 11 secs

3 X 12 secs

Negatives

i did one set with the SE, but wasn't really feeling its benefits, so i went down to the E

Elite X 4 (held closed for 7 secs on each set)

Reps w/ 1 X 39 (both RH and LH)

Reps w/ Trainer, 101 X RH, 80 X LH

Extensors (i don't know how i got so many reps today):

Blue X 33 PR

Red X 17 PR

Yellow X 70

Wrist Curls:

95 X 10

115 X 10

155 X 15 PR

185 X 3 PR

165 X 4

145 X 6

95 X 34

Reverse Curls:

75 X 10

85 X 10

100 X 6 PR (with slight sling on the last 3)

measured the forearms afterwards.

8" wrists (measured two inches from the bottom of the hand)

15 " forearms (measured at their largest part)

today was a good day

Warm Up: 

No Set Trainer Closes X 20

IM1 X 15

Workout:

OC's

BBSM (choked at 1.5" around the spring)

1 X 20 secs PR--really gave it my all

2 X 11 secs

3 X 5 secs (absolutely fried on that last set)

IM2 (choked at 1 3/8" around spring)

1 X 19 secs PR

2 X 11 secs

3 X 12 secs

Negatives

i did one set with the SE, but wasn't really feeling its benefits, so i went down to the E

Elite X 4 (held closed for 7 secs on each set)

Reps w/ 1 X 39 (both RH and LH)

Reps w/ Trainer, 101 X RH, 80 X LH

Extensors (i don't know how i got so many reps today):

Blue X 33  PR

Red X 17  PR

Yellow X 70

nice workout man, love how your OCing that BBSM from 1.5 keep it up buddy!

put grippin on hiatus for just a little bit; i started bending again, and i am having the most fun with that right now.

on another note, i will not be going to GGC this year due to some financial problems. i have already spent quite a bit of money on books and materials this semester (800 worth); it is def a disappointment for me. i had really looked forward to my trip out there this saturday. another time i guess.

have some bending work wednesday.

did some bending tonight:

8 Yellows bent, each one took about 5-10 secs.

2 Yellow equivalents bent, completed in about 5-10 secs also

1 Zinc plated, CRS, 1/4" X 6"...easy. took the same amount of time.

hands are definitely feeling it, but it was a good workout. congrats to my training partner from the beginning, ray, for getting a Yellow bent for the first time.

btw, all nails were bent to a 1"-1.25" gap. all bends were done DO

Bending:

--15 Yellows, approx 5-10 seconds for completion, all done with a 1-1.25" gap

--leverage work. 3 X 10 (to the forehead), 2 x 10 (to the back)

extensors w/IM bands:

Blue X 14

Yellow X 71

Green X 89

finished off with a contrast bath