Bodybuilding And Grip Training

musclehead

I'm new to the boards here and I just ordered a #1 and #2 COC gripper. I am 20 years old and I have been bodybuilding for about 3 years. Since I am a bodybuilder I have been training my forearms with excersise such as wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Now I know COC grippers are for grip strength, but will they work my entire forearm too? Should I train with the grippers and still train my forearms at the gym?

PS

How much pressure does it take to crush a can of soda or beer?

I would still do a lot of 'gym' lifts to build your arms for the stage. In fact many here do plenty of wrist curls (infinate variations), reverse curls, and other forearm exercises in their routine.

No clue about the soda though..sorry.

I am 20 years old and I have been bodybuilding for about 3 years.

I am very sorry to hear that. I will do my best to convert you over from the dark side.

A grip machine will give you much more of a pump than grippers. But 1 gripper is much cheaper. Doing the high reps always gave me a pump, not as much as the machine but pretty good if I did tons of sets in like an hours time.

I am 20 years old and I have been bodybuilding for about 3 years.

I am very sorry to hear that. I will do my best to convert you over from the dark side.

A grip machine will give you much more of a pump than grippers. But 1 gripper is much cheaper. Doing the high reps always gave me a pump, not as much as the machine but pretty good if I did tons of sets in like an hours time.

PS: any recommendation on training frequency? In theory could one carry around the gripper all day and train as much as possible only with the gripper and eventually close the #3? Or would you say a specialized routine is required with a variety of exercises?

A site about Manfred Hoeberl claimed "nearly 600" lbs of pressure to blow up a can of pop.

PS: any recommendation on training frequency? In theory could one carry around the gripper all day and train as much as possible only with the gripper and eventually close the #3? Or would you say a specialized routine is required with a variety of exercises?

The #3 close question depends on a couple things, mostly if you are prone to it. A lot of people who close the #3 do it in months, because they have enormous potential in the gripper department and are blessed. Then there are others who work their butts off to get there. For the people in the latter category, I don't think squeezing the #1 or so for any amount of reps for years will get you to the #3. They need drastic training and heavy gripper work.

First you need to find out where you fall. If you close the #2 in the first couple weeks of training, you will probably be shutting the #3 inside of 6 months. If not you will need some goals, both short term and long term and a battle plan.

How much pressure does it take to crush a can of soda or beer?

Not sure how much, but I uploaded a small video that shows Flo, Martin, Burki and me bursting cans.

It's fun when they burst!

Enjoy

Thorsten

Ah, here's the link to the video:

CanBurst

Edited by moser1972

Well I should be getting my No. 1 and No .2 in 1-2 weeks. I'll see where I stand. Hopefully I can close the No. 2 soon. Nice job on the can crushing. Has anybody ever crushed a can with one hand?

Edited by musclehead

Grippers don't work the thumb much. As to the forearms, they can pump them up, whether you're using heavy grippers or light grippers, but if you're doing heavy grippers, to really get pumped, you need to be doing very heavy grippers, at least I do.

Grippers will make your forearms grow, but you'll still do well to add in thumb and wrist work. As with all strength exercises, do them first while the glycogen and your energy are still high.

If you want to close a gripper, you'll save a lot of time by getting a gripper at least a little harder than the one you want to close, and working on that.

• 1 month later...

That's what I do, my #2 stays in my shirt pocket all day. Whenever I get a spare minute I'll squeeze out some reps or do a couple holds. I'm not certain this hap-hazard approach is best though. I finally closed the #2 last week with my right hand, but have been unable to duplicate the feat since. I don't know if it's overtraining or some other factor.

• 6 years later...

A site about Manfred Hoeberl claimed "nearly 600" lbs of pressure to blow up a can of pop.

That seems pretty close to what I'd think it is, considering that Magnus Sammuelson and Kinney could both crush a 4 and crush sodas. I think it might be a little above 600 since the #4 is 365 lbs.