Ronnie's Grip Training Log

supermagnamon

Well, I don't like keeping tabs on my training, but I guess I will try to keep it consistant in logging this stuff this time. I feel encouraged from everyone here, that are logging their training. I'll post my first training tonight, even though I'm doing some nail bends at work. :online

Earlier in the day

4 sets of 2 45lb plates pinch grip holds for 10 seconds for each hand

Tonight

Warm up

1 set of 1 min Powerball for each hand

Work Out

4 sets of 1 60D bends DU Style - 3 min rest in between set

2 sets of 10 reps of IM#1 crush - 3 min rest in between set

4 sets of 20 reps of IM Yellow Band - 1 min rest in between set

3 sets of 1 min of Chinese ball rotations for each hand - no rest

Comment:

I took it easy on tonight's workout, since I will try bending the IM Red tomorrow night.

Warm-Up

1 set pf 1:05 seconds on the Powerball for each hand

Work Out

1 Attempt at Red Nail using leather pads - I couldn't get anything happen. No kink.

1 set of IM Blue Nail using IM pads - It took me 45 seconds to completely bend nail.

3 sets of 60Ds using leather pads- 2 min rests between sets

Pinch grip on Books- I used 3000 pages of books, in which it was about 5 1/2 in width. 4 sets on each hand with 20 second holds for 3 minutes rest between sets.

Goerner Lift on Books- I used 5000 pages of books, using a 1600 page book as the base. 4 sets on each hand with 10 second holds for 3 minutes rest between sets.

Levering with Books- I used a 1700 page book for this. 3 sets of 12 reps for each side of the wrist for each hand. I did the exercise for one hand at a time, but I had no rest, once I either switch hands or sides of the wrist.

One Hand Tower Roll up with Weight- I used a Titlist golf towel and a 2.5lb shot put for this. I did one full roll up and roll down. 3 sets for each hand. Rest 2 minutes between sets.

IM Red Band- 4 sets Until failure. Rest 30 seconds between sets.

Shot Put Rotations- I used 2 2.5lb Shot Puts. 1st and 2nd set- 70 rotations. 3rd set-10 reps doing it reverse. (Pretty much lazy at this point.) No rest between sets.

Comments:

I started working out at 12AM and finished at 1:30AM. I am currently at work, working from 7PM - 7AM. Mainly, I'm sleepy, but I'm not allowed to take a nap. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks, before I attempt at trying to bend the IM Red Nail. I think there's a huge difference in bending the IM Blue nail to it. I thought bending the IM Blue nail with ease, brought my confidence too high that I underestimated the Red Nail. That sucks. Ouch!!! My ego hurts now. :(

Warm up

1 set 20 reps on each hand on Snowball

Workout

8 sets 10 second holds on IM#3. 3 minute rests between sets

3 sets 20 reps on IM#1. 2 minute rests between sets

4 sets Til Failure on IM Green Bands. 30 second rests between sets.

Comment:

I didn't go so hard on this workout, because I was at work and I want to take my stress off of something, since users were being annoying. I tried to come down, so I tried to crush the hell out of the IM#3. What a stress reliever. :cool

Nice work with the 3 Ronnie!

Workout

4 Sets of 2 45lb Plate Pinch Hold for 15 seconds on each hand. 1 minute rest between sets.

3 Sets of 1 45lb Plate Flip and Catch. 5 reps for each hand. 1 minute rest between sets.

4 Sets of 25lb Plate Curls. 5 reps for each hand. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 Sets of Hammer Curls with 80lbs for each hand for 5 reps. 2 minute rest between sets.

Comments:

I did Deadlifts, Rack Deadlifts, and Upper Back work before doing this Grip Workout. I was going a little cocky with the Plate Flip and Catch exercise, but after the 1st set, I realize how much tired I was on my grip.

I noted your first post saying you find it strange to write down work-outs. Me too. But it does inspire you to keep things up, I think. It is with me anyway.

You have a varied and interesting work-out. Bands, grippers, plates, books, nails, wrist rolls, deads. Deads should count, too. They can fry my grip.

Keep up the good work! One day I'll be on to nails and bending too. Gotta nail down some more general strength and health to lay down a foundation first.

You have a varied and interesting work-out.  Bands, grippers, plates, books, nails, wrist rolls, deads.  Deads should count, too.  They can fry my grip.

I guess you're right. I sometimes start using straps, though, because my grip is sometimes tired from a grip workout on the previous day, but my body is begging for more weight.

I just ordered this combo of hooks/straps in one unit from Mountainboy that I saw reviewed on www.t-nation.com for that exact same reason. My deadlifts are with big wide stretchbands, too, so they are extremely hard on the hands, and I don't want to be giving up because of my hands.

With people not doing grip work, I'd be one of the guys chiming in to say don't use straps, just get a stronger grip! But since I'm working my grip so hard anyway, and since deads with those wide stretchbands are so damn hard anyway, I don't think it applies. Guys using their hands as hard as we are aren't making excuses for weak hands, as our hands are getting really strong as fast as we can make them strong and if anything we're in real danger of overworking them, not ignoring them. But we still have to work out. I'm more worried that I'll listen to myself make excuses about overworked hands and wind up lifting less, so I want to cut that problem off at the pass.

I just ordered this combo of hooks/straps in one unit from Mountainboy that I saw reviewed on www.t-nation.com for that exact same reason.  My deadlifts are with big wide stretchbands, too, so they are extremely hard on the hands, and I don't want to be giving up because of my hands.

With people not doing grip work, I'd be one of the guys chiming in to say don't use straps, just get a stronger grip!  But since I'm working my grip so hard anyway, and since deads with those wide stretchbands are so damn hard anyway, I don't think it applies.  Guys using their hands as hard as we are aren't making excuses for weak hands, as our hands are getting really strong as fast as we can make them strong and if anything we're in real danger of overworking them, not ignoring them.  But we still have to work out.  I'm more worried that I'll listen to myself make excuses about overworked hands and wind up lifting less, so I want to cut that problem off at the pass.

that's the thing about using straps on deadlifts. once i feel that my grip is gone after a couple of sets, then it's time to give them some help. remember, the hands and forearms are extremely small compared to every other muscle that's used in the deadlift.

Warm-Up

1 set pf 1:05 seconds on the Powerball for each hand

Work Out

1 Attempt at Red Nail using leather pads - I couldn't get anything happen. No kink.

1 set of IM Blue Nail using IM pads - It took me 45 seconds to completely bend nail.

3 sets of 60Ds using leather pads- 2 min rests between sets

Pinch grip on Books- I used 3000 pages of books, in which it was about 5 1/2 in width. 4 sets on each hand with 20 second holds for 3 minutes rest between sets.

Goerner Lift on Books- I used 5000 pages of books, using a 1600 page book as the base. 4 sets on each hand with 10 second holds for 3 minutes rest between sets.

Levering with Books- I used a 1700 page book for this. 3 sets of 12 reps for each side of the wrist for each hand. I did the exercise for one hand at a time, but I had no rest, once I either switch hands or sides of the wrist.

One Hand Tower Roll up with Weight- I used a Titlist golf towel and a 2.5lb shot put for this. I did one full roll up and roll down. 3 sets for each hand. Rest 2 minutes between sets.

IM Red Band- 4 sets Until failure. Rest 30 seconds between sets.

Shot Put Rotations- I used 2 2.5lb Shot Puts. 1st and 2nd set- 70 rotations. 3rd set-10 reps doing it reverse. (Pretty much lazy at this point.) No rest between sets.

Comments:

I started working out at 12AM and finished at 1:30AM. I am currently at work, working from 7PM - 7AM. Mainly, I'm sleepy, but I'm not allowed to take a nap. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks, before I attempt at trying to bend the IM Red Nail. I think there's a huge difference in bending the IM Blue nail to it. I thought bending the IM Blue nail with ease, brought my confidence too high that I underestimated the Red Nail. That sucks. Ouch!!! My ego hurts now.  :(

Excellent routine and I like the variey. Don't worry you'll get the red, hitting the blue is good my friend. As for working overnight I feel yeah on that, it's tough...good luck and stay strong buddy :rock

Warm up

1:10 on Powerball. 1 set for each hand.

Work Out

3 sets of Bending of Blue Nail. 1 bend for each set. Bends were done in less than 30 seconds with leather pads. 1 minute rest between sets.

1 set of 60D Nail Bend. Bend was done in less than 30 seconds with leather pads.

3 sets of Card Tearing. 25 Whisky Pete's Playing cards for each set. 1 minute rests between sets.

3 sets of Crush downs on IM#3. 12 reps on each set. 1 minute rests between sets.

4 sets of IM Yellow Band. Exercise done till failure. 30 second rest between sets.

5 minute of 3 Marble Ball Rotations. 2:30 for each hand.

Comments:

I'm working from 7PM- 7AM tonight, so I'm just sleepy and bored. Mainly, I felt like doing some grip stuff to keep me awake and move towards my goal. I was pretty much half a** on this, so there's much improvement to be done, if I was wide awake. :whacked

Warm Up

1:10 minute on Powerball for each hand.

Work Out

3 sets of 1 bend of Blue Nail on IM pads. 1 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of 1 bend 60D Nail on leather pads. 1 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of Card Tearing. 26 Bee Playing cards for each set. 1 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of Goerner Lift on Books- I used 5400 pages of books, using a 1600 page book as the base. 4 sets on each hand with 10 second holds for 1 minutes rest between sets.

4 sets of IM Yellow Bands done till failure for each set. 30 seconds rest between sets.

Comments:

It was an okay workout. I couldn't go that hard, since I'm working right now. Another graveyard shift from 7PM- 7AM. Luckily, I sleep all day today when I got home this morning, so I'm wide awake. I'm going after the red nail next week, after I will have my friend cut my blue nails down about a .25" and .5" inch on my stock that I have. Hopefully, bending them a couple times will prepare my better for the red nail. :happy

Saturdays Workout 8/6/05

5 sets of 2 45lb pinch holds. 15 seconds for each hand. 2 minutes rest between sets.

4 sets of levering on a 4 foot aerobic bar using 6lb plate on one of the bar. 12 reps on each hand and on each side of wrist. 30 second rest between sets.

Comments:

I forgot to log this on Saturday. I did this after my leg work out. I was pretty much spent after doing the levering. I can blame that on 8 sets of heavy squats.

Sunday Workout 8/7/05

5 sets of RT. 200lbs on each hand for 3 reps. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of RT curls. 45lbs for 5 reps on each hand. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of Plate curls. 25lb plate on each hand for 12 reps. 2 minute rest between sets.

Comments:

I forgot to log this workout as well. I did this right after my back workout, which it consist of deadlifts and using the RT and a rope for rows on this day.

Today's Workout

Warm up

1:15 seconds on Powerball for each hand.

Workout

8 sets of Negatives on IM#3. Held gripper for 10 seconds for 2 reps for each hand. 3 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of Card Tearing on Bee Playing cards. 27 cards for each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

5 sets of 45lb York Block. Lift for 2 reps on each hand. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of IM Red Band. Done till failure. 30 second rest between sets.

Comments:

I felt o.k with the workout. I thought that I could of done better with the Block, though. I need to be more consistant with this documentation thing with my workout. I already miss two days already.

One of the most well rounded routines I have seen.

One of the most well rounded routines I have seen.

Thanks for the comment. It's hard to try to be good well rounded in grip strength. Just like in all other sports, every athlete has to identify their weaknesses and work them up to par.

Warm Up

1:20 minute on Powerball for each hand.

Work Out

1 sets of 1 bend of Blue Nail on IM pads.

8 sets of 1 bend 60D Nail on leather pads. 30 second rest between sets.

5 sets on Goerner Lift- 25lbs for 10 seconds hold on each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of IM Blue Bands done till failure for each set. 30 seconds rest between sets.

Comments:

I did deadlifts today along with a back workout before doing this workout. My hands and forearms were already tired by time I did this workout, which is the main reason why I only did 1 set on the IM Blue Nail, so instead, I decided to do some quick work on the 60D Nails. I hope my next bending workout, that I will do the IM Blue Nails that are 5.5".

Thursday 8/11/05

2 sets of 1 Blue Nail Bend on Leather Pads- Each set were done in less than 20 seconds. 30 second rest between sets.

2 sets of 1 Yellow Nail Bend on Leather Pads- Each set were done in less than 20 seconds. 30 second rest between sets.

5 sets of 5 5lb plates with 40lb dumbell attach for pinch hold for 10 seconds for each hand. 1 minute rest between sets.

8 sets of 10 reps on IM#2. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of 200 page magazine tearing. 4 tears for each magazine. 1 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of IM Red Band done till failure. 30 seconds rest between sets.

Comments:

I did the nail bends at the gym to show off, since ppl in the gym wanted to see me do it. I let a couple ppl try to bend the yellow and blue im nails first, before I tried to bend. After that, I whomped on the nails like a bad habit. This was done after my chest and shoulder workout.

Comments:

I did the nail bends at the gym to show off, since ppl in the gym wanted to see me do it. I let a couple ppl try to bend the yellow and blue im nails first, before I tried to bend. After that, I whomped on the nails like a bad habit. This was done after my chest and shoulder workout.

I love when that happens. I was moving a few short months ago and had some hefty looking movers moving me...well we came to my little workout room and they saw all the grippers hanging there. They said whats that? I said well you guys are pretty strong ( they looked it...and young too) So (to be safe) I took down my 2004 Filed #2 and handed it to the biggest one...well he got it about parallel.

I said "No, like this...and closed it about ten times" ..."Gee, he is pretty strong for an older dude" they whispered as they walked away......

Comments:

I love when that happens. I was moving a few short months ago and had some hefty looking movers moving me...well we came to my little workout room and they saw all the grippers hanging there. They said whats that? I said well you guys are pretty strong ( they looked it...and young too) So (to be safe) I took down my 2004 Filed #2 and handed it to the biggest one...well he got it about parallel.

I said "No, like this...and closed it about ten times" ..."Gee, he is pretty strong for an older dude" they whispered as they walked away......

I bet that felt sweet. Pdoire, did they bother to try to shake your hand?

No Ronnie..they were too busy shaking their head!!!

No Ronnie..they were too busy shaking their head!!!

that's too funny. :D

Friday 8/12/05 Workout

Warm up

Powerball- 2:00 minute on each hand.

Workout

3 sets of 5.75" Blue Nail Bend. 1 nail for each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of 5.5" Hot Rolled Steel Nail Bend. 1 nail for each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of IM Red Band. Done till failure. 30 second rest between set.

Comments:

I just bought my bolt cutter and a few 6 feet Hot Steel Rods to cut down for bending. I cut down my IM Blue Nails, since I felt the IM Blue Nails as is where getting easy to bend at less than 20 seconds a session now. This time it took me about a minute for each bend on this whole workout to bend each nail. I will cut down the Blue Nail to 5.5" and start bending them this week, while I will let the Hot Rolled Stee Nails by themselves. I felt that I had a harder time with them, than my Blue Nails.

Friday 8/12/05 Workout

Warm up

Powerball- 2:00 minute on each hand.

Workout

3 sets of 5.75" Blue Nail Bend. 1 nail for each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of 5.5" Hot Rolled Steel Nail Bend. 1 nail for each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of IM Red Band. Done till failure. 30 second rest between set.

Comments:

I just bought my bolt cutter and a few 6 feet Hot Steel Rods to cut down for bending. I cut down my IM Blue Nails, since I felt the IM Blue Nails as is where getting easy to bend at less than 20 seconds a session now. This time it took me about a minute for each bend on this whole workout to bend each nail. I will cut down the Blue Nail to 5.5" and start bending them this week, while I will let the Hot Rolled Stee Nails by themselves. I felt that I had a harder time with them, than my Blue Nails.

keep going on the nail bending, cut blue nails....your on fire :flame I see a red nail bender in the making

Warm up

Powerball- 1:30 seconds on each hand.

Work Out

2 sets of 5.75" Blue Nail Bend. 1 nail for each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

2 sets of 5.5" Hot Rolled Steel Nail Bend. 1 nail for each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of IM#1. 30 reps for each hand. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets on Goerner Lift- 25lbs for 10 seconds hold on each set. 2 minute rest between sets.

3 sets of One Hand Tower Roll up with Weight- I used a Titlist golf towel and a 2.5lb shot put for this. I did one full roll up and roll down. 2 minute rest between sets.

4 sets of IM Blue Bands done till failure. 30 seconds rest between sets.

3 sets of 2 2.5lb Shot Put Rotation. 2:35 seconds for each hand.

Comments:

I've done this workout tonight at work. I'm working from 7PM- 7AM. Also, I did a back workout earlier in the day time with 10 sets of deadlifts, 5 sets on reverse band deadlift and 5 sets of stiff-legged deadlifts. I just wanted to get a good all-around grip workout, since I took a rest from working out, yesterday. Tomorrow, I will go harder on the grippers. On the bending, I took less than 45 seconds on each bend. The crush was easy, after kinking each nail. Whew. Hopefully, I will be just as fast on the 5.5" Blue Nails on Tuesday, even though I'm still struggling on the 5.5" Hot Rolled Steel Nail.