European Grip Championship 2005, Official Invitati

Arne

I'm once again very pleased to formally invite the 12 qualified competitors from England, Sweden, Holland, Switzerland and Germany to participate in the second European Grip Championship. I hope it will be a great competition.

Where? Central Löddeköpinge (situated approx. 15 km northwest of Lund), Skåne, southern Sweden.

When? Saturday 20th of August. Competition begins at 10.00 am so be there at least 9.00 am.

Hotel etc.: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=14819

Airport? Copenhagen International Airport (Kastrup) is the best alternative, as there is excellent train connections, via the bridge across Öresund, to Lund. I need information from every competitor on their expected arrival time. Please send me an e-mail with your travel details.

Starting fee: €30 or 300 SEK

The events? Grippers

Two hand pinch

One inch diametre vertical bar

One inch diametre one hand lift

Bending (The new rules!)

For details, please contact Mikael Siversson at: cardabiodon@iinet.net.au

Prizes? Gold, Silver and Bronze medals for the three best in each event. Gold, Silver and Bronze for the top three in the overall main title.

Entrance fee? For spectators there will be a 50 SEK entrance fee.

My address Arne Persson

Brynjevägen 19

S-246 34 Löddeköpinge

Sweden

Telephone/fax +46 46705740, Mobile: +46 708 182246

E-mail arne.person@nordicgym.se

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• David Horne

• Arne

still 5 tries per event?

really hoping to be able to come.

david

Yes, 5 tries per event. Do you have problem to come and compete?

normally not. Still need to get a plane ticket, but I will do everything I can to come :)

will confirm as soon as i can.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a typo in the invite?

the email address should be arne.persson@nordicgym.se instead of arne.person@nordicgym.se

Steve Gardener, England

David Hurzeler, Switzerland

Thomas Becker, Germany

Frank Henritzi, Germany

Burkhard Macht, Germany

Theo Burggraff, Holland

Kalle Lane, Sweden

Johan Albrektsson, Sweden

Viktor Sander, Sweden

Bjorn Andersson, Sweden

Mario Sjogren, Sweden

Martin Arildsson, Sweden

A lone Englishman carrying the flag... Will the bulldog spirit carry him to a trophy?

Maybe I need to join the Dutch and Swiss - one for all and all for one :D

Sounds like an unbeatable team! Call me Aramis :D

you mean d'Artagnan.. ;)

I think the result will be;

1. Johan Albrektsson, Sweden

2. Viktor Sander, Sweden

3. David Hurzeler, Switzerland

Good luck to all.

David

I think the result will be;

1. Johan Albrektsson, Sweden

2. Viktor Sander, Sweden

3. David Hurzeler, Switzerland

Good luck to all.

David

Wow, a great honour to hear that from you :)

But I wouldn't bet too much money on me, I would be very happy with a top 6. But we'll see next weekend ;)

I dunno Viktor, I've just looked at why David said that and you have some good numbers. Your left hand gripper is good - I may just beat it (right hand I'll crush you he he), your two hand pinch is my equal. Your v-bar is on bar with mine and I only just have the edge (based on past performances) in the one hand lift. I haven't competed under the new bending rules and so have no way of knowing how I'll do. And you're younger and lighter. David 'The Swiss' I can just beat as well. Johan, if on form, is a little ahead of me as an all rounder.

David will have looked at competition performances and my last one wasn't my best and I am still injured so...

Steve,

I downed you because of the injuries, sorry mate! Just saying it as I see it. Please prove me wrong. But also David Hurzeler has come on very well, and looks hot on a few events.

One thing is for sure it will be close.

David

No problem at all David. I stated the same. My two hand pinch isn't what it ought to be and I was aiming for a lot more than I did pre injury at the British. I have brought up my left hand crush so that's covered. My injury has precluded doing any serious one hand lifts and even pulling 2 x 1 with 954lbs in the partial deadlift is less than the 1067 I have done in the past. My v-bar ought to have been better at the British and is only a little better right now. Johan is looking good for that.

If Viktor isn't on par with his last event and some of his posts have said as much he is still only 18...

As I said, on paper Viktor is more or less my equal based on the last events we did. He may have improved. It remains to be seen if I have.

I'll also say this that I reckon that if David Hurzeler can pick up some points here and there he could be the surprise winner!! :yikes

I dunno Viktor, I've just looked at why David said that and you have some good numbers. Your left hand gripper is good - I may just beat it

Are you serious Mobster. Victor is light years ahead of you with his left hand. He closed a gripper with his left hand in the last LGC that is harder than a MMG1. You will be beaten very thoroughly in the grippers by Victor. We don't even know how good he is with his right hand as he closed the hardest competition gripper at hand at the last LGC (the latter gripper would be closer to a MMG3 than to a MMG2). Victor will take the gripper event at the Europeans and you may not be in the top 3 in grippers as your lefty is much too weak. It will probably be between you and Hurzeler for the third in grippers.. :kiss

(right hand I'll crush you he he), your two hand pinch is my equal.

No it is not, he pinched more than you have ever done with the Euro set up in his very first competition. Again, he will outpinch you at the Euros. ;)

Your v-bar is on bar with mine and I only just have the edge (based on past performances) in the one hand lift. I haven't competed under the new bending rules and so have no way of knowing how I'll do. And you're younger and lighter. David 'The Swiss' I can just beat as well. Johan, if on form, is a little ahead of me as an all rounder.

You may still end up ahead of Victor but it is only the bending that can save you. :calm

David will have looked at competition performances and my last one wasn't my best and I am still injured so...

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Hi Mikeal, I did what David and you must have done. I looked at what had been done in competition. I also know what I have been doing recently and have had an PM from the only other person, excluding Viktor, that is my serious competition on the grippers. Like you this other person said 'I hope that there are some tougher grippers for us to try'. I am sure that both my right and left hand are stronger than before in terms of grippers and feel that I am, at the least, Viktors equal based on what he last did in the Swedish championships (3.25 and 3.5).

On the pinch he has done less (he did 82 and I've done 83) what I have done - not at this years British nor at last years EU but what I have done in competition. I have done more on the 1HL (225 and 240 = 465 to his 230+210 = 440 kg, even injured I equalled his) and have done as well, if not better, on the V-Bar (he did 140+130 =270 kg - I've done more. I think I've done, when on form, 130+ L and 150+ R = 280kg)

Also, after these few posts yesterday, I read all of Viktors most recent posts. He has stated he doesn't feel on form, that he hasn't had training go as well as he'd like and so on. He is, however, not having to travel quite as far as me, not sleep in a tent and is a lot younger and, as far as I can tell, not injured.

With David H only my big lifts and about 100lbs additional bodyweight will save me. If he has brought up his numbers at all...

Plus I'm not sure that I will do as well in the bending as others, yourself included, are saying. I haven't even tried to train under the new rules just to be as strong as I can the way I did them before. Anyone, like David did last year, who looks at the form of competitors should base it on more than the most recent events. The reality, if I have one, is that I am close to my peak where as they are both young enough to get a little stronger.

In a year or two... :whistel

Hi Mikeal, I did what David and you must have done. I looked at what had been done in competition. I also know what I have been doing recently and have had an PM from the only other person, excluding Viktor, that is my serious competition on the grippers. Like you this other person said 'I hope that there are some tougher grippers for us to try'.

There will be a BBSE rated at 3.65 and another BBSE rated above 3.80. As usual you are slightly overconfident.  :mosher We will see after the competition but I believe Victor will beat you in the grippers, not by a slight margin but by a considerable margin. We will know for sure in a weeks time.

I am sure that both my right and left hand are stronger than before in terms of grippers and feel that I am, at the least, Viktors equal based on what he last did in the Swedish championships (3.25 and 3.5).

We have heard this all before. For example, you usually aim for 100k in the pinch but always end up around 80k.

On the pinch he has done less (he did 82 and I've done 83) what I have done - not at this years British nor at last years EU but what I have done in competition.

What are you talking about???

Ranking on Euro set up.

12.Viktor Sander, Sweden         82.0k LGC XIII 2005

13.Steve Gardener, England       81.8k IG 2004

In which competition did you do 83k on the new Euro standard? I am not interested in what you have done on other non-comparable equipment.

I have done more on the 1HL (225 and 240  = 465 to his 230+210 = 440 kg, even injured I equalled his) and have done as well, if not better, on the V-Bar (he did 140+130 =270 kg - I've done more. I think I've done, when on form, 130+ L and 150+ R = 280kg)

Also, after these few posts yesterday, I read all of Viktors most recent posts. He has stated he doesn't feel on form, that he hasn't had training go as well as he'd like and so on. He is, however, not having to travel quite as far as me, not sleep in a tent and is a lot younger and, as far as I can tell, not injured.

I would not trust those statements by young Victor. :rolleyes

With David H only my big lifts and about 100lbs additional bodyweight will save me. If he has brought up his numbers at all...

Plus I'm not sure that I will do as well in the bending as others, yourself included, are saying. I haven't even tried to train under the new rules just to be as strong as I can the way I did them before. Anyone, like David did last year, who looks at the form of competitors should base it on more than the most recent events. The reality, if I have one, is that I am close to my peak where as they are both young enough to get a little stronger.

In a year or two... :whistel

Edited by Mikael Siversson

'Slightly over confident' :D Who knows, you may well be right. I never see the point of going in 'just to play'. I'm glad, as per my post, that there will be harder grippers to try out. As for considerable margin... Given that we are talking mere fractions - such as .25 etc, if such a thing happens it wont be by a 'considerable margin'.

I'm pretty sure (but also too rushed to double check) that I've done as much as 83-kilos in competition on a Euro set up.

I'll have to take your words regarding Viktor being serious... Do you keep in touch with the Swedish guys as to how they are progressing?

With injuries holding me back - still - I'm not making any great predictions as to numbers but am confident of doing better on the grippers than before, doing a little more on the one hand lift - not a huge amount more mind, v-bar again a little higher, two hand pinch may be a kilo or two more than I have done and have no idea on the bending. There wont be any 170-kilo v-bar, 300-kilo one hand lifts etc etc style predictions.

Who knows maybe my not making such statements is more worrying... :shifty

'Slightly over confident'  :D Who knows, you may well be right. I never see the point of going in 'just to play'. I'm glad, as per my post, that there will be harder grippers to try out. As for considerable margin... Given that we are talking mere fractions - such as .25 etc, if such a thing happens it wont be by a 'considerable margin'.

In the gripper ranking he is 7-8 per cent ahead of you. At this level it is a big margin. If we averaged the left and right hand competition results for the two of you it would be the same as if you could just close a gripper with a set that Victor could do about 5 reps with, where each rep is opened up wider than parallell.

I'm pretty sure (but also too rushed to double check) that I've done as much as 83-kilos in competition on a Euro set up.

Certainly not Mobster.

I'll have to take your words regarding Viktor being serious... Do you keep in touch with the Swedish guys as to how they are progressing?

With injuries holding me back - still - I'm not making any great predictions as to numbers but am confident of doing better on the grippers than before, doing a little more on the one hand lift - not a huge amount more mind, v-bar again a little higher, two hand pinch may be a kilo or two more than I have done and have no idea on the bending. There wont be any 170-kilo v-bar, 300-kilo one hand lifts etc etc style predictions.

Who knows maybe my not making such statements is more worrying...  :shifty

It all sounds as though it will be a great day. Hey Steve is always confident, and maybe that's good, but it does lend yourself for a fall. Anyway, unless Viktor freezes on the big day I'm sure he will be top 3.

I predict the individual event winners will be

Grippers

Viktor Sander

Two Hands Pinch

Frank Henritzi

Vbar

Theo Burgraff

One Hand Lift

David Hurzeler

Bending

Johan Albrektsson or Frank Henritzi

David