What Percentage Actually Get Certificates?

gunnaknow

Ironmind lists 116 guys on their site who have closed the #3 under certified conditions. This number sounds very small. What kind of percentage do you think this number represents out of all of the people who have closed the #3, certified or not? Ten percent? Thirty percent? Reading the grip board gives the impression that closing a #3 is common place. Or do only a few guys succeed but they all congregate here, making it look like it's more common place than it really is?

I think your number of 116 is off a bit. I counted myself as #164. :D

I think that maybe 50% of the people who CAN close a #3 actually certify. That is purely a wild guess. The logic being that those of us who work with the COC grippers tend to know about the cert process also. And usually getting that strong is for a host of reasons, not necessarily only to get strong. Recognition for achieving a worthy goal is one of the reasons I wanted to cert on the #3. Apparently it's that way for a lot of other guys. Otherwise they wouldn't have certified.

I will say that I have the utmost respect for the guys who can close a #3 and above but don't get certified. I think it's cool. I just don't feel the same way. I wanted to shout it out from the tallest building when I was able to close the #3. That might be too self-important for good taste...but I don't care. :unsure

Yes, the guys who can do it congregate here. That may make it seem commonplace but it doesn't make it easy! I've trained hard for 18 months with the ultimate goal of closing the #3 but am still unable to do it. Sometimes I feel weak around here, but I feel pretty strong around any group of "normal" people.

Alot of people can close it but can't certify under Ironminds credit-card rule. I still consider that an impressive group and I hope to join it soon!

Alot of people can close it but can't certify under Ironminds credit-card rule. I still consider that an impressive group and I hope to join it soon!

I think there's a few on the list that can't close it under the new rule.

I'm not positive, but in the last few year I would say around 75% of the COC's have been members of the gripboard. This is probably why it seems so common when in fact its far from it.

Yeah, I think the number is well into the 160's now. I was number 155 according to the list on the Ironmind site.

Ironmind lists 116 guys on their site who have closed the #3 under certified conditions. This number sounds very small. What kind of percentage do you think this number represents out of all of the people who have closed the #3, certified or not? Ten percent? Thirty percent? Reading the grip board gives the impression that closing a #3 is common place. Or do only a few guys succeed but they all congregate here, making it look like it's more common place than it really is?

Not everyone who can close the #3 can do it with the credit card set. I can't. And the number is about 166 now, you definitlely missed a few in there. Some people also ardentlty hate the COC cert and think it lame, that is another reason.

I'd bet that maybe 2% percent of people who buy the #3COC actually ever certify as closing it. It would be a good question to ask Richard S. as he knows how many #3's they have sold. Hard tell though because someone could buy the #3 and not certify untill 10 years later.

It is true that it is an elite list!

I would bet the number of not certified closers is quite high. Some people just don't care about stuff like that (even though they like grip) case in point is my brother who can SMOKE the 3 no set but has not taken any steps to get himself certified?!?!?!

Witnesses and video are a primary reason also that people don't bother to cert. They are comfortable knowing that they closed it..don't need the "proof" aspect.

I'd bet that maybe 2% percent of people who buy the #3COC actually ever certify as closing it.  It would be a good question to ask Richard S.  as he knows how many #3's they have sold.  Hard tell though because someone could buy the #3 and not certify untill 10 years later.

It is true that it is an elite list!

Since many people buy the #3 just to help them master the #2, I'm sure far fewer than 2% who buy a #3 actually close it.

Guys, I just recounted the number at 166. I don't understand how I could have miscalculated by so much in the first place. Maybe the TV distracted me.

I'm not sure whether I would want to get certified if I ever close the #3. Ultimately, I am training my grip because I want to know what it's like to walk the earth unfased by any obstacle. Comfortable in the knowledge that if ever needs be, I could brush an unarmed attacker off with a flick of the wrist, literally.

It's nice to get recognition for accomplishments though. If it wasn't, we wouldn't even feel the need to tell anyone on this forum, or elsewhere about what we are achieving. Although I initially informed everyone about my progress in the thread "Quick progress" to discern whether it was normal. I still like recognition though, just like everyone else. I'm certainly going to tell a few people if I ever close a #3. I don't know whether getting certified will really be worth the fuss though. I like recognition but don't like making a fuss of things. Yet some guys might have a different motivation about why they are getting certified and it's just a bit of fun to them.

Ultimately, we have to ask ourselves why we as humans seek recognition from others about our accomplishments, of any sort. My thought is that we look for recognition because we doubt ourselves deep down and are looking for validation from others that our doubts about ourselves are unfounded. We just want to validate our worth because we doubt our worth somewhere far back in the recesses of our mind. To not have any nagging doubt about your worth at all, is probably quite a rare thing. We are creatures with feelings. This is just my theory though. I like to examine why we feel the different motivations we do to behave the way we do.

Witnesses and video are a primary reason also that people don't bother to cert. They are comfortable knowing that they closed it..don't need the "proof" aspect.

Edited by gunnaknow

Heh, Ben, if I could close a #3, it would probably take police intervention or an act of god to shut me up about it!

Here it's commonplace to put your qualifications infront of your name. I'm an engineer and I have flat out refused to sign any non engineering related stuff with Engineer or to have my title on my apartment door. However I always joke the day I close the 3 and get certed I'm putting coc behind my name everywhere including my door. Make people figure out what the hell a COC is :)

Heh, Ben, if I could close a #3, it would probably take police intervention or an act of god to shut me up about it!

Here it's commonplace to put your qualifications infront of your name. I'm an engineer and I have flat out refused to sign any non engineering related stuff with Engineer or to have my title on my apartment door. However I always joke the day I close the 3 and get certed I'm putting coc behind my name everywhere including my door. Make people figure out what the hell a COC is :)

Haha, that's pretty funny! Now that would make an interesting nametag/nameplate suffix or resume entry!

And I can just see old-school petty tyrants preening around the homefront, insisting their kids and wife call them " Captain."

closing a no 3 gripper is not common place. all the guys who did this feat trained hard to do so and deserve a pat on the back. if you want it bad enough and work hard i think it will come in time . i almost had the 3 but started doing different stuff . and fell behind big time so now im starting all over grip only and see where it goes to all the guys who closed a no 3 :bow

Haha, that's pretty funny! Now that would make an interesting nametag/nameplate suffix or resume entry!

And I can just see old-school petty tyrants preening around the homefront, insisting their kids and wife call them " Captain."

i would put in my resume with my other certifications. in computers, there's too many acronyms, so it wouldn't hurt to put COC in there. personally, i think there's a lot of ppl that don't certify, because it's a hassle.

It's not nearly as much of a "hassle" to certify as it is to train your ass off to actually gain the strength necessary to certify. :D So I have a hard time understanding that line of reasoning.

I could close the 3 for well over a year before I certified. It was the whole "hassle" of it. Someone one time said "if I could close it I would certify", that got me thinking so I decided to do it.

If I could close it, I would certify, get the certificate framed, and put it up right over my computer. Then I would show it to everyone who came over to my house :D

When I went to cert COC, I really wasn't nervous about it at all.

To me, it was like walking in to take an final exam knowing full well in advance you'll make a 100 on it! :)

I was VERY nervous, however, certing on the Mash Monster!! I said to myself if I close it, I close it - if I don't, I don't. Bad attitude to have I know, but it turned out just fine. :happy

speaking on this, some do and some don't I think. I know when I'm ready to certify simply I will. I like the challenge and thought of knowing that I pushed myself and set a goal and showed without a doubt I could do it. Currently, that CC set alludes me but I will have it and I just know it. Simply, "To each his own"

hey, if you can cert, you might as well go ahead and cert. Only God knows how many guys can actually close a #3, and he's not talkin....