Biceps Training

Florian Kellersmann

I saw a training video from Rustam Babayev and was wondering if you guys prefer full range curls or if you train more like Rustam?

You can see the video on this site: http://www.armwrestling-kiel.de

Click on 'Media' and then on 'Videos'!

Well, he's a phenomenal puller... it's obviously working for him.

That might not work for everyone though... I think that some full range work is good, but doing partials and static training and so forth is beneficial as well.

Being versatile in your training can't hurt....

I have been training full range and I still see a carryover to the table. Im planning on adding more partials in after my next tournament though. Anything that makes your muscles stronger will help you on the table in my opinion.

Austin

Cool vid, thanks for the link Flo. I do TC's which are of course a partial and partial HC's. The only full range curling movement I currently do are some incline db curls but those are at the end of the workout just to pump some more blood in there. I don't think you'll have a weaker lock or anything from performing full-range; like Austin said, anything that makes you stronger will help, I just think my time is better invested in partials in regards to strength for the table.

Well... the physics behind bicep strength, leaves it at it's absolute strongest when the elbow is at 90 degrees. the reason is because at that point the muscle insertion is furthest away from the lever (the joint).

Which makes sense to train partials from that point to make that position even stronger.

But muscle fibres fully contract every time, there's no in between or no partial contraction, it's the force of the contraction that determines it. By training through all the positions you're hitting more fibres from different angles, allowing you to produce a more forceful contraction all together, and not just from one position.

Well...  the physics behind bicep strength,  leaves it at it's absolute strongest when the elbow is at 90 degrees.  the reason is because at that point the muscle insertion is furthest away from the lever (the joint).

Which makes sense to train partials from that point to make that position even stronger.

But muscle fibres fully contract every time, there's no in between or no partial contraction, it's the force of the contraction that determines it. By training through all the positions you're hitting more fibres from different angles, allowing you to produce a more forceful contraction all together, and not just from one position.

I'm just a novice armwrestler but I find that if my arm gets past 90 degrees the match is basically over. Given what you just said, are Full reps better for building strength from the 90 degree point and narrower(hand towards shoulder) than partials? To clarify, by doing full reps you are hitting more fibers, thus getting more hypertrophy, and can then recruit more in any position for a stronger contraction.

For example, if my full range HC's go up then my partials should go up even if I don't train partials and even though the top half of the movement will be using much less weight. Thanks

Josh

Well...  the physics behind bicep strength,  leaves it at it's absolute strongest when the elbow is at 90 degrees.  the reason is because at that point the muscle insertion is furthest away from the lever (the joint).

I'm just a novice armwrestler but I find that if my arm gets past 90 degrees the match is basically over. Given what you just said, are Full reps better for building strength from the 90 degree point and narrower(hand towards shoulder) than partials? To clarify, by doing full reps you are hitting more fibers, thus getting more hypertrophy, and can then recruit more in any position for a stronger contraction.

For example, if my full range HC's go up then my partials should go up even if I don't train partials and even though the top half of the movement will be using much less weight. Thanks

Josh

if you put some time into it and train doing lots of preacher curls and hammer curls plus some wrist work you can pull back at 90 degrees and win most of the time at 90 degrees they roll there shoulder over your arm and try to push your arm down thats when hammer curls will pull him out of his grove and make him weaker then you can pull him up and push him down good luck in your armwrestling :D

Thanks for that.....i was thiniking of doing partials.....like from 90 up......and from 180 to 90......and then full range......do you think this will help me?

Yup, Thats kind of what I was getting at.

Partials are good, but dont let them be the end all of training.

Do full range also.

That will work

Yup, Thats kind of what I was getting at. 

Partials are good, but dont let them be the end all of training.

Do full range also.

That will work

Yeah I was gonna do hammers this way...full range then partials......

Thanks for yor input!

just do both. variety is key.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

How can you argue with Babayev result? How ? a lot of people using bodybuiding idealology in their AW training, why? If you training using full range motion dumbell curl, do you think you can last a second against Babayev? Take any bodubuilder, any! take the biggest strongest bber do you think he can last a second against Babayev? I think not! He use an exercise that proven result as being the best in the world at his weight division...what else do you need to think about? What do you mean it may not work for you? a lot of people can curl full range with heavier weight than Babayev, but that doesn't mean squat on the AW table. Until you show me someone using full range (cheat form or not) curl and being the best AWer in the world, I say just watch and learn from the best! Mr. Babayev's method.

I found and added that long-lost Rustam training video to my Youtube page ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_Cn8xJWWM

see range of movement - time 1:43 to 1:51

PS. First two sets Rustam do in full range of movement in order to warm-up. Later Rustam shorten the angles and perform with big loads from the 85-90 degrees angle

my biceps training routine:

1set. 15-20 reps (warm up) in full movement,

2set. 10-12 reps enlarging the weight of dumb-bells, executing from 85 degrees angle,

3set. 8-10 reps enlarging the weight of dumb-bells, executing from 85 degrees angle

4set. 6-8 reps enlarging the weight of dumb-bells, executing from 85 degrees angle

5set. 3-4 reps from max weight, executing from 85 degrees angle

6set. static holds (maintenance) 10 seconds max weight, executing in 85 degrees angle

7set. 8-10 reps. with weight with second series, executing from 85 degrees angle

after 2-3 months I alter training and I make weighted chin-up. After 1 month I come back to dumb-bells

Edited by pawel r

How can you argue with Babayev result? How ? a lot of people using bodybuiding idealology in their AW training, why? If you training using full range motion dumbell curl, do you think you can last a second against Babayev? Take any bodubuilder, any! take the biggest strongest bber do you think he can last a second against Babayev? I think not! He use an exercise that proven result as being the best in the world at his weight division...what else do you need to think about? What do you mean it may not work for you? a lot of people can curl full range with heavier weight than Babayev, but that doesn't mean squat on the AW table. Until you show me someone using full range (cheat form or not) curl and being the best AWer in the world, I say just watch and learn from the best! Mr. Babayev's method.

I believe Taras does full range on most of his exercise movements.

Taras does look like bodybuidler from full range work out. You never know WHAT IF he tries Babayev methods he could go over the hump to the next level. Not that he 's not already great. But he can be better still. I wonder how Babayev fair against Taras

Babayev on left arm beat Taras and Voevoda (on side table- practice table) probably with Voevoda 3:2

I it am not sure, and I disremember in which year

Edited by pawel r

Babayev on left arm beat Taras and Voevoda (on side table- practice table) probably with Voevoda 3:2

I it am not sure, and I disremember in which year

or 2:3 I it am not sure ;)

Rustam has the injuries of right hand in neighbourhood of elbow (sorry sometimes lack me words, this will be in Polish : przyczep łokcia and in Russian : локтевая связка) and therefore Rustam not fight in open category

pawel your biceps training looks very similar to mine. I don't do as many reps with the dumbbells though, I just do warm up set then go to max weight for 5-8 reps and static holds. But I also do chins in between sets of dumbbells.

• 3 weeks later...

In the end, it is about strengthening the involved musculature using a ROM a motion that closely mimics what you might encounter in a match. Perhaps both the use of the partial and full ROM would be best.