Need Help With My 1 Rep Max

Nitro

I have been trying to one rep max on my supergripper on a higher resistance then my last one rep max and I come closer then 1/8 of an inch of closing it. It's been like that for the past 3-4 weeks.

My gripper routine looks like this:

1st set- 10 reps

2nd set- 8 reps

3rd set- 6 reps

4th set- 4 reps

5th set- 2 reps

(all sets increasing resistance of course)

Then negatives and timed holds

Then overcrushes

Then I do my forearm excercises and other grip training.When I'm done with that I rep the supergripper to complete failure.

Is there anything I should change,add or modify to my routine that will increase my crushing grip and help me close that last 1/8 of an inch?

You could back off for a week or two. Or if your main goal is to just see where you're at with the SG, warm up with grippers first, then hit the ISG. The 2nd idea is the most logical if the 1 rep test is your goal on the ISG. Warm up good with the grippers or the ISG and then test. After that, then you can finish your workout. Looking at your gripper workout, I would drop the negatives and times holds, and do negatives and overcrushes in alteration. Neg/OC/Neg/OC. 5-7 secs on the OC.

How any times a week are you doing this workout?

You could back off for a week or two.  Or if your main goal is to just see where you're at with the SG, warm up with grippers first, then hit the ISG.  The 2nd idea is the most logical if the 1 rep test is your goal on the ISG.  Warm up good with the grippers or the ISG and then test. After that, then you can finish your workout.  Looking at your gripper workout, I would drop the negatives and times holds, and do negatives and overcrushes in alteration.  Neg/OC/Neg/OC.  5-7 secs on the OC. 

How any times a week are you doing this workout?

I do this workout once a week. I was having good strength increases with my grip training once a week but lately I've been stuck.However, my forearm strength and size has continued to increase with the once a week training.

If your progress has slowed, its time to change up your routine. Maybe train your grip for a few days in a row and then take a few days off, or even try the new high volume kick that everyone is on lately. If you havent seen it yet, you can find a thread in the main gripboard forum, under the title "High Volume, Madness Explained", or give KTA a try if you haven't already.

Edited by Vice

I am training grippers 5 days a week right now and sledge levering on two of those days. Like Vice said, time to change something. Train your grip specific on a certain few days and then go with the forearm specific.

If your forearm size has increased faster than your grip and you are wanting a stronger grip, have forearms take a back seat for awhile and work grip only.

I came up with this new routine.

Sun- regular grip routine and pinching

Mon-forearms

Tues-grip high volume

Wed-grip high volume

Thur-forearms

Fri-rest

Sat-rest

Sunday I will do my regular grip routine that is stated above.Low reps,negatives,timed holds and overcrushes.Along with some pinching.

Monday I will do the wrist roller,plate wrist curls,levering,hammer curls etc...

Tuesday and wednesday I will do high volume training.How many reps should I do in a day? 500-1000 reps throughout the day?

Thursday I will do the wrist roller,plate wrist curls,levering and hammer curls again.

Friday and saturday is rest days.

So what do you think?

Edited by Nitro

Or do you think I should only train forearms once a week and go by this routine...

Sun- regular grip routine and pinching

Mon-rest

Tues-Forearms

Wed-grip high volume

Thur-grip high volume

Fri-rest

Sat-rest

What is your opinion?

Looks good.

Another variation would be to work Sun-Wed, Rest Thurs, work Fri, Rest Saturday. That day in the middle is real nice.

Looks good. 

Another variation would be to work Sun-Wed, Rest Thurs, work Fri, Rest Saturday.  That day in the middle is real nice.

I agree. I have used this in the past and that day in the middle has usually allowed me to post a PR or two. Not every week mind you, but not too far off from that. I worked from closing the #2 to the BBSM in about 5 weeks using this schedule. About a week after that almost closed the BBGM 1/4" from close. A week and a half later and I'm at 1/8" from close. I figure, 2 more weeks and I should hear the handles go click. I'm going to stick with that routine for a few more weeks or until the PRs stop coming.

pc

Looks good. 

Another variation would be to work Sun-Wed, Rest Thurs, work Fri, Rest Saturday.  That day in the middle is real nice.

I agree. I have used this in the past and that day in the middle has usually allowed me to post a PR or two. Not every week mind you, but not too far off from that. I worked from closing the #2 to the BBSM in about 5 weeks using this schedule. About a week after that almost closed the BBGM 1/4" from close. A week and a half later and I'm at 1/8" from close. I figure, 2 more weeks and I should hear the handles go click. I'm going to stick with that routine for a few more weeks or until the PRs stop coming.

pc

Damn, porkchop, thats some seriously quick progress... maybe I should give this schedule a try.

I decided to do forearms twice a week. Should I do one day hard and the other day easy?

I want to train both days hard but want to know your opinions first.

Edited by Nitro

It all depends on what you can handle and how smart you are about it. You can try high and heavy, but over an extended time you will falter. I have grown up and I now see that when you go nuts out the whole time you are gonna suck and working harder on days you suck gets you hurt. Now I go hard and when my workout is not where it should be, or my head isn't in it, I scrap it until next time. Trial and error grasshopper. It would be great if we could lay out a plan and how to do it, but for you to gain you have to find what works for you. Reps, sets, volume, frequency, time, whatever, all you. Lay out a plan, and work with it, if and when it stops working, it's time to work on it.

It all depends on what you can handle and how smart you are about it.  You can try high and heavy, but over an extended time you will falter.  I have grown up and I now see that when you go nuts out the whole time you are gonna suck and working harder on days you suck gets you hurt.  Now I go hard and when my workout is not where it should be, or my head isn't in it, I scrap it until next time.  Trial and error grasshopper.  It would be great if we could lay out a plan and how to do it, but for you to gain you have to find what works for you.  Reps, sets, volume, frequency, time, whatever, all you.  Lay out a plan, and work with it, if and when it stops working, it's time to work on it.

I decided to try one day heavy with low heavy reps along with negatives.

Then the other day train with light weight but high reps.

I was wondering though what if I train my forearms hard on my heavy day and I'm still a little sore when my light day arrives? Do I still follow my routine and workout light or not workout at all?

What about traing grip with the gripper if my forearms are sore from wrist curls,wrist roller etc.?

I'm used to training once a week and getting plenty of rest and recovery before my next grip/forearm workout.I'm just trying to make sure that I wouldn't be overtraining or anything.

Edited by Nitro

Personally I would still do the light workout if my forearms were a little sore because you wont be stressing your muscles a whole lot. I wouldn't worry about overtraining. As Heath said, he works grip 5 days out of the week, and I have made great progress working grippers 6 days a week.

Personally I would still do the light workout if my forearms were a little sore because you wont be stressing your muscles a whole lot.  I wouldn't worry about overtraining. 

Nothing like a good light workout to help ease the soreness.